PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find WEP Key

Yusshin
March 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I can't locate the WEP Key on my router. The router is a D-Link 625; its WEP Key is located not on the bottom of the router, but on the settings on the browser.

I can access the router part in 192.168.0.1 but I can't locate the WEP Key. I am on Admin; I just can't find it.

Where is it?

Melody
March 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Try looking in the Security or Wireless sections of the menu.

If you have to, just look in every page/tab/setting area on the router, you should be able to find it!

Yusshin
March 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I did. The only thing that looks remotely close to a WEP Key didn't work.

I know my router's on WPA protection, as well. Could this be why the Security Key doesn't work?

Melody
March 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Ummm yeah. WEP and WPA aren't the same. You should Google the model name and number of your router, and look on the manufacturers' website to see if you can find some sort of manual on how to change the settings.

Yusshin
March 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
It's my dad's, though :\ I can't change it or he'll throw a fit. Does that mean I'm screwed?

donavannj
March 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
It's my dad's, though :\ I can't change it or he'll throw a fit. Does that mean I'm screwed?

Can you ask him if you can change it so you can connect? I know I was able to talk my dad into it (but he's highly confident that no one's going to be seeking out our house to use our connection, and we also use MAC Address Filtering on principle. Your average wireless network leech isn't going to know what that is or how to get around it).

Yusshin
March 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
He says he doesn't want to unless all you do is press one button to switch it; he doesn't want to put the effort, and I'm not 100% sure how to do it either.

Anyone have a D-Link that can throw a little guide on this post for me ):?

donavannj
March 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I have one, but I don't know the admin password because my own father changed that on me, and I'm not home right now to ask my dad to show me it.

HackMew
March 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've got a link to a manual (ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir625/Maunal/dir625_manual_100.pdf) which should be for you router. You can jump directly to Section 4 - Security; read carefully. Hope it helps :)

twocows
March 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
It should be printed on the outside of the router somewhere; try checking the side, the back, and the bottom (again). I'd be really surprised if it wasn't.