PDA

View Full Version : The BEST Part of Hacking (NOT THE SKILLS)

Zeffy
April 9th, 2010, 05:33 AM
The best part of hacking is when you achieve something. Something that you haven't done yet before, or something you just figured out that worked. For example, take a look at the spoiler.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the best part of hacking is your finished product. I mean, you just finished a BIG script and tests it out and it works. You go "OMG! MY BIG SCRIPT WORKED! I'M SO AWESOME!" You can't explain the feeling you get when you succeed, its like you won a golden trophy. Do you guys agree?

But this guy said:

The best part of hacking is having fun. Wether you're scripting or mapping, if you don't have fun, it takes the life out of it.
That's just my opinion though.

Then this guy appealed with:

The best part about hacking is realizing that you've made something whole, something new, something that's better than it was before. And, better yet, you've influenced other people, whether you like it or not. I never understood how widespread the hacks here actually become until recently.. let me tell you, plenty of people know about them. And it's your hack that they're playing, that they're enjoying.
You can look back on this in twenty years and wonder what the hell you were doing on a Pokemon forum for so long, but you'll never forget the work, the heart, that you put into your hack. You'll remember these days forever.

And then HackMew said:

I don't really agree. The best part of hacking is... hacking. That is, doing research and figuring stuff out: "How would I go fixing the roaming legendaries IVs glitch?"

NarutoActor
April 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
No, for me the best part about hacking is figuring things out. Also if I fix a problem I have been having that makes my day.

Magic
April 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I agree with both of you, working out how to change something or what something does and then testing it in game to see it's right feels great :)

The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
April 9th, 2010, 10:39 AM
As a mapper and a tile spriter/inserter, my favourite part of the job is when I'm spriting tile for a new tileset, or when I'm making the map.

giradialkia
April 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with the first three, (not so much Ray, simply because spriting can be tedious), but that leads onto my joy- when I see my own graphics in-game, sprites, tiles or otherwise. Seeing better graphics in your hack is nice, seeing your own graphics in your hack is even sweeter.
And, though I've never known the feeling, I'd imagine finishing off a hack- completely- would feel pretty cool too.

Binary
April 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
The best part of hacking is having fun. Wether you're scripting or mapping, if you don't have fun, it takes the life out of it.
That's just my opinion though.

Ninja Caterpie
April 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
imo, it's just getting a map done, or part of a map done, or just a beautiful mountain in the map done.

Shiny Quagsire
April 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
For me it's when people see what you've made and say: "WOW! That's amazing!"

JustinHolmes
April 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think the best is when you finish it, or when you figure out how to do something that you couldn't before.

Darthatron
April 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
It used to be writing an awesome script, but now I think that it's writing an ASM routine and getting it work, or editing one already there.

Zeffy
April 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I agree with most of you, but achieving something is really the best part for me. I've rephrased the first post, btw.

Vrai
April 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
The best part about hacking is realizing that you've made something whole, something new, something that's better than it was before. And, better yet, you've influenced other people, whether you like it or not. I never understood how widespread the hacks here actually become until recently.. let me tell you, plenty of people know about them. And it's your hack that they're playing, that they're enjoying.

You can look back on this in twenty years and wonder what the hell you were doing on a Pokemon forum for so long, but you'll never forget the work, the heart, that you put into your hack. You'll remember these days forever.

Zeffy
April 10th, 2010, 06:52 AM

In the old days, like around 2004 or something like that, I remember that ROM Hacking was all about HEX Editing. Every new discovery was praised, like how to change find a free offset via a HEX Editor. I liked those days. (I didn't joined around that time, but I know. I looked at the archive forum. (b'')b :D)

HackMew
April 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I don't really agree. The best part of hacking is... hacking. That is, doing research and figuring stuff out: "How would I go fixing the roaming legendaries IVs glitch?"

Zeffy
April 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM

I agree. (As I always do XD)

I've edited the first post with the most appealing reasons that people post in here, so that you can see it easier.

colcolstyles
April 10th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Sure, figuring out how things work is fun and all but until I actually change something, I don't really enjoy it. Locating a piece of code or some image can be frustrating and when I find it, I definitely feel good about myself but when I change it, that's when the real rush of euphoria hits me. So I'm going to have to side with the people who say that looking back on your finished project and realizing that you made it is the best part of hacking.

Blaziquaza
April 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The best part of hacking? Well.................................................... It's simple. What feels best.

Ricochet Orange
April 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
As a mapper and a tile spriter/inserter, my favourite part of the job is when I'm spriting tile for a new tileset, or when I'm making the map.
This.

But I can't stand other things though. I have tried hacking/game creation, but the only thing I like is mapping.

HackMew
April 13th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Sure, figuring out how things work is fun and all but until I actually change something, I don't really enjoy it. Locating a piece of code or some image can be frustrating and when I find it, I definitely feel good about myself but when I change it, that's when the real rush of euphoria hits me. So I'm going to have to side with the people who say that looking back on your finished project and realizing that you made it is the best part of hacking.

Research can indeed be frustrating, but there's no way round. After research (aka hacking) though, there's the editing phase: "Yay, it works!" I agree that the final result is probably what we're most proud of, but changing a "random" byte from 0x08 to 0x00 is worth nothing without a solid knowledge base behind it. On the other hand, research without editing is also a waste, because you're not putting into practice what you learned so far.

Hackers are like archaeologists: they need to investigate before they can dig into the hot stuff.

Chaos Rush
April 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
The best part of hacking is putting my hack onto my AceKard and then playing it on my DS as if it was any GBA game :P.

mewthree9000
April 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Well for me, It used to be doing something that nobody has ever done before. Kind of still is, make something fun and new! When I accomplish that I feel the best.

Potatomuffin
April 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
As a DPP/HGSS hacker, I feel exhilarated when I accomplish something totally new and pave the way for others. I love it when after an hour of researching/programing/editing i create something and i start No$gba and it WORKS! Thats what i really love, when my hack Works!(in DPP/HGSS hacking, even a single hex numeral in the wrong place can be potentially fatal and make the checksum incorrect)

The Original Darkwiz787
May 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
For me, it's doing something original. It's not following a guide word-byword or using someone elses tiles. It's creating a finished hack that when people look at it they say instantly know who made it.

It's those sleepless nights that you think and write code and maybe spend hours in paint trying to get the perfect sprite and it fails and then you go back and you re-write it and try again.

It's when you put days of your life into some tiny detail that separates you from the rest.