PDA

View Full Version : New College Art Project, Wouldnt mind some advise.

robobbiebob
March 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
So yeah im college its the start of my final 10 week project.

and the brief is: design a game cover, poster and other forms of advertising for a game.

i have to design everything for it from the characters to the background.

So does anyone know any interesting styles of drawing? possibly tim burton style ( my tutors idea )
Or any ideas for game cover designs, id love any help!

Im just asking for advise, not to cheat. :P

Jolene
March 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
You should research Yoshitaka Amano, obviously. He's like the king of game cover designs.

Also, Takashi Murakami

And Kay Nielsen's art has similar stylistic qualities to Tim Burton films.

Google these names.

Galukxy
March 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
well, first of all look make a spider diagram or brain storm of your notes. then look at video games, characters etc. and then tim burton's type of styles and adapt from that.

robobbiebob
March 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
You should research Yoshitaka Amano, obviously. He's like the king of game cover designs.

Also, Takashi Murakami

And Kay Nielsen's art has similar stylistic qualities to Tim Burton films.

Google these names.

Thank you ill do research on them. They seem interesting! :D

Kura
March 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
If it's for a game design there are some great artists on a place called Conceptart.. (just google it.)
But it'd be cool to reference off some other game art and try to base ideas off of that. Do you have to do environment designs? Vehicle designs? What is it in particular?

As for a style.. I'd say work within your own style. Get influences from other styles but make it your own. It should be your own thing that you're marketing and if they wanted a Tim Burton style, they'd hire Tim Burton to do the designs.
If they want Tim Burton's style with YOUR twist to it, then I'd do it that way. Pitch yourself. You never know if it'll become a great portfolio piece!

robobbiebob
March 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
If it's for a game design there are some great artists on a place called Conceptart.. (just google it.)
But it'd be cool to reference off some other game art and try to base ideas off of that. Do you have to do environment designs? Vehicle designs? What is it in particular?

As for a style.. I'd say work within your own style. Get influences from other styles but make it your own. It should be your own thing that you're marketing and if they wanted a Tim Burton style, they'd hire Tim Burton to do the designs.
If they want Tim Burton's style with YOUR twist to it, then I'd do it that way. Pitch yourself. You never know if it'll become a great portfolio piece!

UUrm for the surrounding i was thinking like a alice in wonderland type or a city thats been over grown by a forest ( if that made sence )

And about the tim burton bit, my tutor said that my drawing remind me of his style. and also little big planet ( yeah i dont get it too )