PDA

View Full Version : 2010 U.S. Midterm Elections

FreakyLocz14
April 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Discuss any congressional or gubernatorial candidates running in your district or state.

In my state running for Senate on the Republican side is probably Carly Firorina and Tom Campbell (my vote) and the Democratic incumbent Dianne Feinstein.

For Governor the GOP has Meg Whitman and Steve Poizner (undecided but one of them) vs. most likely former Governor Jerry Brown on the Democratic side. Incumbent Arnold Schwarzenegger is term-limited and has decided not to run for Senate or the House.

Netto Azure
April 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
LOL you posted this before me. XD

Voting straight Democratic Party line in my first vote this November. Just because a Green vote will split the vote in my 36th Blue Dog Democratic District of California.

My California Vote:

Gubernatorial Race: Jerry Brown
Senatorial Race: Barbara Boxer
Representative: Jane Harman

Well, it's just for that you guys will know my position on major issues.

Morkula
April 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
But...Feinstein isn't running for re-election in Cali this year, Boxer is. You guys might want to learn the candidates before making voting decisions.

And we don't really have any "major" elections this year, just the normal biennial House elections. And the choices in my area are looking to be either the conservative Democrat incumbent who voted against HCR or an extreme right-wing Republican. Not much of a choice there.

Netto Azure
April 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Yes I know that. But I thought I got my Senatorial candidate wrong when he said it was Diane Feinstein. :/ Fixed it.

Thanks for (re)correcting me, Mork.

Anyways these Propositions for California are mehish.

Voting Yes on the Legalization for Marijuana and the Water Bonds

And No on the STUPID Proposition 16 REQUIRING a SUPER Majority of 2/3 vote on EACH new public utility proposal. >___> (Although it is a June Ballot so I can't)

Also although it will probably be Jane Harman that will be the candidate for the Democrats in November, I wished I could have cast a vote for Marcy Winograd in the Democratic Primaries this June. But alas my BDay is in September.

And Mork, sadly it turns out that these Mid-Term elections are essential in the Legislative process as Congress needs a majorities (and the Senate through an accident, a Super-Majority) to pass laws as the HCR debate has shown.

FreakyLocz14
April 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
<p>I wouldn't vote for either Feinstein or Boxer due to their positions with the bailouts, stimulus, and the HCR among other things.

As for Propositions NO on legalizing marijuana and YES for Water Bonds. After some research I will probably lean towards Poizner. Whitman is too pro-abortion for my taste. I can't vote in the Democratic Primaries so no decision there. Tom Campbell for Senate. As for the House I won't vote for Mike Honda again as I did in 2008 due to the HCR vote.

@Netto
Since I'm pretty undecided I'll make your vote for Prop 16 in your place.I think people should be able to vote on these issues but not a 2/3 supermajority, simple majority would be enough. Requiring such a high standard would cripple energy reform.</p>

Morkula
April 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
And Mork, sadly it turns out that these Mid-Term elections are essential in the Legislative process as Congress needs a majorities (and the Senate through an accident, a Super-Majority) to pass laws as the HCR debate has shown.

I meant here in my state. We elected a governor in 2009 (who's already caused Virginia enough embarrassment in less than three months), and Senators Webb and Warner don't come up for re-election until 2012 and 2014, respectively. So in VA all we really have are House elections. But yes, the midterm elections are a huge deal nationwide.

I think Republicans will pick up some seats in the Senate and House, but I don't think it'll be a total sweep like they're predicting. By the time November rolls around, people will really be starting to see the benefits of HCR and other congressional legislation come into effect, and hopefully the economy will show some more visible improvement (it's improved a little bit in the past few months, but not enough to be really noticeable). That should alleviate some of the frustration with the current Congress and Obama and should help gain some Democratic votes.

Even then, just the way the Republicans are acting lately has got to be turnoff for some people. The constant slandering, temper tantrums, filibustering, and lack of cooperation or any meaningful alternatives is getting old, and I'd have to question the sanity of the American people if they bring a Republican majority into Congress. They're holding up everything from unemployment benefits to economic recovery, and it's all because they're being sore losers over HCR.

Netto Azure
April 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
@Netto
Since I'm pretty undecided I'll make your vote for Prop 16 in your place.I think people should be able to vote on these issues but not a 2/3 supermajority, simple majority would be enough. Requiring such a high standard would cripple energy reform.

Thank you very much. I'm glad one can agree at issues. :O
Seriosuly, I MIGHT have supported it if not for the small fine print in the ads. >__>

Also Prop 14's Open Primaries and Prop 15's Public Campaign fund reforms are a yes for me, but that's something that is a bit divisive.

http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_2010_ballot_propositions

I meant here in my state. We elected a governor in 2009 (who's already caused Virginia enough embarrassment in less than three months), and Senators Webb and Warner don't come up for re-election until 2012 and 2014, respectively. So in VA all we really have are House elections. But yes, the midterm elections are a huge deal nationwide.

I think Republicans will pick up some seats in the Senate and House, but I don't think it'll be a total sweep like they're predicting. By the time November rolls around, people will really be starting to see the benefits of HCR and other congressional legislation come into effect, and hopefully the economy will show some more visible improvement (it's improved a little bit in the past few months, but not enough to be really noticeable). That should alleviate some of the frustration with the current Congress and Obama and should help gain some Democratic votes.

Even then, just the way the Republicans are acting lately has got to be turnoff for some people. The constant slandering, temper tantrums, filibustering, and lack of cooperation or any meaningful alternatives is getting old, and I'd have to question the sanity of the American people if they bring a Republican majority into Congress. They're holding up everything from unemployment benefits to economic recovery, and it's all because they're being sore losers over HCR.

True enough, Back in the 2006 Mid-Terms I was willing to support the Republicans when they had the stomach to try immigration reform, but now...it's all pandering to the base. :/

NarutoActor
April 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM
There are no elections in either new york, or new jersey. But in new jersy the tee party is trying to force one of the congresses man out, because he voted for the health care bill. If they are successful in court, I will sign the petition. Also in most midterm elections, the democrats are going to have a hard time. <3

Esper
April 12th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'll probably be voting Democratic all across even though I'm registered as a Green. I really hate that I have to vote against people I don't want in office rather than for the people I do want.

I'm for legalizing marijuana and against the 2/3 necessity for utilities - that's just silly. I haven't looked into all the ballots yet so I can't say what my opinions on them are.

Yamikarasu
April 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Argh, elections again?

At least these will be the last ones that I won't be allowed to vote in. If I still have any faith in politics or even a desire to participate, I'll probably vote mostly democratic.

.Gamer
April 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have to go vote tomorrow, I don't even know who is running, lol. I'll probably just vote for the guy with the coolest name.

FreakyLocz14
April 13th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I have to go vote tomorrow, I don't even know who is running, lol. I'll probably just vote for the guy with the coolest name.

In those instances I vote the Republican candidate unless I know they are a RINO and the Dem candidate a bit to the right of Mussolini.