PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Philippine General Elections

Netto Azure
April 13th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Well, the Brits and the US aren't the only ones voting this year. My Home Country of the Philippines also has a General (Presidential, Congressional, and Local) Elections.

As for the Presidential Elections, that is mostly a popularity contest as some Developing countries do. And the parties don't necessarily have much difference, most are socially conservative and always on a perpetual War on Poverty. Sad to say graft and corruption is as endemic as the days of the Gilded Age.

My skepticism and apathy aside, I'm going to go ahead and support Noynoy Aquino of the Liberal Party for the Presidency, and the Current Majority Party of Lakas Kampi-CMD for the Legislative and local elections. The current administrations foreign investment and OFW priorities are what is currently keeping the country afloat so yeah.

loliwin
April 15th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I had a picture with Gibo Teodoro when I went to the Philippines (im famous. :) ). So I support him. xD But it looks like hes gonna lose. :(

Netto Azure
May 6th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I had a picture with Gibo Teodoro when I went to the Philippines (im famous. :) ). So I support him. xD But it looks like hes gonna lose. :(

Yeah he's been 4th place in most of the recent polls. But alas that is politics in the Philippines.

Personality and patronage at heart of Philippine polls (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8665428.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47789000/jpg/_47789889_009233215-1.jpg
Thousands of candidates are running for office across the Philippines

What do a world-champion boxer, a deposed president and a woman renowned for her love of shoes have in common?

They are all candidates in the forthcoming Philippine elections - together with at least 50,000 other people.
Presidential elections here only take place every six years, at the same time as the vote for senators, members of congress and posts in local government, so there are more than 17,000 posts to fill.
An observer could easily be mistaken for thinking this country is hosting one large party in the weeks ahead of the 10 May polls.
Banners and posters cover every street corner, annoyingly catchy campaign tunes blare out from passing vehicles and pop stars make guest appearances at rallies up and down the country.

Aquino legacy
But the real celebrities are the candidates themselves. At a rally in the city of Cavite, presidential frontrunner Noynoy Aquino was greeted with near-adulation by the waiting crowds.
"I'm here because I loved his mother," one woman said, referring to the popular former President, Corazon Aquino, who died last year.
"He's bringing new hope to the Philippines," she added, waving a huge yellow "Noynoy" flag.
Another presidential hopeful, Joseph Estrada, also has a well-known political background.
The former film star has been president before, but he was ousted in a popular revolt after just two years in power.
"I want to continue the reforms I started," Mr Estrada told the BBC.
Even the other main candidate, Manny Villar - who does not have such a political pedigree - is feted as one of the richest men in the Philippines.
And it is not just the presidential candidates who have famous names. Imelda Marcos - the 80-year-old wife of former President Ferdinand Marcos - is probably better known for her shoe collection than her political expertise, but she is running for a post in congress in the north of the country.
Down in the south, the international boxing champion Manny Paquaio has also decided to enter the political ring.
Celebrity, influence and family loyalties are at the centre of Philippine politics, where personalities count much more than policies.
Jeez we take celebrity politics to a whole new level. And that's not something to be proud of. :/

Zeffy
May 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I was on the side of Manny Villar and the opposition, until I noticed how much money Villar spent on advertising. Well, now I'm siding with the Liberal party but my president will definitely be Joseph Ejercito Estrada.

Most candidates now use celebrities to promote them, which makes them desperate. They're so desperate they even use poor people to promote them.
No offense to the candidates. :)

yay 900th post^^

Netto Azure
May 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Aquino 'leading in Philippines presidential polls' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8673169.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47817000/jpg/_47817475_009258572-1.jpg
Mr Aquino is the son of a beloved former president

Senator Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino has a sizeable lead over rival Joseph Estrada in the Philippine presidential election, early results indicate.

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Mr Aquino, son of former President Corazon Aquino, had about 40% of the vote with 38% of ballots counted.
Millions of Filipinos have been voting for a president, vice-president and more than 17,000 other official posts.
Voting was marred by the deaths of at least six people in political violence.
Mr Estrada had about 25.76% of the vote, said Comelec chair Jose Melo, and property tycoon Manny Villar was trailing in third with just under 14%.
Mr Melo said about 75% of the more than 50 million registered voters in the country had cast a ballot.
The presidential candidates are vying to replace President Gloria Arroyo, whose second term expires in June.
Under the terms of the constitution she is required to stand down, but she is running for a seat in parliament.
Official results are expected to be announced in the next two days.
Mr Aquino had been the pre-election favourite.
Correspondents say the 50-year-old's political pedigree - as the son of the beloved former president - has been hugely important in his campaign.
But he is also considered an honest, if inexperienced, candidate.
Some voters - including Mr Aquino - queued for several hours at polling stations, after newly-introduced voting machines malfunctioned.
But officials insisted that all votes would be counted and kept polling open to accommodate the delays.
The BBC's Kate McGeown in Manila says the main concern is that problems with the voting could lead to problems on the ground.
Previous elections have been tainted by violence, and despite increased security, at least six people were reported to have been killed in gun and bomb attacks in and around polling stations.

Well it seems that Aquino is headed for a win. But I am a bit worried about the whole Executive vs. Legislative branch battles that might occur over this. One of the reasons things have been a bit better in the economic front was the fact that the Pro-Administration coalition was in power in the past Congress.

Umbreon_
May 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM
In my opinion regarding the Vise-Presidential Race. Binay topped the polls/tally because of the endorsement of Chiz Escudero. :/

Where NoyBi is formed.

Zeffy
May 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
This post was requested to be made by Ne---*shot*

Binay winning is cool for me. Actually, I don't even care about Vice Presidents. /facepalm
I think, this was the fastest canvassing of votes made ever. Why didn't they already announce Senator Aquino as the winner? He has 13M+ votes, and Estrada only has 8M+. :/

Umbreon_
May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I hope Risa Hontiveros will be proclaimed as 13th senator. (: