PDA

View Full Version : Pop, Soda, Soft Drink, or Carbonated Beverage?

Yusshin
April 3rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Which do you say in your neighbourhood? Do state your city, too, if you want :s that way we can compare where the dialect is different!

I'm from Canada, and in Ontario we say "Pop" more often than "Soda", and we never say Soft Drink. Carbonated Beverage isn't common either; mostly it's used by show-offs.

In Quebec, we say "Soda", since "Pop" doesn't exist as a word over there, or a transitional phrase from English to French.

If you call a soft drink something other than what's listed in the poll, post to tell us what you call it.

Alli
April 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Um. Dude. Where's coke? We just call it coke down here, regardless of the brand. Though coke still = coca cola, but even if you say coke, you're talking about soda. It's weird, nuff said.

Spinor
April 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
In my School, we say Coke. Because we can't seem to care about any other kind of soda XP

MegaSlowBro.
April 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Over here, we say soda. I've hear Coke around the neighborhood too =p

Yusshin
April 3rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm not a dude ): /sad

and Coke is a brand; you call Pepsi "Coke"? How odd. I can't edit polls, though :s so I guess if you call it something else, post it in your message to clarify.

BHwolfgang
April 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
My school and I would say 'soda', but we always have that jokster who would say 'carbonated drink' whenever he feels like it.

Odd, I never knew that Coca-Cola would be that popular.

michele
April 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
i say pop. i rarely ever hear people say soda or soft drink, and i don't think i've ever heard anyone use carbonated beverage. x]

Kura
April 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
PURPLE DRANK!

Nah.. I probably just say "Pop" I think. I know some of my cousins say "Fizzy Drinks" :/ I just find that strange.

Cherrim
April 3rd, 2010, 10:33 PM
I say "soft drink" a lot since I grew up in provinces other than Ontario and that was fairly common. Second word I'd use is "pop" but never "soda".

I don't think I've ever heard people actually use "soda" before, haha.

luf100
April 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Mostly everyone around here says pop. I don't think I've even heard anyone else call it anything different. O_o

donavannj
April 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM
and Coke is a brand; you call Pepsi "Coke"? How odd. I can't edit polls, though :s so I guess if you call it something else, post it in your message to clarify.

Coke is the brand that's based in Atlanta... and the original of the fizzy beverages, so it's only natural that those in it's home turf (the Southeast US) call all of it coke. Pepsico (makers of Pepsi) are an NYC area company, and many in the Deep South still despise "Yankees" (no, not the baseball team)

I don't think I've ever heard people actually use "soda" before, haha.

I hear it all the time... I'm in an area where "pop" is dominant, but "soda", because of our proximity to Wisconsin, is heard very often, as is "soda pop".

Meta-Morph
April 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Eh I drin k it and call it soda.

Yusshin
April 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Coke is the brand that's based in Atlanta... and the original of the fizzy beverages, so it's only natural that those in it's home turf (the Southeast US) call all of it coke. Pepsico (makers of Pepsi) are an NYC area company, and many in the Deep South still despise "Yankees" (no, not the baseball team)

Yeah, I know Coke's history; it's called "Coke" for an easy reference reason, too

lols @ secret ingredient

but people in Alabama and Georgia call 7Up, Mountain Dew, etc. "Coke"? I can't imagine that :s Coca Cola = Coke, not 7Up.

Mattysaurus
April 4th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I've always said 'soda'.
Everyone here in this large city says 'soda'.

Soft drink is usually only in advertisements, right?

RTHookers
April 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Are people here drugged? Coke? WHY THE HELL YOU DIDN'T SHARE WITH ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?

--------

Anyway. I drink either water or Cola, I like drinking vodka sometimes, whiskey is also good. I like Chivas. BLUE LABEL IS THE !#!$!$#@%@#$%#$%^#@^ BEST. But it costs a lot..

Talli
April 4th, 2010, 01:15 AM
we call by it's brand call, like if we want an sprite we'll ask where they kept it.

III Michael III
April 4th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I would just say pop, we never say soda or soft drink, and I have never heard anyone call it a carbonated beverage.

Binary
April 4th, 2010, 02:31 AM
We say "soft drink" around my area. That's what I called it since I was young. Sometimes we also say "coke", but I've never heard anyone say "carbonated beverage". I didn't even know that the word even existed xD.

Aril
April 4th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Well, im from Norway, and we say "Brus" over here, but when i've been in America, i said Soda^^.

Ayselipera
April 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I'm from Massachusetts and everyone around here says soda. I never hear any of those other names being used.

Ambellina
April 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I say "soft drink" a lot since I grew up in provinces other than Ontario and that was fairly common.

:O Same here! Only until I moved to America did I hear people say "soda". I only use that from time to time though

Timbjerr
April 4th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Here in southeastern Texas, I grew up hearing 'soda' most dominantly with some people using the deep south term, 'coke'.

I personally use the former...it's rare to hear someone call it 'pop' here. XD

Captain Hobo.
April 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
We say Soda and sometimes soft drink.

Daydream
April 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Most people around here (North East England) say "Pop" as a general term for like Coke, Fanta, Sprite and stuff. Some of the older generations say "Fizzy Pop/ Drink."

But usually I just say the brand name of the drink it is. ~

enzo51
April 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Over here, we say Coke although sometimes we say softdrinks

Esper
April 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Obligatory pop vs. coke vs. soda map (http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.gif).

I say soda, like the rest of my people. Everything else sounds funny.

If I went to a place that didn't sell coca-cola and asked for a coke they'd roll their eyes and say "We only have pepsi."

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Down here in North Carolina, it's 'Soda.' Still trying to get my parents to realize that simple fact, lol.

A Pixy
April 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I just call it a drink.

Sometimes I'll call it pop but I'd never call it soda.

Honest
April 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Coke here in New York City all day... and the few idiots joke around saying they added some crack to all the vending machines and that stuff. : P. But it's still coke. xD

DXrobots
April 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM
[FONT="Calibri"]I'm from Canada, and in Ontario we say "Pop" more often than "Soda", and we never say Soft Drink. Carbonated Beverage isn't common either; mostly it's used by show-offs.

I probably just say "Pop" I think. I know some of my cousins say "Fizzy Drinks" :/ I just find that strange.

Typical Canadians.

I call it soda even though everyone else in canada seems to call it pop =P

ILoveDragonite
April 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I call it Soda pop....so yeah.......

Yusshin
April 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Obligatory pop vs. coke vs. soda map (http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.gif).

If I went to a place that didn't sell coca-cola and asked for a coke they'd roll their eyes and say "We only have pepsi."

That's a cool link; thanks for sharing that with us.

And if you go to Quebec, DXrobots, you'll hear Soda a lot :P or "Boisson Gazeuse" which means "Carbonated Beverage".

ILoveDragonite
April 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Typical Canadians.

I call it soda even though everyone else in canada seems to call it pop =P
I live in canada, i call it both, at the same time! :P

Melody
April 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Usually, we refer to them as "Coke" mainly because most of the more popular brands of soft drink are indeed made by the Coca-Cola Company. Most of the time, the Pepsi company stuff is merely referred to by it's brand name.

But yeah, we use "Coke" as the generic term around here in West Texas usually, since most people do prefer Coke over Pepsi. :3

I personally hate it when people call it "Pop" or "Soda" because those are outdated terms. x3 (Seriously, unless the person is a senior citizen, I will almost always correct them.) I tend to use "Soft Drink" if I really have to refer to it without naming a specific brand.

People who call it "Carbonated Beverage" are just being smart-alecks so I ignore those people. xD

Tater Tot
April 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I just call it by the name of the beverage... XD; Everything else sounds weird, especially Pop. Southerners like me never say Pop. Ever. If I had to choose between the four... I guess Soda. It sounds the least, "Holy crap I can't believe I just said that."

Prince_of_Light
April 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm from upstate New York originally so I always call it soda. Ever since we moved to the west coast though everyone here calls it pop. It's another one of those subtle east/west differences, when it comes to the US anyway.

LOL that is epic. But I was right! New England calls it soda. I never knew the whole midwest called it pop too though. in fact according to that graph my particular county calls it "soda" 80-100% of the time!

TwilightBlade
April 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I say soda, maybe soft drink, but never the other two.

However, I have referred to Sprite and Dr. Pepper as Coke... DUDE I NEED COKE.

xxkaylabby
April 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
i say either soda or pop (:

Shovel Knight
April 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Soda definetly, except I liked the Throwback Pepsi that came out earlier this year. Is that considered a soft drink?

Druid
April 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Pop, I only ever hear soda when someone's talking about "cream soda", etc.

Soft drink is completely unheard of where I live, I didn't even know that it meant "pop" until a year or two ago. Carbonated beverage sounds like what a senior citizen would say at a wedding... never heard it before XD

Daeva Okami-Luca
April 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM
You should have added Coke to the list. In Texas and most southern states, all soda is called "Coke".

I call it soda. YAY MIDWEST

Toshiro.
April 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I usually say soda, but sometimes I use soft drink as well.

Sobriquet
April 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Here in Indiana people tend to say Pop. With roots in Texas, however, I say soda. I hear "Coke" a lot down there too.

Yusshin
April 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
You should have added Coke to the list. In Texas and most southern states, all soda is called "Coke".

I call it soda. YAY MIDWEST

I would have, but when making, I didn't know people used a brand as a reference to every soft drink product :s When I made this, Coke = Coca Cola. I've never, ever heard someone mention "down South, they call everything Coke" until I made this topic lol

Sammi
April 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I call it soda most of the time, rarely pop, never coke.

You can tell I'm not native to the county I live in, it's mostly called pop down here. XD; However, where my mom grew up, it's apparently soda... very interesting. Must've gotten it from her... either that or the military calls it soda. *shrugs*

Wings Don't Cry
April 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Down here in Auckland, New Zealand we call it fizzy drinks and it's not that hard to figure out why.

reyzn
April 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'm from Canada and we say "pop" we're I'm from.
My cousin's down in the states say "soda".

Pokedude34
April 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I always called it Soda ;o

Forever
April 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I don't think I say any of them. I just say "drink" :(

Jordan
April 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Having lived in the Bible Belt for a long time (in heart of Texas, actually), I'm accustomed to saying soda. Everyone calling every kind of soda "coke" has never really occurred to me, or perhaps I wasn't really observant of that. I do notice that my fellow Ontarians say pop, though, but I don't feel like learning to make it a habit for myself. :[

Conan Edogawa
April 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM
You forgot Tonic. I say soda, that's just the way I grew up hearing it, and I think it sounds the best.

thedestinedblade
April 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I lived in California and Florida and people have always called it Soda.

Saryka
April 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Pop! I'm Canadian. We Canadians say "pop." If anyone said "soda" around here, oh my god, they would get the weirdest looks. XD