PDA

View Full Version : What is your spelling age?

espeon and umbreon
November 1st, 2004, 02:05 AM
As it says in the title, what is your spelling age? If you don't know what it means it is level of the age of your spelling. Mine is 13 years and 5 month. I'm just curious...

John Denver
November 1st, 2004, 04:10 AM
What? What do you mean spelling age...like how long you've been able to spell?

Cherrim
November 1st, 2004, 05:44 AM
o_O; I haven't had spelling in school for years now... I have no idea. How are we supposed to figure it out? @_@;

TRIFORCE89
November 1st, 2004, 05:54 AM
I don't know what a spelling age is...but I'll assume that bigger is better....so...I'm not going to say 2.

Kayleigh
November 1st, 2004, 06:58 AM
I think what she means is how good you are at spelling; like if your skills are advanced or something.

Anyway, I've actually always been very good at spelling and grammar! A lot of teachers at my old school thought so, and so does my mom and several of my friends. (I've caught a lot of mistakes that they've made in letters and stuff, lol. It's kind of funny.) So, I'd say my skills are advanced by several years, but I'm not extremely smart or anything. ^_^;

IceKitten
November 1st, 2004, 07:09 AM
I'm VERY good at spelling, I don't know my age on it, but I'd say it was at least double my age XP

Merron
November 1st, 2004, 07:32 AM
I was better at spelling in the past, but as long as I am actively reading and writing, my spelling is considerably above-average.

Flygon trainer
November 1st, 2004, 07:40 AM
My spelling skills are a good ways above my age. my reading is collage-proficent though..

Zapchu
November 1st, 2004, 07:57 AM
I'm guessing college level...cause I'm in college right now and we have to do a lot of essays. *still doesn't get what this question means*

Cool Cr@cker
November 1st, 2004, 08:01 AM
I am Good in spelling for 9th Grade..But seriously how do you grade spellings!

Eliana
November 1st, 2004, 09:10 AM
Ah yes, spelling,
One of the very few things I grant myself bragging rights for ^^;;
I had to take many tests in my lifetime to see how well my academic skills were.
Currently, from the last test I took at age 12 1/2, The age they said my reading/vocabulary skills were that of a 23 year old or older. I think when I was 7 they said it was that of a 9th grader. I have to look at the tests results again...

Composer of Requiems
November 1st, 2004, 09:32 AM
<-- is a perfectionistic freak when it comes to spelling and grammer.

Reading? Hmm, I started reading very early, if that's what you mean.

espeon and umbreon
November 1st, 2004, 11:55 AM
Well spelling age is age level such as: if you're 9 years old and and your spelling age is 14 years old then there's 5 years difference. You may just estimate it.

dumbthingy
November 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM
Well spelling age is age level such as: if you're 9 years old and and your spelling age is 14 years old then there's 5 years difference. You may just estimate it.
Hmm... I'm not sure. Maybe 16..18 years? I can be a d.amn perfectionist on spelling, but sometimes I just don't care :P

Cherrim
November 1st, 2004, 01:07 PM
Well... in grade one, I would skip math to be put into a grade 2 English class. Plus, in grade 8 I was in a gifted program in which we did advanced English. =\ But... I really wouldn't know my spelling age. It'll more than likely be above average, but I wouldn't be able to say how high -- I stopped doing any sort of formal spelling tests in grade 7. =\

TRIFORCE89
November 1st, 2004, 01:22 PM
I've always had high marks in English. In grade eight my teacher pulled me aside, telling me how beautifully I write and that I should look for a career in it. LOL I was laughing so hard when I got home.

On all my spelling tests (my class was the only one in the school who continued to have them even in grade eight @_@) were usually perfect...or one wrong.

Typos one the other hand...

How would we figure this out exactly?

Timbjerr
November 1st, 2004, 01:38 PM
I'm a...good speller...I guess.

I may suck at every other aspect of an English class, but I know how to spell "I'm", unlike many people in my class who write "Im"

Math and engineering PWNS English and writing!!!

*Chikorita*
November 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure. :/ Grade wise in Spelling/English I have always gotten A's and A+'s. I guess I'm at about 15 or 16. I'm not to sure though. =P

Eliana
November 1st, 2004, 04:17 PM
I get straight A+'sin Vocab,
and when I dont I cry XD

Pounce
November 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
I don't think there's really such a thing as a spelling "age." it's not like you start to magically spell more and more things right as you grow older. you may increase your vocabulary, and learn to fix your spelling mistakes, but there's no age at which you continually.. I dunno, improve... >.>

but I challenge any of you to find something I've spelled wrong- you probably won't find anything other than mere typos. spelling and grammar are just those things I'm naturally a perfectionist about.

Autumn
November 1st, 2004, 08:14 PM
I haven't had a spelling test in years, though I've always thought the vocab tests I take were pretty simple. I'd say that I'm pretty good at spelling, if not above-average for my age. No idea how to tally up spelling age though.

I guess part of it is due to the fact that I enjoy reading, and I've scored high in writing. Spelling words isn't that hard for me, I think the writing part is the hardest. Of course, there's always spellcheck. XD

And does roleplaying help vocabwise? I've always wondered.

Ninja Retsu
November 1st, 2004, 08:38 PM
I'm in grade 7th but hmm... Maybe,my skills is for grade 8th. I guess.

ReploidZero798
November 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM
^supporter of the mighty Penguin regime
Anyways, bot, my spelling age would be about senior level. you can't tell online cause I try not to be to much of a perfectionist which I am. I usually tell people when they spell, or use words, incorrectly. All of my friends got mad at me for that and started an anti grammar club!XD

parallelzero
November 2nd, 2004, 03:55 AM
Ah yes, spelling,
One of the very few things I grant myself bragging rights for ^^;;
I had to take many tests in my lifetime to see how well my academic skills were.
Currently, from the last test I took at age 12 1/2, The age they said my reading/vocabulary skills were that of a 23 year old or older. I think when I was 7 they said it was that of a 9th grader. I have to look at the tests results again...
Yet eli, I still correct you a lot!! XD
Spelling eh... Lets see, I have an obsession with correcting bad spelling *ask any of my RL or PC friends) and I've never gotten less than 80 on a spelling test. 80 isnt great, but it suffices.

Mr Cat Dog
November 2nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
We had a reading age test when I was 7, and that turned out to be thirteen. So if we double both to get my age now, then that's means it's 26. It's probably completely wrong, but I think that's quite accurate. I'm really good at spelling. In all the spelling test we have had, at least last year, I never got a word wrong. ^_^

Geometric-sama
November 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
When I was in first grade, I had finished all the fifth grade spelling tests and was making up my own; by the time I reached about fourth grade, they'd given up and let me stop spelling because I could spell every word I had ever seen, and more besides.

Miyu-chan
November 3rd, 2004, 05:44 PM
I'm a sophomore now... but I've lived in a non-speaking eglish country for 5 years, so that might have lessened my ability. xD;;;

Lady of the Shadows
November 4th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Well even though i am above average in most subjects. My spelling is very poor. I try to work on it but for my age range.. it is poor *sigh