PDA

View Full Version : A little... Operating System snag.

Hiroshi Sotomura
October 27th, 2004, 04:44 AM
I just got my first Windows BIG problem. No, it's not the Blue Screen of Death. I recently put Windows 2000 on my computer with Windows XP. To be on the "safe side", I put Windows 2000 on a different partition. I want to boot XP because of some favorite features I have. Guess what? I can't boot into XP at all! @_@;

Help?
Help?
HEEELLLLLP! XD
(I'm serious now.)

I switch back and it gives me an error that it can't "boot Windows 2000". ~_~;

Any solutions anyone? I neeeeeeed my Windows XP to run. ;_;

Haruka
October 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Well, try to fix the bootloader by putting the Windows XP CD into the computer and press repair. Windows 2000 Bootloader isn't compatable with Windows Xp's

if you don't have a xp cd... then youre sunked. X_X..

(I hate windows and pcs because of this.......)

aaaaaa
October 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM
It..may be easiest to reinstall Windows XP over itself with a Repair Install.
It'll mean both will work, again.

Haruka
October 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM
o.o..... reinstalling takes hours... but using a repair option and the repair boot thingy would save time though...

but it his choice though. ^_^

aaaaaa
October 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Er..um..reinstalling takes about 40 minutes.
I did it FOUR TIMES last night.
Using Repair on the XP CD brings up the recovery console.
You're better off running the CD, letting it do it's thng, and when it finds an existing copy of XP, tell it to repair that. That's the easiest way, I think.

Haruka
October 27th, 2004, 05:06 PM
and you need to apply the service packs again too, unless they are applied on the CD copy... =p

aaaaaa
October 27th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Slipstreaming is an easy process. But this is about getting Windows to work at all, so stay on topic please.

Haruka
October 27th, 2004, 05:16 PM
anyways, I went though this problem also. I foolishly install Windows 2000 on a seperate petition. When I select Windows XP, it won't boot, but it will boot windows 2000.

>_>.... it took 2-3 hours to reinstall windows...... on a 1.2 GHz AMD HP desktop. >_>...

Hiroshi Sotomura
October 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
So, both will start working if I repair the XP installation? Will it mean I can switch back and forth between Windows XP and 2000? If so, then what to use with the Repair Function? And then, what about the Service Packs? Reinstallation required, and reconfiguration of programs, or not?

Haruka
October 27th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Don't format your harddrive. Just select the previous instalation (windows XP) and press enter.

After it's done, then reapply service packs. ^_^

aaaaaa
October 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Boot from your XP CD.
The first time, when it tells you to "Press R to repair", don't. Instead, tell it to install Windows. Then, when it searches for existing XP Installations, and finds yours, select the option to Repair that Install. It'll install the Windows Sub-System, and all your programs will still work. And yes, then, on boot you'll have a choice of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Geometric-sama
October 28th, 2004, 07:49 PM
That's not a reinstall, it's a refresh...

aaaaaa
October 29th, 2004, 04:34 AM
It's a Repair Installation, dear :P

Geometric-sama
November 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
If you have an existing installation, and you reinstall over the top of it, it's a refresh no matter what else you want to call it. :P

Melody
November 6th, 2004, 10:20 AM
it is a REPAIR install.

also be sure to set BOTH os's up for dual boot, in other words, go to the win2000 CP and tell it to give you a boot menu so that you can choose which windows you want to boot to.