View Full Version : The World Ends With You

April 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I hope this is okay to post. xD I didn't see any other threads with the same topic, so I figured it would be alright. :3

But anyway! As you can probably guess, this thread is for discussing the DS game The World Ends With You. Has anyone else played it? What did you think of it? When I played it, I pretty much beat it all in one sitting because it was just so good I couldn't put it down. xD The battle system was a little difficult for me to get at first, but once I caught on, it was a lot of fun, because it was so different from most other systems out there (in my opinion, anyway).

Involuntary Twitch
April 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
I love this game. x3 It remains one of my favorites to this day. The characters are memorable, the plot is excellent (with all of its xanatos roulettes and twists and the like), and the battle system is incredibly innovative. I just wish it had multiple save files is all.

They need to make a sequel, because the whole concept is too unique and cool to only use once. Or at least give it a spiritual successor or something.

April 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
This is one good game.
one of my favorite DS games.
I love the start, the game play, and how it looks.
Veryy well done game.

April 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, it is definitely one of the best DS games I have ever played. The ending was a little confusing for me, though, haha. It sort of reminded me of the ending of Kingdom Hearts II. I dunno why. xD It would be pretty cool if they made a sequel, or a spiritual successor, as Zephyr said. I wonder what they could do for a storyline in that, though? It might be a little repetitive if they had it be the same (or a similar) story, just with different characters.

April 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I don't like being pulled into the Square-Enix bandwagon...their rabid fanboys grate on my nerves...but I have to admit that I love TWEWY. It had a fun battle system (even though I've never manually took control of Shiki, Joshua, or Beat) an interesting story, and awesome characters. I actually feel like playing it again just because of this thread. :D

April 4th, 2010, 2:28 AM
I was totally taken by the soundtrack, graphics and artwork. I never even finished the game but it remains one of my favorite DS games.

April 4th, 2010, 2:31 AM
I liked the game :D Not my favourites though.

It looked really unique and played really unique, but I just can't look up and down that much. :( :(

April 4th, 2010, 3:09 AM
Loved this game, gripping & emotional story, relatively good graphics for DS & a great soundtrack, played this game any chance I could for about a week to get it done.

April 4th, 2010, 9:13 AM
It's definitely one of the best DS games out there, since it can make J-Pop work in a video game. The battle system is pretty weird, and requires a bit of skill to control both characters, but if you can't control your top character, the game always takes over and controls them for you, which IMO they suck at, but it's better than nothing. The storyline was pretty unique, and the voice actors were actually really good. The art was amazing, and there were just so much options. If I didn't sell the game last year, I would still probably try to find all of the pig noise and completing my pin collection. Oh right, and permanently boosting your stats once a day is awesome. It can get pretty repetitive sometimes though, and some pins are just overpowered.

I completely forgot. They also have an alternate story which is completely different from the main one. It's called another day I think, and that was just so awesome.

April 4th, 2010, 2:14 PM
One of my favorite games of all time. Of all time!

I've completed the pin collection, gotten all items and maxed out all shops Friendship gauges. All that's left is maxing Beat's stats out and HP/drop rate (which I'm going to ignore for the sake of my sanity). And, y'know, sometimes I play through the storyline again anyhow.

Also, someone has come up with a possible reason to the lyrics of Twister. o_O

Brain wave, main wave
This does in fact efer to Kitniji's plan, using Instrumentality to create a main thought or brain wave

Psycho got a high kick
Indicating that Neku who is Psycho according to some secret reports is the only one who can stop it.

Collect and select
Show me your best set
This refers to the pins, indicating that he needs to take it seriously

Crystals, blisters
It's all over now
The crystals are clear an inpenertrable just like thoughts are, however they also cause conflict and pain hence the "blisters" part.

Psycho cane
You're so keen
I need more candy canes
Considering this shows up when Uzuki and Kitaniji apear on the screen I belive this refers to them. A cane has implications of punishment. The Pyscho cane therfore is Uzuki and the candy cane is in fact Kariya. the you're so keen might be another taunt.
Alternatively, the Psycho cane part could refer to Kariya, who figured out what was happening in the games, if only somewhat.

Cold cake, cold break
This one's easy. Cold cake is sort of a deathday cake a reverse of a birthday cake (which with birthday candles is normally hot). Cold cake indicates how unexpected Neku's death was.

Freak got a high kick
Mr. Twister
Moist with roistering
The fact remains that "freak" is used exactly like "Psycho" is. I belive this is Joshua this time, however. A Twister would be a manipulator. Moist with roistering means approximately, made damp with rudeness. In the secret reports it is stated that Joshua is stressing Neku, making him sweat with his rude behavoir.

Stick it up
Take it up
Step aside and see the world
This one is pretty easy, The World Ends With You it's up to Neku if he wants to see the world outside himself.

Effect has defects
Take a bow to the moon (Bow-wow to the moon)
As the secret reports stated, Neku's "defect" was his unstable Soul. The "effect" created a Soul versatile enough to allow him near infinite pin mastery. however even with this power Neku is essentially serving Joshua (who uses the moon as his highest Player attack).

Morning rays, Hairspray Queens
Get on their way to their nests, the west
This ones a sad interpretation. The Haispray queens are Shiki and Eri due to their fashion obsession. Morning rays represents life, the west sunset or death. Eri is alive and Shiki is dead.

Honest, they once had a dream
Belles of society, in the shells of their unity
This refers to the Bito siblings. They aren't as close becuase of interal conflict especially Beat's first entry fee. But Rhyme's entry fee was Lost Forever and therefore she "Once had a dream"
"Cornet 'n spinet
The sound flows, follows till they're home"

Cornets and spinets are both instruments, therefore these are refering to the players who have to follow the game's rules till they come back to life. It's notable that "Neku" is Japanese for "sound" suggesting that they can find sucess if the follow Neku.

Dragged by the power of dreams
That power is yet unknown
The only reason they want to do this is their own ambitions. The game doesn't know whether they're worth the effort until they prove their potential or "power" themselves.

I think some of it's pretty iffy, but it's a nice attempt. All I did was change the format so people could read it, and some spellchecking.