View Full Version : dial up or highspeed internet?

April 4th, 2010, 7:42 AM
do you have dial up or high speed internet? I have dial up it sucks.(its the worst thing ever)

April 4th, 2010, 7:45 AM
highspeed :D really awesome
10MB up/down :D

Captain Hobo.
April 4th, 2010, 7:48 AM
I have have high speed internet and I love it. I used to have dial up and it was the worst.

April 4th, 2010, 8:00 AM
highspeed! really love it, although it's sometimes slow, at least it's better than dial - up, heck I still remember the good 'ol noise it makes while connecting.

April 4th, 2010, 8:09 AM
highspeed! really love it, although it's sometimes slow, at least it's better than dial - up, heck I still remember the good 'ol noise it makes while connecting.
I hate that noise it sounds like all life is dying from the earth.

April 4th, 2010, 8:15 AM
I hate that noise it sounds like all life is dying from the earth.
lol yeah. everyone's ears will bleed to death! hahaha

April 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I've seriously never had dialup. xD

April 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Highspeed. When I had dialup I used to bring a book with me to the computer to read while I was waiting for online games to load. xD

April 4th, 2010, 1:23 PM
High speed<3

Although I was just mentioning to someone how I like the sounds of dial up. I guess it just brings back memories from when I had it.

Harley Quinn
April 4th, 2010, 2:40 PM
Unlimited broadband, yay. I used to have dial-up a few years ago, I hated it so much.

April 4th, 2010, 7:30 PM
I have highspeed interwebz.

Even though it ain't sticking to its name, it's better than that crappy piece o' crap dial-up.

April 4th, 2010, 7:38 PM
I haven't had dial-up for nearly six years. My family upgraded when I got my first computer back in late summer of 2004.

It was quite a pain, but it's a lot harder to get addicted to the internet when it's taking up your phone line and keeps on getting disconnected, so there is some good to it.

April 4th, 2010, 7:38 PM
I don't think I've had a dialup connection since I was in middle school. o_0;

Highspeed FTW!!

April 4th, 2010, 7:46 PM
High speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

People still have dial-up? o _o

Mario The World Champion
April 4th, 2010, 7:53 PM
I have dial-up. It's all I can afford. Broadband is still way to expensive for me to get. *sobs*

April 4th, 2010, 9:14 PM
I've got Dial up, but anyway, in my area, Highspeed internet has a limit with the amount of gigabytes (I think its gigabytes, or is it megabytes? >.<) you can use, while my dial up is unlimited. :D

Take that Highspeed internet! 8D -slapped-

April 5th, 2010, 12:42 AM
What is this "Dial-up" you speak of?

April 5th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have Highspeed Internet, I really hate Dial - up it is such a slow-poke, sheesh. I mean, come on! But that is all some people can afford. At least you have internet correct, no? Some people don't even HAVE internet so we can't really complain can we.

April 5th, 2010, 1:04 AM
I have anything faster than a Dial-up. The one I have is a wireless broadband, and that falls in the high speed category.

I remember having Dial-up back in 2000. It was sooo slow... At least I'm satisfied with what I have now, but dial up never satisfied me and only left me with annoyance and pain.
Dial-up also doesn't let you use a lot of services and a lot of features that broadband high speed internet lets you use, so it's sad to me if some people are still forced to use Dial-up in order to have internet connection, specially for the costs.
I advice everyone to upgrade to the high speed broadband or better if they can afford it with ease, since that would make the whole internet a little bit better.

April 5th, 2010, 1:07 AM
Neither; although I do have broadband.

April 5th, 2010, 1:28 AM
Neither; although I do have broadband.
Isn't broadband just another way of saying high speed or am i just stupid?
Maybe both.

April 5th, 2010, 3:02 AM
Broadband generally offers speeds higher than 50kbps, which is an average for any dial-up connection, I had a lot of trouble loading many pages when I had dial-up around...six years ago.

Now I have broadband that offers up to 20Mb, though I'll soon be converting to a connection that offers up to 24Mb.

April 5th, 2010, 3:11 AM
I have dial-up. I've tried eight types of different broadband packages and not a single one would work at my house. I live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by fields and massive hills that block every type of satellite. D:

April 5th, 2010, 3:17 AM
high speed, cause curtis liked crewing through wires and he'd kill our internet.

April 5th, 2010, 4:48 AM
ADSL, for now.. downspeed is limited at 1,5Mb/s -> means ~180KB/s max (if noone else is on the internet)... Upspeed is at only 384Kb/s -> 48KB/s...

Hoping to get 20Mb/3Mb soon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 5th, 2010, 7:03 AM
High speed on campus, absolutely no internet at all at home. Hence, I prefer to be on campus.

April 5th, 2010, 7:08 AM
High speed. Anything else is extremely frustrating. :/

April 5th, 2010, 7:17 AM

100MBPS In/Out

Noah Ridgewood
April 5th, 2010, 8:01 AM
Despite being a poll, this thread seems more appropriate in the Computers & Technology forum considering the topic. Other Voting Polls is a forum for polls that don't fit in any other forum in the community.

Bianca Paragon
April 5th, 2010, 8:12 AM
ADSL2+ Unlimited on a 24Mbit potential. Sync @ 22Mbit, regularly pull 2MB/s from good sources. It's a good time to be alive ♥

April 5th, 2010, 8:20 AM
Verizon markets it as "high-speed," but in reality I find myself lusting after faster connections. My current speed is approximately 1 Mbps downstream, 384 Kbps upstream, though it frequently doesn't go faster than 200 Kbps downstream.

Noah Ridgewood
April 5th, 2010, 9:18 AM
Verizon markets it as "high-speed," but in reality I find myself lusting after faster connections. My current speed is approximately 1 Mbps downstream, 384 Kbps upstream, though it frequently doesn't go faster than 200 Kbps downstream.
I agree completely. I went from a high speed Comcast connection to a Verizon broadband high speed connection. Granted Comcast was through cable and not through broadband, I find that Verizon is falsely marketing it's services a great deal considering they state that their broadband connection is the fastest around as well, but it takes so long whenever I'm looking to get important things done and out of the way.

Maybe I'm being biased. I never really liked Verizon; no offense to anyone who does. Their services have been very poor in my experience with them compared to other companies; like AT&T and Comcast. I guess there's a reason they offer their services at such a cheap price.

April 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I run highspeed but I do remember having dial-up. Fortunately nobody in our house was very social so it was never an issue to cut off the phone line.

April 5th, 2010, 2:01 PM
Isn't broadband just another way of saying high speed or am i just stupid?
Maybe both.

"i just stupid" Indeed, you hit the nail on the head, there.

Linguistically, where I live, the two terms are not synonymous.

April 5th, 2010, 6:26 PM
I have DSL. I wouldn't call that high speed really, but it's better than dial up. I used to have dial up up until 2008. I had had it for 5 solid years before that... so, I'm happy with DSL. Some day, it would be nice to have cable.

April 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I have free dial-up access, but obviously I rarely use it. However, there are times when my ISP decides I need to be without internet just before a project deadline or something, and the dial-up comes in handy.

Dial-up is much better when you browse with images disabled. It'd be nice if the imglikeopera Firefox extension got updated, it's extremely useful on dial-up connections.

Team Fail
April 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Dialup? Never used it. Don't ever plan to. At my place, we have Telus High Speed internet, but my Grsndparents, well, that's another story. My Grandpa is always b'n and complaining that it is so slow. He once said that he could wait an entire afternoon working out in the field, and when he got back, the video he was trying to watch still wasn't finished loading. He said it was also very frustrating. I feel sorry for him.

April 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
we've had dial up for as long as i could remember.. my mother always said that it costed too much or some garbage like that to get high speed. though recently i've been paying for the internet, so because of that i just got highspeed. it makes me a bit upset when she uses the wireless highspeed though instead of her dial up internet, makes me lag in my games lol!! though not too long ago she realised that it wasnt fair to be using something i paid for alone so now she helps me out by paying half.

I tell you, it is nice not having to hear that stupid annoying connection sound and waiting forever just for site to load. i know how people feel when they have dial up.

Aero Blitz
April 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have high-speed, I had dial-up for a while, it was horrible.

April 11th, 2010, 1:04 PM
high speed, i'd go crazy if i had dial up..
the sound annoyed me so much when i use to have it... darn AOL!

April 11th, 2010, 1:14 PM
I went from Dial up to DSL to Cox High speed.
My computer is way old, has small RAM and HD, so it really isn't all fast.

The download speeds I get are great, though it doesn't matter; my computer is so bad, it resets while watching youtube videos.
I'm lucky if I can make it through a whole 5 minute video without my computer resetting itself.

April 11th, 2010, 2:12 PM
We had AOL for the longest time. Then when I started BAWWWWWing about it, my mom finally switched & got us Verizon High Speed. AOL sucks compared to Verizon.

Heart's Soul
April 11th, 2010, 2:24 PM
Had dial-up until I was 10. I never used the Internet then, but my dad still downloaded grand amounts of information. We have High-speed (goes up to 120MBit down and 11MBit up) and we got a good 1.37 share ratio and about 1.6TB of info from one site.

April 11th, 2010, 2:45 PM
I have the lowest available speed Verizon DSL. I really want to upgrade to the 3Mbps plan in the near future, but at least what I have now is better than dialup. I dealt with that until my second year of college - I could never go back now.

April 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
dial up still exists? I am sorry.

April 25th, 2010, 9:41 AM
We had dial-up until 2 years ago. Oh, the pain I felt whever I read that my connection whas 4.8Kb/s... (and yes, you read that right. 4.8Kb/s was sometimes the best connection I could get)

My parents signed up for 3G highspeed from Alltel, and I'm thoroughly happy with it. Since we live right near a Verizon tower, and since the companies merged, we consistantly get a 100% rev. A connection.

April 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I had dial-up a few years back.

We finally convinced Bell to drop the 450$ CAN charge they laid against us because they were negligent towards a virus in their system that they were fully aware of. This virus, unfortunately, made many, many long-distance calls to Tahiti on our dial-up line.

Dial-up = bad. and slow. and just wrong. No one should be tortured with dial-up >:|

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't be able to deal with dial up internet any more, haven't had it for many years.

I have highspeed, 10mb download.

Flare Riqueza
April 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I got Broadband when I got my laptop, which was when I re-joing PC, in August.

Honestly, Dial-Up sucks, particularly when your family does hundreds of phone calls per day.

Although, Broadband is still naff if you use IE, with all it's toolbars, etc. such as AVG Antivirus.

The ultimate combination is, obviously: Highspeed + Google Chrome + Wi-fi, or "Superior Connection + Superior Browser + Superior Mobility", as I like to call it. And now I find myself being offered money by google to continue promoting them.....:P

Lucy Lu
April 25th, 2010, 4:41 PM
I have high speed internet (cable/broadband). I used to have dial-up. That was a piece of junk! I hated it so much! I couldn't watch videos, listen to music from the website, view high quality pictures, and I get cut off after four hours online. And I get cut off when I get a phone call....it was SO ANNOYING!

As soon I got full-time from my job the first thing I got was high speed internet. And I been a happy camper ever since. <3 I am thinking about getting faster high speed though. I have about 100Mbps going on now. And I heard there are higher speeds than this, but it is sure better than dumb dial-up.

Dial-up should not exist anymore. Everyone should have high speed! Make it affordable cable companies! >:(

April 28th, 2010, 3:07 PM
I had dialup for the longest time. I got to level 80 on World of Warcraft with it though. Too bad there isn't an achievement for that. :P

Sansa Stark
April 28th, 2010, 3:15 PM
I live in a very rural area, so internet in general is either Dial Up or Satellite. :/
We had dial up until like 2007, and now we have "highspeed" through Wildblue >>;
It's the worst ISP ever ;_;

The bandwidth limits are ridics. ):

Fxcking Tatertots
April 28th, 2010, 3:35 PM
I have high-speed. Dial-up sounds from the AOL-era scared me. I thought that the sounds from the AOL "after dialing" sound were aliens contacting Earth. XD

April 28th, 2010, 4:52 PM
Ugh, going on PC with dial-up is a pain. I'm was at my friends house earlier, and she has dial up -.-
AOL sucks so bad....

I love my RoadRunner high speed internet <3

May 1st, 2010, 9:52 PM
I have high-speed. I remember when we had dial-up.. it was horrible. We either could browse the net because my sister was blabbing away on the phone... or we couldn't use the phone because she was "checking" her myspace.