PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of monogamy?

Jolene
March 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I personally would not want to have more than one husband, but for people who would want to have more I don't see why it isn't allowed. If everyone is happy with it then I don't see what's wrong.

Is monogamy just one of those ideals which we adopted from The Bible and just decided to stick with for the sake of convenience?

Zet
March 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I think it's one of those things from the bible. But you wouldn't want your husband to have multiple wives, now would you?

emoBill™
March 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
It's probably from the Bible.
But I think it's fairness to the husband/wife as well.
You wouldn't want your husband/wife to have to divide their affections :/
I know I'd be really jealous and always feel like I'm in a competition.

TRIFORCE89
March 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Don't blame the Bible. You can blame organized religion if you want. Polygamy exists in the Old Testament and is ambiguous in the New Testament.

Now, polygamy is illegal in many places around the globe, but for Western society...I believe it's illegal because well...generally its an aspect of cult. Generally involving a kind of slave aspect and abuse. It's also seen as demeaning to women. Mormans usually aren't too persecuted on the issue. It seems to be legit for their religion and free of tax evasion.

Personally, I'm against it. If you and you're partner are okay with an open marriage, go right ahead. If you want to fool around otherwise, be prepared to face the consequences. If you don't really want to commit to one person, don't get married. The husband coming home and going "Hi honey. Meet the new wife." seems bizarre.

the bitter end.
March 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Not sure where the anti-polygamy thing came about.

I used to be really socially conservative, but my views have changed significantly. So I can say that I'm for legalizing polygamy as much as I am for legalizing everything else. Making it illegal is just a violation of freedom.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
March 7th, 2010, 11:30 PM
In Islam, polygamy is accepted so long as you are able to support all your wives equally and if all your wives consent to your marriages. Men are only allowed to have a maximum of four wives. Women may only have one husband and no more for logical reasons. Those logical reasons include the fact that if the ovum is fertilised, how do you know who is the father?

Before you start on Dna testing and such things, they didn't have that a few hundred years ago. Well, that's my view on the matter. About women not being allowed to have more than one husband, but men being allowed to have four in Islam.

JadedIguana
March 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
People in charge don't like it. So they ban it. It's not just the Bibles fault. However, I'd imagine that it could cause some jealousy issues, and that's also why it's banned. I think it should be free to people, but eh, I'm not in charge.

Cassino
March 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
You could just have like five boyfriends you live with and that's that. There is no reason in today's world that polygamy should be disallowed, but marriage doesn't go to mean much if you're all together anyway.

Before you start on Dna testing and such things, they didn't have that a few hundred years ago.
But they do now.

NiKaNoRoU
March 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM
It's not just about the Bible. I don't know any woman or man that would want to become a part of someone's harem, as long as the other one will love multiple individuals.

Plus, economy, bachelor life and morals coming from both the husband and the wife do not allow polygamy nowadays. And especially that women are more independent, and do not pledge to one man anymore.

P.S: guys, it's not from the bible. Abraham and co. had more than one wife, remember?

Living Desert
March 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
The divorce rate in the US is approx. 50%. Let's figure out this banning gay marriage BS before we concentrate on polygamy as a serious issue.

Polygamy is illegal because it's viewed to be irresponsible on many levels. Dividing attention is one, dividing finances, the projected quality of living conditions, the definition of marriage and the official vows required to be stated in order to make a marriage official under US law make it impossible for multiple marriages to be recognized, overpopulation. The law against polygamy has been challenged in court before, and it so far has proved ironclad. There isn't a contemporary judge in the US that would legalize a polygamous marriage system.

Esper
March 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Some people have exclusive (I'd say "monogamous" but it doesn't quite fit) 3-way relationships with mutual attraction among all three.

Before you start on Dna testing and such things, they didn't have that a few hundred years ago.
The only reason I can see why it would matter who your biological parents are is so you know if cancer runs in the family or other medical things like that. Your family are the people you live with and (hopefully) love.

The Cynic
March 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
This is a very good discussion. I personally think they should allow bigamy. I think it's awful to disallow someone to split their affections equally between two individuals. The alternative is for one person to commit adultery; is that better? If the husband/wife knows about the other husband/wife then it should be legal.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and yes the bible is partially to blame for the current legal standing on the matter.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
March 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
But they do now.Yeah, but you really couldn't write "Hey yeah, no woman may have more than one husband till the human race one day finds out how to identify people by their cellular structure. kthxbai." in the holy books. Formally or informally.

Well actually, it's to prevent complications from occurring...

♣Gawain♣
March 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
There's a question, can you support more than 1 wife? Or do you risk having the chance of getting genetic disorders to rise?

Having one companion that truly loves you and shares your interest is enough. I don't see the point of switching your wives back and forth. :/ Besides, it would be rude to think.

The Cynic
March 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM
There's a question, can you support more than 1 wife? Or do you risk having the chance of getting genetic disorders to rise?

Having one companion that truly loves you and shares your interest is enough. I don't see the point of switching your wives back and forth. :/ Besides, it would be rude to think.

What? The two wives aren't related to one another. Also, everyone won't be bigamist, that's just silly.

It might not be enough... you could love two people equally. What do you do then? Go for one of them and then betray them by having an affair? Flip a coin? In my opinion it should be legal so long as both husbands/wives consent.

.Gamer
March 9th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I don't know why. I mean, I wouldn't want more than one wife nagging at me all the time, but I guess if thats what your into than go for it. But I think based on moral ethics that you should treat all of your spouses equally, and be able to support them.

Sotto Voce
March 9th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I think polygamy isn't right just because it's so demeaning to women. If it were otherwise, I'd find myself a jealous person and feeling uncomfortably competitive. D:

Akari
March 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Well, one of the reason why it's an advantage is because with two parents dedicated to raising their own children which are all their, the children will have healthier lives and grow up happier. There are exceptions, yes, but this seems to be the case for the majority of the time.
Polygamy also has serious issues with irresponsibility and stability of the relationships held, so yeah. Chances are, a polygamous relationship has a much higher chance of being broken up simply because there is more room for jealousy and misbehavior in such a relationship.

Porygon-Z
March 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I think people are jealous by nature, and I think eventually it would get to you. I wouldn't want anyone cheating on me. I think if there was a need for another partner I'd be asking myself why I wasn't enough on my own.

Throat
March 11th, 2010, 02:38 AM
You could just have like five boyfriends you live with and that's that. There is no reason in today's world that polygamy should be disallowed, but marriage doesn't go to mean much if you're all together anyway.

But they do now.
I don't think their social rules have changed much (don't get as a critic).

Well, it should be ok if everyone agrees, but the fact it is illegal never kept anyone from having relationships as solid as a marriage with someone else.

Idiot!
March 13th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I'd love to see the drama in a polygamy divorce.

Xebelleon
March 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM
What if 'person' wants husband/wife and a girlfriend/boyfriend on the side? Or the BFGF on the side is agreed upon by both involved?

I see more women than men in my city.

Immigration