PDA

View Full Version : Can Some Computer wiz Please help me?

Syphr
March 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Ok, so here's the deal, I have a 2gb micro sandisk.

I used it once now it just doesn't work. Everytime I try to open it I have to format it,when it completes it gives me the error: "windows was unable to complete the format"

I've tried everything, I've gone to my computer -> manage -> disk management and tried to format from there, and I've tried formatting both NTFS and FAT but neither do anything

I'm running Vista x64 bit atm.

If anyone can help me figure out how to format this I would really appreciate it.

Melody
March 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Your first test is to take the card to another computer and try to format it there. If you cannot format it there, your card is hosed, and you essentially got a bad card.

Take it back to the store and get a refund. Or exchange it for a new one.

Syphr
March 24th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Your first test is to take the card to another computer and try to format it there. If you cannot format it there, your card is hosed, and you essentially got a bad card.

Take it back to the store and get a refund. Or exchange it for a new one.
Yup, I've tested it on 2 other computers...Guess I'll have to thanks for support on my decision. ;)

Heart's Soul
March 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Can you copy files onto and from it? Did you try different readers, different ports and did you try different software other than the garbage Vista has? If you answer in the following order: No, yes, yes, yes- you have a broken card.

donavannj
March 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Can you copy files onto and from it? Did you try different readers, different ports and did you try different software other than the garbage Vista has? If you answer in the following order: No, yes, yes, yes- you have a broken card.

Um... Vista has more options than XP does for what to do with USB storage devices. It's the device manufacturer's themselves who refuse to support Windows Vista and Windows 7. :\

HackMew
March 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Did you check the manufacturer's official site for OS compatibility?

Archer
March 25th, 2010, 06:32 AM
It's probably fine. Windows' inbuilt formatter is pathetic. If you know what you're doing, use GParted to format it to fat32.

Team Fail
April 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
This may not be a formatting issue at all. Do you use "Safely Remove Hardware"? If you don't than DO! I had an SD card that corrupted because I didn't. Using it, you can stop communications between the external device (The flash drive) and the computer. If it is reading/writing any data to the card and you remove it, it can become corrupted. To access it, go to the bottom right corner of the screen and look for the symbol of a USB cord with a green circle beside it. Click it and you get a list of all attached devices, or you can go to "My Computer" and right-click on the flash drive and click "Eject". This problem may have come from the card being corrupted.

Archer
April 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
This may not be a formatting issue at all. Do you use "Safely Remove Hardware"? If you don't than DO! I had an SD card that corrupted because I didn't. Using it, you can stop communications between the external device (The flash drive) and the computer. If it is reading/writing any data to the card and you remove it, it can become corrupted. To access it, go to the bottom right corner of the screen and look for the symbol of a USB cord with a green circle beside it. Click it and you get a list of all attached devices, or you can go to "My Computer" and right-click on the flash drive and click "Eject". This problem may have come from the card being corrupted.

And the only real way to fix this is to format it.

Team Fail
April 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
And the only real way to fix this is to format it.

Ok. *starts looking for the corrupted sd card* Dannnnggggg.... I want it fixed. Bad.