PDA

View Full Version : In the eye of the beholder

Esper
March 30th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Today, while I was out, I looked at the sky and the trees in bloom and I thought “It’s a beautiful day.” It was really no different from yesterday, but yesterday I wouldn’t have said it was beautiful. So I'm asking:

What is beauty? What makes something beautiful?

twocows
March 30th, 2010, 06:22 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6328/yotsuba2.jpg
I find nearly everything beautiful in a way, because being able to experience it means I'm still alive to create such experiences.

Alli
March 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
It's weird. I recently told someone that one of my favorite words is beautiful, yet I'm not sure what all I consider to fall under that category. I think love is beautiful...when it's true and passionate.

lame reply, sorry

flight
March 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think Syd's beautiful. <3

But anyway, anything that's tranquil to me in a...really profound way can be considered beautiful to me. I like things that are deep in meaning, and purity is also beautiful to me.

Mattysaurus
March 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
A place that is small and tranquil, with blooming flowers and a flowing river.
Animals that live there are bouncing around and having the time of their lives.
Just sitting a reading a book, enjoying the scenery.

My definition of beauty is so cliche. >_______>

Ayselipera
March 31st, 2010, 05:40 PM
That's really hard to explain. I find many things beautiful, but I'm never quite sure what makes something appealing in my eyes. I guess beautiful to me is something that when you look at it touches you deep down and almost makes you cry. It means more to me then how something looks, but more of how it makes you feel.

For example you can look at a sunset and say it's beautiful just by the colors and sight of it. You could also look at a sunset and say it's beautiful because of the emotion that you get just from seeing it. Which is more of what I relate to. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it's how I feel. As sappy as that sounds.

Throat
March 31st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Something that makes you delight due an appealing appearance or meaning

Melody
March 31st, 2010, 06:12 PM
While I can't really specifically define what beauty is to me, I can say that it's something that looks so wonderful that it affects me emotionally in a measurable way. When I say measurable, I mean measurable by me, not by others.

Still, beauty is a word I don't often use to describe things. It's sufficiently rare enough in my vocabulary that the word means something to me.

Anxiety.
March 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Everything. Everything and anything.
I look out my window, grey, drizzle, foggy - and yet I find myself thinking about how beautiful weather is, even when its rain, it's still simply amazing.

Anyone can look at a sunset on a beach and say 'It's beautiful' but only people who can see true beauty can look at the dullest day and know why it's pretty

Throat
March 31st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Everything. Everything and anything.
I look out my window, grey, drizzle, foggy - and yet I find myself thinking about how beautiful weather is, even when its rain, it's still simply amazing.

Anyone can look at a sunset on a beach and say 'It's beautiful' but only people who can see true beauty can look at the dullest day and know why it's pretty
So, according to what you said, 'beauty = mood'. I must disagree. Enjoying to see a sunset isn't the cause, but the consequence then.

Esper
March 31st, 2010, 07:58 PM
So, according to what you said, 'beauty = mood'. I must disagree. Enjoying to see a sunset isn't the cause, but the consequence then.
I think beauty has a lot to do with mood, or at least with how receptive you are to seeing beauty in things. If you're in a bad mood things don't look as beautiful. That's my experience. And when something doesn't look beautiful it's not beautiful.

Binary
March 31st, 2010, 09:10 PM
Well, anything is beautiful if it is timely and pleasurable.
And I agree that beauty also depends on mood.

robobbiebob
April 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
It's weird. I recently told someone that one of my favorite words is beautiful, yet I'm not sure what all I consider to fall under that category. I think love is beautiful...when it's true and passionate.

lame reply, sorry

I agree with this responce! :D
Love = Beautifull!