PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 3DS discussion

Hiroshi Sotomura
March 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
[css-div="text-align: center;"][css-span="font-size: 20pt;"]IN[/css-span]
[css-span="font-size: 120pt;"]3D[/css-span][/css-div]

Yes, the next generation Nintendo console has been summarised by that very phrase. Not much else has been said, but here's a press release (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf) (PDF):

Nintendo Co., Ltd.(Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch “Nintendo 3D S”(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.
“Nintendo 3DS”(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed “Nintendo DS series”, whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.
We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

loliwin
March 23rd, 2010, 01:27 AM
I dunno how the hell are they going to do it without 3D glasses. Nintendo get crazier and crazier.

Wings Don't Cry
March 23rd, 2010, 01:39 AM
I think I saw a video with it before and the pictures were 3D. They weren't coming out but they were going in.

Haza
March 23rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
this is amazing. Im not going to get too excited but let us just imagine what they can do with the Pokemon franchise on this system... I probably won't be getting one right away though, as they never have cute colors with the first wave. Anyway, 3D, Wifi, and a mic all in one sounds good to me.

Bianca Paragon
March 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
*Yawn*
Wake me up when there's a true successor to the DS/Gameboy and not another spin-off like the DSi and this thing.

Jolene
March 23rd, 2010, 02:46 AM
*Yawn*
Wake me up when there's a true successor to the DS/Gameboy and not another spin-off like the DSi and this thing.

This is that: a new handheld console.

Also, didn't someone from Game Freak confirm that the console has an accelerometer?

Bianca Paragon
March 23rd, 2010, 04:44 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/nintendo-ds-3d-hidden-picture/341097
They'll probably just use something like this gimmicky garbage and try and claim it's ZOMG 3D
Calling it; Virtual Boy 2.

Haza
March 23rd, 2010, 04:57 AM
Yeah, thats new and impressive and everything but it is not worth introducing an entire new system over it, unless they can really find a way to implement it to all the titles on the system.

NotoriouzElmo
March 23rd, 2010, 05:26 AM
idt they wud release a new system with just that kinda of stuff and call it 3d cuz they cudda just dropped it like in 3 months if they already know how to do that, they're gonna drop it later like in 2011 or maybe late 2010

TRIFORCE89
March 23rd, 2010, 06:22 AM
As Bianca Paragon said, this is very Virtual Boy like.

And quite frankly...I don't see the appeal. It might be an interesting gimmick for the first ten minutes and then it'll get lame. This isn't actually 3D. I should have to move my head or the DS to see more.

I'm imagining lots of "hidden based on perspective" aspects like we saw in Super Paper Mario. Which was stupid. But, Nintendo must something we don't; unless of course they are going for the Virtual Boy route XD

At least Wii and DS were new control methods. I don't understand this. At least it will be more powerful and graphically impressive than the current DS lineup. Feel less like another DS spinoff.

This may give a neat effect to games with a similar viewpoint to the DS Pokemon titles.

Kobold Asylum
March 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Well if it has GB GBC GBA DS DSi backwards compatibility I don't care how gimmicky it is.

Bianca Paragon
March 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Well if it has GB GBC GBA DS DSi backwards compatibility I don't care how gimmicky it is.
It doesn't. It has DS/DSi backwards compatibility, only. Nothing earlier. So start caring.

Åzurε
March 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM
I don't think, even after all these years, that the DS has outstayed it's welcome. They could probably juice it for another year or so and still be in good shape. After all, it prints money. But, if this has anything to do with "New Pokemon Title", going by the DSi example they have now, things could indeed get interesting.

Talli
March 23rd, 2010, 06:42 AM
Curtis thinks this may not work, since how will it do it without giving people with eye problems headaches ?

Kobold Asylum
March 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
It doesn't. It has DS/DSi backwards compatibility, only. Nothing earlier. So start caring.

Damn. Back to the Emulators. Again. Why can't it at least support GBA? Gosh. I'm happy with my DSlite and my Laptop right now, thanks nintendo.

Alistair
March 23rd, 2010, 06:49 AM
I really don't think we should already be saying "this is going to be stupid" or "it's going to be too gimicky" quite yet. For one, this is just an anouncement. No hardware has been shown off, which means we don't even know how it's going to work. We don't know exactly what's going to be pushing the 3D, what kind of screen filter thay will be using (if one at all), nothing is known about how it's going to work.

But anyway, this will be interesting, seeing as though there have also been rumors of motion-sensing capability. Methinks and Elebits-like game involving motion and perspective will be in the works at some point.

Åzurε
March 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
Damn. Back to the Emulators. Again. Why can't it at least support GBA? Gosh. I'm happy with my DSlite and my Laptop right now, thanks nintendo.

It's a business strategy known as "phasing out". They're done with something, so they stop making it. DSi probably marked the end of GBA goodies in DS games.

Kobold Asylum
March 23rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
That's not strategic, they lose profits from the classics. It forces illegal downloading to play those games.

Alistair
March 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
No, actually, they aren't losing any profits. For one, the GBA slot would add to the overall price of the console, and decrease the profit margin. They would have to have a team working on GBA compatibility mode, whether it be through emulation or direct use of hardware. Then, they would have to actually include the slot itself, and possibly the ARM7TDMI processor (if aiming for compatibility on the hardware level). While true, in production it would only cost a few dollars, including those items adds to the production time of each unit (which, in turn, adds to the cost of the console). But besides the hardware side, Nintendo isn't losing profits over GBA games. They stopped production of said games, and earned as much money as they could off of them already. While true, they could collect royalties and fines for pirates, they aren't losing any money.

TRIFORCE89
March 23rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Enough with the GBA stuff. If you have GBA cartridges you want to play, chances are you have GBA or SP or micro to play them with or even the original DS or the lite to play them with.

The GBA came out in 2001! By the time the 3DS launches it'll probably be 2011. So, give it a rest. That ship has sailed. Do want the the Wii's successor to be able to read Nintendo 64 cartridges?

A Pixy
March 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
The reason why the virutal boy phailed is because its games suxxored and it hurt eyes.

I'm sure Nintendo has learned their lesson.

TRIFORCE89
March 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
The reason why the virutal boy phailed is because its games suxxored and it hurt eyes.

I'm sure Nintendo has learned their lesson.
And everything was red. And everything was green with the Game Boy. We've come a long way. But it was odd that they went with Christmas colours lol

Kobold Asylum
March 23rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Enough with the GBA stuff. If you have GBA cartridges you want to play, chances are you have GBA or SP or micro to play them with or even the original DS or the lite to play them with.

The GBA came out in 2001! By the time the 3DS launches it'll probably be 2011. So, give it a rest. That ship has sailed. Do want the the Wii's successor to be able to read Nintendo 64 cartridges?

Yes. Then I will be able to play my Ocarina of time and Majora's mask and Super Smash Bros. I don't like any of the wii's games yet. And I have a DSlite, but I can't trade pokemon from MY Emerald to my bro's Ruby through Ad hoc.

Theodore Bruno
March 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
So, wait, another DS? That makes, uh, the 4th kind, right? Maybe I'll finally buy this one since I still have the DS Phat. But really, I will wait a bit before buying, just to see how it turns out.

TJgamer
March 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
How is it going to be possible to make 3D images without the aid of glasses.
*Yawn*
Bianca has a point here. Nintendo has already released three new versions of the Nintendo DS. First there was the DS Lite, then the DSi, and finally the DSi XL.
But I suppose the reason why is because they have very tough competition against the PSP and iPhone/iPod Touch.

All I can say is, they better not make the same mistake they did with the Virtual Boy. But who knows. Perhaps they may come up with a new technology so that it causes no harm to your eyes (and brain).

Xebelleon
March 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
There is also a DSi LL, I think.

Would operate the same as 3D televisions, I guess. Perhaps these units will utilize built in red/blue screen stuff overlaying the display.

I'm going to miss the GBA slot. Again.

Åzurε
March 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Everyone keeps saying the DS isn't a direct successor to the Gameboy, and I don't really understand that. After all, it did play GBA games in the first place, and has Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda (and Metroid and Fire Emblem and Kirby, etc.) titles, and is the focus of Nintendo's handheld efforts. Is this a case of "they changed it now it sucks", or something?

Also, An-san, I don't think that they're doing the red/blue thing. That's pretty much old style at this point. It could possibly be one big screen, with the camera for perspective change like the DSi video... It's all up in the air, but I think this could actually get good. Maybe.

Jolene
March 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
So, wait, another DS? That makes, uh, the 4th kind, right? Maybe I'll finally buy this one since I still have the DS Phat. But really, I will wait a bit before buying, just to see how it turns out.

No. It's not "another DS". This is a brand new handheld console. It's the same one that Game Freak was talking about earlier in the year. It has an accelerometer (motion detector) and now we know that it has a 3D display feature. Bianca Paragon is just a misinformed cynic.

And it's not even possible for Nintendo to make a blunder on the level of the Virtual Boy. They don't take risks like that any more.

Bianca Paragon
March 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
They don't take risks like that any more.
Release handheld that has two screens, a microphone, and a touch screen with mostly garbage specifications otherwise? Make a console that is no more powerful than your current *failed* console and give it gimmicky wagglan' controls? Sounds like risky behavior to me.

Just because they got lucky doesn't mean they always will. I'm not a cynic, I'm a disappointed former Nintendo fangirl.

h0ser81
March 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM

I think it makes 5 now. DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and now this contraption. I just bought a DSi last week too. There's no way I'm justifying another big purchase for essentially the same thing to the wife. Hopefully this isn't just another DS iteration but a whole new handheld. I doubt it though since it's backwards compatible.

Jolene
March 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Release handheld that has two screens, a microphone, and a touch screen with mostly garbage specifications otherwise?

The DS wasn't intended to be Nintendo's flagship handheld.

Make a console that is no more powerful than your current *failed* console and give it gimmicky wagglan' controls? Sounds like risky behavior to me.

There is no way the Wii could have failed. Nintendo had clearly done their market research for the Wii. Their marketing methods haven't changed since launch, which shows that they understood their market from the start..

Just because they got lucky doesn't mean they always will. I'm not a cynic, I'm a disappointed former Nintendo fangirl.

Those are the worst kind.

Bianca Paragon
March 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
The DS wasn't intended to be Nintendo's flagship handheld.
Regardless of weather it was to be the GB Successor or the Third Pillar; the DS still represented substantial R&D dollar investment and thusly, risk.

There is no way the Wii could have failed. Nintendo had clearly done their market research for the Wii.
lolno. They got lucky. Plenty of other companies had tried motion control in various guises before the Wii and all of them failed. If they did any research at all it would have told them NOT to pursue the Wii as a concept.

You must be an abject *retard* to try and claim the DS and Wii weren't significant risks for a company that had lost its glory. The N64, the GCN? No risks taken; just painting by numbers and carrying out the motions. Nintendo *needed* to take a risk on the NDS and Wii. But for those two successful payoffs, there's dozens of failed Nintendo concepts (Virtual Boy, Powerglove, SuperScope, 64DD, and dozens of other gimmicky peripherals from the NES days). I understand you're just a baby and have no idea what you're talking about; but don't try to pretend like you do, poppet.

tl;dr Nintendo don't take risks? lol

Fox♠
March 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yes. Then I will be able to play my Ocarina of time and Majora's mask and Super Smash Bros. I don't like any of the wii's games yet. And I have a DSlite, but I can't trade pokemon from MY Emerald to my bro's Ruby through Ad hoc.

Fear not Nintendo will no doubt shamelessly rerrelease all of your favourties on the new DS.

Jolene
March 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Regardless of weather it was to be the GB Successor or the Third Pillar; the DS still represented substantial R&D dollar investment and thusly, risk.

Not much. A real risk would have been to use their Game Boy brand and to implement PSP-quality graphics. There was nothing on the line but money, which could easily have been recouped.

lolno. They got lucky. Plenty of other companies had tried motion control in various guises before the Wii and all of them failed. If they did any research at all it would have told them NOT to pursue the Wii as a concept.

It's more that they were marketing a console that promotes activeness to a market of casual gamers. This was failure-proof.

I understand you're just a baby and have no idea what you're talking about; but don't try to pretend like you do, poppet.

I knew you'd get condescending. They always do.

Bianca Paragon
March 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Not much. A real risk would have been to use their Game Boy brand and to implement PSP-quality graphics. There was nothing on the line but money, which could easily have been recouped.
Uhhh...money is a company's lifeblood. Risking money is the very definition of "risk". Your strawman is cute, but ultimately pointless.
It's more that they were marketing a console that promotes activeness to a market of casual gamers. This was failure-proof.
Because Eyetoy on the PS2 was definitely in the top 10 PS2 games ever sold, right? It's not like it was a cute, but niche, concept that sold OK but didn't break any sales records. See, the problem is that although the Wii did prove to be a great success there was absolutely no assurance it would sell well. It was a tremendous risk. Again, stop stuffing straw into your argument; stop being a baby and just admit that Nintendo has gotten arrogant and sloppy and thinks that anything it produces will sell.

Enjoy Virtualboy 2.0.

Yuoaman
March 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
^It's nice to know we have an expert on the scene.

Despite this being a brand new console I'm a little pissed that Nintendo is releasing it so soon after the DSi/XL.

TRIFORCE89
March 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
For people wondering how the 3D would be done... no, not like the TVs that are soon to hit the market. Those use glasses. No red-blue stuff either. I believe there's a video out. It's not 3D in the sense that you feel like you're in it or at least that it's right in front of you - but rather, that you're looking in. Like a diorama.

Alistair
March 23rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Yuoaman, that better be sarcasm in your first line. No one here is an expert.

Bianca, I do see that you are cynical, but you don't exactly know whether this is another minor update akin to the DSi or if it is an entirely new console. If I were you, I wouldn't persue that argument any further. There's no information backing up any side of that argument, so you are basically fighting over speculation (which gets you nowhere). I do agree that Nintendo is taking a bigger risk with this, though, mainly because I do not know how they are going to pull it off. I can kind of see where you are going with the motion sensing argument, but to be honest, the reason why it's a big success for Nintendo is because they made it a fluid and intuitive input method for non-gamers and casual gamers. The Eyetoy did try, I'll give you that, but at the time, Sony didn't take into account the technology limitations (One of my favorite things was not being able to use my Eyetoy in my basement because of "ineffective lighting"). In addition, Sony didn't market it effectively, nor did it really put much thought into the peripheral after launch. But about Nintendo being sloppy, not really. If you break down there systems hardware wise, you would see that. Nintendo used an updated version of the Gekko CPU for the Wii for a reason: it was cheap. Same goes for the GPU. The Wii itself is also really easy to assemble, requiring less time in the factory and less being spent on production. The Wii was a carefully calculated risk, to ensure they made money on the console, no matter how the market turned on them. That isn't sloppy.

Jolene, I can see where you are coming from too, but the Wii and the DS were big risks. While not neccessarily to Nintendo's coffers at the time, down the road they could have been. Let's take this back to the third-pillar thing. Back when the DS was announced, they had said that they were going to introduce the DS as the third pillar to there lineup. That, right there, is caution. At the time, the Gameboy name was a household name. So if the DS didn't catch on with the masses, they could just anounce another Gameboy. The DS could just be swept under the rug, just like the Virtual Boy. And as I said before, the Wii was a carefully calculated risk. All the internals, and the console itself, really, are made to produce a profit, no matter what.

Luck
March 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
See, the problem is that although the Wii did prove to be a great success there was absolutely no assurance it would sell well.
Ptf, since when was it a huge risk? Nintendo was still a hugely popular company, and it isn't like it couldn't bounce back with another 100 mario side scrollers and pokemon spin offs.

…admit that Nintendo has gotten arrogant and sloppy and thinks that anything it produces will sell.

But it does. They have a reason to be cocky.

Enjoy Virtualboy 2.0.
Hasty assumptions much? I still think it has potential since little was mentioned.

I think it seems unimpressive so far since it doesn't offer enough upgrades for another $180, but I'll still probably get it anyways. I thought the DSi wasn't worth the money, and I have it. This just seems too early IMO. :/

Bigdog
March 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM

GBA is two gens old already anyways. Just keep your old DS/GBA to play them.

Even if they did include compatibility for the Gameboy through Advance, it would be a huge risk considering that the general audience doesn't play Color or the original GB.

It made sense to include the First two with the GBA 'cause those were the big seller around that time when the GBA came out.

The only reason I can see them bringin' the GBA slot back is for games that used and solely relied on it (Guitar Hero and myabe some others), but they only jut out of the console if you remember the DSLite.

If you really need to transfer your Pokemon to the DS, do it now so you don't regret it later. (Unless Gamefreak pulls the same **** they did with Gen 3 having no compatibility with previous games)

I strongly hope Gamefreak tries to shake up the Pokemon concept by ridding all previous monsters from the Pokedex and make a fresh 150 that could be related to Gen 3. Plus ,change the graphics and the gameplay a bit to actually be a competant game again. Let's face it , the Pokemon we played on the DS is the same routine from the Gameboy days : Fight 8 leaders, have a rival, villaiins that have dumber motives each generation (Brain Drain?), and gameplay that feels recycled. Gamefreak needs to take a chance and make their next gen an innovative hit, otherwise someone will come up with a competant replacement on the PSP or the Iphone (Maybe both?) and Nintendo will be screwed as Pokemon is its only seller on the handhelds besides Mario and Zelda.

I'm waiting to see if this is a complete failure and for an updated version that will come a year later.

Heart's Soul
March 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
As long as there's no new anti-piracy DS measures for Slot-2, I'm happy. I'm still on DS Lite because I'm a disappointed Nintendo fanboy. They're going to turn this around, I hope, there are people who won't get an XBox no matter how much it fits them because we believe in Nintendo.

Jolene
March 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Also, this is not good news for people with only one eye. Maybe there will be an option to turn off the 3D because if you only have one eye the screen would just be blurry and not nice at all.

To be honest, I think that in the future most things will be in 3D. This isn't so much a gimmick as it is moving with the times.

Porygon-Z
March 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Damn! More money I'll have to shell out! Can't we have just DS for a little longer nintendo?! I only just got my wii!!

Alistair
March 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
If I remember correctly, the way Real 3D makes their 3D glasses is by using polarized lenses. Maybe Nintendo is going to use an "bubbled" display with a polarized filter overlay? If so, people with only one eye could possibly see the 3D effects.

TRIFORCE89
March 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Porygon-Z, so what'd the next DS have to do with the Wii? I'm sure lots of people had a GBA and not a GCN.

I don't think it's quite that kind of 3D, Jolene. Our analogies to the Virtual Boy are a little off in that regard.

Porygon-Z
March 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Porygon-Z, so what'd the next DS have to do with the Wii? I'm sure lots of people had a GBA and not a GCN.

I don't think it's quite that kind of 3D, Jolene. Our analogies to the Virtual Boy are a little off in that regard.

Well usually these things go hand in hand y'know, when it comes to pokemon and compatability.

N64 - Gameboy
Gamecube - Gameboy Advance
Wii - DS

I fear the pattern! :S

Alli
March 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Great, that means if gen V is released on this thing, I have to get it or I'll feel like a nub. -_- Pokemon can't be 3D. When I think of portable games, I think of something nice, slim, and easy to carry around, pretty much the definition of portable. I don't know why, but something about this idea just seems bulky and if 3D glasses are involved, we're gonna look like arses with those things on in public.

TRIFORCE89
March 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Great, that means if gen V is released on this thing, I have to get it or I'll feel like a nub. -_- Pokemon can't be 3D. When I think of portable games, I think of something nice, slim, and easy to carry around, pretty much the definition of portable. I don't know why, but something about this idea just seems bulky and if 3D glasses are involved, we're gonna look like arses with those things on in public.
There are NO 3D glasses involved

Drew
March 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
My god, another one..? D:

They at least need to stop calling them 'DS', and move onto another name.

I mean, that's like what? four of them now? By the time they're finished, there will be 8 different version of the original DS. laklsdfj /rant

I see no point in a 3D DS.. although once more info is released, and we see what games they'll make for it/what the games will be like, my opinion might shift.

Porygon-Z
March 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

I mean, that's like what? four of them now? By the time they're finished, there will be 8 different version of the original DS. laklsdfj /rant

I see no point in a 3D DS.. although once more info is released, and we see what games they'll make for it/what the games will be like, my opinion might shift.

Well as long as it has two screens, I don't see why the shouldn't be called a DS.
After all that's what it stands for. =)

Åzurε
March 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
After all that's what it stands for. =)

That or "Developer's System". ;)

And why does have to be bulky? iPhone says hi. I don't expect something on that scale, but there's no reason for it to be huge.

Is there information about whether or not it's a clamshell design?

TJgamer
March 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Lets not jump to any conclusions. After all, we have very little information on the new handheld console.
And if it is to be a clamshell design, I wouldn't be surprised. It is a good design to keep the screens protected from dust and scratches and stuff like that.

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM

O_o

If it's a successor to the DS and not just another spin-off or side release then it's still a DS. Just as the Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance were successors to the Game Boy. Or the PlatStation 2 and PlayStation 3 to the PlayStation. People don't seem to get confused there.

Jolene
March 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I think that the 3D will work by tilting the console.

Graceful
March 24th, 2010, 08:41 AM
....Crap.
What Is The Point? Because, First It's A Plain DS, then It's DS Lite (Which Is Still Good), Then DSi (What Is The Point?), And Now 3DS.
....Someone Shoot Me Now.....

Åzurε
March 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
....Crap.
What Is The Point? Because, First It's A Plain DS, then It's DS Lite (Which Is Still Good), Then DSi (What Is The Point?), And Now 3DS.
....Someone Shoot Me Now.....

Sure, but it looks like it's still happening, unless of course one of y'all has the last name Iwata.

Little observation here, isn't this the system that's getting the Tegra processor? It means, for those who missed the articles, that you could be seeing graphics superior to the Wii, while still having a battery life. While it's no PSP, it's a major improvement.

Bianca Paragon
March 24th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Where do these rumors about it using Tegra come from? People are making stuff up.

But for the record? Tegra wouldn't make it "graphically superior to the Wii"; Tegra is integrated garbage.

TJgamer
March 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I never heard of the Tegra processor.
Where did you hear about it?

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Where do these rumors about it using Tegra come from? People are making stuff up.

But for the record? Tegra wouldn't make it "graphically superior to the Wii"; Tegra is integrated garbage.
I believe they came from:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-wins-contract-for-next-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-to-power-next-gen-nintendo-ds/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ds2-vs-psp2-article

But, still rumours all the same.

---

I'm a little confused about why people are upset about "another DS" or that "DS" is in the name. I'm looking at it as the DS2, not another rerelease like the lite, DSi, and XL (which really...if you bought all of those when you didn't need to, that's your problem).

Sony has the original release and releases for the PlayStation, PS2, and PS3 but people were able to discern which were legitimate successors despite all of them having "PlayStation" in the title.

The document says "going to be the new portable game machine to succeed the Nintendo DS series"

parallelzero
March 24th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Nintendo using something gimmicky?

THIS IS ABSURD, THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT BRING SOLID GAMES AND IDEAS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF THIS GEN. NOW THEY BRING OUT SOMETHING GIMMICKY? HOW DARE THEY?

Just joking, this is totally like Nintendo. I sense a waste of money coming.

Bianca Paragon
March 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I believe they came from:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-wins-contract-for-next-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/nvidia-tegra-to-power-next-gen-nintendo-ds/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ds2-vs-psp2-article

But, still rumours all the same.
Pretty much any "news article" with a ? in the title should be instantly dismissed, lulz.

I'm a little confused about why people are upset about "another DS" or that "DS" is in the name. I'm looking at it as the DS2, not another rerelease like the lite, DSi, and XL (which really...if you bought all of those when you didn't need to, that's your problem).

Sony has the original release and releases for the PlayStation, PS2, and PS3 but people were able to discern which were legitimate successors despite all of them having "PlayStation" in the title.

The document says "going to be the new portable game machine to succeed the Nintendo DS series"
Nintendo also claimed the "Gameboy Color" was the successor to the Gameboy, and that the DS Lite and DSi are successors to the DS..

Cherrim
March 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM

BUT IF THERE IS NO NEW WII, WHAT WILL WE SEE NEXT TO OUR ROOM'S TV IN THE INEVITABLE 3DS POKEMON GAMES!? DDDDDD:
Nintendo also claimed the "Gameboy Color" was the successor to the Gameboy, and that the DS Lite and DSi are successors to the DS..
To be fair, at least there were Gameboy Color-only games on the market. I think they said there would be DSi-only games but either none have been released in the two years (or longer?) that the DSi has existed in any form or they all suck enough to not get media attention. :s And I don't really remember seeing Nintendo saying the DSi was the next step in the DS. More like a bit of an upgrade.

Really, I could care less if there's another DS on the way. I'm actually pretty happy if it means they'll stop with the goddamn micro-upgrades and release a new product already. New functionality is interesting and while I can't say what the rumours claim about the 3DS interests me in the least, when more details are out and they have tech demos or something running on it, maybe it'll be worth paying attention to. Until then I am very content to sit here with my DS.

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Pretty much any "news article" with a ? in the title should be instantly dismissed, lulz.

One of the three articles had a question mark in the title. I'm not treating them as news, but rumours.

The Game Boy Color was the successor to the original Game Boy. It may have still been 8-bit, but Nintendo built and marketed it as a successor. It wasn't like the Game Boy Pocket. I'm going by intention, not power. The Wii isn't very far off from the GameCube, but it's not a GameCube. The DS, the lite, DSi, and XL are just different models.

I don't really remember back to the lite, but with the DSi I recall the media treating it as a successor but Iwata being quite clear about releasing it simply to get more DSes per household.

BUT IF THERE IS NO NEW WII, WHAT WILL WE SEE NEXT TO OUR ROOM'S TV IN THE INEVITABLE 3DS POKEMON GAMES!? DDDDDD:
lol

spike6958
March 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have a feeling that Gen5 of Pokémon will be the main launch title seeing how it's suppost to start at the end of the year, even if it's not I'll be buying the console at launch as I have done with the first release of all Nintendo's handheld, but I really hope they only do one version this time, I'm sick of them releasing 3-4 versions of the same console.

Heart's Soul
March 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I heard Pokemon is the only third-party developer to get the 3DS dev kit. Yes, Pokemon IS THIRD-PARTY and TEGRA confirmed that one of their processors is used in 3DS and so did nVIDIA. Also, SONY is already trying to dismiss the 3DS. There's a difference between a cruddy addon like the PLAYSTATION MOVE (which Miyamoto dismissed) and an entirely new console to enter the 8th generation of gaming.

On, an unrelated note... here's something of interest. Original Slot-2 addon, but using DS cartridge? Spoilers because the image is somewhat big, but it's a patent for a new cartridge. Maybe Rumble Pak or extra RAM?

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=sickr.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsickr.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F03%2Fpossibleds2cartridge.jpg

I stick with extra RAM.

TJgamer
March 24th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I would have to go with the rumble pack. None of Nintendo's handheld devices have had any rumble feature of any sort.
The Gameboy Advanced had a accelerometer attachment for certain games, but that's different.

Bluerang1
March 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Here's my problems:

More money to fork out.
The world is moving too, fast, alright everything will soon be 3D, 4D seems alright but 5D! Here and now, that'll just ruin the whole visual aspect of TV.

However, I am looking forward to a 1st person or 2nd view while playing Pokemon, like that soapbox type game that was in the preview, that'll be AWESOME!

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I would have to go with the rumble pack. None of Nintendo's handheld devices have had any rumble feature of any sort.
The Gameboy Advanced had a accelerometer attachment for certain games, but that's different.
I think Metroid Prime Pinball on the DS had rumble. Pokemon Pinball on the GBC had rumble. But..beyond Pinball, nothing. lol It'd be nice to see. I had a GBC rumble pak once. Dunno how that worked

I heard Pokemon is the only third-party developer to get the 3DS dev kit. Yes, Pokemon IS THIRD-PARTY.
Eh.... not quite. They are Nintendo-exclusive and yet a separate company, like Rare once was. Not a true third-party developer. Maybe "second party" would be more accurate XD

zhfac
March 24th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I was just about to buy a DS Lite, oh well, still getting it.

Alistair
March 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Eh.... not quite. They are Nintendo-exclusive and yet a separate company, like Rare once was. Not a true third-party developer. Maybe "second party" would be more accurate XD

'Twould be the word for it. Nintendo hires GameFreak (or in some cases, Genius Sonority) to develop the Pokémon games for them, which are then published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. Woohoo!

And yes, Bianca, the Gameboy Color was the successor to the Gameboy. While true, it only offered a new color screen and the infrared communications port, Nintendo had intended it to be the next Gameboy in the line. While the DSi is akin to the Gameboy Color by only offering incremental upgrades, Nintendo did not intend for (or market) it to be the next DS.

And actually, Triforce, the DS Rumble Pak was supported by about 50 games. Most of them didn't have the function enabled by default, though, so not many people knew about the feature.

To be honest, I would not like to see rumble in the next DS unless it's effeciently done. This means minimal power usage and very small size, something akin to a mobile phone system.

But something has also been ringing around in my head: what kind of screen is Nintendo going to use? The old-fasion LCD, AMOLED, or Super AMOLED? Oh, and yes, there is a difference between standard AMOLED ans Super AMOLED. And what resolution is going to be used? It should use something to easily scale DS games on, if games aren't going to be letterboxed, but any resoution is possible (above 256x192, that is).

But I guess we have to wait until E3 to see this device in action.

TRIFORCE89
March 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
And actually, Triforce, the DS Rumble Pak was supported by about 50 games. Most of them didn't have the function enabled by default, though, so not many people knew about the feature.

But something has also been ringing around in my head: what kind of screen is Nintendo going to use? The old-fasion LCD, AMOLED, or Super AMOLED? Oh, and yes, there is a difference between standard AMOLED ans Super AMOLED. And what resolution is going to be used? It should use something to easily scale DS games on, if games aren't going to be letterboxed, but any resoution is possible (above 256x192, that is).
:o I stand corrected. Had no idea so many used it.

And for resolution. I don't think Nintendo is beyond pillarboxing or stretching. They did it on the GBA or GBC content.

Alistair
March 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
...and TEGRA confirmed that one of their processors is used in 3DS and so did nVIDIA.

I completely overlooked this statement. This isn't true. Tegra isn't confirmed at all. It is confirmed by nVidia that they are/were working with Nintendo on something, but nothing was specified. One of the reasons why (I guess) nVidia made this statement, though, was because Nintendo has been working with AMD/ATI for the Wii and the Gamecube GPUs.

But yeah, Triforce, they'll probably just letterbox it. My only concern is with the touchscreen, though. While true, there would be useless border around the actual input area if running in DS mode, input accuracy is something I'm worried about.

Coin
March 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I think it's good for Nintendo to continue with production for a couple years or so to perfect it.

I REALLY enjoy my Nintendo Wii and DS Lite combination right now. It's all I need.

InfinIcy
March 30th, 2010, 01:58 AM
If they come out with a Metroid game for the 3DS I'd be freaking out since everything would be attacking/shooting at me (unless it's a sidescroller and not first person like the Prime games).

NDS525
March 31st, 2010, 02:50 PM
I've heard that it isn't going to be a DS but a successor...

IDK

It will be interesting to see what happens...

Either this will be an http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/072/2/9/FREE_ICON__Epic_Fail_by_chibi_jak.gif or http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/838/106/q57588008329_5226.jpg

Shiiny Pikachu
March 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM
Imagine Pokemon battles in 3D....that would be awesome

Haza
April 1st, 2010, 07:29 AM
I seriously feel as if it was pretty stupid of hem o announce this so early. Are they even trying to sale the DSi XL?

Heart's Soul
April 1st, 2010, 07:57 AM
They didn't want Japanese journalists to find out about this before Nintendo and the journalists were very close. Nintendo just released it and we'll get it in 2011.

Niprop
April 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Remember everyone, asking what was the point of releasing the 3DS is the same as asking "What was the point of releasing the GBA when there's GBC?" A more accurate question would be "What was the point of releasing the DSi XL when the next generation is coming around the corner?"

The core DS system was released in 2004, and with little software revisions since, (I have yet to see a game tap any of the increased potential of the DSi, and the DSi shop is severely lacking in content), it's only natural they release the next actual step up in the line as to not become too dated.

Still, the way the handheld in question was described is quite vague, so we best not come to conclusions before we see the console's actual specifications. I just hope that it isn't a high graphics/bad battery life console with funky controls, and that there aren't 6+ different models...

Alistair
April 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well, mass production may have started on the screens. And great news! They're 3.4", 854x480 resolution! Of course, there's no official confirmation, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Here's a link on the subject. (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/nintendo-3ds-to-feature-3-4-inch-sharp-parallax-barrier-display)

Bluerang1
April 1st, 2010, 11:36 PM
Remember everyone, asking what was the point of releasing the 3DS is the same as asking "What was the point of releasing the GBA when there's GBC?" A more accurate question would be "What was the point of releasing the DSi XL when the next generation is coming around the corner?"

The core DS system was released in 2004, and with little software revisions since, (I have yet to see a game tap any of the increased potential of the DSi, and the DSi shop is severely lacking in content), it's only natural they release the next actual step up in the line as to not become too dated.

Still, the way the handheld in question was described is quite vague, so we best not come to conclusions before we see the console's actual specifications. I just hope that it isn't a high graphics/bad battery life console with funky controls, and that there aren't 6+ different models...

Agreed. Then again, they may a GameBoy Miro just before the first DS was released, and a friend got that for his birthday, so I guess even with the knowledge of the 3DS, some might still buy the DSi XL

TJgamer
April 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
Imagine Pokemon battles in 3D....that would be awesome

I agree. Especially after seeing a Youtube video of a Japanese game for the DSi. From what I saw, it uses the built-in camera to make it that you can look into the screen in different directions.
If this is done for the Nintendo 3DS, I would love to see a Pokémon game run in that fashion.

A Pixy
April 17th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I find it funny Nintedo's made a failure into an opportunity.

Gunpei Yokoi, you smart man you.

gossy
April 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
A 3D DS? Sounds like a plan.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Am I the only one that thinks the use of "3D" in a video game system is a not-so-great idea? Am I the only one that thought that 3D was silly and highly overrated when movies started using it?

I just don't see why I'd want this feature. Touch Screen was an awesome idea. But... I just don't see 3D being 1/100th as awesome. It also reeks of exploit. Am I the only one that fears that as soon as that thing comes out over 9000 games will be using that feature excessively?

I would personally appreciate a DS2 with a substantial hardware buff (As in, more than the minor-medium one the DS to DSi got) far more than a DS with... 3D

Jolene
May 12th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Well, it's not really a "cliche", is it?

I would say you are assuming too much. You are assuming that 3D will be the console's only innovation - that is not confirmed. You are also assuming this is just another version of the DS, rather than a new console - that is not confirmed either. Perhaps you should wait until the 3DS is unveiled before criticizing it. Or better, wait until you actually own the console.

I try not to be a cynic. Even about Nintendo.

RuRuBell
May 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm not really a fan of this whole 3D craze that is catching on. It just looks illy to me. If I wanted real 3D, I'd go outside.

I would like to see the DS be able to support better graphics, though.

TRIFORCE89
May 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Wellll... we know nothing about the platform yet really.

3D to me is neither innovative or cliche. It just exists. I like 3D. I like the extra layer of depth it adds. I don't care for things popping out at me, just the depth. Perception. I treat it just as a visual format. So...

Really it'd be as innovative or cliche in gaming as HD, which is neither.

xJordan360
May 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I always viewed the 3DS as like a star wars style hologram game system, albeit, not quite so fuzzy and static-y. ;p

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 12th, 2010, 08:33 AM
3D as we know it is fake 3D though, not holograms like in Star wars.

When they say 3D, they're talking about the kind where you used to put on those nerdy glasses in a movie theatre.

Though, I hear there will be no eye-piece / glasses for the 3DS (thank goodness)

I'm pretty sure the name 3D suggests that it's main feature is the 3D, and DS, suggests that it is a sequel to the DS. I'd bet money that it is not it's own series of consoles.

Getting it out of the way that a bigger screen, nor better hardware would be innovative in any way shape or form, I am quite confident in having this discussion as is.

Also 3D is an age old fad that took a grip on movies for a while. It was an illusion that made it seem as if things on the screen had depth stretching outside the screen, to a limited degree of course.

I recall seeing movies that used it. There were scenes practically dedicated to the cheesy effect.

I'd definitely classify it as overrated , and it hasn't held very well either in the movie industry. It is however being re-applied to games suddenly.

Is there any reason to believe it will be any different for games? =/

I mean heck, I configured my old Nvidia card to use the 3D glasses effects in games once, and it made the games look worse if anything.

Jolene
May 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
When they say 3D, they're talking about the kind where you used to put on those nerdy glasses in a movie theatre.

They're not nerdy. 3D movies are the cool thing to watch right now.

I'm pretty sure the name 3D suggests that it's main feature is the 3D

The main feature of the DS wasn't the dual screen.

DS, suggests that it is a sequel to the DS. I'd bet money that it is not it's own series of consoles.

Game Boy Advance used the Game Boy name, and that was its own series of consoles.

Also 3D is an age old fad that took a grip on movies for a while.

Yes, but now it's the new big thing in cinema. All the big blockbuster movies use it.

it hasn't held very well either in the movie industry

I mean heck, I configured my old Nvidia card to use the 3D glasses effects in games once, and it made the games look worse if anything.

Now that's nerdy.

Shadow
May 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM

Because the games weren't meant to be viewed with 3D glasses? Things have to altered in a special way to make any sense with 3D glasses on.

This is the first step to having holo-chess and such like in Star Wars. Let it come; we all knew deep inside of ourselves that it would come eventually.

Åzurε
May 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Uhm, by "3D", could they perhaps mean a tilt feature that shifts angles? I'm sorry I don't know a whole lot about an unreleased system, but it would be a whole lot more feasible to do that, now wouldn't it?

vibratingcat
May 13th, 2010, 05:13 AM
doubt it would be a big gimmick. its doesnt seem like its directly aimed at casual gamers anyway. if it turns out that its a big gimmick and they create incredibly annoying 'games' for the ds, then i will give up on nintendo as the ds was the only thing that was keeping me to them.

Barney.
May 13th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I'm personally annoyed.

I just don't want another Virtual Boy on our hands.

Jolene
May 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Here is news about the 3DS:

3D can be turned off:
In response to a question about the 3DS having an effect on kids, Iwata revealed that the 3D feature of the 3DS can be turned off.Said Iwata, "This isn't limited to just kids, but we're aware one in some tens of people, including adults, have difficulty with three dimensional visuals. So, while the 3D image is a special feature of the 3DS, we won't force the player to use the 3D functionality. By making it so that the player can at all times play with [the 3D feature] off, we believe we can comply with those who have difficulty with the 3D view or those who are worried about their childs' eyes.

Target audience:
Someone suggested that the 3DS appears to target core gamers, going at odds with Nintendo's aim to expand the game population. "I see no foundation for that statement," responded Iwata. "We definitely do not feel that 3D targets heavy users. However, we have a feeling that, until you've seen something that makes you say 'Of course, when used like that, it's clearly a 3D game that anyone can play,' you can't be convinced, so we hope that you'll make the decision in the future when you've seen something solid."

3DS may not be the final name:
Someone asked if "Nintendo 3DS" will remain the final name. Iwata responded, "We've said that it will be released during this term, so the announcement of the formal name will not be too far off."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/11/iwata_qa_summary/

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Because the games weren't meant to be viewed with 3D glasses? Things have to altered in a special way to make any sense with 3D glasses on.

This is the first step to having holo-chess and such like in Star Wars. Let it come; we all knew deep inside of ourselves that it would come eventually.

I don't think non-expert's should be telling Nvidia whether their graphics card correctly alters a game o.O

Also, I think those hopes are way too high... I see the "3D" effect being an extremely primitive venture at holograms at best.

Heart's Soul
May 16th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Well, I'm trying to make a 3D effect in Warioware DIY using Virtual Boy technology... (it hurts the eyes unless you are at 8 or 16x) it's going good.

Does the 3DS print money?
http://squidtv.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/2hp1vo2-jpg.gif

TRIFORCE89
May 17th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm personally annoyed.

I just don't want another Virtual Boy on our hands.
Then you'll be glad to know that it will probably be portable and not require stand, display in colours other than red, and not be glued to your eye sockets.

Cause 3D is why the Virtual Boy was bad.