PDA

View Full Version : Favorite or Favourite?

Ayselipera
March 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
So how do you spell favorite? Do you leave out the 'u' making it American English or do you add the 'u' in causing it to become British English?

I always spell it as, 'favorite'. I actually thought for a while that spelling it as 'favourite' was the wrong spelling. Which is what sort of made me think of asking this question.

Zebeedoo
March 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I spell it "favourite" 'cause I'm British. =P

reyzn
March 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
I always spell it as "favourite", for no apparent reason. I also like to use "colour" instead of "color".
/random.

TrinityLimit
March 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
i'm american, so i spell it as "favorite" i've never actually seen it spelled like that before..

Bichu
March 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Favorite cause I'm American. :0 Color/Colour LOL

Lie Ren
March 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks to me growing up in America, I say 'favorite', and 'color'.

Even though I've always thought that the other versions looked better somehow.

Tree_x
March 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Favorite did not even know there were other spellings ah haha....i can be quiet naive to the rest of the world being a American in California :O

Esper
March 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
I use the American spellings for all my words except grey and theatre. I don't know why those words are different, but I've always written them that way.

luf100
March 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Well I am Canadian, so I add the 'u' in favourite, colour, honour, etc. That's actually the proper way to spell it here. According to my English teacher (xD) if you go to university and spell it without the 'u' here, they'll mark it as a spelling mistake.

Timbjerr
March 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Being an American and having been taught the lexicon of noah Webster in grade school, I spell it "favorite". I also use "color", "honor", "flavor", "theater", "center", and "liter"

donavannj
March 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Being an American and having been taught the lexicon of noah Webster in grade school, I spell it "favorite". I also use "color", "honor", "flavor", "theater", "center", and "liter"

Don't forget "license", "recognize", "dialog", and "defense".

I'm American, so I use the American English form.

King Goodra
March 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm an American, so I think it becomes rather obvious that I, in the majority of the case, spell specific words that have multiple, yet similar spelling formats to what is standard to America. I would like to state that there are two words that were listed by Timbjerr that I spell differently than traditional American English. They are theatre and centre simply because they seem to look more artistic like that. As for the others, adding an extra u somewhere in the word seems rather pointless and really makes me pronounce each of the words differently in one way or another.

Talli
March 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Well since curtis and I spell it the american way everytime..

Signomi
March 24th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Favourite, with a u.

I am British, so it's only natural that I use the British spelling for words like favourite, colour, neighbour, etc.

Ninja Caterpie
March 24th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Favourite, labour, harbour, honour, etc.

Australia, yo.

The funny part is only America (well, close enough) denies the U.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!
March 24th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I'm english so I use the correct British spellings.

Funnily enough, this came last night in a gmail chat when Igot told off for not spelling "realise" with a "z"

BHwolfgang
March 24th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks to living in the United States for over ten years, I would spell "favorite" instead of "favourite." I wonder what it'll be like to one day add a "u" into all those words....

ShadowSalamence
March 24th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I spell it ''favorite''. It looks better, in my opinion.

Rokusasu
March 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I am British, therefore I crave extra vowels in things. 8D Like alphabetti spaghetti!

Cassino
March 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
English comes from England, so the English spellings always take precedence.

Chequer, liquorice; people tend to forget those. Let's not forget many whole words are different too, pants here are men's briefs so you all look like idiots when you say it.

Melody
March 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
American English.

I always use the American spellings, merely because I am American. Now if I were in England, I might use their way of spelling it. To me it makes no difference, my mind never recognizes the difference at all, between American English and it's counterpart from over 'the pond' ;3

Except in the case of words having a different meaning which I know of. >_>

To be honest, I think American English is far better simply because it is simplified a bit. I've never been a fan of unnecessary things, and the 'u' in some words is at the TOP OF THE LIST!

(Sorry, that's just how I feel)

Conan Edogawa
March 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I don't use the U when spelling words like favorite, color, honor, etc. It's the way I learned it and I think it looks better without the U.

Cassino
March 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've never been a fan of unnecessary things, and the 'u' in some words is at the TOP OF THE LIST!
Once upon a time and by some people in the present the U in such a word was noticeably pronounced, which is how the word is 'meant' to be said, but since the rise of America and thus explicit individualism the concept of a specific correct way to go about such things has dwindled.

Honest
March 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Favorite is my favorite way to say favorite. : P

xD, the U seem... don't wanna offend anyone, but seems weird. xD

Jolene
March 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I have lived in England and America and so sometimes I get confused about the correct spellings for words. I write "favorite" now but I probably slip up sometimes.

The Cynic
March 24th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I write "Favourite" and always will. Removing the "u" dosn't make it sound right with a Scottish accent. Incidently I write "Favouritise", not "Favoritize".

TheRichar
March 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Well im from mexico, but I spell favorite XD, I know I probably should post this but... da...

Mattysaurus
March 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I am an American boy, so it's the simplified way for me.

I once told off Snowwy for saying 'reconise'.
She explained it to me though. :3

Alexithymia~
March 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I am an American boy, so it's the simplified way for me.

I once told off Snowwy for saying 'recognise'.
She explained it to me though. :3
:3

And I am British, so I use British English ALL the time. It's the way I've been taught and there's no other way for me. I can instantly recognise when someone uses British or American English.

I've learnt that when learning English as a foreign language lots of students are taught American English, or the ones I've encountered anyway. ;p

Dixie Kong
March 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Favorite. Duhhh. I'm American. However, I used to use British spellings for words like recognise, but meh. I missed writing the letter z. Don't ask.

Sammi
March 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Favorite. Yet another boring American. d("d)

I used to spell gray grey... I think that was less liking the spelling and more genuinely thinking that's how it's spelled here in the US. I am an awful speller.

ReyRey-Pyon
March 27th, 2010, 06:11 AM
American spellings

but ive always thought the words looked better with the "u"

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
March 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
"Favorite"

I'm American, it's how I've seen it spelled practically all my life, and it saves wear and tear on my "u" key.

Cold Fusion
March 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'm Bristish so it's 'favourite', I also like the look of it with the u there...I don't know why. It's like with colour I suppose.

NatureKeeper
March 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Favourite, Europe is FTW!

ThatsTakao
March 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I alternate between both Favourite and Favorite, color and colour, and honor and honour.
I don't know why. D:
Typically on the computer though, I use American spelling because Firefox says its wrong if I don't. :|

★EP!K★
March 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I always write favourite because its just better.

Captain Hobo.
March 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I am from the USA so I spell it "favorite"

Jordan
March 28th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Having lived in both Canada and U.S.A., I'm pretty much a mixed bag. Theatre over theater, but favorite (and other "o" or "ou" words) over favourite.

Galukxy
April 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
I spell it both ways 'favorite' and 'favourite', but usually I spell it 'favorite'.

Binary
April 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'm British but I write 'favorite'..
I also spell it with the 'u' sometimes.

Kalala
April 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Im British, so i use favourite. I dont understand why Americans take the u off ._.

Halcyon
April 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
I was taught British English since I was born although I'm neither American nor British. xD

Melody
April 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
As much as I love all my friends from over the pond, I'm an American so I spell it 'Favorite'.

...Sorry if you were hoping to convert me to the British ways. (Charming as they are, they are not who I am) ;)

Brendino
April 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
I actually tend to use both 'favorite' and 'favourite.' Canadians are for the most part taught to spell things the British way, but with such a large American influence, both ways are widely accepted. It has gotten to the point that sometimes I'm not really sure how I am supposed to spell certain things. (one thing that I can never make my mind up on is the -ise or -ize endings)

Forever
April 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
I spell it as favourite. Also, I think a lot of Aussie and British kids might've been confused (assuming they're around this age) when they were playing the game boy "color", and used pkmn "centers". In year 7, I remember arguing with the teacher that it was spelt "center" because it was that way in my game. D: That was when I learnt the differences between America and Australia.

Also, Kenji says "Auztralians" to annoy me/others. And, having to type "Womanizer" instead of "Womaniser" sucks. Though then again, it isn't a real word, so it doesn't really matter.

And. The U looks pretty. :3

A Pixy
April 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
I live in Canada, a country which still has ties to Britain, so we say favourite, honour etc.

So yes, favourite.

Artic.uno
April 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
I actually switch depending on the person. :b For example, on the forums, I tend to say 'favorite' as the majority of people are Americans. However, when I'm talking to a British person, or any other person who uses British English, I'll say 'favourite'.

Though, I go to a British school so off the internet I always spell it as 'favourite'.

Gold warehouse
April 4th, 2010, 06:14 AM
English comes from England, so the English spellings always take precedence.

1,000x this.
I also love it when people tell me I'm spelling words incorrectly because they think the American way is the correct way. Actually, I don't love it, it annoys me.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I spell it favorite, but I like to spell colour like that. Though my computer says it's wrong, and my teacher's says it's wrong.

.hack
April 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM
British mudda Führer D:<
Favourite/Colour

Daydream
April 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Being a Brit, it's the U's for me. It annoys me when people here spell the American way. It's like, "You're not American! Spell it right!" I then proceed screaming at them.

I have nothing against Americans. Just their spelling. ¬.¬

michele
April 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM
i spell it as "favourite". i also spell words such as "colour" or anything that can be spelled with either just 'o' or 'ou' with an 'ou'. when words like that are spelled without the 'u' in there, it just looks odd to me. :\

enzo51
April 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I spell it favorite, that goes for color too.

poopnoodle
April 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM
i'm american, so i spell favorite and color and what not. that extra "u" is too much effort.

Toshiro.
April 5th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I spell it "favorite." Just the way im use to.

インフェルノの津波
April 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Favorite all the way. I couldn't spell it any other way, so Favorite.

AuroraHearts
April 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM
i say favourite,
because we brits are badmans who abuse the language like that whilst simultaneously drinking cups of tea ;D

Eon-Rider
April 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
English is a language that originated from Britain and since Australia used to be part of the British Empire, I use the "ou" spelling of the word.

flight
April 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
To be honest, I sort of write it both ways, and I can't tell which way I utilize more since I don't really pay attention to the spelling whenever I use it. XD;

SonicThrust
April 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Being Canadian, I generally use the British spelling of words, but not always. I'm pretty sure Canadian English is a weird mix of both the British and American spellings. I include the 'u' in words like colour and honour, but I never remember whether to use an 's' or 'z' in words like organization. I also usually spell words like centre with the 're' which is proper in Canada, although I like the 'er' better.

Finally, check and cheque are two different words for me.

xPsychosocial
April 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I've mostly been using favourite lately because that's the correct way as I've been told because I'm British but I frequently switch between the two. I often get the English and American spellings mixed up, I always have. I do the same with colour and color too.

zappyspiker
April 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I write both but I usually choose Favorite over favourite

Eliminator Jr.
April 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I use the spelling with a U. Spelling favourite as favorite just seems... weird. Sort of like putting a z in analyse to make it analyze.

Yusshin
April 15th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Favourite; favour; honour; harbour...

"Habour" is actually said a bit different because of the "u", now that I think of it.

"Harbor" = Har-bore
"Habour" = Har-burr

xD but yeah, I'm Canadian. I'm full of "u"s.