PDA

View Full Version : A Study in '08...

Anti-Hero
March 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I was researching, and I read about a study in '08. It said that the oldest sibling tends to have the highest IQ, where as the younger siblings excel in other areas of lie such as sports and arts. Does the same go for your family? Why/Why not?

I can say, that it didn't happen with my family. My oldest sister is, how do you say, an air head. She always says things wrong. Once she said, "He wants to speak to my face..." rather than he wants to speak face to face. I, on the other hand, am actually quite intelligent, and not as athletic as the others in my family. Now, that isn't to say that they don't have more IQ, as from what I learned, IQ is the capability to learn, not actually how smart you are. So, yeah, they could have more capability to learn, but I guess, just don't.

dr4g0n12
March 15th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Huh. You are right. I am good with history, and things like that, and have a larger vocabulary than most people my age. My brother is super compeditive and likes sports, and my sister is creative (i am as well). So yes, the theory is true.

Timbjerr
March 16th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Actually, both my younger brother and I are pretty smart. I'd even go so far as to call him smarter than me, but he's given up academics in favor of music and the arts while I'm still an academic nerd. It kinda fits but kinda doesn't.

twocows
March 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
IQ is a good measure of how you can do on a bunch of arbitrary questions, and it's a great tool to help people believe they're better than others.

I don't buy that IQ is a relevant measure of anything. I've taken three separate standardized IQ tests and gotten 140, 120, and 180, respectively. Maybe I'm just an outlier and my dramatic variation isn't the norm, but I can't help but think that someone's learning curve cannot be accurately predicted by a couple of arbitrary questions (ability to learn is really what IQ is supposed to measure, despite its name).

As for the study, I'm the youngest in my family and I'm not really into sports or arts or anything like that; I haven't seen that trend to be true in our family.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
March 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'm the oldest, and I was always the one who did better in school. My brother, however is the one more interested in stuff like history and politics, and is more in touch with current events (because I don't care about current events, lol). Neither of us have much interest in the arts or sports (unless you count Blue/Leaf fan art as an "interest in the arts" for my case). Both of us have physical limitations that limit us in sports.

I suppose the "me being better in academics" is the only way our family matches the trend.

Guillermo
March 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I'm smarter than my sister, and she's 20. I'm also a lot more athletic and sporty than she is. Guess I got lucky.

.little monster
March 17th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I think my brother and myself are pretty close?

Dukey
March 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM
My sister can't play any sport very well tbh, and she's younger than me.
I'd say she might end up having a higher IQ than me, but I'm not sure.

Though by being blessed with sporting abilities, I got screwed over with allergies & psoriasis, I guess everything comes at a price, right?

Jubilation
March 17th, 2010, 03:08 AM
In my family, it's completely wrong. My older brother is an idiot (in nice terms) and only excels in Sports, I'm smarter and am better at Art.

Vital
March 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hmmm, well, the oldest having a high IQ seems correct. In my famliy, he got into one of the nation's best high schools, but he is also an air head... *coughImtalkingaboutmyselfcough*

As for the younger siblings part... as of right now, not really. My sister isn't that well at sports and all, and she is also airhead just like her older brother. =P

Melody
March 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
While I've been IQ tested and scored pretty high, I also felt that it never was a decent measure either.

I seriously intentionally scored lower on an IQ test in 6th grade so I wouldn't have the teachers expecting too much from me. I'm seriously that smart. When I'm motivated to learn and have an interest in something, I can indeed use all of my 'IQ' I'm a stubborn person by nature, and forcing me to do anything I don't want to do, gets lackluster results. XD

On the other hand, I can seriously kick tail academically, if I care to.

emoBill™
March 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Seems right to me.
I wonder why that is.

Jak
March 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Not true here. I'm smart, sister can't spell worth a crap. She doesn't care that she had a 4 in one of her classes, along with 2 other F's. They think my sister is depressed because she was left out of stuff just cause I'm a senior and needed more attention. Um. That's called pay back from all the attention she got when she was born. Heh.

But yeah, it's not true here. She has no individuality, either. She just goes along with the emo kid crowd. It's so popular with middle schoolers. No offense to anyone, though. It's just fail when she ain't pullin' it off right.

Saltare.
March 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I don't know about my older brother's IQ but...I do excel in the arts...weird...

Zet
March 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I pretty much excel in everything except staying fit in my family.

Anti-Hero
March 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Not true here. I'm smart, sister can't spell worth a crap. She doesn't care that she had a 4 in one of her classes, along with 2 other F's. They think my sister is depressed because she was left out of stuff just cause I'm a senior and needed more attention. Um. That's called pay back from all the attention she got when she was born. Heh.

But yeah, it's not true here. She has no individuality, either. She just goes along with the emo kid crowd. It's so popular with middle schoolers. No offense to anyone, though. It's just fail when she ain't pullin' it off right.

Just as a note, spelling isn't linked to intelligence. Its been proven in a test, and time and time again at my own school. So yeah.

Mario The World Champion
March 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Huh. I do find that study to be true in my family. However, my brother has been more successful than me, but I'm the only member of the family that can read a map and doesn't get lost while traveling far from home. I'm also the one who graduated high school with decent grades while my brother almost didn't graduate.

So, I guess that counts for something.

SonicThrust
March 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I guess this is true for my family. I do have a higher IQ than my sister and she is better at both sports and art than I am, but she also has a much better work ethic and is better at socialization than I am. Interesting how it works.

Yusshin
March 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM
IQ is just for logic; it's not intelligence.

I have an IQ of 135 and I'm gifted in mathematics and linguistics. I can run fast for my weight, and I'm good at soccer and hockey, although sports do not interest me (other than watching them). I'm interested in writing novels, drawing, history, politics, languages (<333), religion, etc.

I'm the first child of my father and the second of my mother. My brother Matthew also shares a decent IQ and he used to like to draw. He's also good at sports, but intelligent-wise, he's normal.

My sister Mackenzie is also normal. She's not good at sports; she loves to draw. Athletics = blargh for her.

The youngest, and fourth of my mother (not related to my father at all), Morgan (girl), needs a lot of assistance with school and basic things. She has dyslexia and mocks reading.

I'm not sure if this study is true, since 3/4 of my family are intelligent (enough) and we all love art. I'm the most talented, though, and I'm the second eldest (first eldest for my dad).

Jude Mathis
March 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Sounds true enough.. although I'm an only child, so I really can't compare with any sibling.

I know for a fact that I excel much more arts, then I do at things like math, science and such.

Hah.. I think that's called being right-brained, instead of left-brained, if you believe in that.