PDA

View Full Version : "The Mandarin Island Miss Match" Episode Discussion

Charaxes
April 15th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Here is where you can discuss the Elite Four's Lorelei and her Chesty Morgan anime breasts in "The Mandarin Island Miss Match."

My review to come forthwith.

Wings Don't Cry
April 16th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Didn't they call her Prima in the 4Kids Dub instead of Lorelei?

Blazenwing
April 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I never understood that. Amusingly enough, in Pokemon Puzzle League for N64, they do call her Lorelei, despite having the same voice actress (I think) and the same look as in the anime appearance of Prima. I always found that odd. Was it a dub issue? (i.e. her Japanese name is too short to believably fit Lor-e-lei instead of Pri-ma?)

Deokishisu
April 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
They changed her name because Lorelei... well, I'll let Bulbapedia explain.

Lorelei's name was changed to Prima in the English version of the anime. According to 4Kids, this was to fit the amount of syllables; the English name "Lorelei" is three syllables while the Japanese name "Kanna" is only two.

Link (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lorelai#In_the_anime)

Charaxes
April 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM
Right, but don't underestimate 4Kids' not doing the research, either. But then, hey, they got Bruno right, yeah?

Bulbapedia also elaborates on a cut scene involving her, Ash and Misty:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP099

DonRoyale
April 23rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
"Hi. I'm Lorelei Prima, and I have the Most Common Superpower (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostCommonSuperPower) up to 11. I don't want to battle, I'd rather have my head in the clouds.

FINE I'LL BATTLE GEEZ LOL YOU DIED."

Decent overall since Ash needs a headcheck episode every now and again, but I didn't really like that they changed her name, gave her gigantic chesticles, or made her a complete Cloud Cuckoolander. :|

Charaxes
April 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM
"Hi. I'm Lorelei Prima, and I have the Most Common Superpower (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostCommonSuperPower) up to 11. I don't want to battle, I'd rather have my head in the clouds.

FINE I'LL BATTLE GEEZ LOL YOU DIED."

Decent overall since Ash needs a headcheck episode every now and again, but I didn't really like that they changed her name, gave her gigantic chesticles, or made her a complete Cloud Cuckoolander. :|

+1 for all the TV Trope commentary. Then again, appreciate her special assets while you can, as 4Kids would be undoing cleavage from then on. (And, she's the last Elite Four anything until Lance, many seasons later.)

As for her character, yeah, she came off as odd, didn't she?

DonRoyale
April 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM
It's an...interesting contrast to her personality in the games, at least, where she's all "hurr durr I am ice queen I kick your ass, ready to lose, loser? k let's battle now". :V

Guy
April 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
It's an...interesting contrast to her personality in the games, at least, where she's all "hurr durr I am ice queen I kick your ass, ready to lose, loser? k let's battle now". :V
One thing I've come to learn is that when it comes to the Gym Leaders and Elite members, their personality or character in the game differs greatly from that in the show (with maybe a few exceptions). With Lorelei, I just see the anime wanting to give her a good and nice impression for viewers like they did with most of the others.

Charaxes
April 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM
One thing I've come to learn is that when it comes to the Gym Leaders and Elite members, their personality or character in the game differs greatly from that in the show (with maybe a few exceptions). With Lorelei, I just see the anime wanting to give her a good and nice impression for viewers like they did with most of the others.

I didn't mind it, either, as I also liked her "tape only. 9.95" remark. Besides, at the time, she wasn't done in Special, and you only had a blob of a text. I certainly understood why they wanted to spice her up.

Although, I was surprised by the torpedos she was carrying, so to speak. Oh, well, that's the way it goes, right?