PDA

View Full Version : Let's make new memories

Forever
April 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Basically, if you had the power to choose between losing the memories you had of a person or the person themselves (which means them dying), what would you choose and why? Also, consider that you aren't so close to the person anymore... so what would you decide to do?

I'd rather lose the memories, since I could probably become friends with them again eventually, yet with them dying, they'd be gone forever.

Captain Hobo.
April 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I would lose the memories because you can just make new ones.

Signomi
April 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM
...as horrible as it may sound, I would rather choose to keep my memories I had of that person.

Just because memories can be forgotten at the click of a finger doesn't rule out the fact that events have actually happened for them to exist. To forget about things is to try and escape a time in your life where they made the most impact, as if they never happened. That in itself...is a cowardly thing to do.

Furthermore, memories aren't just recollections on a silver platter, they're derived out of experiences you may have had with that person, a close bond that, although may not be as formidable in the future, at the time would have held significance to not only the person you were fond of, but yourself...experiences help shape your very being, your very understanding of yourself.

If you wipe away memories of a past time, you'll find that you'll lose a sentiment of understanding about your very being. You'll try to figure out certain aspects of yourself and even the nature of other people that you can't quite put your finger on, hell, you can't. Because you've lost your memory of a time where you once understood that crucial part.

To add to that point, it is impossible to make new memories with the very same person without a nagging feeling that there are certain things you should and shouldn't do, certain things you feel you've done but you have no idea what, and that will bother you. It will bother you because you can't figure out exactly where these feelings have come from. Hell, you may have forgotten memories, but somewhere in your subconscious, you haven't, and you would not have the power to do so in any respect. It will derail you from enjoying your time with that person, and it will keep you from having a close bond with them once more.

I think your hypothetical scenarios are so dubious and rather ridiculous, Nica, especially this one. What kind of circumstance would occur that would lead to a gamble between the loss of one's life and a loss of memory? It doesn't make any sense and has no real foundation.

Regardless of anything I've said above, I wouldn't prefer anybody to lose their life. Their life on the line gives me all the reason to forget everything so they carry on living. It may be a matter of life and death on their end, but for my memories and to remember it certainly isn't. I would just prefer not to forget, to actually keep my recollections of all I've experienced with people, especially those I've been close to at some point in my life. You feel a lot more wholesome that way.

loliwin
April 7th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Out of all the polls we have, I find this most strange of them all. :D I'd lose the memories just because I could get them back again lol

>Feelings<
April 7th, 2010, 03:00 AM
If I had to choose, then I would choose to... Keep the memories.
I hope I don't sound cruel and selfish, but there are a lot of reasons.

If I lost the memories, the chances are slim to become friends again, and memories made what that person was to me in the first place.

When I experience something good that doesn't have life, I cherish the memory of the experience.
I would do that to the person too, and this will seem wrong to most people unless they think out of the box.

Edit: It seems Signomi has already said a lot of what I would agree with, though not all. There's your reason.
I always thought and still think that amnesia at great levels is one of the most horrible thing that can happen to a person.

BHwolfgang
April 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
It's not that easy regaining the memories that was lost when that person is dead.

I would keep my memories of the times I had with that person, whether of not it was bittersweet or enjoyable.

Mattysaurus
April 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Signomi, all I can say is "Wow".
You make an awesome point.

Before I read Siggy's post, I was going to choose losing the memories themselves to make new ones, but after reading that brilliant post, I decided I would only lose the person if we had a falling out or she/he is on her/his deathbed.
I wouldn't want the person I had those memories with to just vanish, I would much rather keep the memories and the person if I could.

If that makes any sense. ;/

Melody
April 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'll have to agree with Signomi on this. I know from experience, losing memories really sucks. I recently lost some due to a head injury sustained in a vehicle accident. It really does bug me, that some of my memories are inaccessible or corrupted due to the damage from the concussion I sustained. Although usually, the inaccessibility is usually temporary and the corruption can be repaired in most cases, it still really isn't fun.

While I probably wouldn't condemn a person to death to keep my own memories, I'd much rather avoid the situation as a whole, because memories are indeed valuable, they constitute the very fabric of who you are as a person. To erase any part of that, is wrong to me, although if it is to preserve life, it is probably not as bad.