PDA

View Full Version : Computer Internet Question

Corazón
March 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I have a router and it gives the internet signal to my computer, can the computer take WEP signal? I'm askign this ebcause I want to use Wi-Fi.

twocows
March 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Most modern computers should be able to handle WEP encryption. Windows should guide you through connecting to your router.

Corazón
March 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Does it take a long time to set up?

Gumball Watterson
March 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
The WEP key is located in a sticker somewhere around the router, close to a bar-code sticker. That is the key used to connect you should be looking for. Otherwise, if you check the settings of a connection, you should find the WEP field and a check-box that says "Show WEP key" or something similar depending on your operating system.

Corazón
March 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Would laptops be effected by this? and will I have to reset everything?

Gumball Watterson
March 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
No no. All you have to do is check a sticker behind the router to get the WEP key.

Corazón
March 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
No no. All you have to do is check a sticker behind the router to get the WEP key.
No, I mean right now the router is set to a WPA connection, would it change anything if I switch it to WEP?

donavannj
March 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
It would just change how secure the network is. WEP is an older encryption that has a far more vulnerable encryption key than WPA, but you can counter that somewhat by using MAC Address Filtering.

Gumball Watterson
March 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Oooh... I failed to read WPA in any of the previous posts >_<'

But any changes that go into reinstalling anything on your computer simply aren't possible. So you don't have to worry about any side-effects in the change process. Just... detect the new connection with whatever software you use(Windows default or an antenna drive).

Really, if your computer had a chance of spontaneous combustion during any changes to the internet we'd still be with Dial-up o_o'