PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the 3rd gen?

Katie_Q
March 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty sure this is allowed...

So like the title says, what's so bad about hoenn? Personally, it's my fav. region. It seems that a lot of people hate it though. Is it all the water routes? Too different? (the jhoto region had kanto pokemon and team rocket- the hoenn didn't seem to have as many kanto or jhoto pokemon and team rocket was replaced)
Didn't like the pokemon?

loliwin
March 16th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I like it as well! :)

They introduced the Battle Frontier and new awesome looking Pokemon! What I dont like about it is that, I dont like the 3rd Gen Pokemon's cries.
:(

Still an awesome region nontheless.

Polizard
March 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
i loved 3rd gen also i dont know why it receives so much hate either it personally my favorite tied with 4 depending on my day

coolcatkim22
March 17th, 2010, 04:55 AM
The problem with me is that some of the Pokemon and places were kind of weird.
It in some respects wasn't as bad as the fourth generation which is weird because some consider fouth generation to be far supperior to third but at least third generation tried new things.

Yusshin
March 17th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Only good thing about 3rd gen' was the introduction of the Nature system.

It sucked otherwise. The plot. The new Pokemon. The main characters had terrible sprites.

It was just fail in a package.

TheRichar
March 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
its because everything was changed, the water route, the team you fought, the pokemon etc. and for me, it doesn't have it's story as good as Kanto or Jhoto

Myles
March 17th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Is it all the water routes?

Bingo. Literally half of the routes were water routes. Water routes are the only places that you can take a thousand screenshots of in all different places and they all look the same. They also all have the same wild Pokemon. Which they have no excuse for, since water is by far the largest type. Furthermore, the levels of the wild Pokemon are so varied you can't train on them very well.

Sure you can repel. But repels don't magically change a water route into a normal route. They only take away content, they don't add it.

The half of Hoenn that isn't water is good and well varied. But that's the first half of the region. The whole second half is just water. Not very good for hanging around in after beating the Pokemon League.

JeTz
March 17th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Generally there is no much wrong in 3rd gen.

Too much water you saying? What would happen if all the region is just full of plain grass/land?

Obviously that the 3rd gen is a region where is most with water is being unique. You can't have all region with just land/cave/forest. Even in the world, the species of fish is already outnumbered of the other animals.

Yusshin
March 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I think insects outnumber fish. Not entirely sure.

But 1/2 and 1/2 for land and water... it's not realistic. Water is generally only for travel TO land - it's not meant to be a "focus". Land is a focus and water is a travel to little islands and event spots. Having way too much water was a turn-off for a lot of people.

Another example of a too-much-water turn-off is Wind Waker. A lot of people graded Wind Waker worse than other Zelda games just because of too much water travel.

Pokemon Gamers & Zelda Gamers tend to be part of "Team Magma", imo.

Nightrider434343
March 17th, 2010, 06:48 AM
It's not that the games are bad, it's just that they are not as good as the other generations (especially G/S/C).

Ryu-kun
March 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM
For the 376586358374th time, there was really nothing WRONG with them... It was just, that I really didn't like my Manectric being level 83, and the others around 30...

Cassino
March 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Compared to the graphics of earlier Pokemon games I found it overly bright and colourful.
New Pokemon designs were rather uninspired — many seemed like remakes of older monsters.
No night and day, although it did on the other hand have weather.
Archipelago setting gets annoying, despite looking novel. Only works in war games, really, for the sake of strategic challenge.
I thought we'd end up being able to go to Jōto and Kanto, but alas no... Going back to one region just felt like such a downgrade.

There are however good points like the expanded role berries play and going underwater, but it's not enough to pass smoothly. I think it was ultimately the hopes of there now being three regions being shattered for us. Gen 3 isn't really 'bad', just didn't live up to the standards Game Freak had set for themselves previously — people thought that since gen 2 had gen 1's region as well, gen 3 would have at least gen 2's too.

Mew~
March 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I loved hoenn!!!! Its my fav generation! I know its has its ups and downs... but so does every game right?!
I dont understand why people are giving the reason that it "changed"... change happens you cant be afraid of it =P

JeTz
March 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Another reason which is why most people think that Gen 3 sucks is because of Gen 2 which feature 2 region in one game and generally most people thought that Gen 3 would make a big update but no. So this is why that so many people are in hate on Gen 3.

Conclusion, there are nothing wrong on Gen 3.

Hantsuki
March 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm probably one of those people who didn't like it because of the new Pokemon. Not only that, but I stopped watching the series after the Johto season ended because it just changed too much for me. I'm not sure when the new voice actors were incorporated, but that was also another reason why I stopped watching.

But as far as the games go, I still bought the three games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) since I could play them on my GBA. The graphics were more improved and some of the new features were impressive, but too much changed for me. There weren't too many old Pokemon you could capture in this new region (until later in the game) which was pretty disappointing to me since there were very few new Pokemon I wouldn't mind having on my team.

DarKnighT_0_9
March 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I think insects outnumber fish. Not entirely sure.

But 1/2 and 1/2 for land and water... it's not realistic. Water is generally only for travel TO land - it's not meant to be a "focus". Land is a focus and water is a travel to little islands and event spots. Having way too much water was a turn-off for a lot of people.

Another example of a too-much-water turn-off is Wind Waker. A lot of people graded Wind Waker worse than other Zelda games just because of too much water travel.

Pokemon Gamers & Zelda Gamers tend to be part of "Team Magma", imo.

Umm how is it not realistic? Honestly the last time I checked earth was around 75% water and all ther regions are based off real areas of Japan for the main series. The designers didn't create Japan so it isn't their fault that there happened to be a lot of water where that region is. And everyone says "Then use a different country for the games." If they did that they would be blasted because people would say they did not represent the other country properly. They stick with Japan because they know it and are comfortable with it. The problem with Gen 3 wasn't even an actual problem it was everyone stuck in their ways getting mad that there were changes made. The truth is if they kept Team Rocket and had another region like Kanto/Johto everyone would have cried that they didn't come up with something different. The way I see it, if you hate one you hate them all. A true fan will not complain when something they like is made for them to enjoy but will be greatful that the games they love are still being made or that the original company is still working on them. Games like Sonic and Spyro were great when they came out but the new ones suck because people just complained about them and the creators passed the titles on to different teams to work on and look what happened. The question is, was Gen 3 or any generation really that bad that there should even be discussion on what made it suck?

Bluerang1
March 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I like Hoenn. It's only hated because of nostalgia and bandwagoness. It did have a lot of water routes but that was because of the storyline and Dive. I hate people bashing Gen III and IV.

Myles
March 17th, 2010, 10:21 AM
The designers didn't create Japan so it isn't their fault that there happened to be a lot of water where that region is.

It's their fault for choosing the spot. There's heaps more locations in Japan. If they chose a place in another, the complaints of misrepresentation would be few anyway. Or they could have just made one out of thin air. And they could have just upsized Hoenn more to add more areas to it and removed half of the water.

I like Hoenn. It's only hated because of nostalgia and bandwagoness. It did have a lot of water routes but that was because of the storyline and Dive. I hate people bashing Gen III and IV.

Just a while ago I had to train a Pokemon on Emerald to ~45 and it was incredibly painful due to lack of good training spot. And if it was nostalgia I'd dislike Gen IV, but it's like the best gen ever imo.

Yusshin
March 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Umm how is it not realistic? Honestly the last time I checked earth was around 75% water and all ther regions are based off real areas of Japan for the main series.

It's not realistic because generally, on Earth, you aren't crossing the Pacific ocean to get to that tiny little island, then crossing it again to get to another little island, and staying out in the ocean boating for days and days. Major areas of Earth aren't on islands; they're on the mainland!

When people see Pokemon, unless they've looked up on Bulbapedia about it being based off of Japan, they imagine an Earth similar to theirs filled with Pokemon. On Earth, we go on relaxing cruises, but how many people, other than sailors, spend a crapload of their lives on the water?

See? It's not realistic. We aren't talking about the percent of the earth's volume in land and water; we're talking about the reality of being on water for a crapload of time to travel to place to place. Maybe 400 years ago when there weren't planes to get around lol and we all know that Pokemon has the Bullet Train in Goldenrod, and the Speedboat from Bill, so why not use that to get to those pesky islands instead? In reality, would YOU be swimming or rowboating from island to island in Japan? You'd take a plane. Or an underwater train. Or a speedboat. You wouldn't be out there on a rowboat boating for three days, unless you're poor as Hell.

I certainly don't imagine Japan when I imagine Pokemon; Pokemon is its own world. It may have been influenced by the Japanese country, but heck, they could've nicked it to not have so much space BETWEEN the islands and perhaps make more routes on the islands themselves, rather than forcing us to use Surf the entire time.

Aquerex
March 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I personally didn't really like the Pokemon that came with the Hoenn region..Their design just didn't...capture me.

Or it could be the water routes like others have stated.

DarKnighT_0_9
March 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
It's not realistic because generally, on Earth, you aren't crossing the Pacific ocean to get to that tiny little island, then crossing it again to get to another little island, and staying out in the ocean boating for days and days. Major areas of Earth aren't on islands; they're on the mainland!

When people see Pokemon, unless they've looked up on Bulbapedia about it being based off of Japan, they imagine an Earth similar to theirs filled with Pokemon. On Earth, we go on relaxing cruises, but how many people, other than sailors, spend a crapload of their lives on the water?

See? It's not realistic. We aren't talking about the percent of the earth's volume in land and water; we're talking about the reality of being on water for a crapload of time to travel to place to place. Maybe 400 years ago when there weren't planes to get around lol and we all know that Pokemon has the Bullet Train in Goldenrod, and the Speedboat from Bill, so why not use that to get to those pesky islands instead? In reality, would YOU be swimming or rowboating from island to island in Japan? You'd take a plane. Or an underwater train. Or a speedboat. You wouldn't be out there on a rowboat boating for three days, unless you're poor as Hell.

I certainly don't imagine Japan when I imagine Pokemon; Pokemon is its own world. It may have been influenced by the Japanese country, but heck, they could've nicked it to not have so much space BETWEEN the islands and perhaps make more routes on the islands themselves, rather than forcing us to use Surf the entire time.

Was the water honestly that bad? I takes at most 20 minutes to go through every town and city, without using fly, including the water routes which means it probably takes 5-10 minutes to get through all the water not three days lol. And I'v heard a lot of people (not in this topic) complaining that they took dive out in Gen 4 and that there wasn't a big enough dive route. To those people who complain about too much water and not enough dive routes, You need water to dive! lol

Serene Grace
March 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
This thread, while being valid, is aimed at Johto specifically so I'll move it over to the Advanced Generation Games forums.

Kotowari
March 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I personally didn't really like the Pokemon that came with the Hoenn region..Their design just didn't...capture me.

That's what I had with the Sinnoh Region.

But anyways.

I've started replaying Emerald last week, and neither this game nor Sapphire, I dislike. The graphics are colourful, bright and happy... I kinda miss the night/day system, but besides that no complaints about the Hoenn Region.
There is indeed a lot of water, and it sometimes bothers me.
I liked the introduction of contests, Secret Bases, Pokéblocks and the Battle Frontier. What I do dislike is that they left out the early contest halls in Emerald, since they were all replaced with Battle Tents.

The majority of Hoenn Pokémon is quite alright, imo. They came with more double typed Pokémon like Blaziken and Swampert. I quite liked them.

I found it quite good what they did with Team Aqua and Team Magma. It was an original storyline that went beyond the "evil organisation wants to take over the world"-plot.
And I really liked how they combined Ruby and Sapphire to come up with the epic battle in Emerald starring Rayquaza.
You don't hear me complain about Hoenn. Yes, Johto is my favourite region, then come Hoenn and Kanto, and then Sinnoh.

NiKaNoRoU
March 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Noting was wrong about it for me. The only thing that would irritate me would be the tree tiles and overworlds. It was a great experience.

Also, note that the 'negative' opinion can come out of people that might have played FR/LG first and then R/S/E. Yes. It leaves a bitter-something if you do that.

P.S: WHAT? WATER ROUTES? C'mon. That was something innovative. Water everywhere, so what? what if you lived on an island? It's AS EXCITING. :[

~Hot n' Cold~
March 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM
In my opinion...
nothing.

Hoenn to me is totally awesome. It [back in the day] had amazing graphics and totally owned FireRed and LeafGreen. I still play it more often than D/P/Pt. I think that the gym leaders and Elite Four have appropriate levels and the Pokémon brought in in that generation were totally awesome. All 3 starters are pretty smashing.

The only think I hate about it is May or Brendan. They never evolve their starter, and all the way through the game their Pokémon are underleveled. If they do make a remake, they should make the game a little more challenging.

Also, the Battle Tower is beast.

;)

Christopher
March 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I love Hoenn it was a great region but it did lack good training spots and the Vs Seekers would not have hurt other than that it was great

SquirtleGirl
March 18th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I liked Hoenn. It wasnt my favourite Gen. cause Water Routes are annoying for me, but some of the feautres like Pacifidolg town, the Underwater areas and and twin gym leaders were good. the towns were the most imaginative out of all the series I thought. :)

Gary, the Magic Fairy
March 18th, 2010, 09:22 AM
It completely destroyed any ties to the past games. GSC were sequels to the originals. RSE seemed as though they were starting over and that nothing from the first two generations mattered at all.

At least that's what I thought.

Fli
March 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Also, note that the 'negative' opinion can come out of people that might have played FR/LG first and then R/S/E. Yes. It leaves a bitter-something if you do that.

Just wanted to say that I did play Fr like 4 times before I even touched E and Fr was my first game. I liked them both equally.

It completely destroyed any ties to the past games. GSC were sequels to the originals. RSE seemed as though they were starting over and that nothing from the first two generations mattered at all.

At least that's what I thought.

Personally, I liked the no-ties thing. I never played Jhoto, so having no ties meant I had nothing that I had to worry about (such as not understanding what someone is talking about – I do like to pay attention to the script and talk to everyone).

I thought the storyline was creative and I enjoyed R/S/E so imo there wasn't anything (other than minor things, maybe) wrong with it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
March 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Lv58 Bellossom and Electrode vs Lv47 rest of my team.

The route between Pacifidlog and Slateport with the currents was especially annoying. But a completionist I am, so suffer through it I did.

In addition, some of the town concepts were just bizarre. A town inside a crater? A town floating in the ocean? A town on top of trees? Creative, yes, but still bizarre.

In 3rd gen, I much preferred LG over any of the Hoenn games.

Eggie Poo Poo
March 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
1. Terrible visuals that completely make it look like a new game entirely and with ugly grass and trees that could make a person vomit.

2. Horrible music tracks that sound nothing like Pokemon and really have no charm or stick in your head like the original music did.

3. A new gen of Pokemon that look like they were just made for money, GSC actually looked like they had their heart in it when they made the 151-251 Pokemon.

4. Rival that's your friend? Come on that defies all Pokemon logic.

5. Boring plot that is so agonizing and repetitive, it's just run from point A to B with no importance until you get to Sootopolis.

6. No day and night cycle? GSC had one, so it makes sense to include it in all new ones but they got lazy I guess.

7. Team Aqua and Team Magma look like kids in Halloween costumes, no where near as badass as Team Rocket was.

linkinpark187
March 19th, 2010, 11:35 AM
For me.....
The Good:

-Double Battles
-Nature System
-New Berry System
-Gardevoir

The Bad:

-No Day/Night Modifier (makes getting Espeon & Umbreon interesting)
-No More Phone (even as annoying as some of those calls may have been)
-Room Decorations (though replaced by the Secret Hideout, not quite the same)
-No Backwards Compatibility (they could have made another Time Machine, don't tell me they couldn't)
-No Radio Tower
-Lack of 1st/2nd Gen Pokémon (more limited number of)
-Team Magma/Aqua (these guys were really a bunch of |insert insult here|)
-No Team Rocket

I personally feel that any game following the Gold & Silver series has a pretty big shadow to come out of, and with the release of Heart Gold & Soul Silver, that shadow just grew. Immensely. There was a certain charm about Gold & Silver that no version has been able to replace, and would like to see one (hopefully Gen.5) do this, soon.

NatureKeeper
March 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
For me.....
The Good:

-Double Battles
-Nature System
-New Berry System
-Gardevoir

The Bad:

-No Day/Night Modifier (makes getting Espeon & Umbreon interesting)
-No More Phone (even as annoying as some of those calls may have been)
-Room Decorations (though replaced by the Secret Hideout, not quite the same)
-No Backwards Compatibility (they could have made another Time Machine, don't tell me they couldn't)
-No Radio Tower
-Lack of 1st/2nd Gen Pokémon (more limited number of)
-Team Magma/Aqua (these guys were really a bunch of |insert insult here|)
-No Team Rocket

I personally feel that any game following the Gold & Silver series has a pretty big shadow to come out of, and with the release of Heart Gold & Soul Silver, that shadow just grew. Immensely. There was a certain charm about Gold & Silver that no version has been able to replace, and would like to see one (hopefully Gen.5) do this, soon.

There is a phone in Emerald and The Room Decorations are still there. The games' mechanics at all will not allow trading between two different handhelds (GBA and GBC), and thus there was no backward compatibility. And Emerald galores with Gen 2s. However, I agree with tha whole Magma, Aqua and Rocket Part. I only liked Maxie and Tabitha. All others are |C E N S O R E D|

Ninja Caterpie
March 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
1. Terrible visuals that completely make it look like a new game entirely and with ugly grass and trees that could make a person vomit.

2. Horrible music tracks that sound nothing like Pokemon and really have no charm or stick in your head like the original music did.

3. A new gen of Pokemon that look like they were just made for money, GSC actually looked like they had their heart in it when they made the 151-251 Pokemon.

4. Rival that's your friend? Come on that defies all Pokemon logic.

5. Boring plot that is so agonizing and repetitive, it's just run from point A to B with no importance until you get to Sootopolis.

6. No day and night cycle? GSC had one, so it makes sense to include it in all new ones but they got lazy I guess.

7. Team Aqua and Team Magma look like kids in Halloween costumes, no where near as badass as Team Rocket was.

I sense someone's butthurt nostalgia.

It's not as common because it wasn't the NORM. The NORM was with land with little bits of water, but Hoenn had half the world filled with it. Not too bad in my opinion, but for all those grinders and nostalgia-freaks, it was just WRONG. WRONG because it wasn't the same as awesome Kanto or awesome Johto.

The old nostalgia freaks didn't like it because it was different. TWO evil teams? No Team Rocket?! WATER?! No way, this wasn't right! It can't be good because it's different! And because nobody liked it, it wasn't.

fishrocker
March 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I don't see any reason to complain. These games were great.

GlitchCity
March 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
The games' mechanics at all will not allow trading between two different handhelds (GBA and GBC)
thats not really a flaw, that is just due to technology. Think about it, did you really want a downed sized pokemon on your advance game?

anyways I spent like 400+ more hours in hoenn than I did in any other region. Hoenn introduced a lot of features that helped build the other generations. Yes it did have a flaw here and there, but all the other regions [kanto and johto, dont deny it] had their flaws as well.

Myles
March 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
WATER?! No way, this wasn't right! It can't be good because it's different! And because nobody liked it, it wasn't.

You can't pull the 'only because it has changed' card if people give valid reasons for disliking the stuff.

How would you like it if suddenly, literally half the region was cave, or desert, or snow, etc. All with the same wild Pokemon and levels throughout.

Yoshimi
March 19th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Apart from the water routes, stupid teams/team concepts, and the things they could have kept that were in Gold and Silver, not much was wrong with them.
You get half a game, and half waterworld. Otherwise it's completely good and has a lot of advantages exclusive to Hoenn.

Ninja Caterpie
March 20th, 2010, 01:06 AM
You can't pull the 'only because it has changed' card if people give valid reasons for disliking the stuff.

...including?

The main ones are "The plot was lame (usually because there's no inventive use of TEAM ROCKET)", "THE WATER", "Friendly rival", etc. which are all changes on "basics". =|

The ones that aren't are purely subjective; "The Pokemon suck!", "The music was crap!", "The graphics were horrible!"

There is one I do agree with though is that they should have kept Day/Night. Time was kept, but it could have been used so much better. Still, that's no reason for hating on a game.

Eggie Poo Poo
March 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I sense someone's butthurt nostalgia.

It's not as common because it wasn't the NORM. The NORM was with land with little bits of water, but Hoenn had half the world filled with it. Not too bad in my opinion, but for all those grinders and nostalgia-freaks, it was just WRONG. WRONG because it wasn't the same as awesome Kanto or awesome Johto.

The old nostalgia freaks didn't like it because it was different. TWO evil teams? No Team Rocket?! WATER?! No way, this wasn't right! It can't be good because it's different! And because nobody liked it, it wasn't.

Chill, was just giving my opinion and I certainly don't hate WATER ... o.O

Amarantine
March 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Personally i don't have something against 3 gen...but i don't like it either.

It's not like it's bad. It's just that for me it's just not as interesting as Silver/Crystal. It's not that i'm agaisnt new things, some 3d generation pokemon were really cool (Like Blaziken or some others), and the graphics were new, but that's it. I would much rather make a game by myself exactly like Silver or Crystal, but with the new pokémon. The one i can't freaking stand is Diamond/Pearl. most of those pokemon looked like they were made out of pure boredom.

Myles
March 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
...including?

The main ones are "The plot was lame (usually because there's no inventive use of TEAM ROCKET)", "THE WATER", "Friendly rival", etc. which are all changes on "basics". =|

The ones that aren't are purely subjective; "The Pokemon suck!", "The music was crap!", "The graphics were horrible!"

There is one I do agree with though is that they should have kept Day/Night. Time was kept, but it could have been used so much better. Still, that's no reason for hating on a game.

It's not about what the complant is. But how thoroughly explained their reasons for disliking it are. A statement like 'The Pokemon are uncreative.' isn't very well explained and probably nostalgia-based, but if someone explains why they don't like Magma/Aqua rather than just saying 'they suck', then it's a valid complant.

How much you agree with it doesn't decide whether it's nostalgia-based.

Eggie Poo Poo
March 20th, 2010, 10:04 AM
...including?

I don't hate the plot because there's no Team Rocket, hell there's no Team Rocket in Sinnoh, but it still had a cool plot. I hate RSE's plot because it's just run doing errands for people in the first 3/4 of the game, and the errands are not meaningful at all just boring and plain, where as in GSC going to the Radio Tower and defeating all the Rockets had a purpose because you had to save Goldenrod and possibly the whole Johto region.

Again, I don't hate water =[. I just find the visual style that Pokemon has taken (the grass) looks too fake and not as mellow olive greenish like GSC did.

The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.

Well a friendly rival doesn't make sense to me, cause I think the rival should be a total a**hole to the player, just for that feeling of when you finally beat him/her in a battle you feel really good that you just pwned this bully.

Teh Blazer
March 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I like it, but the tiles could use a bit of work. It looks nice (the trees look horrible!) but i think the remakes of Gen I had better tiles.

ShadowSalamence
March 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hoenn is one of my favorite regions.
However, the plot is poor and there's almost nothing new you can do after the Elite Four. Also, the sea routes are really annoying.

Ninja Caterpie
March 20th, 2010, 01:53 PM
ARGH, PC killed my post with its crash.

However, the plot is poor and there's almost nothing new you can do after the Elite Four
Uh, Battle Tower/Frontier, anyone?

There wasn't anything to do in RBY, either. =|

TripleD
March 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Uh, Battle Tower/Frontier, anyone?

There wasn't anything to do in RBY, either. =|

You can forgive RBY a bit seeing as how they were the first in the series. Besides, at least it left you with a dungeon full of level 60+ Raichus and Chanceys and Rhydons to play around with.

A big problem I had with Ruby & Sapphire is that there was no good place to level grind after you had beat the elite four. You could challenge the elite four again, but their levels were lower in this game than in previous ones, thus slowing down your progress. The Sky Tower didn't have anything with a high enough level or xp reward to write home about.

The biggest waste of time though, was the battle tower. Yes you could get a few semi-decent items, but why on earth can't you gain XP from the fights? Grinding up to level 100 could have been a fun task: you'd get to fight a variety of trainers instead of the same four trainers with their monotype shooting gallery teams over and over again.

PiPVoda
March 20th, 2010, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Eggie Poo Poo;5637835]

The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.QUOTE]

It was a new generation, so it would make sense that it had no relevance to the past ones considering it was new and in an entirely new region!!! I said new a lot huh? Well anyways, really? There were no interesting pokemon, excluding the starters? torkoal, wailmer, wailord, flygon, gardevoir, ludicolo (a little cheesy but he's awesome), slaking, the legendaries, agron, salamence, glalie, claydol, etc...there are plenty of pokemon in gen 3 that are awesome, and some even better than previously made 251. Hoenn has its fair share of crappy pokemon but so does the other Johto and Kanto. Yet for some reason Kanto and Johto are simply amazing and god-dyfing which means there were no problems with it..

and to the people complaining about the trees, seriously? The game was meant to be made to impress you on how the trees look. I personally don't give a [censored] how the trees looked because that is not the reason I played the game in the first place. And even if the trees looked horrible, the graphics were much better than they were in RBY & GSC

Ninja Caterpie
March 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM
The biggest waste of time though, was the battle tower. Yes you could get a few semi-decent items, but why on earth can't you gain XP from the fights? Grinding up to level 100 could have been a fun task: you'd get to fight a variety of trainers instead of the same four trainers with their monotype shooting gallery teams over and over again.

The same reason you don't get EXP from cable battles or over Wifi.

Porygon-Z
March 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure this is allowed...

So like the title says, what's so bad about hoenn? Personally, it's my fav. region. It seems that a lot of people hate it though. Is it all the water routes? Too different? (the jhoto region had kanto pokemon and team rocket- the hoenn didn't seem to have as many kanto or jhoto pokemon and team rocket was replaced)
Didn't like the pokemon?

I don't like all the endless water!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the hoenn region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid ocean you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

Ninja Caterpie
March 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I don't like all the endless water!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the hoenn region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid ocean you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

I don't like all the endless Rock Tunnel!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the Kanto region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid cave you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

Sorry, had to do it.

The ocean has borders, you know. There's also something called a "world map" that you can use to tell which direction you want to go in, then just go that direction. Lemme tell ya, it's easier to get lost in Viridian Forest.

VinceLevi
March 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
It's because you can't stand directly in the middle of the Pokemon centers to save : D

Seriously though, I liked the 3rd Gen. The pokemon were pretty cool, leveling was decent in trainers, which is a big deal for me.. There were some glaring flaws though..
The game was terribly slow to begin... It took forever to get strong Pokemon if you were trying to train them from a low level.. Animation on Emerald WAS horrible.. I dropped my Grovyle for the sole reason that I hated his backsprite.. I don't consider myself nostalgic, but I liked Silver version better anyway..
Good news, third gen was WAYYY better than D/P/Pt.

Kww37
March 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I actually really enjoyed the third gen. Sapphire was a really fun game to play. Easy to train, and overall just a fun game. Now, yes the whole water being the main navigation was alright, but for grass pkmn it was good training... like I've said above. Or, this could be because this was the first pokemon game I really looked at and tried to get everything. All the legendaries, the items, pokemon etc etc. I just really enjoyed it.

RTHookers
March 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Kris wasn't the main character.
No, kiddin'.

Anyway, I liked the 3rd gen. Especially LeafGreen.

LightOfTruth
March 21st, 2010, 07:53 AM
3rd gen was all right since it has a good Battle Frontier :)

GlitchCity
March 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
Animation on Emerald WAS horrible.
are you forgetting that emerald was the only pokemon game that was meant for the GBA with sprite animations? Ever thought of it as "testing" out something? The reason why the animation was so bland because it was a GBA game that was meant to be played on the gameboy advance, not a GBC one. It was just like how DPPt had the amity park thing with your pokemon following you, they were trying to see if we like that feature [which they used in HG/SS]

GodofPH
March 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
My issue with Hoenn was how it was such a departure from the Pure Win that was Gold/Silver/Crystal. Several of the advances that had been made with GSC mysteriously vanished on the trip to Hoenn (Day/Night cycle for one), plus the game seemed to be trying overly hard at being a 'new beginning' for Pokemon, instead of building on games past like GSC had been.

So I think I didn't like it because it wasn't GSC. :P

That being said, I will say I liked many of the Pokemon designs from RSE (Metagross and Blaziken are some of my all-time favorites), and as for the region itself, I liked how unique Hoenn was compared to the other regions. I also didn't mind the Team Aqua/Magma plot.

GlitchCity
March 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM
My issue with Hoenn was how it was such a departure from the Pure Win that was Gold/Silver/Crystal.
I dont think it was trying to be like GSC at all. Why do you think it was a reboot? Because it was time for one. And Im glad that it strayed away from GSC because I dont want the same thing over and over agian.

-new handheld
-new region
-new adventure

like I said, it wasnt meant to be tied into GSC

VinceLevi
March 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
are you forgetting that emerald was the only pokemon game that was meant for the GBA with sprite animations? Ever thought of it as "testing" out something? The reason why the animation was so bland because it was a GBA game that was meant to be played on the gameboy advance, not a GBC one. It was just like how DPPt had the amity park thing with your pokemon following you, they were trying to see if we like that feature [which they used in HG/SS]

Hello again Glitch City.
I was talking about straight up sprites...
They were bad.
"I dropped my Grovyle for the sole reason that I hated his backsprite."
See?

GodofPH
March 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
I dont think it was trying to be like GSC at all. Why do you think it was a reboot? Because it was time for one. And Im glad that it strayed away from GSC because I dont want the same thing over and over agian.

-new handheld
-new region
-new adventure

like I said, it wasnt meant to be tied into GSC

A reboot is all fine and dandy, but at the same time it was still the next installment of the main series, and I would expect things to move forward, not backwards.

TripleD
March 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
The same reason you don't get EXP from cable battles or over Wifi.

Which is?

In all seriousness, this question has always bugged me. Why can't you get EXP from these kinds of battles? You'd think if anything, since pokémon is supposed to be all about playing with friends, battling and trading, that Nintendo would give an EXP bonus for all this social interaction.

You could make the argument that there may be some kind of problem with calculating EXP from another machine (unlikely) or that your friend could just let you win (which is valid sparring in my opinion). But neither of these arguments hold up for the battle tower, seeing as how it's entirely in game and the opponents are computer controlled.

Eggie Poo Poo
March 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Eggie Poo Poo;5637835]

The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.QUOTE]

It was a new generation, so it would make sense that it had no relevance to the past ones considering it was new and in an entirely new region!!! I said new a lot huh? Well anyways, really? There were no interesting pokemon, excluding the starters? torkoal, wailmer, wailord, flygon, gardevoir, ludicolo (a little cheesy but he's awesome), slaking, the legendaries, agron, salamence, glalie, claydol, etc...there are plenty of pokemon in gen 3 that are awesome, and some even better than previously made 251. Hoenn has its fair share of crappy pokemon but so does the other Johto and Kanto. Yet for some reason Kanto and Johto are simply amazing and god-dyfing which means there were no problems with it..

and to the people complaining about the trees, seriously? The game was meant to be made to impress you on how the trees look. I personally don't give a [censored] how the trees looked because that is not the reason I played the game in the first place. And even if the trees looked horrible, the graphics were much better than they were in RBY & GSC

Those "cool" Pokemon are all YOUR opinion, I think they are all lame. EVERY single on of those seem stupid, illogical and out of place in the Pokemon universe to me. But then again, it's my opinion and you can like them however much you want.

And the trees do kind of matter, trees are the most common thing you probably see in a Pokemon game (other than grass) and I think they look so fat and short, and widely spaced apart. I'm picky, I know but ... still. Also the graphics are not really at all better than in GSC, GSC had that AWESOME mellow/autumn olive green look, not a bright neon turquoise region with bright yellow dirt and stuff.

gdmatt
March 23rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
The water routes really are annoying, unless you have a ton of repels. You'd think that if they were going to put so much water in, that they would add more decent Pokemon to catch. Other than that and the underleveled Elite Four after beating the game, I really liked Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Quite a lot more than I like Pearl/Diamond/Platinum. Gen III is what really got me into Pokemon after playing Gen I.

Soul Silver
March 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
I just think that it is the weakest of all the generations, yes the nature system is nice and very pivotal in todays game but there was way too much water and a lot of the Pokemon felt uninspired and it was also the amount of double ups we saw

NotoriouzElmo
March 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
I really don't see why people bashed this generation. A lot of people complain that their is a lot of water and thats a fair enough point because the water is a bit annoying but Idk why people would dislike a whole game over one or two things. I know also wen i got this game i was expecting at least 2 nd hopefully three regions but when i beat it i wasnt angry or anything i just kept playing. I battled the elite four about 60 times and found it as a great way to keep my pokemon in shape, Also it was the only region where i actually liked all of the starters (never really liked leaf pokemon (bulbasaur, chikorita, turtwig) . I loved the pokeblocks, the contest , battle frontier and sometimes (b4 ur games internal battery ran dry or sumthing) there wud be in game events like sales at the department store or guys giving out ingredients to make golden pokeblockz. They were also creative like feebas having to evolve with beauty for example . I agree some of the pokemon were not originally but i think i like it equally as much as i like the kanto region. I would have to say shinnoh is my least favorite . But the main reasons Gen III got so much crap was due to ppls personal opinions

GodofPH
March 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.

The lack of relevance to the original 251 actually makes logical sense if you think about it. Hoenn is an island, and in the natural world, islands often have isolated and different species of animals compared to mainlands.

PiPVoda
March 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=PiPVoda;5638975]

Those "cool" Pokemon are all YOUR opinion, I think they are all lame. EVERY single on of those seem stupid, illogical and out of place in the Pokemon universe to me. But then again, it's my opinion and you can like them however much you want.

And the trees do kind of matter, trees are the most common thing you probably see in a Pokemon game (other than grass) and I think they look so fat and short, and widely spaced apart. I'm picky, I know but ... still. Also the graphics are not really at all better than in GSC, GSC had that AWESOME mellow/autumn olive green look, not a bright neon turquoise region with bright yellow dirt and stuff.

You're right, they are my opinion, and I agree you like the pkmn you like and I just stick with the ones I like. And yes, you seem to be picky if trees bug you. I think it's obvious Hoenn was all about waterways, not trees or grass. I don't even see why we're arguing over something of little to no importance anyways.

R/S/E's graphics trump GSCs. I'm pretty sure most people would agree, and this is because it was on a completely different system. I can't believe you're telling me that this
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/pokemon/poke2/screens/PM_gold5.jpg
and this
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/8/198308/pokegs_790screen021.jpg

are better than this:
http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Gameboy_Advance/Role-Playing/Fantasy/pokemon_advance_profilelarge.jpg
or this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/secret_level/2004/04/images/pokemon_ruby_270.jpg

I agree that Hoenn does seem a little bright :D but maybe that is just due to it being on the GBA and Hoenn being a tropical region (meaning brighter colors)..but can I tell ya if you think the neon/torquoise color is bad on that..try playing it on the DS. GSC did have good graphics though considering it was on the GBC.

Ichigo_Kurosaki
March 23rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
I actually found Hoenn really good.There's nothing wrong with the water routes. I mean you only have to go their a few times after that you get a magic disc with something called FLY, remember.

PuffyChain
March 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
nothing wrong with 3rd gen...
i dun have facing any prob while playing...

Bichu
March 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I didn't find anything wrong with Gen 3. o_O Well...Ruby WAS my first Pokemon game that I played, though I knew that previous one existed already. I wasn't too much into gaming back then though.. and now I'm a nerd lol. Actually I started being into Pokemon again around the time Super Smash Bros. Melee came out, thank you Pichu for being in there. 8'D ANYWAYS.
I personally liked RSE, and I loved the secret bases. Playing on an emulator, I can't connect Underground, so I can't make one. :C I also loved the part that rains huhuhu (which is where my secret base was) <-- Point is I wish I could have a secret base without connecting online. And I couldn't and STILL can't unsee Ruby's hat as his hair in his overworld sprite. :[ I think my eyes cried when playing RSE though, it really WAS bright..

Porygon-Z
March 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
I don't like all the endless Rock Tunnel!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the Kanto region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid cave you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

Sorry, had to do it.

The ocean has borders, you know. There's also something called a "world map" that you can use to tell which direction you want to go in, then just go that direction. Lemme tell ya, it's easier to get lost in Viridian Forest.

If you're like me, you have to obsessively cover every sqaure of ocean in case you miss something, so for me, all that open featureless water was very tedious.

I agree about rock tunnel, but at least there wasn't as much of it as there was ocean in hoenn.

And let me tell you, I did get lost in Viridian Forest first time round! lol! XD

I think kanto makes up for irritating caves and stuff with sheer awesomeness and accessibility.

I found Hoenn to be one massive chore.

I agree that Hoenn does seem a little bright :D but maybe that is just due to it being on the GBA and Hoenn being a tropical region (meaning brighter colors)..but can I tell ya if you think the neon/torquoise color is bad on that..try playing it on the DS. GSC did have good graphics though considering it was on the GBC.

You said the word tropical and Hoenn became instantly more appealing to me!

Zenith98s
March 24th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I hate Hoenn 'cause the Pokémons don't look cool nor the trainer sprites. Have you ever see Kanto sprites in R/S/E? (eww!) FR/LG was nice cause they made great sprites...

Ninja Caterpie
March 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I hate Hoenn 'cause the Pokémons don't look cool nor the trainer sprites. Have you ever see Kanto sprites in R/S/E? (eww!) FR/LG was nice cause they made great sprites...

Have you ever seen the Hoenn trainer sprites in Fire Red?

Seriously, they are DISGUSTING.

~Gary~
March 24th, 2010, 01:41 AM
if r/b/e
comes to the ds
many gamers will stop playing pokemon.

it would be horrible
i hate everything about 3rd gen

Ninja Caterpie
March 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM
if r/b/e
comes to the ds
many gamers will stop playing pokemon.

it would be horrible
i hate everything about 3rd gen

wtf has a RBY DS remake got to do with 3rd gen...?

Mew~
March 24th, 2010, 07:45 AM
wtf has a RBY DS remake got to do with 3rd gen...?
you both have made mistakes there..
1. He wrote r/b/e when he ment r/s/e
2. You thought he ment R/B/Y even though he didnt use an S

Eggie Poo Poo
March 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Eggie Poo Poo;5643961]

You're right, they are my opinion, and I agree you like the pkmn you like and I just stick with the ones I like. And yes, you seem to be picky if trees bug you. I think it's obvious Hoenn was all about waterways, not trees or grass. I don't even see why we're arguing over something of little to no importance anyways.

R/S/E's graphics trump GSCs. I'm pretty sure most people would agree, and this is because it was on a completely different system. I can't believe you're telling me that this
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/pokemon/poke2/screens/PM_gold5.jpg
and this
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/8/198308/pokegs_790screen021.jpg

are better than this:
http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Gameboy_Advance/Role-Playing/Fantasy/pokemon_advance_profilelarge.jpg
or this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/secret_level/2004/04/images/pokemon_ruby_270.jpg

Well technology-wise, the graphics are better in that there are rain effects, reflections in water, water splashes, brighter screen ... but what I mean is I like the colours more in GSC, that awesome yellow-green autumn mellow look that it had really made it fun to look at.

Also something about the old-style primitive graphics is appealing ... I don't know if you grew up in that time and played those kind of games as a kid something about it just sticks in your head and makes you remember how cool those graphics were. Back then you had to use your imagination when you looked at objects, like some little square with little dots on it could have been ANYTHING your mind wanted it to be, now everything is what it is, there is no room for imagination.

Ninja Caterpie
March 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
you both have made mistakes there..
1. He wrote r/b/e when he ment r/s/e
2. You thought he ment R/B/Y even though he didnt use an S

Considering B and S are quite far away from each other on any keyboard, it's to be expected.

And, well, his statement was a bad generalisation. Just because there's a game that you don't like doesn't mean you'll quit the series.

Aetheria
March 26th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Originally I disliked Hoenn, because to me the map seemed to be a real mess. There is a ton of backtracking and it is annoyingly far from linear. Then I realized the same could be said of Kanto in a lot of respects so now I don't really know what I dislike about it. It just seems, needlessly confusing still.

Mistyy
March 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I liked the region, the huge expanse of water made me hate it though (love the repel items!) It was good for the introduction of the double battle to spice things up, also the naturs made it more interesting. Wasn't as bad as Gen IV though imo .. :<

Enigma
April 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
I loved Hoenn. I don't understand how anyone could really hate it. <3

C'mon people, water isn't that big of a deal. >_<

LilacArcanine
April 6th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the Hoenn games :D Team "Magqua" (in my case Aqua) were killer, the Pokemon had some wick designs and I loved Hoenn.

Some things that really irked me were the monotony of having only one region to go through after the game was over, lack of a proper communication tool to arrange battles, and some of the routes were pretty boring.

Other than that, they were pretty cool games :D I played about 120 hours on my old Sapphire save :D

Aero Blitz
April 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I love Hoenn, I still occasionally break out Emerald, or ruby and play them a bit. My real problem is half the regiom seems to be made of water, and it did get annoying, made me fall in love with the Repel items.

I do have a little over 400 hours between Ruby and Emerald

coconutberry
April 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
In my opinion? Absolutely nothing. My very first Pokemon game was Sapphire, so I pretty much grew up around the Hoenn Pokemon. I've always loved everything about it -- the Aqua/Magma plot, the landscape (yes, even the water routes), the contests, and, of course, the Pokemon themselves.

I think the reason people bash R/S/E is because it is so different from R/B/Y and G/S/C. I had the hardest time adapting to D/P/Pl for a lot of the same reasons people couldn't adapt to R/S/E. I think it's a shame, because it's one of the best games, but it's understandable.

FairyGarland
April 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with Hoenn. It was different from the other regions but I think 'different' in a good way. I found the underwater exploration fun and I liked the secret bases. As for the Pokemon themselves, they were quite good too. I prefer Hoenn to Sinnoh anytime!

Pheonix_slayer
April 12th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I don't know either. I think all the 3rd generation pokemon games and pokemon have been VERY Well created. i like the hoenn region mapout style, etc. I also think that the pokemon are very creative for example, Salamance, Swampert, one of my personal favorites- METAGROSS, etc, are pretty awesome along with raquaza.

so my answer is that i am clueless

Umm how is it not realistic? Honestly the last time I checked earth was around 75% water and all ther regions are based off real areas of Japan for the main series. The designers didn't create Japan so it isn't their fault that there happened to be a lot of water where that region is. And everyone says "Then use a different country for the games." If they did that they would be blasted because people would say they did not represent the other country properly. They stick with Japan because they know it and are comfortable with it. The problem with Gen 3 wasn't even an actual problem it was everyone stuck in their ways getting mad that there were changes made. The truth is if they kept Team Rocket and had another region like Kanto/Johto everyone would have cried that they didn't come up with something different. The way I see it, if you hate one you hate them all. A true fan will not complain when something they like is made for them to enjoy but will be greatful that the games they love are still being made or that the original company is still working on them. Games like Sonic and Spyro were great when they came out but the new ones suck because people just complained about them and the creators passed the titles on to different teams to work on and look what happened. The question is, was Gen 3 or any generation really that bad that there should even be discussion on what made it suck?

AMEN! I AGREE TOTALLY
Honestly i couldn't say it better. i love all the pokemon games, and i actually saw improvement in hoenn or gen 3. the problem with all EXEPT GEN 2 is that you can't travel to all regions. You would think that Gamfreak and pokemon company would see that fans would want an awesome game, where you can get all pokemon (personally for me wiTHOUHT HAVING TO TRADE) , go to all regions.
my theory is that maybe they are building up to an UBER game, where all the good and bad guys joing together, in all regions, with all pokemon, with the ultimate climax and plot line. I know this is probably unrealistic, but i think that it is the only explanation for gen 3 and 4 to not have trips to other regions. Either that or Pokemon company is just REEEEAAALLLYYY LAZY.

.Kaiser
April 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Don't laugh, but emerald was my first pokemon game.
Seriously dudes. I loved it to the death.

Envoirment
April 12th, 2010, 05:26 AM
It's my fav tbh. I love all the water routes (Water pokemon remain my fav type) and they introduced that start of my favourite pokemon - Roselia (Later evolves into roserade in 4th gen <3). Also, it was nice to get away from team rocket. The 3rd gen is sort of a getaway from the norm of pokemon games, which I think is awesome. It also introduced a lot of new things into the game to try out. =D

Kobold Asylum
April 12th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I dislike the water routes and the lack of a whole lot of diversity. The new pokemon gimmick from gen 2 got old so I think that turned off a lot of potential customers. But truly this is my 2nd favorite gen. Gen 2 will always be my favorite. Particularly the remakes. Gen 4 is the worst. Gen one was only 3rd because of all the improvements made to the series as it went.

Kiger Mustang
April 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I found the water routes annoying and the Pokemon designs a little weird.
I dunno, I like it just fine but I think it could have been better.

TrilbyMenetti
April 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I don't hate the Third Generation (it's good), but I don't love like I do the previous two. Problems I have with the games were the new Pokémon at the time and the lack of the ones from both of the first two generations (thankfully, Nintendo have never abandoned them and I'm glad I could use them again just a year later), the introduction of Natures (controversial I know) and how soft the game was compared to the previous ones. Look at the rival for example. They're just annoying instead of someone you want to battle to kick their arse.

One thing I did like about the Third Generation was that it introduced the Running Shoes. Fantastic. :D

So really, not a problem with the Third Generation, just Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. :D

ILoveDragonite
April 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Bingo. Literally half of the routes were water routes. Water routes are the only places that you can take a thousand screenshots of in all different places and they all look the same. They also all have the same wild Pokemon. Which they have no excuse for, since water is by far the largest type. Furthermore, the levels of the wild Pokemon are so varied you can't train on them very well.

Sure you can repel. But repels don't magically change a water route into a normal route. They only take away content, they don't add it.

The half of Hoenn that isn't water is good and well varied. But that's the first half of the region. The whole second half is just water. Not very good for hanging around in after beating the Pokemon League.
Just join team magma, silly.

Xadet
April 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
3rd Gen happens to be one of my Favorite out of the Generations of Pokemon Games.
Yeah, I Don't own it anymore, And haven't played it For a long time. Yet, I Always found something new to do When i Finished the Game.
My Sapphire had about 250 Hours, my Friends even had over 300 Hours.

mattman324
April 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Gen3 is the black sheep of the series, having been made at a time where water games were in (Wind Waker, Sunshine... ect). I love them though. 2nd fave gen by far, with GSC being THIRD (IT'S OVERRATED PEOPLE! Time is not THAT GOOD of a function!), and DPPt being first. (The new pokemon either look cool, or at least are creative, unlike the Gen1 stuff)

The reason it isn't liked is the nonsence plot (In a pokemon game... yeah. And GSC's was far worse), and the sheer ammount of water (In the games favor, it IS presented in the best possible way... annoying, but kind fun).

EDIT: Can't forget the lack of a second region. Yeah, a second region... that would have not only been butchered, but would have butchered the main reason.

The Original Darkwiz787
April 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Personally, it's my favorite of the generations. I dislike DPPt. However, the region was not the greatest, and Team Aqua/Magma seemed a little sugar coated.

Aus0115
April 13th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I really enjoyed hoen its my favorite region

Ninja Caterpie
April 13th, 2010, 04:47 AM
imo, I actually like a rival that isn't an arrogant jerk.

Call me childish, but I like nice characters. ;_; I'm quite happy that at the end of HeartGold, your rival becomes (relatively) nice.

The Girl Once named Tracie
April 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I really liked Hoenn! It was the first region that came out that I was old enough to know about it, and I was really excited. At first, I was a bit let down, but it's like.... a really mean dog. It grows on you after time goes on.

Izanagi
April 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I found the Pokemon really unattractive and unlikeable. That kind of ruined the experience for me. But they were good games. I didn't really like Wally or May though. Neither of them really went through any character development at all. Wally just became a bit more independent, but that was so sudden that you couldn't really appreciate it because you only faced him, like, 3 times.

hack1
April 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM
There's nothing wrong with Gen3. I like water routes and new Pokemon.