PDA

View Full Version : The PokéCommunity Singing Contest 2010

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 4th, 2010, 02:03 AM
When's the last time we've done an official one for these? Ages, certainly. So after years of procrastination, gaming, Xbox Live time killing, etc., Geoff and I thought it would be a good time to bring back the Singing Contest.

The PokéCommunity Singing Contest 2010
The way the official Singing Contest works is that Geoff and I, the two judges, will listen to your submissions. So, how good are you a singer? Want to prove you're the best? Participate, win, and get a PokéCommunity emblem! (Approval pending.)
http://idisk.me.com/sotomura/Public/Pictures/Skitch/2010singingcontestemblem-20100224-112245.png

You have two choices: to sing with a backing track, or to sing without any instruments at all (though the instruments may help). The instrumental track shouldn't be too loud to the point we can't hear your voice. This can be an existing song but it can't have a lead singer in it - so look for an instrumental version of a song and add your voice to it!

So what is it you need to enter this contest? A voice. And, you need a microphone - or else, how can you sing? Just get a recording application (Audacity, QuickTime Player, Sound Recorder), and sing away!

But first, a list of the way the contest works:

One submission per person.
If you post a newer one, it will not be counted.

You may submit a full song or one part.
Sing the chorus or sing the whole song - we'd prefer the latter.

Entries are rated from a score of 1 to 10.
We'll give your submission a rating from terrible (1) to frickin' awesome (10). You win if you gain the highest score (out of 10). Even if you're clearly tone-deaf, we're not going to delete your entry. Your submissions will be judged by Geoff (Morkula) and I, who will work out the score from deliberating the track.

Do not download a track from the internet and claim it's your singing.
If we find you've pulled the track from YouTube or someplace else off the internet, your entry will be disqualified.

Your track must not have vocals from the lead singer.
We want to hear your voice (and maybe a minor backing singer who isn't loud) only, and nobody else's.

Attach your entries.
It's just easier for us to get them that way. The format should be WAV, MP3 or AAC, and may be compressed in a zip file if the file is too large.

Submissions end at 11:59 PM on Thursday March 12.
This thread will be locked after this time and judging will begin.

So without further ado, let's begin!

Okami Chi
March 4th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Question: I do vocals for my band, could I have rock music in the background if you can still hear my voice?

-Okami

Starr Leonhart
March 4th, 2010, 06:53 AM
i have a question.
can we submit a video?

Lady Gaga
March 4th, 2010, 06:56 AM
May I please join this? :3

EmeraldSky
March 4th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Can you sing as a character? (has a decent version of Paradaisu where she sang as Brock)

Usagi-Chan~
March 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Must join! Also March 14 is a Sunday, not a Thursday.

_Dean_
March 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I cannot believe Geoff didn't tell me about this!! T___T

I'm in. :P

Bluerang1
March 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
We clearly know who's winning this. *searches for Don't Stop Believing backing track*

Team Rocket's Raichu
March 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I would but I suck at singing. I'll be rooting for the best! :P

KieronGames
March 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Many of my friends say i'm great at singing im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo entering, i think im tone death though xD

EDIT: ive got my lcoket im getting ready to sing! :P my voice sounds weird recorded

EDIT II: Ive got a cold so my voice isnt the same and the part at the beggining is deepened like a narrator :D I am singing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

My rating of my singing = -10/10 (NOTE:The - sign)

ChrisTom
March 4th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Alright, I'd like to sing up. I don't honestly believe I'm that good of a singer, but I'd like to join ASAP. In fact I just recorded myself doing Hotel California by The Eagles, so whenever you want it let me know. Keep in mind my 13 year old voice is awful... But it could be worse. The only thing is that now that I give you my voice you could probably guess what I look like, and then If we ever do something with a video, then you'll see what I look like. I kind of like having my voice unknown, so I'll still be wary about it. But whenever you're ready I am. Just saying...

tee_bird
March 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Recorded videos of Rock Band count?

I really hate the sound of my voice recorded though, so I'll have to think this over.

(I must admit, Magic Man by Heart would be TOO fun)

The Doctor
March 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Reserved my spot, im quite a good singer

kieeeranz
March 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
i would enter but i'm too shy . >//<

KieronGames
March 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
i would enter but i'm too shy . >//<
dont be shy,
i was actually shy when i was recording mine its not so bad

_Dean_
March 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I has a question.. Would you rather we attach this file to our post or in a PM? There wasn't really a specification..

Feign
March 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
rofl... must try to remember to join this.

I think I might sing The Sound of Music's "Doe ray me fa sew la te doe" song. XD WITH AN ACCENT!

_Dean_
March 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Also do you get brownie points for your own material?

mew²
March 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm in, I'll record it tomorrow after school.
Also, if you cannot find an instrumental version of your song, VM or PM me.
I can get a intrumental version for every song.

Lady Gaga
March 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Can I make it a video? I'll be doing Close Every Door from Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, if so :3

Kagome
March 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Can it be any song..like japanese sogs anime..or just english

Lo~li~Pop
March 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Ello! Here is my submission!

These two lyrics are actually from a song that is by me. I would have done all of it, but the file would have been too big. So I hope this will do. ^3^

wee187
March 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I utterly am crap at singing, though I have a friend that's awesome at it... too bad she's not into Pokemon at all, she won't join lmao. Good luck to all who enter!

Yamikarasu
March 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I'm going to try and enter. I've recorded a few songs with me singing and playing guitar so I'll use one of those.

Drapionmaster
March 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Original Pokemon themesong, anyone?

~Night
March 4th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I might enter. I'm going to have to find my mic, though...

~Night

emoBill™
March 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I don't have a mic, so I used my keyboard and synth'd the beat and chords and such. Does that still count?
It's also on a Youtube video. I don't know how to make it mp3 or anything.
Unless I used Youtube2mp3, which doesn't like my computer ._.

Here's the link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQ8XevF6kg)

... ;___;

Bay Alexison
March 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
When's the last time we've done an official one for these? Ages, certainly. So after years of procrastination, gaming, Xbox Live time killing, etc., Geoff and I thought it would be a good time to bring back the Singing Contest.
Does the Singing Contest in the Get Together thing from last year count? D: *gets shot*

Anyways, most likely not entering seeing I still have a scratchy throat after I got sick during last December. :< Also, no mike. >.> However, looking forward to the entries here. :)

KieronGames
March 5th, 2010, 01:15 AM
oh come on everyone!
only 2 entries?! o.O
more, More, MOre, MORe, MORE!

Team Rocket's Raichu
March 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I change my mind. I might enter after I get over my sore throat.

Krystallyn
March 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I might do this, but I don't have a microphone. Anyone know where I can get one for a cheap price? I'm in California, so that might help...

nokyo-chan
March 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm so entering this!!

Get ready everbody, because nokyo-chan is going to sing Still Alive and WIN.

And if I lose, it'll be okay; I'll make a neat gun for the people who are still alive, because when you're dead I'll be still alive.

WonderGirl
March 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
im not that good at singing, but i feel like participating just for fun ^^

007manyo
March 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM
if i can borrow a mic from my dad, i'll totally enter! ROXXOR!

blueblur155
March 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM
i might just enter this competition....And win. But I'm sure you all knew that part already.

Graceful
March 6th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Me Singing First Love by Utada Hikaru
Only The First Verse & Chorus. I Keep Mucking Up In The Second Verse! Anyways Here You Go! And To All The People Entering - If You Don't Win, It's For Fun, Right?

Heres The Link On My 4shared ~ http://www.4shared.com/file/235585052/e2be1ffb/Me_Singing_First_Love__For_PC_.html
Heres It On YouTube Too! (Under My 2nd Account) ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgSyHPjt1Io

KieronGames
March 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
he hem i think we all know whos going to win here:
-scans around the forum for winner-

jefflee915
March 6th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Ooh, I'll definitely give this one a try.. People tell me that i'm very good but i don't think I'm THAT good soo anyways, this will be fun!

Saltare.
March 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
This interests me...I'll give it a try.

Question, can I have headphones in my ears and sing? Or have it playing softly?

Azonic
March 6th, 2010, 04:23 PM
lalalala poker face

ill probably change this b/c im indecisive / perfectionist / hungry so yeah

derk says i sound like a woman :(lol

slashedsickness
March 7th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I was doing good until the ending, but anyway, this is it. I can play it on guitar too, but that would take away from my singing, wouldn't it?

Bluerang1
March 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
DILEMMA! My phone go tlost so I need to use my sister's phone as a recorder and there're always people home so I can't really record. Maybe I'll just go in the garden. And I have to add a backing track as well... *sigh*

Mira
March 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
hmm... would it be acceptable if I did harmony to my own voice? :3
(as in, record me signing harmony to my recorded singing... >.>')

Bluerang1
March 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Oh my this isn't working out for me. I'm not sounding good on tape. I need the house empty! Does the competition end on Sunday or Thursday?

Mudkipable
March 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I might enter, but I gotta find a mic firstttt :3

Bluerang1
March 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'll stop annoying with my life issues and post this one now. I've figured that whatever I do, I'll still not sound as good as I do real-life because I'm using a phone mic. I need a studio. Also forgive me for my proudness but I do believe I'm a pretty darn good singer. Just need to be better at holding notes.

Anyway, here's a shortened version of Glee Cast - Don't Stop Believin' I try to make backing music with my voice as I can't really be bothered with recording my voice and then then adding the backing in audacity. It just didn't work the first time I tried :( So yeah, the Entry should be attached :)

lalalala poker face

ill probably change this b/c im indecisive / perfectionist / hungry so yeah

derk says i sound like a woman :(lol

Best one I've heard so far!!! Love it! The tone and everything, really sound like Stephanie and all :D Now I'm not so confident about winning "/

Digimon Kaiser
March 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
If I had a mic, I'd do this, even if my voice is just... barely decent. Anyways, the song I would do would be "Evo" from Digimon Tamers (Japanese Version of the 3rd series).

.Aero
March 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I may enter but I a few things to do before I do:

- Ask my dad to hook up this mini-recording studio he got me for Christmas (I didn't think I'd ever find a use for it).
- Learn to play the piano part and sing at the same time.
- Find a decent camera to record myself playing/singing.
- Learn lyrics to Home Sweet Home (Mötley Crüe thank you very much).

jefflee915
March 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Just gotta find a good song now..hopefully I'll get this done in time

emoBill™
March 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
If I had a mic, I'd do this, even if my voice is just... barely decent. Anyways, the song I would do would be "Evo" from Digimon Tamers (Japanese Version of the 3rd series).
What I don't get is why people post here saying "I would do this, but I can't." If you can't participate, then don't post.
._.;

Iarama
March 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
+
Wow very few entrys could someone give me a link to a good recording device thats free and doesnt require a micropone I'm kind of bass but I'd love to enter just for the sake of getting a shot at it.

NoriakiZ
March 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Wait, I'm confizzled. Can we sing ANY song we want? If so, prepare to wish you were deaf!

_Dean_
March 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
The best advice I can give to anybody that doesn't wanna buy a mic is to use someones Mac. I'll be using Garage Band on my friends MacBookPro, but all Macs come packed with good mics in them.

I won't be recording mine until Wednesday.

Iarama
March 7th, 2010, 07:14 PM
:( I dont have a mac I used to but now I dont guess its up to a video camera and rockband @_@!!!

Twiruto
March 8th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I am soooo going to win this.

Mira
March 8th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I admire your confidence ^.^
The only thing is, you're never sure just who's going to swoop in and win it all... Which is why I'm afraid to put mine up >.>'...
Anywho, good luck to everyone!

(Oh, and I was lucky enough to be able to use the mic on my mac... makes life easier...)

slashedsickness
March 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
No offense, but my entry is better :D

You won't win if you don't enter...

Mira
March 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Oh ho ho... is that a challenge? >;3
I do love Relient K, though...

I'll probably put mine up tonight... Though I'm still not sure whether I'm allowed to sing harmony to my own singing or not xD

ji
March 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hmmm. I'll definitely need to enter this. :'D

edit:
GRAHH FILE TOO BIG EVEN AFTER EXTRACTING THE MP3 >_____o

if a youtube video is okay, I guess I'll enter my version of "Us" by Regina Spektor.
sorry for crap quality, was taken on very bad webcam. >_o
I'm also playing the piano, so... @ w@;; multi-tasking!
sorry for my ugly mug, as well >///>;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kz4MrbGT80

slashedsickness
March 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Good luck to you then! I'm already entered, so I can't do anything now but sit back and watch to see who wins. The last 30 seconds of mine are the most wordy, and worst of all, I was operating on about 50% breath so I could barely get the words out. Mine is a one-take, A Capella song with no editing, so I think it's pretty good for those circumstances. I've come a long way since I started singing a few months ago. I can actually finish a song now :D

ji
March 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
^
Just a thought 'cuz I'm going into Music Ed next year >w>;
To help your breathing, posture = KEYYY.
If you're slumped over, your diaphragm is gonna be working over-time.
Sit up straight, shoulders back, head straight up and down.
Also, if you over-enunciate too much, or move your mouth unnecessarily, you lose air that way.
You don't have to move your mouth so much to get the words out. C: And you don't have to have your mouth wide open to be loud, either.
Also, doing exercises, such as taking in a deep breath and slowly releasing it on "ssss" for as long as you can can help build up your stamina c:
Just... trying to be helpful Cx

tehGDS
March 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I want to join~ :) I got an japanese song, its my pop song

Honest
March 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I will try to get in a song. xD

Iarama
March 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
GWAHAHA I AM ENTERING! I'm stupid I just plugged my Rock Band mic into my computer and walla instant crappy Kareoke. Anyone like Taylor Swift's Love Srory? If so prepeare to hate it!

_Dean_
March 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM
GWAHAHA I AM ENTERING! I'm stupid I just plugged my Rock Band mic into my computer and walla instant crappy Kareoke. Anyone like Taylor Swift's Love Srory? If so prepeare to hate it!

I already hate it. lol

I've still unanswered questions. T__T Ahem,
Would you rather we attach this file to our post or in a PM? There wasn't really a specification..
Also do you get brownie points for your own material? :>

KieronGames
March 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
so u all think ur going to win eh?
BEHOLD THE ALMIGHTY KIERON >:)

Porygon-Z
March 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM
If this is still open I might record/ dig out a recording!
Can we use songs we wrote ourselves?

Heather
March 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I am totally thinking of doing this. I just have to find my mic adaptor. Be prepared to be amazed.

TheAppleFreak
March 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm going to enter with either a version of the Billy Crawford remix of the original Pokémon theme or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ).

parkwater
March 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
i would love to enter only problem don't know how to redord something and send it to u all lol
shame b/c i would totaly win this thing

fango pango
March 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM
i can enter :)
i jsut cant now cos i can only enter one of my utube vids ad they both have the voices XD
soz :P

Lie Ren
March 10th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Posting here.. just to convince myself to actually edit his later on with an entry.

Not playing to win, just thought it would be fun to enter. XD

cartercr
March 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
(Pulling out a list of Honor Choirs I've been in.) Yeah, I'll give this a shot. I hope my mom will let me on the computer, because I can't record at school...

jahz
March 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Sigh...I can't belive i talked myself into this...I CAN'T (CAN@T) SING!

Anyhow im waiting on an instrumental.

Porygon-Z
March 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
If anybody want's me to change any mp3s to karaoke format for them, I can do that. Just PM me if you need anything!

Tsukiyo
March 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I should totally enter this with the original Pokemon theme song...XP

Krystallyn
March 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I should totally enter this with the original Pokemon theme song...XP

That's exactly what I'm going to do!! I'm going to sing the original; the longer version.

TheAppleFreak
March 10th, 2010, 03:49 PM
That's exactly what I'm going to do!! I'm going to sing the original; the longer version.

And I'm singing the remix of it from the first movie. :P

Krystallyn
March 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM
And I'm singing the remix of it from the first movie. :P

AWESOME!!!! I can't wait!!!

Skitty Crazy
March 10th, 2010, 04:16 PM
ARGGH, I just finished recording mine, and my MP3 froze... Darn it! T_T

Oh well. I suppose it will fix itself soon, it always does...

Tsukiyo
March 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
This is a whole lot harder than one would think...x.x;
The versus themselves sound fine, but I'm having trouble with the chorus because of the 'Pokemon! Gotta catch 'em all!' in the background. Echo effect /= group of people.

LightOfTruth
March 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Good luck everyone. No way im taking part though :cer_blankstare:

Skitty Crazy
March 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Yay, I got it working again! (And none too soon!)

Now... How to attach files...

Shoot! My file is too big. >w< Maybe I'll just upload it to Youtube all fast-like...

Morkula
March 11th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Just a reminder that entries will no longer be accepted after 11:59 PM PST tonight (2:59 AM EST). Entries must be attached in posts unless you absolutely cannot fit them - in that case you can leave a link, but attachments really are preferred.

Skitty Crazy
March 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
ARGH. "Only allowed to post URLs if you've posted 15 times" excuse me while I find some topics.

Tada! Ready!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtO_zKDkiwo

Hope you enjoy... ^_^

Mira
March 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Oh boy... I really don't want to put this up, but... I guess I have to now >w<
Umm... So here it is... *hides*

Tsukiyo
March 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Wait, tonight?
But the front page says the 14th!

...True, it also says Thursday, but that's beside the point.

Bluerang1
March 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Wait, tonight?
But the front page says the 14th!

...True, it also says Thursday, but that's beside the point.

I've asked the guy to fix it for so long, no reply or change, but I made sure I got mine in by the thursday just in case :)

_Dean_
March 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Here's my entry. Sorry if the quality is bad, couldn't use the mac. D:
Excuse the emoness. Also, I'm fully aware that this music sounds exactly like "Okay I believe you, but my Tommy gun don't" by Brand New. This isn't a professional song. I play music I enjoy playing regardless if it sounds like other songs, that's great that you may have noticed but this is still my song and no any other song it may sound exactly like. kthanxbai
Lyrics
All my friends think I'm gone
But none of them really know what's going on
Nobody else sees
What's happening or what's wrong with me

I feel like I've been a slave
To my own words and to my own ways
I need to feel like I'm not
Just another body for another bag with a knot

Tie these loose ends..
Before I go crazy
If you just wanna be friends
Then stop saying "maybe"

Oh the days when I was wrong
I wish I were wrong about you
Because I said from day one
I couldn't live without you

Oh the days when I was wrong
I wish I were wrong about you
Because I knew on day one
I'd break my own heart for you

No it's not all about me
If it's not our life than what should it be?
I already checked myself before
I wanted you from the start and nothing more

What's so wrong with that
You were my best friend
But on the bright side we learned a lesson
To never get close to someone again

I still miss you
Never got to kiss you
I never got that chance

I wrote you six letters
You said it was better
Than any romance

Movies are your thing
And you always said to me
This was just like the movies
But it ended with you losing me

Sonikku
March 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Can I enter? Oh man now what to sing the original pokemon theme son whouln't be to cleche whould it? Mabey something form suessiscal or Crush 40

Spinor
March 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm only doing this out of boredom and probably a phonogenocide attempt. Gonna be a great way to start spring break.

Tsukiyo
March 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Okay, there's no time to work out how to make the Pokemon theme song sound like the original without background singers, so instead, here's my rendition of Koi wo Shiyou Yo:

_Dean_
March 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Just 58 minutes! Good stuff so far, everybody! Nice work. ^^;

I wonder if there'll be any more entries? o__o; I think the next contest should be a "screaming" contest. lol

Morkula
March 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Results should be posted right after we close the contest, unless we have any last-minute entries. So in about another 40 minutes.

Amu
March 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Ah, I wanna enter this! Don't close it! I'll record now. :D

Morkula
March 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Sorry, it's 2:59 AM EST and you didn't have an entry attached by then. So the contest is officially closed. Maybe you should try again next time. D:
And with that, I'm going to *Lock* this and make the results thread.