PDA

View Full Version : How to read some files

Heart's Soul
March 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Well, I have these few files from a video game, an RSS, PY, and PYC. I want to know what's in them, mainly for the soundtrack. And, obviously, they're in the RSS files as they're the only ones over 100KB and the quality is very good, so it can't be a MIDI, but nothing gets rid of that option.

Anyway, is there a way to read RSS files? PY and PYC can help if anyone needs them, but they're just scripts. That, I can tell.

twocows
March 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
What video game are they from?

HackMew
March 25th, 2010, 06:14 AM
What video game are they from?

Yeah, telling us what the game is would help. Those .py and .pyc, like you said, are scripts. Python, to be precise. I'm guessing it could be a game for a mobile?

Heart's Soul
March 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I thought it was Python when I first saw it. But, it's not for mobile as the test RSS is 160MB in size and there are 17 of them ranging from 4MB to 200MB each.

Anyway, the game is Russian, but if it'll help, this is the title:

"Петька 3: Возращение Аляски"

Here's something else, it uses an older model of Python, the game was made in 2001. If I guess right, all 5 games of the series I have now use the same encryption. There are nine in total, using different code (a tenth is being built now) but even the newest one (made in January 2009) uses an old system as it can run on my piece of garbage (1150 GHz computer, my Pentium4 machine was destroyed by my father by adding in more RAM). But, as I said, it's a guess on the encryption.

Also, it is NOT an RSS Feed, Google.

twocows
March 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I thought it was Python when I first saw it. But, it's not for mobile as the test RSS is 160MB in size and there are 17 of them ranging from 4MB to 200MB each.

Anyway, the game is Russian, but if it'll help, this is the title:

"Петька 3: Возращение Аляски"

Here's something else, it uses an older model of Python, the game was made in 2001. If I guess right, all 5 games of the series I have now use the same encryption. There are nine in total, using different code (a tenth is being built now) but even the newest one (made in January 2009) uses an old system as it can run on my piece of garbage (1150 GHz computer, my Pentium4 machine was destroyed by my father by adding in more RAM). But, as I said, it's a guess on the encryption.

Also, it is NOT an RSS Feed, Google.
If the game is for PC and the sound files are generated (as opposed to recorded), you're probably out of luck unless someone else has already written some sort of interpreter for them. Google is your friend, but good luck finding anything if the game is Russian.

Heart's Soul
March 25th, 2010, 04:33 PM
They ARE recorded, as the game has voices that are made by actual humans. Oh, and it is for PC, but... RSS? I thought it'd be more regular with Python.

twocows
March 26th, 2010, 06:51 AM
They ARE recorded, as the game has voices that are made by actual humans. Oh, and it is for PC, but... RSS? I thought it'd be more regular with Python.
Most older games use a mix of synthesized and recorded sounds. If you're trying to get the recorded sounds, try opening one with a hex editor. If you find a string like "RIFF," "PCM," "WAV," "Ogg," "ID3," or something that looks like "yu" anywhere near the start, you might be able to just read in the data as WAV, OGG, or MP3, respectively. If not, you're probably out of luck unless someone's made a tool to convert their format to a usable one.

Heart's Soul
March 26th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I did a Google search and I was led here. TIWR (This isn't working right)

I have no idea what kind of encoding it uses as it uses a different verison of encryption.

HackMew
March 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Well, I got a copy of the game (apparently the English translation would be Petka 3: The Return of Alaska) so I could take a look at those .rss files, which I've decided to call Resource Stuff files for the lack of a better name. There weren't many files, and the biggest ones were those .rss ones. I looked at the python scripts too, and found this:

sdialog1 = [
[ 1, "sound\\Scn_01\\Petka\\1_p_001.wav", "Talk_Petka" ],
[ 1, "sound\\Scn_01\\Vich\\1_v_008.wav", "Talk_Vich" ],
]

So I basically had the confirm the game was using .wav files for dialogues at least (later I found out that apparently everything is in .wav format, sounds and musics too). Problem is those .wav files were inside the .rss, in particular block16.rss and block18.rss. I tried analyzing those .rss files with some tools, but couldn't find anything interesting. So I took a hex editor and analyzed them manually, and I discovered they're a sort of custom archives. Their structure was quite straight-forward so I made a little tool to extract their contents. In the attachment below there's a sample.

Heart's Soul
March 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
That's impossible to get an official English translation, SATURN+ never really released any games here and the game (in my opinion) would get a M rating at least. Never mind, there is a translated title, but the game is still Russia-only. Oddly enough, the publishers also rule as THQ and EA and so on.

Anyway, can I have the tool, I thought block18.rss was the WAV files. Also, Petka to Petka 5: Game oveЯ (Russian- Петька 5: Коней игрЫ) definitely has RSS files. Also, I'd try analyzing this game myself, but give me 6 years and I'll be programming until I drop.

Also, if you could understand Russian, this is what I'm telling you.

Большое спасибо за файлы, приятель!

Other than that, this game is amazing.

EDIT: Okay, if I get the tool, I'll test it on other Petka games, I got 1 through 5 at the moment, it's on one disc, got the Golden Collection while you downloaded it.