PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Discussion

SBaby
March 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM
So yeah. I looked around and there doesn't seem to be a recent topic about this game. So I figured that since I'd gotten my copy a couple days ago, I'd start a thread about it here for people to discuss it. I know alot of people are wondering what others think about it. In fact, there are probably a few of you out there that may or may not buy it based on what I say. So I will give my input on it right now.

I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as I can, since the game hasn't officially come out yet. The only real reason I have my copy this early is because one of the stores I do business with got their stock in early (and I usually get tons of product samples from them anyway). But I imagine there are others that have one by now.

Anyway, so far, the story's not too bad. I'm at Chapter 6 upon writing this, and thus far, the narrative seems to be done through a combination of flashbacks and cutscenes that show you what's currently going on. In fact, a majority of Cocoon is seen through flashbacks, as opposed to actually being visited in the present. One thing that you're going to notice is that after Chapter 3, there isn't really a central character anymore (at least not that I noticed). The flashbacks and cutscenes are seen through multiple perspectives, and you get to see each of your party members' takes on what's going on, as opposed to there being one main character responding to everything around him. I prefer this approach, simply because it has a larger scale feel to it. You've got your serious character, your comedy relief, your rookie, your over zealous heroic type, your nature freak and your oddball. Anyway, it's not too bad so far. It's a pretty straightforward plot, but it gets the job done, and the characters all have their own motives for being in the party.

For the most part, the English voices are pretty decently done, and just like previous games, they sound very movie-like. However I will say that I can't stand Vanilla's forced accent-sounding voice. It's like her English voice actor couldn't figure out if she wanted her to be Australian, European, or just American. While it's not a game breaking problem, it does get a little comical and quite a bit distracting during a few of the scenes. Minor issue, but something that I think needed to be mentioned.

As for the gameplay. I don't normally use magazine reviews as bases for any of my opinions, but I think Playstation Magazine probably said it best when they used the word 'streamlined'. The game is very linear. I have yet to run into a single sidequest, and from what I've read everywhere else, there really aren't any until toward the end of the game. I guess there are monster hunt missions in Chapter 11, but I haven't gotten there yet, so I don't know what those'll be all about. I'll probably post about it once I get there.

There really aren't any towns. In fact, the only time you ever see peaceful towns or cities is in cutscenes. And you seem to have Zidane's Curse too, so whenever you think you're about to enter a town, it either gets destroyed or you come under attack and you're forced through another combat area instead, or it ends up not being what you think it is. By the way, you can't get back into alot of those places afterward. So it definitely feels like you're sent straight from one point to another. So far, I really haven't been able to backtrack. I don't know if that'll change. Like I said, I'm only in Chapter 6. And by the way, Pulse, where a majority of the game takes place in, is nothing but wilderness and a couple defunct bases.

All your shopping is done through the Save Points that are scattered around the maps. Fortunately, there are alot of them, and each boss fight is preceded by a Save Point right before them. So you can make last minute adjustments, purchases and upgrades to your party before fighting them. And you will want to, because boss fights are tough.

Speaking of combat, I do want to go over this, because there seems to be alot of misconceptions about the battle system. First and foremost, you only control one character, and that character is set as your Party Leader which you can't change once battle begins. Anyone who's played a Persona game knows what I mean by this. Yes, if your party leader dies, the game is over right then and there. No auto-revive, no Phoenix Down, no nothing. Just Game Over. And yes, this has happened to me twice already. Although the first time was me being a moron and thinking that a battle was unwinnable, when actually I just had to hit the SQUARE button during a certain point. It was actually really easy once I noticed it.

Now that that's out of the way, the battle system is more of a modified version of the ATB systems from past Final Fantasies. Unlike previous games though, you actually pick what you want to do ahead of time and then the bar fills up, as opposed to the bar filling up first. So if you want to attack twice, pick two Attack commands and the bar will fill two ticks before doing both attacks consecutively. Same thing with Magic and Skills. It levels up over time, and you eventually get to the point where you can do 6 attacks at a time. The bar always fills at the same speed (under normal circumstances), so it effectively increases your overall rate of fire.

One thing that is very different is the Paradigm system. Basically, each character can assume one of 6 different battle modes. Each one specializes in certain things. The Commando specializes in physical attacks. Ravagers specialize in attack magic and stagger damage. Sentinels do pretty much nothing but guarding (great for when you know a boss is about to unleash a major attack). Medics heal the party. Saboteurs debuff enemies. Utilizing these different modes is one of the biggest keys to staying alive in combat. In fact, there will be regular battles where you'll find yourself having to Paradigm Shift every 5 to 10 seconds. This is just something that you'll need to get adjusted to. Fortunately, it takes one button and no time to do this.

There is a stagger system, which is similar to the Break system from Xenosaga, where if you fill the bar, the enemy goes into a weakened state where its attacks do less damage and it takes more damage for a time. This is important to keep in mind, because some bosses and enemies are virtually immune to any appreciable damage until they're staggered. Yes, you'll even find your strongest weapons merely chipping away at the hides of these tough enemies until then. Ravagers excel at doing stagger damage, so you definitely want one of those during these situations.

Summons also make a return. Each character gets 1 of 6 Eidolons, which they can use if they're the Party Leader. In other words, only one summon is available in any given battle. And due to the way the Tech system works, Summoning can only be used a maximum of one time per battle. That said, it seems the Summon designs had some influence from Transformers. Instead of resembling monsters, which has been the staple of past Final Fantasies, the summons this time around are more robotic and even transform during combat. In fact, your characters will mount them after a certain amount of time has passed. This is where the battle system changes significantly. During this mode, the battle system resembles something found in an action game rather than one found in an RPG. You mash buttons and input combinations in an effort to dish out as much damage as possible before time runs out. Afterward, the attack culminates with the Eidolon's burst attack, doing one final massive blast of damage, ending the sequence in a flashy manner.

After battle, you are rated from 1 to 5 stars. Depending on your performance, you will earn items and materials at the end of each fight, which range from Potions to items that may be necessary to create new upgraded weapons. In addition, you are also awarded CP, which is used to upgrade your different Paradigm Modes through the Sphere Grid-like Crystarium. Instead of directly improving your characters, you actually upgrade their different Paradigms. In other words, each battle mode comes with different stats, in addition to different attacks. All this sounds daunting, but honestly, it took me a mere couple hours to get used to it all and come up with a decent setup for handling most battles. It also helps that your party is fully healed after each battle.

Overall, it's not bad so far. I don't know if it'll stay that way, but so far I can say that they did a pretty good job. It definitely feels different from most other games, but as they say, sometimes change is good. It's definitely an improvement over FFX.

ヴェントゥス
March 7th, 2010, 04:58 PM
No matter how the game looks to me. I'll try it out.
But I first need a PS3. Im not a huge Final Fantasy Fan, But I'll play it still just to see how the game play, the story is.
But no matter how many bad reviews, or what people say about it. I'll get it based on the trailer.
-I'm a sucker for the trailers- :3

SBaby
March 7th, 2010, 05:10 PM
No matter how the game looks to me. I'll try it out.
But I first need a PS3. Im not a huge Final Fantasy Fan, But I'll play it still just to see how the game play, the story is.
But no matter how many bad reviews, or what people say about it. I'll get it based on the trailer.
-I'm a sucker for the trailers- :3

It is a good game so far, and I like most of the changes. For instance, the battle system is awesome, and once you get used to it, you'll be blazing through fights faster than you can say 'blue streak'. It would've been nice to have at least a central hub where you could retreat to. But it's still a pretty good game, even without that. It's just very different from what alot of people are expecting. I guess I'm really more concerned that there will be people that feel bait-and-switched when they play it and find out that it's linear almost to the point of being more like an action game than an actual RPG.

Oh. One other little thing. The text. If you don't have a big screen or an HD TV, it will be very difficult to read alot of the text in the menus. The dialogue text isn't a big problem, because it's larger. But the menu text is very small. I'm just giving you a heads up about it.

Bianca Paragon
March 7th, 2010, 05:43 PM
However I will say that I can't stand Vanilla's forced accent-sounding voice. It's like her English voice actor couldn't figure out if she wanted her to be Australian, European, or just American.
Vanille's VA *is* Australian and her voice always sounds Australian, to me :O

ヴェントゥス
March 7th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I heard that FFXIII battle system is similar to X-2.
and I've also heard that if your character you control dies, its game over

Akeraz
March 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
tl;dr.
Looking forward to this game, when i eventually get it.
[won't be for another month or so since I'm broke]
I've seen some Japanese Gameplay, and it looks fun enough.

Razer302
March 8th, 2010, 07:36 AM
getting this tomorrow. I can't wait. Going to finish school, grab it, then go work and after a whole day of waiting till 10pm finally put my copy in and play it till an insane time in the morning. Skipping school the next day to play it as I only have 1 lesson and all he does is hand out a sheet and tell us to do it. I can get a copy and do it whenever.

Didn't like the teailer simply because they use Leona Lewis. urg

parallelzero
March 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm getting my copy when Blockbuster opens at 10am tomorrow, and I booked off two days to play it. XD [/loser]

Though, in my defense (if I can even call it that), I haven't played a decent JRPG in ages, so I need a good dosing. As for what all of the critics are saying about it being too linear, blah blah blah, I could care less what they say. If the characters are interesting and the story is solid, I have no issues with linearity for the first ten or twenty hours or whatever the heck it is. FFX was linear and it was a great game. It just seems like XIII is being held up to XII's standards, which is fine by me if they're different because I found XII to be a huge disappointment in all areas.

SBaby
March 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM

The Spoiler part is true. You do indeed get a Game Over if your selected Party Leader dies. It sounds bad, but know that there are no attacks that outright kill characters in the game. The only thing you really have to worry about is Doom, because there's no defense against it, and they always target the Party Leader with it, and it puts the infamous counter above the character. It effectively puts a time limit on any battle it's used in. And yes, bosses use it too. But most of them are Summon battles which have different objectives that usually just involve pressing SQUARE (or X) at the right time to acquire the Summon.

And I'm not trying to scare anyone here, BUT.......

The final boss uses it too. No fooling.

But the X-2 part isn't. The only thing that's similar to X-2 is that you change between 6 different battle modes. But instead of gaining levels, you upgrade the individual modes for each character. So your characters naturally become more powerful through those. But that also means that if you favor one mode, like if you put everything into Commando, then when it comes time to use a Stagger heavy mode like Ravager, it won't be as good as you need it to be. So there is still quite a bit of strategy and pre-planning involved.

I'm getting my copy when Blockbuster opens at 10am tomorrow, and I booked off two days to play it. XD [/loser]

Though, in my defense (if I can even call it that), I haven't played a decent JRPG in ages, so I need a good dosing. As for what all of the critics are saying about it being too linear, blah blah blah, I could care less what they say. If the characters are interesting and the story is solid, I have no issues with linearity for the first ten or twenty hours or whatever the heck it is. FFX was linear and it was a great game. It just seems like XIII is being held up to XII's standards, which is fine by me if they're different because I found XII to be a huge disappointment in all areas.

It is a good game. I'm having alot of fun with it. And it doesn't have any real resemblance to FFXII, except for the Party Leader being the only controllable character in battle. But I'm going to tell you right now. The battles go so fast that if you COULD control all three characters, you would be utterly overwhelmed with details, and it would probably drive you insane. Battles on average usually last no more than 15 to 20 seconds each, except for a few select battles that are a bit harder but not quite boss fights (the ones you save your Summons for, basically). And in those cases, it's usually either the Summon animation or the Stagger factor that makes the battle take longer.

The cutscenes are probably something that alot of what I call anti-Xenosaga people will get annoyed with. They do get pretty long. For instance, the transition between Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 is probably one of the longest cutscenes I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. But at the same time, there's so much going on in terms of excitement and explosions that you really don't notice it too much. And even with Vanilla's more than a little annoying voice, she gets razzed enough (by Lightning, of course) that it really isn't even much of an issue during some of those scenes.

Cherrim
March 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
The cutscenes are probably something that alot of what I call anti-Xenosaga people will get annoyed with. They do get pretty long. For instance, the transition between Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 is probably one of the longest cutscenes I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. But at the same time, there's so much going on in terms of excitement and explosions that you really don't notice it too much. And even with Vanilla's more than a little annoying voice, she gets razzed enough (by Lightning, of course) that it really isn't even much of an issue during some of those scenes.
Haha, daaaaamnit. D: My excitement for this game (however limited, I will admit--it's just been too long a wait) just dropped a substantial amount. 8( I don't have the patience for long cutscenes anymore, lmao. I suppose if they're action-packed, they won't be too bad... I'll still play it when I get the chance but damn, I've stopped enjoying cutscenes more and more lately. Hopefully FF13's won't bother me too much...

SBaby
March 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Haha, daaaaamnit. D: My excitement for this game (however limited, I will admit--it's just been too long a wait) just dropped a substantial amount. 8( I don't have the patience for long cutscenes anymore, lmao. I suppose if they're action-packed, they won't be too bad... I'll still play it when I get the chance but damn, I've stopped enjoying cutscenes more and more lately. Hopefully FF13's won't bother me too much...

The good news is that they're all skippable. And most of the pre-boss fight cutscenes are fairly brief. It's really what happens between chapters that gets long, because there's so much that goes on during these transitions.

Cherrim
March 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Well, I also hate skipping cutscenes. I'll sooner look away from the TV until the cutscenes are done and just browse the web (so that at least I'm listening to them) than outright skip them. :(

Aizuke
March 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Yeah it's true, because you only control one character on the field.

I'll be getting my copy of FFXIII in a few days time. I could have gotten it today, but I had to pre-order it online, since I don't have time to go shopping. :(

I saw a review on it last night on a TV show, and apparently the people didn't like it compared to FFXII. To be honest, FFXII kinda annoyed me, especially the battle system. o_O

FFXIII's battle system looks good though, how the active bar is used depending on the attack you use. (Does that count as a spoiler? XD;)

I can't wait to play though, since I can't really give my opinion on it now. But from what I've seen, it looks amazing enough, but I guess that's just my FF fanism speaking.

SBaby
March 8th, 2010, 01:07 PM
FFXIII's battle system looks good though, how the active bar is used depending on the attack you use. (Does that count as a spoiler? XD;)

No, not really. Most people know by now how the ATB system works. It's still worth checking out.

Drew
March 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Well, I also hate skipping cutscenes. I'll sooner look away from the TV until the cutscenes are done and just browse the web (so that at least I'm listening to them) than outright skip them. :(

From what I watched.. some of the cutscenes are a normal length, but a few of them are around 8-ish minutes. Still, they're lengthy but awesome. o-o So.. I don't think you'll have to worry about being too bored. xD; If your attention span goes "NOPE" in middle, just stare blankly at the pretty art.. >_>;

Not sure why anyone would wanna skip the cutscenes in this game, personally. xD;

Razer302
March 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I booked 2 weeks off work after this week to play it. I will have it completed pretty fast. Won't be touching MW2 till I do it. Been waiting on this game for so long.

I wasn't a big fan of the FFXII battle style but I grew to like it. I think the gambit sytem allowed for some tactics and thought before a battle. Although the old level up glitch was easy to abuse with it as you could have the lead character use it.

2 hours till i go pick up my copy at midnight release <3

Mana
March 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
My game has been dispatched from Amazon today :) Should be getting it by wednesday but I have my fingers crossed for some post force miracle XD

I quite like how this is often referred to as the inbetween step between X and XII, as looking at the battle system it seems like an almost half way point.

I don't like one-player-death D: I was kind of hoping they might fix that up for the EU version << things often get changed between JP and EU release. Apparently not D: uhoh, better be careful.

(And I thought it was the Dark haired girl that is the aussie not Vanilla? o.O confusion!)

OH and I actually like that Leona Lewis is doing the theme tune, I think the song fits quite nicely :)

Drew
March 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
(And I thought it was the Dark haired girl that is the aussie not Vanilla? o.O confusion!)

Yeahhh, I heard the same thing.

A friend of mine said Fang had an accent, and Vanilla sounded pretty normal. @_@

Mana
March 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Yeahhh, I heard the same thing.

A friend of mine said Fang had an accent, and Vanilla sounded pretty normal. @_@

The trailer agrees that Fang is the Aussie XD must have been a name mix up up there n__n

(Oh and I Love the Summons that are available :3 Especially Hope's)

Calder
March 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
getting this tomorrow. I can't wait. Going to finish school, grab it, then go work and after a whole day of waiting till 10pm finally put my copy in and play it till an insane time in the morning. Skipping school the next day to play it as I only have 1 lesson and all he does is hand out a sheet and tell us to do it. I can get a copy and do it whenever.

Didn't like the teailer simply because they use Leona Lewis. urg

Wait I thought it came out Friday...I was gonna pick it up with my SoulSilver O.O thats alot better

Forgotten_hope
March 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I'm ecstatic for this game. I can not wait. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan.

I'll be going to school, then picking this up at Gamestop, and probably be playing it for the remainder of the night.

I have absolutely no problem with long cutscenes (Metal Gear Solid 4, an hour of cutscenes after the final boss :P), and long gameplay, so, I'm sure I'll enjoy this game greatly.

Calder
March 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm ecstatic for this game. I can not wait. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan.

I'll be going to school, then picking this up at Gamestop, and probably be playing it for the remainder of the night.

I have absolutely no problem with long cutscenes (Metal Gear Solid 4, an hour of cutscenes after the final boss :P), and long gameplay, so, I'm sure I'll enjoy this game greatly.

actually the final cutscene in MGS4 is 2 hours long lol

Anyone getting the nice hardback book with the game? I'll go tomorrow while you guys are at school haha

Bianca Paragon
March 8th, 2010, 08:23 PM
The trailer agrees that Fang is the Aussie XD must have been a name mix up up there n__n

(Oh and I Love the Summons that are available :3 Especially Hope's)
I assure you, Vanille's VA is Australian. Her name is Georgia Van Cuylenburg and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVc1JXTQDf8) is her :D

Calder
March 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I wont be here for like 2 months because of this game...

ヴェントゥス
March 8th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah from watching my friend play his import FFXIII also it seem to have something familiar to the SG system for leveling like in X

Calder
March 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah from watching my friend play his import FFXIII also it seem to have something familiar to the SG system for leveling like in X

I liek mudkipz the leveling system

ヴェントゥス
March 9th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Well, SG system confused me a bit in X, But my friend -who loves FFX- showed me a good way how to use it. I hope I understand 13's leveling system

wee187
March 9th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Can't believe I never saw this thread. I'm so sorry. Got the game at midnight, along with the limited edition Piggyback guide, and a free Snow poster. ;D

Calder
March 9th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Well, SG system confused me a bit in X, But my friend -who loves FFX- showed me a good way how to use it. I hope I understand 13's leveling system

Leveling System (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176731)

Can't believe I never saw this thread. I'm so sorry. Got the game at midnight, along with the limited edition Piggyback guide, and a free Snow poster. ;D

How are you liking it? I'm getting it today when my Gamestop opens

PS Anyone getting the soft drink named "Final Fantasy XIII Elixir"? Its exclusive limited time for the games release it have 3 times the caffeine of a normal soft drink O.O

loliwin
March 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I definitely getting this game on the weekends! :D

The graphics are great, battle system looks so complicated and awesome! Although they took a lot of tradition out like linearity etc. I'm still going to get it!

Heres a random fact......
Out of the 40 gigabytes of the space used for Final Fantasy XIII..... 80% of the data is made out of cutscenes :) . Apporximately 32.6 GB was used for the cutscenes and 6.8GB was used for gameplay. That's pretty massive. Although, the cutscenes look amazing. :)

Calder
March 9th, 2010, 02:20 AM

The graphics are great, battle system looks so complicated and awesome! Although they took a lot of tradition out like linearity etc. I'm still going to get it!

Out of the 40 gigabytes of the space used for Final Fantasy XIII..... 80% of the data is made out of cutscenes :) . Apporximately 32.6 GB was used for the cutscenes and 6.8GB was used for gameplay. That's pretty massive. Although, the cutscenes look amazing. :)

Holy ****...thats alot of cut-scenes....i'll enjoy this movie game like I did Heavy Rain...

ヴェントゥス
March 9th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Leveling System (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176731)

How are you liking it? I'm getting it today when my Gamestop opens

PS Anyone getting the soft drink named "Final Fantasy XIII Elixir"? Its exclusive limited time for the games release it have 3 times the caffeine of a normal soft drink O.O

TBH, 1 up is the worst gaming site to ever go to.

...that stuff will kill you!

DANNNNG! But -this has nothing to do with FFXIII- But in BBS, it doesnt have bubble scenes, all of it is voiced scenes, but you can play more. -just saying- But Wow, more like a movie than game play eh?

Bianca Paragon
March 9th, 2010, 02:46 AM

Which is why it looks SO POO on the 360 version which is only 14GB *total*; that means shrinking 32.6GB worth of cutscenes into just 7GB..

Mana
March 9th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Which is why it looks SO POO on the 360 version which is only 14GB *total*; that means shrinking 32.6GB worth of cutscenes into just 7GB..

Actually I just got my XBox 360 version and it's 3 discs :P So I'd imagine they did that so they can include the same amount of quality.

Bianca Paragon
March 9th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Nope. It's 3 disks, but the game itself themselves (once you over-write the common files that are identical on all 3 discs) are only 14GB. So no, it doesn't even have nearly "the same amount of quality". It looks horrendous with it's butchered 576p bink video cutscenes D:

Calder
March 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM
bull the cut-scenes look amazing...I couldn't find the special drink anywhere sadly did anyone else have luck?

EDIT: Anyone know how to get the special item thing? (and what it is?) I cannot find it on the site anywhere.

Forgotten_hope
March 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM
bull the cut-scenes look amazing...

Do you have an HD TV with 720p/1080p?
Are you using HDMI cables?

If the answer to either of those questions is "No," then that's why you think they look good. The 360's graphics are fine for a non-HD TV, but, on an HD TV, they are just... subpar.

The PS3's are absolutely and completely beautiful.

Gummy
March 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I assure you, Vanille's VA is Australian. Her name is Georgia Van Cuylenburg and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVc1JXTQDf8) is her :D

So that's it! I could quite place my finger on the accent, but I was leaning towards Australian. An interesting change in VAs, at least relative to the games I usually play.

Calder
March 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Do you have an HD TV with 720p/1080p?
Are you using HDMI cables?

If the answer to either of those questions is "No," then that's why you think they look good. The 360's graphics are fine for a non-HD TV, but, on an HD TV, they are just... subpar.

The PS3's are absolutely and completely beautiful.

Your high they don't look bad and I can't tell the difference between my HD 360 and PS3 cut-scenes

Bianca Paragon
March 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Your high they don't look bad and I can't tell the difference between my HD 360 and PS3 cut-scenes
lmao then you're blind. It's a s obvious as the difference between VHS and Blu-Ray. Stop being a fanboy.

Cello
March 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I picked up my pre-order this morning as soon as the gamestop up the street opened.
Two hours later, wouldn't you know it, my xbox 360 had it's way all over the back of disc one.
Luckily gamestop holds a 30-day free defect warranty to these situations. With a 3-disc game you can't find a reason not to purchase a $3 one year warranty after that happened.

I'm at the part where you
Fight the Shiva twins. Or well, they "test your might."

The games great so far... just linear as all get out, as said.
The previews claimed there were no towns but there are towns, they just aren't like in previous Final Fantasy games where they come of importance to you. You can't go revisit them later though, apparently.

The battle system is extremely challenging, in a sense of aiming for a five star rating. At the beginning of the game all I received were five star ratings but later they just kept dropping, leaving me sorely disappointed in myself.
It's hard to find that right paradigm setup. It's really something you just have to experiment with and study up on.

Overall, it's fun so far. I just hate not being pitted multiple pathways and lots of corridors to explore. The straightforwardness is making me bored.
It's proving to be challenging, with interesting enough characters and story. And the visuals are as stunning as ever. Oh, and Vanille makes me want to chuck my controller out the window with me screaming and jumping out right after it.
The rest of the characters are fine though. Especially Sazh.

Edit:
BY THE WAY
Has anyone noticed how relevant the whole "Turning into a l'Cie" scenario is to a bad night of experimenting in college is?
Make some rash decisions -> Anima does his thing -> Everyone wakes up without a clue of what happened -> Find out you're infected with a disease.

Something to think about.

Calder
March 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I love how I have no idea what the hell is going on yet the characters do...and I'm not as a fanboy I like my PS3 just fine but there not different

parallelzero
March 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM
The story starts to come together the more you play. I understood nothing in the first few chapters, but I'm on chapter 7 now and a LOT more makes sense.

I'm absolutely in love with the battle system. It was difficult to get the hang of at first with Paradigm Shifts and all that, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, it's really exciting. I've also now realized that all the "linearity" issues people have been moaning about isn't really an issue at all. It's no worse than X was at being linear, thus it is not an issue.

Also...
Vanille! ♥

Calder
March 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM
The story starts to come together the more you play. I understood nothing in the first few chapters, but I'm on chapter 7 now and a LOT more makes sense.

I'm absolutely in love with the battle system. It was difficult to get the hang of at first with Paradigm Shifts and all that, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, it's really exciting. I've also now realized that all the "linearity" issues people have been moaning about isn't really an issue at all. It's no worse than X was at being linear, thus it is not an issue.

Also...
Vanille! ♥

Vanille is a pedo she is going to rape Hope...Ciao *points* lol...do you know how to get the special item? The paper isn't clear...

Aizuke
March 10th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I love how I have no idea what the hell is going on yet the characters do.

Apparently you have to read logs to get the information about the story line, or so I've heard.

Mana
March 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
People are having problems knowing the story line? Watching the cutscenes has worked for me... o.O Or read the description that comes up when you load a saved game for a refresher on where you are.

Calder
March 10th, 2010, 12:56 AM
People are having problems knowing the story line? Watching the cutscenes has worked for me... o.O Or read the description that comes up when you load a saved game for a refresher on where you are.

they use terms that I don't know the meaning to in the cut-scenes (they explain it a chapter after I needed to know wtf it was)...oh and I just fought a boss and it looked at me and I died so I give up until my pink eye is gone (it hurts when I play :() its hard to see the refreshers when you play right through it...

Forgotten_hope
March 10th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I love how I have no idea what the hell is going on yet the characters do...and I'm not as a fanboy I like my PS3 just fine but there not different

Yes. They are. You are arguing that a system that uses bluray discs and a system that uses dvd-quality and bink player are not different. Do you see something wrong with that? If not, you should.

May I ask WHERE you have seen both 360 and the PS3's graphics for this game? If you are using an online video, then that's why you think they're the same. It's not noticable on a small monitor, but on an HD TV, the difference is not arguable.

Anyway, if you pay attention to the cutscenes and read the log, it's perfectly understandable.

yahiko
March 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM
awsome game graphics are awsome on ps3 i rly liked the 11th day video it was awsome

Cello
March 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Yes. They are. You are arguing that a system that uses bluray discs and a system that uses dvd-quality and bink player are not different. Do you see something wrong with that? If not, you should.

May I ask WHERE you have seen both 360 and the PS3's graphics for this game? If you are using an online video, then that's why you think they're the same. It's not noticable on a small monitor, but on an HD TV, the difference is not arguable.

Anyway, if you pay attention to the cutscenes and read the log, it's perfectly understandable.

My god, enough of this ignorance.
People like you get too worked up over small differences. Quit getting so fixated on defending stupid stuff like disc differences and just let it slide. Honestly; who cares? And what reason do the rest of us have to care about what you have to say on the whole stupid situation anyways?
There are those who have an Xbox 360 and will happily play it on there, same goes for PS3.

Anyways,
I'm starting to get into the flow of things. Chapter 4 was an absolute pain. That whole Vile Peaks was rather tedious and annoying, almost as much as Lake Bresha.
Vanille is starting to grow on me, and I'm finding Sazh to be my favorite character thus far.
I'm liking the song to the Scrap Processing place too!

Anyone who doesn't have the game, I would recommend it now.

Bianca Paragon
March 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
My god, enough of this ignorance.
People like you get too worked up over small differences. Quit getting so fixated on defending stupid stuff like disc differences and just let it slide. Honestly; who cares? And what reason do the rest of us have to care about what you have to say on the whole stupid situation anyways?
There are those who have an Xbox 360 and will happily play it on there, same goes for PS3.
Nope; it's not a small difference. 576p vs 1080p = MASSIVE difference.

Mana
March 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Does it really matter -.-; The 'average' gamer probably won't be playing it on a large enough/high res. enough T.V. to tell the difference - and an issue like that isn't even a reason to buy the game. Now let's talk about the actually game and gameplay yes?

I've just got up to:
Odin. He's tough, I'm not entirely sure what the trick is against him. He targets Hope non-stop D:. Think I'm gonna try a protect-heal-attack strategy next time I load it up.

I'm only on Chapter 3 (Maybe 4?) but I think the level of difficulty is already good. Enemies tend to be hard the first time you face them, then gradually get nearer - then a boss appears and the battle is noticeably harder (even with 'minibosses').

One thing that annoys me so far is the rotation of characters >< How long til I have a say who is in my party?!

Bianca Paragon
March 10th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Does it really matter -.-; The 'average' gamer probably won't be playing it on a large enough/high res. enough T.V. to tell the difference - and an issue like that isn't even a reason to buy the game. Now let's talk about the actually game and gameplay yes?

I've just got up to:
Odin. He's tough, I'm not entirely sure what the trick is against him. He targets Hope non-stop D:. Think I'm gonna try a protect-heal-attack strategy next time I load it up.

I'm only on Chapter 3 (Maybe 4?) but I think the level of difficulty is already good. Enemies tend to be hard the first time you face them, then gradually get nearer - then a boss appears and the battle is noticeably harder (even with 'minibosses').

One thing that annoys me so far is the rotation of characters >< How long til I have a say who is in my party?!
Dual-Ravager. Switch to Ravager/Medic when health gets low, but make sure to be back to Dual Ravager when he brings his shield up for his little shield stance thing. Easy peasy.

Forgotten_hope
March 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM
This... is your response? Completely and totally over dramatic.
You do realize you're arguing over pixels when there are much more important things to focus on, right?

If there was any one place in the world I could be ROFLing in regards to the foolishness your statement right now, it would be all over your TV.

NEXT.
Look. We're allowed to talk about things pertaining to the game in this thread. One of those things is the graphics.

When someone is calling us "dumb" or "high" because we say the graphics are better on the PS3, we are going to defend ourselves, whether you like it or not. I do not enjoy ignorance, nor do I enjoy when people REFUSE to accept something even when facts are given to them. Thus, I will continue to argue about this until he realizes he is wrong, or at least until he stops insulting me about it whilst being wrong.

Gameplay:

I'm up to Chapter 4
Playing as Snow after the scene where Serah told him she was a l'Cie.

I had a bit of trouble with Odin as well, I ended up just using the spray that makes you get Haste, and I went Ravager/Medic and got it easily.
Summoning him is friggin awesome. Can't wait to try out the Shiva sisters, and whatever everyone else's summons are (if they have them, I'm just assuming)

SBaby
March 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The thing that confused me at first was the fact that you have to hold the X button to move along the Crystarium. And if there's a fork, you have to hold the button and the d-pad in the direction you want to go. But you don't have to backtrack, so regardless of how you spend your points, you'll always go toward something you don't already have, making upgrading pretty straightforward. Most of the time, you just have to keep holding X until you run out of CP, and it'll give you whatever the icon goes over. Once you learn everything there is to learn on the path you're on, it automatically advances the icon up a connecting path you haven't been on yet without having to spend points backtracking.

And also, the new update made even the standard definition images much more clear, which leads to even the small text being alot easier to read. Big improvement from the import, where you could barely see the text in standard def because of how blurry it was.

And yes, Odin is a pain to beat. The game wants you to heal yourself to fill the Drive Gauge, but the only way it works is if you heal when your bar is in the yellow or red. And Potions don't cut it. You need to use healing magic to get the bar filled. So you need to attack and heal whenever you can get the increase. If you don't do both, you'll run out of time before you can fill the gauge, even if you heal constantly like the game wants you to.

Bianca Paragon
March 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
This... is your response? Completely and totally over dramatic.
You do realize you're arguing over pixels when there are much more important things to focus on, right?

If there was any one place in the world I could be ROFLing in regards to the foolishness your statement right now, it would be all over your TV.

NEXT.
lol internet tuff guy? maybe you're just too ignorant to understand facts; so let me make it a visual for you.

This is a 1080p image. That means it's comprised on 1920x1080 or 2,073,600 individual elements that make up the image:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/798/1080p.jpg

This is a 576p image; 1024x576 or 589,824 elements. Yup, only 1/4 of the detail is afforded. Worse! It get's re-sized to 1080p when you feed a lower resolution image to a HDTV. So here's the image, re-sized to 576p and then enlarged back to 1080p.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3004/576ph.jpg

Note the total lack of sharpness and detail around the elements such as the floating flowers; and the blades of grass - and this assumes that a TV upscaler can re-size as well as Photoshop (which it can't) and that all other things are equal - which they're not. The Xbox 360 videos are highly highly compressed using BINK video; they look like youtube videos at times.

So no, it's not a small deal, it's not something you can just write off. It's a MAJOR element of the game that is substantially sacrificed in the inferior Xbox 360 Port.

NEXT
(owned ♥)

Cherrim
March 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
{There was totally a quote here but I quoted the wrong person and cbf'd searching for the right one.}

:( Yeah, if you google around and check some of the comparisons several websites have done, the difference gets pretty obvious. I guess if you're playing on a small/crappy TV, it probably wouldn't be overly noticeable (and admittedly, it looks identical in most stills they've released), but in a lot of action sequences, the 360 version looked just horrible compared to the PS3. But if you only have the 360 version and nothing to compare it to, who cares? Just enjoy it for what it is.

I could easily head out and buy the 360 version right now but I'm waiting an extra month or two to get the PS3 version to see it in all its glory. Again, if you have no choice and only have a 360, then obviously getting that version is really the only thing to do. But if you do have the option of both, it's really a no-brainer to decide which copy to get.

/gets the hell out of the thread because this probably won't help her avoid spoilers for another two months 8D

Morkula
March 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I got the game on release, but haven't gotten to play it as much as I'd like to have. So far it's amazing - I'm about 6 hours in and on Chapter 4. I have no problem with the linearity, it's no worse than FFX and I thought that game was amazing. The battle system is really fun, and the Crystarium reminds me of an advanced sphere grid.

And it looks amazing to boot, but you all knew that.

Razer302
March 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Got to chapter 3 so far. Game great. Linearity hasn't bothered me at all. FFX my favourite and its very linear.

I like pretty much all of the characters so far. Can't wait till I'm off work and get to play more. Graphics are amazing to.

SBaby
March 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Once you get to Chapter 11, the linearity disappears and you can do different things, like hunts and Chocobo digging in the massive Chapter 11 area.

One important thing to know though:

Most of the hunts (read: all but 7 or 8) will be near-impossible to complete without beating the game first, because you don't get your final Crystarium level until you do that. So if something in Chapter 11 is too difficult to beat (like the upgraded Adamantoises), that's why.

As for power leveling:

There's an area called the Tesseract that's a couple areas before the final boss, where you fight Jabberwockys and Bandersnatches. They range from 16,000 to 32,000 CP per enemy. You cannot revisit this area once you get to the final two sections of the dungeon, even in the postgame. But you can backtrack out of it and respawn the enemies. So getting the 3.5 million or so CP necessary to max out your level 10 Crystariums after beating the game can be done in relative short order (it seems like alot, but in reality it's about an hour or so of grinding, and then you'll never ever need to grind again).

Mana
March 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Does gaining 'Role Levels' just improve the passive ability of that class? (Like how Ravagers get chaining bonuses or whatnot).

Calder
March 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
If you have a problem fighting Odin here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogQpSl0Mh1s&feature=player_embedded) is some help for you guys

SBaby
March 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I just found out that your CP maxes at 999,999. It really bites, but you can only get about a quarter of the party's level 10 Crystariums covered before the postgame. It still isn't too much of a hassle going to Gran Pulse and fighting on the path to the Juggernaut that guards a chest. It's still 22,000 CP every 5 minutes or so.

Calder
March 12th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Anyone else's game crash when Vanille and Hope are waiting for Snow and you fight those 2 creatures in front of you? it always crashes on me there

How good the PS3 version looks, watch the whole thing before you comment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShDU5seehU)

Mana
March 13th, 2010, 04:33 AM
What is the total number of chapters in the game? At the moment I'm on 9 and I it's only taken me ~13 hours of gameplay o.O Doesn't seem very much for a final fantasy game!

Bianca Paragon
March 13th, 2010, 05:59 AM
13 chapters, but the final 3 take longer than the first 10~

Mana
March 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
13 chapters, but the final 3 take longer than the first 10~

Oooh good :)

I've made it to the end of 9 now, only have to defeat the boss. Think I'm gonna do some grinding before I try and take him on a second time as I got slaaaaughtered XD.

I only managed to take out one of the 'heads' before he started firing ~ga spells at me D: Didn't last long after that.

Gonna grind a bit and try and max out the Crystal / Upgrade some weaponary.

Even if it's not totally necessary it'll just mean I'm more prepared for anything that's to come after :O

Really enjoying the game so far :) Cut scenes are beautiful, the ties between the characters are great.

My favourite cutscene so far:

-Snow saving Lightning and Hope on the Shiva-bike
-Eidolon Parade <3

wee187
March 14th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Currently on chapter 11, god the game is soooo good. I'm aiming for 100% this playthrough so I am using the guide on trophy hints and stuff like that, and for good places to grind for Juice(CP) for my party.

Aizuke
March 14th, 2010, 03:17 AM
How good the PS3 version looks, watch the whole thing before you comment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShDU5seehU)

Obviously they have a crappy TV. Playing FFXIII on my widescreen HD TV via the PS3 is just simply.. Mind blowing. I see no flaws or pixels. >>

Plus the video is crappy in itself, considering the quality of it, so lmao.

It really is the best looking game I've ever seen. So far, I think it's pretty good, the story line, the game play, etc. I can't believe people have trouble understand the plot line though. o_o It's so simple and I'm only up to Chapter 2.

SBaby
March 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Obviously they have a crappy TV. Playing FFXIII on my widescreen HD TV via the PS3 is just simply.. Mind blowing. I see no flaws or pixels. >>

Plus the video is crappy in itself, considering the quality of it, so lmao.

It really is the best looking game I've ever seen. So far, I think it's pretty good, the story line, the game play, etc. I can't believe people have trouble understand the plot line though. o_o It's so simple and I'm only up to Chapter 2.

I have a really small standard definition TV, and it looks great on my screen. That must've just been an older TV. Or it could've been the recording device.

Oooh good :)

I've made it to the end of 9 now, only have to defeat the boss. Think I'm gonna do some grinding before I try and take him on a second time as I got slaaaaughtered XD.

I only managed to take out one of the 'heads' before he started firing ~ga spells at me D: Didn't last long after that.

Gonna grind a bit and try and max out the Crystal / Upgrade some weaponary.

Even if it's not totally necessary it'll just mean I'm more prepared for anything that's to come after :O

You need to grind for him, but there's no need to upgrade weapons. If you absolutely MUST upgrade someone, start with Fang, since she will be doing more physical attacking in the coming chapters than anyone else in the party (in fact, there's a battle in Chapter 10 that is virtually impossible to win without upgrading her at least to a second tier weapon).

That said, he isn't a pushover in the least. Not only does his Destrudo attack drain a ton of HP and leave everyone in or close to critical (even with a Sentinel configuration), but he casts Doom once he's down to a little less than a quarter health (no fooling, I almost had a heart attack when I saw it). And with his staying power and ability to negate all chain damage on a whim, you'll need to have at least one character that can attack at all times (Fang is the perfect candidate). I managed to beat him at about the 500 mark with Fang as a Commando/Sentinel/Saboteur, Hope as a Medic/Synergist and Lightning as a Party Leader Ravager/Commando/Medic. As long as you're constantly damaging him with someone, you should win by attrition. If worse comes to worse, remember that Summoning gives your party a full refill on HP once the Gestalt expires (not to mention taking off a nice chunk of the boss' HP).

If you think he's bad now, wait until Chapter 11. He foregoes Destrudo, but gains an almost unfair upgrade to his HP (Read: you have to be able to do almost half a million points of damage during the Doom phase during the second encounter). At least he doesn't negate your chain at will anymore though.

And yes, the parade scene was awesome. I thought it was going to be cheesy, but it's actually pretty sick.

Forgotten_hope
March 15th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Stop. Trying, You are 110% wrong. It does not matter that you can find someone playing the game on a TV from 1990, or better yet, on their low-res computer monitor.

The PS3, on a proper TV, is THE most beautiful game I have ever seen, and there are NO pixels in it.

Mana
March 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I have a really small standard definition TV, and it looks great on my screen. That must've just been an older TV. Or it could've been the recording device.

You need to grind for him, but there's no need to upgrade weapons. If you absolutely MUST upgrade someone, start with Fang, since she will be doing more physical attacking in the coming chapters than anyone else in the party (in fact, there's a battle in Chapter 10 that is virtually impossible to win without upgrading her at least to a second tier weapon).

That said, he isn't a pushover in the least. Not only does his Destrudo attack drain a ton of HP and leave everyone in or close to critical (even with a Sentinel configuration), but he casts Doom once he's down to a little less than a quarter health (no fooling, I almost had a heart attack when I saw it). And with his staying power and ability to negate all chain damage on a whim, you'll need to have at least one character that can attack at all times (Fang is the perfect candidate). I managed to beat him at about the 500 mark with Fang as a Commando/Sentinel/Saboteur, Hope as a Medic/Synergist and Lightning as a Party Leader Ravager/Commando/Medic. As long as you're constantly damaging him with someone, you should win by attrition. If worse comes to worse, remember that Summoning gives your party a full refill on HP once the Gestalt expires (not to mention taking off a nice chunk of the boss' HP).

If you think he's bad now, wait until Chapter 11. He foregoes Destrudo, but gains an almost unfair upgrade to his HP (Read: you have to be able to do almost half a million points of damage during the Doom phase during the second encounter). At least he doesn't negate your chain at will anymore though.

And yes, the parade scene was awesome. I thought it was going to be cheesy, but it's actually pretty sick.

I finally managed to beat him, used the defense battle sphere before going in so I had protect/shell instantly at my disposal. I did it with the all girl team XD Lightning(Commando)/Fang(Sentinal/Commando)/Vanille(Ravanger/Medic). Worked pretty well :) Can't wait to face him again, I thought his health was bad enough this time!

wee187
March 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Just beat the game. *squees* :D Overall, I like FF12 better simply because I do(don't complain, please, I love it a lot, Ashe ftw 8D) but I can firmly say FFXIII is my second favorite game in the series after it and before FFVIII.

Mana
March 20th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Ok so most of this post is going to go in spoilers XD :

So I'm now on Chapter 11 and have made it across the maaaassive field in Gran Pulse (avoiding King Behemoths are all cost <<) and then round the tunnels etc.

And FINALLY Vanilles Eidolon is here! Woo XD But I can't quite beat it :\

Are there any hints and tips for me? (Like does the bar charge more doing damage or casting sabataur spells or anything) Or do I just need to go back in the tunnels are grind a bit?.

woooo

Yoruichi
March 20th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm only having trouble beating the boss "Manasavin Warmech" in the lake part.

But overall, good game right now so far. D;

Crystal-Heart
March 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Since I just got a job at Burger King, I can buy the game after I get my paycheck, so I'll get it and the nice Hard Cover Guide, just because I was a sucker for it back when I first saw the one for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

loliwin
March 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
Ok guys, Im up to Chapter 8 and uh, things are going tough.....

I just after the part when Vanille cries and leaves because of what she did. And now I have to face Brynhildr (Sazh's Eidolon). He has the same thing as Odin, they yield to chain bonuses. IMO He is just way harder than Odin due to the fact he killes my team with his Pyroburst combinations. I try to get to my Dualcasting (Ravager and Ravager) paradigm, he nearly kills my team so I have to go back to a paradigm using Vanille as a medic. Ive tried like 7 times to beat him. Darn, I could be stuck in there forever! :) I might grind, but its gonna be hard with only Sazh on my team before the Brynhildr fight.

So, uh, any help? :)

Other than that, this game is sick. It has amazing detail and the environments are just awesome.

Mana
March 23rd, 2010, 02:23 PM

I just after the part when Vanille cries and leaves because of what she did. And now I have to face Brynhildr (Sazh's Eidolon). He has the same thing as Odin, they yield to chain bonuses. IMO He is just way harder than Odin due to the fact he killes my team with his Pyroburst combinations. I try to get to my Dualcasting (Ravager and Ravager) paradigm, he nearly kills my team so I have to go back to a paradigm using Vanille as a medic. Ive tried like 7 times to beat him. Darn, I could be stuck in there forever! :) I might grind, but its gonna be hard with only Sazh on my team before the Brynhildr fight.

Other than that, this game is sick. It has amazing detail and the environments are just awesome.

Try using Sazh's synergist abilities to cast en~ magic. Elemental attacks increase the bar quicker and so Ravager + Commando will do lots to the bar ^^.

You will have to keep switching to medic to heal, do it just when you think he is about to launch a devastating attack.

Persona
March 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM

Did you try having Sazh cast Haste and Faith in the beginning? It helps a lot. I started with Syn/Medic and then alternated between Com/Rav and Rav/Rav once the Eidolon was staggered. I also recommend you equip both characters with Ember Rings (if you collected any), which will help lessen Brynhildr's damage output.

If you're still having trouble, you can use Fortisol and Aegisol before the fight so you won't have to worry about buffing either of them. Just focus on bringing him down as quickly as possible before the buffs lose their effect. Also, you won't have to worry about grinding in this game until Chapter 11, as you'll see that the difficulty changes and weapon upgrading becomes recommended at that point.

Kauai
April 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
After hearing a lot of rave reviews about this game I was really expecting more.
It just feels so boring to me and generally I also really disliked the battle system. I got up to about fifteen hours, but I really don't feel much will to play on besides that...
The only saving grace was Balthier, cause well, he's fairly awesome. x3

But besides that I'll just stick to FFXIII.

What are you experiences with FFXII?

Akeraz
April 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
FFXII's battle system is decent once you get used to it..
The story isn't much, but I still enjoy this game as far as combat is concerned.
Enough to drive about 300 hours out of this game.

Razer302
April 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I loved FFXII. Was a great game once you get the hang of the battle system.

I am stuck on FFXIII atm though. I am on chapter 9 end boss. Have done nearly all of the crystals for fang, light and hope but I still can't kill him before doom gets me. ANyone got any hints?

Ashe~
April 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
omg, FFXII was my favorite. It was so easy and all that. :)

ashe was my favorite character