PDA

View Full Version : Formspring controversy

Reina
April 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
There's been a lot of it lately, huh?

With the formspring-related suicide of Alexis Pilkington on March 22nd, and the March 12th rumor of formspring revealing anonymous users, formspring has got a lot of controversy. My question here is what PC members think about the site and the ridiculous amount of controversy and hatred / harassment on it.

I have one, and I use it, and I personally haven't gotten any hate messages, its usually just my friends and I sending inside jokes back and forth to eachother, but I've seen some nasty stuff said to my friends. It's fun for a time, until people abuse it, I think... I wouldn't go as far to organize a huge boycott of it, but I think Facebook & other social networking sites were a bit better without it. So PC, what do you guys think?

otakulily
April 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Not much in term of hate messages - pretty much all I get are troll messages. And yes. People do abuse it, mostly due to the anonymous factor. People don't even use it to ask questions. They just post random crap. But I like random crap. I honestly don't mind. And the way the questions are phrased, I can usually tell who the anonymous users are since everyone who posts on my formspring are people I know from various forums. So I'm not too bothered by it.

It's a great idea. It's just very poorly executed. If people want to ask serious questions, then fine. If people want to use it to anonymously post hate mail then that's a bit of a problem. But remember, if you're seeing "nasty stuff" on other people's formspring pages, that means that the user chose to respond to that question/statement. If the user gets hate mail and chooses to expose it to the entire world, that is their choice. People are not obligated to respond to every single post on formspring. They can choose to ignore it. That doesn't change the fact that the posts are read. But if things get really bad, you can block anonymous messages. But it's nothing new, really. It's the internet. It's full of hate. And it's not like random people are choosing to hate you. It's most likely someone you know and they probably have their reasons for disliking other people. I'm sure everyone has someone they don't like and they all deal with it in different ways. Some people choose to vent their anger through the internet. I'm not saying it's a good thing, or even an "okay" thing. But the world is not ideal. Just be grateful the people who hate your friends don't choose to stab them of beat them up or something. No need to boycott formspring. Or even change it. It's not the most secure thing. But it's secure enough to also allow for some fun.

Stairmaster
April 12th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I think it is pretty stupid how anonymous everything is on there. Nearly everyone on there has a Twitter so they should just make people sign in to Twitter to use Formspring. Of course, that probably wouldn't stop everyone, but would probably help alleviate things.

Saltare.
April 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't even know what it is...

But all my friends seem to have one.

EmeraldSerenade
April 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
i have it, and its just my friends asking me retarted, spammy questions xD

total waste of time IMO.

Anxiety.
April 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Oh god. Don't get me started.

I have one, all my friends have one, and sadly, so do all the people I don't like. So they spam us (Most recent spam: Taking the piss out of my sister and her girlfriend because the split up. Also, usually it is unprovoked, but yeah, we have provoked them sometimes) and at times it can get pretty bad. They made one of my friends cry indirectly because they were calling her second best to her girlfriend. But yes! I wont get into a rant about how much I hate them. Formspring does get abused, and trolling and spam is a constant thing for some. But whatever, man, you make one and you have to accept that this will happen.

Timbjerr
April 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Anyone care to enlighten old farts like me that have no idea what Formspring is? XD

From what I can gather from context in this thread, it's like twitter, but with the option to post anonymously...and it's primary purpose is asking silly questions...Where does controversy come in and how does this cause a girl to kill herself? o_0

*prepares to post an "Internet - Serious Business" image macro*

Eeohnex
April 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Some of my friends have it, I find it hilarious and stupid to be honest. It's just like a free anonymous online bullying site, most of my friends get the most random crap ever, and I usually just spam them with jokes. But I have seem other peoples Formspring and they get pretty harsh comments, I think it's just stupid to have one, specially the ones who really care what other people think, which can lead to suicide and low self-stem.

That's the reason why I don't have one.

TheUltimateSacrifice
April 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM
What on earth are you talking about? People have committed suicide from the hate they got on the Internet? Lulz. Sounds like the site for me...

Aureol
April 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Anyone care to enlighten old farts like me that have no idea what Formspring is? XD

From what I can gather from context in this thread, it's like twitter, but with the option to post anonymously...and it's primary purpose is asking silly questions...Where does controversy come in and how does this cause a girl to kill herself? o_0

*prepares to post an "Internet - Serious Business" image macro*

Apparently, I'm not the only one to have no clue what Formspring is... haha. This does not sound like a place I want to go though.

Illekn
April 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
My thoughts? They have an option in which you can opt out of anonymous questions, so people are forced to ask with a registered name. Something for people who dislike anonymous things to take them away, and for those that do like them to keep them.

Formspring is website where you set up a page, and people ask you question, or post random drabble.

Niprop
April 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Never heard of it, but sounds like the 4chan equivalent to Twitter.

Not for the faint of heart, be prepared to get taunted, teased, threatened, trolled, and otherwise spat on like crazy. It's basically a train-wreck in a box, allowing you to view the worst humanity has to offer from a click of the mouse. Delightful, isn't it?

The Cynic
April 13th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I've never even heard of it before. No-one I know uses it. Then again I have no friends. *sobs*

jerkyjoe
April 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I kept getting hate messages from a couple people in the Alexz Johnson community that hate me and my fan site... They hate the site because Alexz and her team support the site and not their's. Anyways, I just reported them for spam and the messages stopped...

It's easy to hit SPAM and block their IP.

EDIT: Oh and I don't know anyone who has me on their hit list at school to bug me with mean messages either, so I'm in the clear.

The Fame Monster
April 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
my friends have one and i like to send them weird messeges but nothing mean. id never get one because people like to target me.

formspring works great in theory but has many flaws when practiced.

Mattysaurus
April 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have one and all I'm getting are one saying; 'You're cute, etc.'

I want criticism.

But I don't really care about the controversy.

Eliminator Jr.
April 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
If people are able to be anonymous, put simply it's only a matter of time before somebody abuses it. I don't really care about Formspring or Twitter, but if people want to use it, that's the risk they take. If you can't handle abuse, don't make an account. It's as simple as that.

Fur Elise
April 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have one, and personally my friends spam it with random stuff. No hateful emssages though. I get random questions are some serious one's.

Reginaldvonburger
April 21st, 2010, 02:49 AM
I just send my friends pick-up lines.

Like "I am a magical being. Take off your bra" and some more inappropriate ones I doubt I can post here :P

Throat
April 21st, 2010, 05:01 AM
I know what it is, used for a short period of time and don't understand the problem related to it.

The Sly Fox
April 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
I know of it because some of my friends have one. And I think it's really pointless and dumb. I have seen people write hate comments and stupid things on my friend's pages. I don't see the point in formspring.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Formspring is the next Twitter. Except that it's more of a troll-bait, and even more useless. I prefer Facebook over such trashy websites.

BTW, the serious business thing and suicide, it's not amusing nor witty. There's a difference between an argument and someone killing themselves.

INB4 acting someone acting like a cold arsehole and saying "LAWL it's their fault for letting that get to them". Really, some people have it real hard. Have some respect, will ya?

Lt_Nite
April 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I think it's stupid I made one and deleted it, no point to it. It's made for anonymous questions then people complain when people ask them anonymous questions, at least where I live. It's just an invitation for haters and trolls. I THINK it should make you have to reveal yourself to stop all the harassment. I didn't know about that formspring suicide either, so sad.

xJordan360
April 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I find the constant trollage amusing. I have a formspring, and apparently I'm the most hated person in the history of evar.

Formspring is the next Twitter. Except that it's more of a troll-bait, and even more useless. I prefer Facebook over such trashy websites.

BTW, the serious business thing and suicide, it's not amusing nor witty. There's a difference between an argument and someone killing themselves.

INB4 acting someone acting like a cold arsehole and saying "LAWL it's their fault for letting that get to them". Really, some people have it real hard. Have some respect, will ya?

Welcome to the internetz, you must be new here.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 22nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
I find the constant trollage amusing. I have a formspring, and apparently I'm the most hated person in the history of evar.

Welcome to the internetz, you must be new here.

No, I'm just mature. GB2 /b/.

xJordan360
April 22nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
No, I'm just mature. GB2 /b/.

Maturity=/=denying that people will be cruel on the internet

Fxcking Tatertots
April 22nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
Maturity=/=denying that people will be cruel on the internet

Of course I know people will be cruel.
Experienced it myself IRL and online. It just adds towards my total misanthropy levels, really.

xJordan360
April 22nd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Of course I know people will be cruel. I just don't play the stupid games trolls do.

Complaining about peoples maturity, or lack thereof as you did doesn't change it, and only provokes trolls. Hence my internet greeting ^_^

Yusshin
April 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
That is "formspring" o-o?

I still don't know what this is D:< Someone enlighten me!

xJordan360
April 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
I still don't know what this is D:< Someone enlighten me!

Formspring is a site where people have the ability to sign up (I don't really know why I explained that part), and get asked anonymous questions. Whosoever visits your profile can ask you a question anonymously (unless the owner of the page opts out of anonymous questions, making it so that only registered usernames with their username visible can ask.) However, often it's used to spam/troll/hatemail people, rather than ask questions.

Yusshin
April 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Oh. Okay.

Thanks for telling me xD I've never seen that site before.

xJordan360
April 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Oh. Okay.

Thanks for telling me xD I've never seen that site before.

It's really quite a waste of time. I don't know why I bother with it still.

Magik?!
April 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I don't really understand the problem with it, it's like the people who commit suicide 'because of myspace' or 'because of facebook'... I'm sorry, but if they're prepared to take their life because of someone being mean to them (and yes, I know just how mean those comments can be), then they would have found a reason at another point in their lives. On Formspring, you can either make people sign in so that you can block the account, or you can block anonymous messages completely... you can also report or delete the questions without replying to them, they have done all they can to help people prevent this bullying. If people don't attempt to stop it, then it's their own fault. The best idea is to only give formspring to your friends - I posted mine on facebook... because guess what... unlike a lot of people (apparently), on my facebook, I don't have anyone who would post anything mean to me :O So far, I've had silly questions, serious questions and one marriage proposal xDDD (the whole anonymous thing made that one awkward) I think Formspring is a good idea and a fun site, they have precautions in place to prevent this kind of thing, if people don't use it, then you can't blame formspring.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
They should ban anonymous posting, and leave it to only those who have an account as a default instead of the other way around.

So it's Formspring's fault.

Yusshin
April 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
These kinds of sites are always gateways to cyber-bullying - Formspring, Facebook, MyYearBook, MySpace, etc. are all openings. The anonymous factor just makes it worse.

'Never did like those kinds of sites.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Imagine that. I just disabled my Facebook account because I was being attacked for not having a social life.
Not dealing with other's dramas or being bullied FTW. :]

EmeraldSerenade
April 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
I recently checked my formspring today, and i had a few flaming questions... I feed off anonymous hate comments :3
Although, it does make me feel a bit insecure at times...

Yep, these sites are prone to cyber-bullying.