PDA

View Full Version : Day of Silence

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6287/66723947.png

Well, the Day of Silence was here today, and I wore the piece of paper supporting homosexual rights though I couldn't stay quiet.

Well, that's better than nothing.

What did you do to end the silence?

Dixie Kong
April 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I honestly didn't know it was today. At my old school, people were all about it. I even got bullied for partaking in it. At my current school, no one, not even any LGBT people, seem to know about it. We tried telling them one year, but they took it offensively. :|

Either way, I haven't been silent since 9th grade. Besides, it's our spring break right now, so no one would know whether I'm doing it or not. It's either unknown or looked down upon in Alabama anyway.

Izanagi
April 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I didn't partake, because I personally, and not to be taken personally, don't support gay marriage and the likes.

Yoshimi
April 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Staying quiet about a subject that needs to be talked about seems counter productive, doesn't it?
It isn't like being quiet will make groups like the National Organization For Marriage open their eyes and see that they were just being homophobic bigots the whole time.

Ayselipera
April 16th, 2010, 05:50 PM
My school did the day of silence yesterday.

You just pay five dollars for a t-shirt that says 'Day of Silence 2010' so the teachers know you're partaking in it for the day. After that then you, don't talk for the rest of the day of course. Everyone is usually respectful of it. Although I support LGBT rights I didn't join it. I could never stay silent for a whole day. I feel like if I joined I'd end up talking and that would make me seem like I wasn't taking it seriously or that I was being disrespectful. :/

Mattysaurus
April 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I forgot it was today until lunch.
They I was silent the rest of the day.
If that counts. :/

Aureol
April 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Well, it's a poll, so I'm posting my answer as well. This is a highly sensitive subject and one I care not to debate on the internet (in-person conversations always seem to work out better for me :P). Anyways, I do not support it. I will not tell why, but I can say that not all reasons are religious. I won't assault anyone for celebrating this either...

Well, let me be clearer. I don't support gay marriage, but I DO support the end of discriminative bullying and whatnot. It's one thing to fight for what you believe in, but bullying, mocking, assault or any of those behaviors are wrong, no matter what group it's aimed at. So, in a sense I do support this day, but in another sense I don't.

EDIT: Wait a minute, this is allowed at a public school? For some reason, if this was aimed for Jews, I doubt they would receive the same sympathy...

{NM}Redwolf
April 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I didn't partake, because I personally, and not to be taken personally, don't support gay marriage and the likes.
I'm with you all the way man. I'm a catholic so i frown upon such things. that and i'm homophobic..........

Gary, the Magic Fairy
April 16th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.

Timbjerr
April 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I'm with you all the way man. I'm a catholic so i frown upon such things. that and i'm homophobic..........

I'm a confirmed Roman Catholic too, but I don't particularly think it's right to take the Bible at face value. The laws of Leviticus may or may not be valid, but it's not our place to force them on people who don't believe them.

Besides, did Jesus not say to love one another as he has loved us? Why all the hate in his name?

Also, I always forget the day of silence. I'm rather quiet in my day-to-day life anyways, so I bet no one noticed. XD

Izanagi
April 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
My friend, who said anything about hate? I don't hate homosexuals, I have homosexual friends, but that does not, by any means, mean I approve of their sexual prefferences.

Timbjerr
April 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
My post was directed at the dude who just explicitly described himself as a homophobic, not you. You're alright. :P

NarutoActor
April 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Ew, they had this at my school. I was like ohh your being silent eh? Well this will be a great time to inform you that homosexuality is an abomination :3 haha they where getting so mad. I tried to see how many people I can make talk. I was getting quite good at it, I knew exactly what buttons to press. In totally I made 11 people break there row, shows how serious they where about that. :)

Åzurε
April 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I'm no homophobe, but I don't support it (Christian here). I really don't get the whole issue with LGBT, why there's so many people making a show of standing up for them. It appears they've become something of a vocal minority anyways. I get the whole playground stigma (Gay as an insult, etc.), but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people who end up identifying themselves like this just confused kids learning about so many different forms of sex before they should, and plain ol' drama.

It's funny how us churchgoers need to hush up, but we gotta fight, fight, fight for gay rights. Little observations.

Also, Timbjerr, the Bible doesn't work like that in my experience. Homosexuality, at least, is directly addressed as a sin in both Old and New Testaments. I'm not saying we should all go "Gays go to hell", but glossing over a bit of the Bible to make it more attractive to a single person defeats the point.

EDIT: Eh, Aureol has it right. It's not the time or thread to try that again. I wasn't trying to start a debate in any case.

Aureol
April 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hey guys, it's awesome there are so many that are on the same side as me on this issue, but can we please leave that stuff out? There's nothing worse than a debate thread on abortion/LGBT morality/religious tolerance/other moral issues. Let's just leave the topic at whether you supported this day or not before we get angryfaces.

wee187
April 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Eh, I kind of already had my angryface, not at people's opposition to the DOS, but the insults at it. Spitting in someone's face like some do just really anger me sometimes.

donavannj
April 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I was not aware of such a day (but I live in a socially conservative area of a politically divided state).

This does, however, remind me of something many of the members of the SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving) organization at my school have done on a yearly basis: paint their faces black and white and not speak the whole day to advocate against drunk driving and to be a representation of those who have died in such accidents.

Jubilation
April 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I was meaning to partake in this, but alas my brother annoyed me until I hurled abuse at him.

shookie
April 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I totally forgot it was today :S Thankfully I'm normally a quiet person, and seeing as how there weren't that many people in my class today, I didn't talk much anyway.
As a supporter of the LGBT community and friends to those who are or were bullied, I support the day as a whole. I'm not a big fan of being uppity about it to people, I would only make it clear if I had something that I had to talk about, like a presentation or something similar.

When I was a Sophomore in high school, I participated in something similar, which was school-run instead of through a larger group. Rather than focus on LGBT, it was focused on drunk driving and its consequences. I was "killed" in Biology class and spent the rest of the day dressed in black with my face painted white, and I couldn't talk to anybody. I also had to sit at a certain table for lunch, and at the end of the day, everybody that participated stood by the exits to face all of the people leaving.

.Gamer
April 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I didn't even know it existed if that says anything about what I did...

But I probably wouldn't participate anyway because imo protests are a waste of time and it reminds me of those people who wear tape on their mouths to protest abortion and are a joke.

MegaSlowBro.
April 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
My school did it today, and people had to papers stuck on their shirts, backpacks, etc. I wanted to partake in it, but I didn't. Mainly because I don't think I could last the whole day without talking, and if I did (while doing it), I would feel really bad that I broke the silence.

chadgraphix
April 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
It happened at my school, today. It was kinda cool. It wasn't just people who were LGBT, it was for the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance).

They wore tape over their mouth with an X on it to represent it.

Edit:

BTW, the majority of Pokemon players are straight male teenagers, who happen to be more closed mindeded than other people. I'm bi, but didn't participitate.

twocows
April 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Nope, didn't participate. I'm all for equal treatment of everyone, but this just seems silly to me. If I want to make a difference, I'll donate to the ACLU or something.

BTW, the majority of Pokemon players are straight male teenagers, who happen to be more closed mindeded than other people.
Oh irony.

Kura
April 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.

I kinda agree with this. ://

Sansa Stark
April 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Okay, so about this. I had everything planned out in advance: I had cards printed out, fliers to hand out, information about it [like who it is in memory of this year (http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/news/record/2400.html), 4 truths (http://www.dayofsilence.org/content/truth.html), etc.] and everything was going great most of the day. I was quiet. I gave my friends cards so they'd be in the loop. Word spread around the school, and my [gay ex-boy]friend was silent with me.

. . But, of course, today of all days was the day we were setting up for prom. So, I, being bossy and responsible was given the task to instruct people on the creation of a 17 foot tall replica of the Eiffel Tower . . and that was just the beginning. After a while, it became too much of a bother to stay quiet / write everything out and I resumed speaking to bark orders out. :\

And yeah, since we [my friend and I] were roped into helping all day, the DoS kind of dropped :[
Had it been any other day, we'd have been able to keep silent, but it just isn't safe when handling tools/putting stuff together without communication lol. D:

So, yeah. XD;

But I probably wouldn't participate anyway because imo protests are a waste of time and it reminds me of those people who wear tape on their mouths to protest abortion and are a joke.
Lol. My friends were like "wtf" when I wasn't talking - because I talk. A lot. And then I handed them the pamphlet and they were like oh wow. And . . it got people talking, so idk. Lol.

Ew, they had this at my school. I was like ohh your being silent eh? Well this will be a great time to inform you that homosexuality is an abomination :3 haha they where getting so mad. I tried to see how many people I can make talk. I was getting quite good at it, I knew exactly what buttons to press. In totally I made 11 people break there row, shows how serious they where about that. :)
..lol. mature.

didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.
That's not exactly feasible :P
What's wrong with spreading tolerance?

Haters to the left, kthnx.

PokemonLeagueChamp
April 17th, 2010, 04:21 AM
All right, time for my rant(not intended to cause ragewars).

Point 1: This may not be the case for anyone else, but despite living in a relatively conservative area, the school I go to is rather liberal. This means that our GLASS(Gay Lesbian And Straight Society)Club is very prominent. Hell, last year they and their banner were at the front of our homecoming parade, and THAT was the picture that made it into the yearbook. But that's not my main point here. A while back I called my friend "gay"(because TBH he was indeed acting a bit gay)and then I had somebody off GLASS say, "I'm offended by that." Now, for starters, that shows they at least are definitely NOT silent to bullying, even when it was just joking to my friend and not even remotely having to do with them. The other thing is, who was expected to be silent there? The glares I got from the members sitting at their table tells me that they at least think I shouldn't say stuff like that, even though I have Freedom of Speech(which is unfortunately be destroyed by a number of factors)and I wasn't bullying them, or talking to them, or even LOOKING at them in any way intending on getting them riled up. At any rate, why should that happen because I was talking to my friend? If this is where all this gay-rights stuff combined with that God-awful political correctness is going, life's gonna suck for me and others who, again, make such jokes like that with their friends.

Point 2: I am more than willing to admit that I have not, did not, and probably will not participate in the Day of Silence. My reasons are few but likely controversial, so I will keep them brief. I am no supportor of gay marriage and the like. While I support the natural-born rights of everyone(although in this day and age, "everyone" means only minorities, thanks political correctness), I don't exactly consider marriage to be a right, certainly not a right everyone has. The whole "tolerance" idea, while I'm not a big fan of the whole homosexual thing(concerning yourself with my reason is unwise at this or pretty much any other time), is something I'm fine with. Just don't come up surrounding me with all your groups and your banners up in my face and try to make it like I have some kind of problem because I'll have nothing to do with your protests and meetings.

Point 3: Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever got better treatment by just being silent. Just look at the United States. If we hadn't opened up our mouths and told the British exactly what we wanted and how far we would go to get it, the USA may full well never have existed. If you expect anyone to listen to you, or what you believe in, you cannot be silent. No one will hear you, even if they want to.

Well, that'll be enough outta me. Again, this is not intended to offend, or cause rage wars.

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I never knew about this. Then again, I wouldn't participate, since I don't believe homosexuals should be "married" - moreso joined in a different type of contract that grants the same rights, but doesn't extend to a holy ritual.

Code
April 17th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Point 1: This may not be the case for anyone else, but despite living in a relatively conservative area, the school I go to is rather liberal. This means that our GLASS(Gay Lesbian And Straight Society)Club is very prominent. Hell, last year they and their banner were at the front of our homecoming parade, and THAT was the picture that made it into the yearbook. But that's not my main point here. A while back I called my friend "gay"(because TBH he was indeed acting a bit gay)and then I had somebody off GLASS say, "I'm offended by that." Now, for starters, that shows they at least are definitely NOT silent to bullying, even when it was just joking to my friend and not even remotely having to do with them. The other thing is, who was expected to be silent there? The glares I got from the members sitting at their table tells me that they at least think I shouldn't say stuff like that, even though I have Freedom of Speech(which is unfortunately be destroyed by a number of factors)and I wasn't bullying them, or talking to them, or even LOOKING at them in any way intending on getting them riled up. At any rate, why should that happen because I was talking to my friend? If this is where all this gay-rights stuff combined with that God-awful political correctness is going, life's gonna suck for me and others who, again, make such jokes like that with their friends.

Point 2: I am more than willing to admit that I have not, did not, and probably will not participate in the Day of Silence. My reasons are few but likely controversial, so I will keep them brief. I am no supportor of gay marriage and the like. While I support the natural-born rights of everyone(although in this day and age, "everyone" means only minorities, thanks political correctness), I don't exactly consider marriage to be a right, certainly not a right everyone has. The whole "tolerance" idea, while I'm not a big fan of the whole homosexual thing(concerning yourself with my reason is unwise at this or pretty much any other time), is something I'm fine with. Just don't come up surrounding me with all your groups and your banners up in my face and try to make it like I have some kind of problem because I'll have nothing to do with your protests and meetings.

Point 3: Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever got better treatment by just being silent. Just look at the United States. If we hadn't opened up our mouths and told the British exactly what we wanted and how far we would go to get it, the USA may full well never have existed. If you expect anyone to listen to you, or what you believe in, you cannot be silent. No one will hear you, even if they want to.

Well, that'll be enough outta me. Again, this is not intended to offend, or cause rage wars.
Point 1.
I agree with the people who were offended by your comment on this one. The way you used the word "Gay" as an insult, or as a description of a way to behave was wrong. The stereotypical gay person is happy and very feminine, but you don't need to be gay to act like any of these two things.
And all gays aren't just happy and feminine, so there is really no reason to say: "You look really gay right now" as a description of how someone looks.
I don't know if I summarized my point correctly, but please don't misunderstand me.

Point 2.
Here I respect your views. I do not agree with them, but they are your views, and it is your right to have them. At least they aren't offensive. And nobody can complain about this one. Me, myself? I am for Gay marriage, but that doesn't mean you have to be.

Point 3.
Here I agree with you completely. I think that people should rather speak up for the gays instead of staying silent for them. Who the heck does this help anyway?
=)

Esper
April 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I never knew about this. Then again, I wouldn't participate, since I don't believe homosexuals should be "married" - moreso joined in a different type of contract that grants the same rights, but doesn't extend to a holy ritual.
That's not the point of it. Its purpose is to draw attention to bullying and other things queer kids in school have to put up with.

I didn't participate because I forgot about it. At least I can vote.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Everyone is saying that staying silent defeats the purpose... which everyone themselves contradict themselves with, because obviously it spread awareness. Nobody was talking. People are expected to talk. When people don't respond to you, you gotta wonder why, and then they take a look at your shirt or card, and boom, they know about the Day of Silence. It's the fact that it is silent that it is effective with so many people.

Sansa Stark
April 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Well, then perhaps you need a new vocabulary. To be gay is not something derogatory. /PSA
Point 2: I am more than willing to admit that I have not, did not, and probably will not participate in the Day of Silence. My reasons are few but likely controversial, so I will keep them brief. I am no supportor of gay marriage and the like. While I support the natural-born rights of everyone(although in this day and age, "everyone" means only minorities, thanks political correctness), I don't exactly consider marriage to be a right, certainly not a right everyone has. The whole "tolerance" idea, while I'm not a big fan of the whole homosexual thing(concerning yourself with my reason is unwise at this or pretty much any other time), is something I'm fine with. Just don't come up surrounding me with all your groups and your banners up in my face and try to make it like I have some kind of problem because I'll have nothing to do with your protests and meetings.Everyone means everyone. And . . well, what you get is probably the overdramatics of teenagers who are trying to be ~so serious~ about this and wind up making themselves look bad. Don't let some bad apples ruin your perspective of everyone ^^

..you've missed the point. It's not saying protesting/marches don't work, it's just a form of . . contrast. Think of it like this: instead of being loud and open about it, or just normally talkative or whatever, instead they're showing their true support for a cause they think just. It doesn't have to be the gay day of silence either, I'm referring to Days of Silence in general :B

FreakyLocz14
April 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm not gonna get scolded in school over something silly like LGBT wanting special priveleges.
I'm not opposed to them getting them but I'm not gonna risk academic discipline over it.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Nice to see this turning into a debate thread instead of the purpose. Do you support the DoS, and did you participate.

{NM}Redwolf
April 17th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I hate to break everyones wishes and all but a world with out a certain group being bullied will never happen. Its like world peace. It will never happen because people can't ever agree all on the same thing. As long as there are gays there will be people making fun of them. Its like Hitlers effect on the jews. There are still Neo Nazis that follow him today. I'm glad i don't have any gays at my school because i would probably get in a fight with one because i am against gay rights. Sorry but i'm a catholic and i see it as a sin.

Honest
April 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
My school was crazy about this day, and took it very seriously. I did participate, and though I really didn't do anything to stop the quarrels of gay, lesbian, bisexual people, etc, I did manage to stop saying insulting stuff that would hurt there feelings (ex: That's so gay, etc)

Yamikarasu
April 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I knew it was coming up, but I forgot about it. Oh well, I wasn't going to participate anyway, since I don't have that kind of discipline to stay silent the entire day. :/

I'll support gay rights in other ways, like voting to end discrimination as soon as I can.

I hate to break everyones wishes and all but a world with out a certain group being bullied will never happen. Its like world peace. It will never happen because people can't ever agree all on the same thing. As long as there are gays there will be people making fun of them. Its like Hitlers effect on the jews. There are still Neo Nazis that follow him today. I'm glad i don't have any gays at my school because i would probably get in a fight with one because i am against gay rights. Sorry but i'm a catholic and i see it as a sin.

Ha. Wow. Twisted logic is twisted.

{NM}Redwolf
April 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'm just being honest. You can hope and dream all you want but some things will never happen. This is just one of them. People aren't meant to get along with everyone. Something a lot of people don't understand. They waste their lives trying to make everyone like them and it never works. As long as there are people there will be wars. I believe Albert Einstein said this or someone famous...i forget who. Whether it be actual wars or just arguements, they will always happen and will never go away.

Yamikarasu
April 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm just being honest. You can hope and dream all you want but some things will never happen. This is just one of them. People aren't meant to get along with everyone. Something a lot of people don't understand. They waste their lives trying to make everyone like them and it never works. As long as there are people there will be wars. I believe Albert Einstein said this or someone famous...i forget who. Whether it be actual wars or just arguements, they will always happen and will never go away.

You should have told that to Martin Luther King. Yeah, there are still racists, but you simply cannot argue that black people are not treated better than they were 50 years ago. The same can be said for women, thanks to feminist movements they are treated better, yet there are still sexists. That's why we have civil rights movements, like the fight for gay rights now. Wow.

Silver
April 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM
My highschool does it at a later date because we're always on Spring Break during the actual one. And though I do support LGBT rights, I probably won't be partaking in our day of silence this year. Because it does seem counter productive. =/

{NM}Redwolf
April 17th, 2010, 01:07 PM
You should have told that to Martin Luther King. Yeah, there are still racists, but you simply cannot argue that black people are not treated better than they were 50 years ago. The same can be said for women, thanks to feminist movements they are treated better, yet there are still sexists. That's why we have civil rights movements, like the fight for gay rights now. Wow.
Things improved but the "war" is still there. It never was "won" or ended. It still goes on today and just cause thing are great here doesn't mean they are world wide. Hint, look at the women's rights in Iran or whats happening to gay people down in the African country(don't recall name).

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
This is about the Day of Silence, and if you participated. Why are all threads like this turned into a debate thread. :(

Throat
April 17th, 2010, 01:34 PM
So you do something to defy this same thing?

shookie
April 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
This is about the Day of Silence, and if you participated. Why are all threads like this turned into a debate thread. :(
Differences of opinion, and people are headstrong with what they they think is wrong or right.

I don't care if you think homosexuality is a sin or you don't think they should get married or anything. My dad told me he would rather ship me out to Iraq than have me become a chain-smoking lesbian. My mom grew up in a strictly Catholic household. If I was gay and was abused for it by my peers, they wouldn't have stood by going "Well that's what you get for liking women." Bullying, discrimination and physical/verbal abuse is still wrong even if they didn't agree with my lifestyle.

I mostly support the Day of Silence because one of my best friends was gay, and because some people didn't like that, she never got to go through high school or college. I was also bullied to the point where I wasn't allowed on my own bus ride home, all because a group of kids decided they didn't like me based on how I looked and dressed. It's a very sore subject for me, which is why I support *any* day or event that brings awareness to things like this.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM
You should have told that to Martin Luther King. Yeah, there are still racists, but you simply cannot argue that black people are not treated better than they were 50 years ago. The same can be said for women, thanks to feminist movements they are treated better, yet there are still sexists. That's why we have civil rights movements, like the fight for gay rights now. Wow.No I hate it when people try to compare civil rights movement to homosexuality. Being black isn't a sin. You are born black, you aren't born gay(weather you don't want to believe that with your twisted logic ,or not; you are not born gay)

Blacks where being oppressed and, not allowed in cretin schools. If your gay, you can still go to a straight school. No madder how much bullying you got for being gay, it was a 1000 times worse for blacks; so saying that it was the same thing is mest up to all the African Americans who fought for equality.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
No I hate it when people try to compare civil rights movement to homosexuality. Being black isn't a sin. You are born black, you aren't born gay(weather you don't want to believe that with your twisted logic ,or not; you are not born gay)

Blacks where being oppressed and, not allowed in cretin schools. If your gay, you can still go to a straight school. No madder how much bullying you got for being gay, it was a 1000 times worse for blacks; so saying that it was the same thing is mest up to all the African Americans who fought for equality.

Talk about twisted logic... You say homosexuality is a sin and an abomination, yet you do nothing to stop them "sinning". I believe you're supposed to, based on the Catholic religion? It seems to me that you're more just afraid and homophobic than anything. Some people are gay. Deal with it. But when you make a post like this...

...wow... As Sydian said, that post makes me feel embarrassed to even have a religion. Bullying people is wrong, "breaking people" because you think it's fun is wrong, and you feeling no conscious whatsoever for that just sickens me to my stomach. Staying silent and defiant of rights that every person, homosexual, bisexual, straight, or whatever, deserves? That's right. But bullying people like you did is the real sin, the real abomination.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I am not bulling anyone, like you said I should do something to try to stop those sinners from sinning.

I am not scared of any gay, I don't get nervous when I am around them, I tell them what they are doing is wrong. How is that being scared of them?

Yoshimi
April 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I am not bulling anyone, like you said I should do something to try to stop those sinners from sinning.

I am not scared of any gay, I don't get nervous when I am around them, I tell them what they are doing is wrong. How is that being scared of them?

Homophobia can also refer to not liking them, which is what you're doing.

Also, will you try to prevent me from eating pork and shellfish?

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Why would I prevent you from eating?! I am not catholic xD I eat Shel fish all the time. Also I don't dislike gays, I just believe what they are doing is wrong. It's like if you have a drug addicted friend.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Because you just missed the entire point. It's not wrong, what you're saying to them is. My best friend is bisexual, and he's told me before he'd do anything to become straight. That really tore me up, because he hasn't completely accepted it yet, and yet you think people go gay just because they feel like it. It's how you're saying such crude things to people with no care about the other's feelings that makes what you said disgust me.

Why would I prevent you from eating?! I am not catholic xD I eat Shel fish all the time. Also I don't dislike gays, I just believe what they are doing is wrong. It's like if you have a drug addicted friend.

Ew, they had this at my school. I was like ohh your being silent eh? Well this will be a great time to inform you that homosexuality is an abomination :3 haha they where getting so mad. I tried to see how many people I can make talk. I was getting quite good at it, I knew exactly what buttons to press.

So if you don't dislike them, is that how you treat everybody?

Yoshimi
April 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM

So you admitted to accepting only parts of the bible. Stop that. No one likes a cherry picker.
Whatever happened to the golden rule?

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
So you admitted to accepting only parts of the bible. Stop that. No one likes a cherry picker.
Whatever happened to the golden rule?

Well personally I think people have the right to interpret any religious document with their own opinion, and "cherry picking" may not be always wrong because the bible has changed so sporadically since Jesus actually delivered it. If people cherry pick the bible itself when they rewrite it, then I can't blame people for doing them same when they read it. But that's really besides the point, it doesn't have much to do with the DoS...

Yoshimi
April 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Well personally I think people have the right to interpret any religious document with their own opinion, and "cherry picking" may not be always wrong because the bible has changed so sporadically since Jesus actually delivered it. If people cherry pick the bible itself when they rewrite it, then I can't blame people for doing them same when they read it. But that's really besides the point, it doesn't have much to do with the DoS...

Choosing what group you want to hate and using a religion as an excuse is horrid. I don't see how anyone can do that.
I'm getting offtopic, but whatevs.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Choosing what group you want to hate and using a religion as an excuse is horrid. I don't see how anyone can do that.
I'm getting offtopic, but whatevs.

Well, yeah, I 100% agree with you there, but I'm just saying in general. xD Though I'm not an expert, I'm not Catholic or any form of Christian at all, so I dunno. Maybe I just misinterpreted what you said.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Whatever happened to the golden rule?Jesus revoked those rules in the new testament. So you should try reading the bible before quoting it, eh?

@that other guy wee or somethin'

I treat everyone will kindness and respect, but I will not turn a blind eye to someone sinning right in front of me. How do you treat... lets say a prostitute?

Yoshimi
April 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Jesus revoked those rules in the new testament. So you should try reading the bible before quoting it, eh?

He came to enforce the rules, not to abolish it.
Don't think you can get away with that dishonesty.

I treat everyone will kindness and respect, but I will not turn a blind eye to someone sinning right in front of me. How do you treat... lets say a prostitute?

So you insult them like a child instead of trying to show them the supposed light.
I'm getting the feeling that you are closeted That's some pretty kinky stuff :3

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 03:53 PM
He came to enforce the rules, not to abolish it.
Don't think you can get away with that dishonesty.

So you insult them like a child instead of trying to show them the supposed light.
I'm getting the feeling that you are closeted That's some pretty kinky stuff :3
ew no man that's just gross.

I don't insult them I inform them what they are doing is wrong and I would like to invite you to church, because Jesus loves you.

How can you say you know more about the bible then me, when I have read the whole bible, and your not even a christian. You just hear something that you think is logical/witty and you copy it for your own arguments :D

Yoshimi
April 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
ew no man that's just gross.

I don't insult them I inform them what they are doing is wrong and I would like to invite you to church, because Jesus loves you.

How can you say you know more about the bible then me, when I have read the whole bible, and your not even a christian. You just hear something that you think is logical/witty and you copy it for your own arguments :D

Ladies and gentleman, exhibit A.
*applause*

Whatever, it's not like there is any point in talking to you about this. You clearly aren't going to change your thoughts when the only reason you have to hate is "my religion doesn't like it."

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Jesus revoked those rules in the new testament. So you should try reading the bible before quoting it, eh?

@that other guy wee or somethin'

It's wee187.

One, that's not respect, or kindness. Two, being gay and being a prostitute are completely different things. Like I said, you don't just choose to be gay. My guess, based off how my friend realized he was bisexual, is that you just start feeling it and you can't change it. And it's not a sin if you can't help it. Comparing a prostitute and a gay person is completely irrelevant because most gay people don't go out and have sex with random guys.

To answer your question though, so you don't say "you didn't answer the question"... I'd treat a prostitute with pity and suspicion but I certainly wouldn't treat him/her like you treated people on the Day of Silence.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
It's wee187.

One, that's not respect, or kindness. Two, being gay and being a prostitute are completely different things. Like I said, you don't just choose to be gay. My guess, based off how my friend realized he was bisexual, is that you just start feeling it and you can't change it. And it's not a sin if you can't help it. Comparing a prostitute and a gay person is completely irrelevant because most gay people don't go out and have sex with random guys.

To answer your question though, so you don't say "you didn't answer the question"... I'd treat a prostitute with pity and suspicion but I certainly wouldn't treat him/her like you treated people on the Day of Silence.
What if the prostitute sais she can't help it, she keeps on getting these urges. She sais she was born this way, but she wants to have a normal relationship.

You chose to be gay if you can't over come your sinful urges that's your problem, and you should go ask God for forgiveness.

@luck
I don't hate them xD I don't go around beating them up.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM
What if the prostitute sais she can't help it, she keeps on getting these urges. She sais she was born this way, but she wants to have a normal relationship.

You chose to be gay if you can't over come your sinful urges that's your problem, and you should go ask God for forgiveness.

@luck

One, urges aren't sins if you don't choose for them to come to you. Let's take this into perspective. You and me, let's chat right here. Say we lived in a world of opposites where straight relationships were outlawed and everybody was gay. Don't question it, just know that in this made-up world, being straight is a sin because their(let me make up a book) because their holy book known as the Forumpost says all straight relations are "abominations". Now, let's say you live in that world. Don't say, "oh but I don't, so it doesn't matter~" or anything to get off the point, just answer the question. Let's say you live in that world, and you're straight as a pin. When you turn 13 you get these funny feelings around girls and you're scared you'll get harassed by people when they find out you're straight. The Forumpost says it's a sin if "you can't resist the urges and be like everybody else". But you can't, you just don't feel the same when with a guy, you're only falling in love with women. Let's say there's many others like you now, who have set this think up called the Day of Silence to end the discrimination against straight people. You participate, but this guy known as ActorNaruto (yeah, I switched it, that's not you) goes around making fun at these protesters by making them talk and pressing "the right buttons".

You're straight, but now you're an utter sinner because you just can't like guys, no matter how hard you try, and now the Forumpost says you're gonna go to hell because of it.
----

Take that into perspective, NarutoActor. In a reversed, reversed world(our real world), that's how every gay person feels. They can't help it. You can't help being straight. They can't help being gay or bisexual or whatever.

Oh, but that's your problem.

Sad. If religion teaches people not to question things and not to actually think... then to hell with it.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
One, urges aren't sins if you don't choose for them to come to you. Let's take this into perspective. You and me, let's chat right here. Say we lived in a world of opposites where straight relationships were outlawed and everybody was gay. Don't question it, just know that in this made-up world, being straight is a sin because their(let me make up a book) because their holy book known as the Forumpost says all straight relations are "abominations". Now, let's say you live in that world. Don't say, "oh but I don't, so it doesn't matter~" or anything to get off the point, just answer the question. Let's say you live in that world, and you're straight as a pin. When you turn 13 you get these funny feelings around girls and you're scared you'll get harassed by people when they find out you're straight. The Forumpost says it's a sin if "you can't resist the urges and be like everybody else". But you can't, you just don't feel the same when with a guy, you're only falling in love with women. Let's say there's many others like you now, who have set this think up called the Day of Silence to end the discrimination against straight people. You participate, but this guy known as ActorNaruto (yeah, I switched it, that's not you) goes around making fun at these protesters by making them talk and pressing "the right buttons".

You're straight, but now you're an utter sinner because you just can't like guys, no matter how hard you try, and now the Forumpost says you're gonna go to hell because of it.
----

Take that into perspective, NarutoActor. In a reversed, reversed world(our real world), that's how every gay person feels. They can't help it. You can't help being straight. They can't help being gay or bisexual or whatever.

Oh, but .

Sad. If religion teaches people not to question things and not to actually think... then to hell with it.Sure, I will live in your twisted world for one day. If this was the case I would be praying to FORMO the form springs god. Asking him for help and guidance with my strange urges. (even tho the pluming works for straights and not gays, so the human race was designed to be straight)

Also In that world I would try to please my God, and find favor in him. Even if that means putting things aside that I like. or love. That my friend is true Christainity. ( but I am not sure if you see me as your friend. haha oh well, lets me friends <3 :D)

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'll be your friend, sure, as long as you don't go out hurting homosexual people's feelings anymore, which, deny or not, you do. I don't see you stopping either, but I don't know.

If you don't have a problem with me being a Muslim(but you do too...) then I won't mind being your friend. But don't expect me to fall for any propaganda to turn me from my ways of "darkness" as you obviously see it.

Now, to talk about your reply, I have some statements to make. No matter what God says, people are entitled to choose their own way of life. As long as people still pledge themselves to whatever religion they lead, and they lead a good life, trying to do some good in the world, there's no gay or straight reason that they should be punished or sin-filled. There just isn't. It's this line you have to make between yourself and God. You either go all the way or not at all, but most people can usually find the middle ground between freedom and religion. To pledge faith to God isn't to live a life of solitude, closeted feelings, and secrecy. To pledge faith to God is to live your life and prove to God that you can honestly say you led a great life and tried to do something good. Whether the person you're in love with has a dick or not doesn't doesn't matter. Being gay isn't the sin. Living for God and not yourself is. Sure, if you have a religion, then you must love whatever entity that guides you, in this case, God. You definitely should live for God. But God does not say it a sin if you can't change who you are. It's how you live your life in actions. Do you bully and mock a person(example, your original post on this thread about the DoS), or do you accept and respect him/her? I don't think I need to say which way God wants you to live your life. But I will anyway because I don't know if you can pick the right answer. It's freedom and respect.

chadgraphix
April 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversy

Let's end it.

Some people are gay, straight, or even bi (like me). Why don't you send me a hate message telling me how I'm "sinning," even if I haven't even had sex yet. :)

I think this should just be about whether or not you participated in it, and not some long, complicated argument.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM

----

Oh, but .

Sad. If religion teaches people not to question things and not to actually think... then to hell with it.

Okay, just because of this well put together and constructive post. I am sending you a friend request.

Sure, I will live in your twisted world for one day. If this was the case I would be praying to FORMO the form springs god. Asking him for help and guidance with my strange urges. (even tho the pluming works for straights and not gays, so the human race was designed to be straight)

Also In that world I would try to please my God, and find favor in him. Even if that means putting things aside that I like. or love. That my friend is true Christainity. ( but I am not sure if you see me as your friend. haha oh well, lets me friends <3 :D)

And that is the reason my family gave up on religion many years ago. Intolerance and discrimination to those who are different is a bad thing, and a lot of parts of any religion seems to be an excuse to hate those who are different.

And that part of we are suppose to be straight is a load of ********. Every animal species (yes, humans are animals) on the Planet Earth has some homosexuals in it from primates to gut worms.

Our closely related species is known as the bonobos. The bonobo species is completely bisexual. They use hetro/homosexual sex to dissolve conflict and make sure peace is remained. This is, what I call, a utopia, a society with no conflict and no discrimination. This is an ideal world.

NarutoActor, I don't hate you for not believing what I do. I gave up on stuff like that when I gave up religion. I actually hope we can be friends. I am merely stating my side of the argument, and I am hoping that you will take it in to consideration.

~Team Rocket's Raichu

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'll be your friend, sure, as long as you don't go out hurting homosexual people's feelings anymore, which, deny or not, you do. I don't see you stopping either, but I don't know.

If you don't have a problem with me being a Muslim(but you do too...) then I won't mind being your friend. But don't expect me to fall for any propaganda to turn me from my ways of "darkness" as you obviously see it.

Now, to talk about your reply, I have some statements to make. No matter what God says, people are entitled to choose their own way of life. As long as people still pledge themselves to whatever religion they lead, and they lead a good life, trying to do some good in the world, there's no gay or straight reason that they should be punished or sin-filled. There just isn't. It's this line you have to make between yourself and God. You either go all the way or not at all, but most people can usually find the middle ground between freedom and religion. To pledge faith to God isn't to live a life of solitude, closeted feelings, and secrecy. To pledge faith to God is to live your life and prove to God that you can honestly say you led a great life and tried to do something good. Whether the person you're in love with has a dick or not doesn't doesn't matter. Being gay isn't the sin. Living for God and not yourself is. Sure, if you have a religion, then you must love whatever entity that guides you, in this case, God. You definitely should live for God. But God does not say it a sin if you can't change who you are. It's how you live your life in actions. Do you bully and mock a person(example, your original post on this thread about the DoS), or do you accept and respect him/her? I don't think I need to say which way God wants you to live your life. But I will anyway because I don't know if you can pick the right answer. It's freedom and respect. I love muslems, there so funny <3. The Evangelical goal is to make friends, grow close relationships with them ,and bring them to god. But you can chose to stay at the first step, but I might invite you to church, just don't get mad at me. :D

There is no middle grounds, there is light or darkness. You chose. You either follow God and his entirety or don't follow him at all. God gives you free will.

Back to your world, God wouldn't force me to be gay, he lets me chose. Okay but you say where born gay. So as long as I don't act on those gay feelings I am not sinning. You should ask god to change you because when you ask Jesus into your life your are reborned. ( so now your are born straight, make sense?)

Mario The World Champion
April 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Well, this discussion has gone downhill since someone decided to bring religion into it. It seems like religious people would rather live in their own perfect world then deal with an ever-changing world and condemn people for being gay.

Back to topic, I didn't realize this was going on. I remember some person on the news mentioning it, but I thought it was for support of women who suffered from domestic violence who were afraid to speak out.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I love muslems, there so funny <3. The Evangelical goal is to make friends, grow close relationships with them ,and bring them to god. But you can chose to stay at the first step, but I might invite you to church, just don't get mad at me. :D

There is no middle grounds, there is light or darkness. You chose. You either follow God and his entirety or don't follow him at all. God gives you free will.

Back to your world, God wouldn't force me to be gay, he lets me chose. Okay but you say where born gay. So as long as I don't act on those gay feelings I am not sinning. You should ask god to change you because when you ask Jesus into your life your are reborned. ( so now your are born straight, make sense?)

I don't need a Church. I have a Mosque, the "church" for my religion. :) And I believe there are middle grounds, otherwise my friend wouldn't be bisexual. It means he likes men and women.

And if following God means I can't be in the middle grounds, then I don't. But in my religion, we at least have that freedom, and we don't get labeled as sinners for feeling a bit different than everybody else. If anything is done with good intention, God sees it.

And Mario, sorry, yeah it really has spun into a controversial religious debate about homosexuality. I'm done with this thread now, and this argument. NarutoActor, send me a VM if you want to keep up this discussion. I think it's pointless though, since your opinion is basically to call people who can't control their feelings sinners.

But I just realized I never actually said I participated. I did participate in the Day of Silence, and I did my best to stay 100% silent to support my friend and all the people around the world who need to be heard, through the silence. Not speaking raises awareness when people ask why you're not talking. It's just as effective if not more than shouting it to the world.

lx_theo
April 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I support the effort in its entirety, no matter how naive it seems. Though I didn't partake in the effort myself.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 05:26 PM
It seems like that PC is split on whether the Day of Silence is good or bad.

Mario The World Champion
April 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I look at it this way: You are who you are and if some people don't want to accept you, forget them. At least you're following your own path instead of following what it written in some book 2000 years ago and not being flexible about it.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 05:42 PM
The constitution is 200 years old. Should be scrap that? ever herd the saying "if it works, then why try changing it?"

Mario The World Champion
April 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Please don't bring politics into this.

Stairmaster
April 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
It's a good cause, but a stupid method. A silent protest?

EDIT: And yeah, why are politics being dragged into this?

shookie
April 17th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, there really isn't enough facepalm in the world for this.

Not speaking exemplifies that those affected by bullying couldn't, or wouldn't, speak out about it at the risk of further abuse, or because anybody they told wouldn't take action. There's also the few cases of where people pass away as a result, making them unable to speak about their ordeal.
That's how I see it, at least.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM

I respond with this: Not speaking raises awareness when people ask why you're not talking. It's just as effective if not more than shouting it to the world. If you go up to somebody and start talking to them, and they don't respond, you are definitely going to wonder why. It's a silent, peaceful, and very much working method.

Stairmaster
April 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I respond with this: Not speaking raises awareness when people ask why you're not talking. It's just as effective if not more than shouting it to the world. If you go up to somebody and start talking to them, and they don't respond, you are definitely going to wonder why. It's a silent, peaceful, and very much working method.

It just seems so silly to me though. It seems to further ostracize the participants from their peers.

chadgraphix
April 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Can't we all just get along? *awkward wink*

I think this thread should be closed due to high amounts of debate. We should have a debate forum, prolly.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
The constitution is 200 years old. Should be scrap that? ever herd the saying "if it works, then why try changing it?"

Well, the founding fathers knew that their document would have to change, because people's thoughts and morals change over time. That is why we have something called amendments. That is also why our document is the oldest still in use Constitution, or whatever another country calls their's.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, but fundamentally it did not change. Also if morals change that is a scary thing, because then how do you know that you are morally right in the sight of people who look back ten years from now?

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
That's not the point of it. Its purpose is to draw attention to bullying and other things queer kids in school have to put up with.

I didn't participate because I forgot about it. At least I can vote.

Ah, all right. I'd support it for that xD Since I don't think any human should be bullied for any reason :<

Merzbau
April 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Me and my homosexual life-partner hate homosexuals and all activities thereof.

...or something like that.

Paraphrasing Ted Haggard, or something like that.

Guess what, everybody!

Some people are gay - get used to it.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
It just seems so silly to me though. It seems to further ostracize the participants from their peers.

To spread awareness, you need to stand out, not blend in. Before WWI, Women in America actually picketed the White House. They didn't say a word, but their signs did. They stood out, and they got arrested and were treated terribly in prison. They stood out. They ended most of the discrimination. They stood out, they didn't blend in. It's the same here(although in today's society, I'm glad we can't get arrested!).

Stairmaster
April 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, but fundamentally it did not change. Also if morals change that is a scary thing, because then how do you know that you are morally right in the sight of people who look back ten years from now?

Well, the founding fathers knew that their document would have to change, because people's thoughts and morals change over time. That is why we have something called amendments. That is also why our document is the oldest still in use Constitution, or whatever another country calls their's.

What does the constitution have to do with a completely law-abiding, silent, peaceful protest?

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Okay here is some examples of morals being changed.

1: African American Rights.
2: Women Rights.
3: No Children working.
4: Minimal Wage
5: Universal Health Care.

And how the hell did you drag politics into this.

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Also, will you try to prevent me from eating pork and shellfish?

Having been Christian for 15 years before converting, I can honestly say I never read nor was I told about not being permitted to eat pork or shellfish in that particular religion.

The "don't eat pork" is for Jewish and Muslim individuals, since pigs are extremely dirty and are high in cholesterol (at least, I believe that's the reasoning behind why Allah banned it).

As for shellfish, that's certainly not in Islam, and I never heard about it in Christianity. I eat fish all of the time - everyone in my family does, them being Christian and I being the sole Muslim.

Where does it say no shellfish / pork in the Bible? I would have assumed both the Baptist and Free Methodist church would've told me about this during my eight-year period of attending.

Mario The World Champion
April 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Can't we all just get along? *awkward wink*

I think this thread should be closed due to high amounts of debate. We should have a debate forum, prolly.
Anytime religion and or politics are introduced into a discussion, it all goes downhill fast. Having a forum dedicated to that will only turn it into a flame war. I personally don't like talking about that stuff. So, you asking if we can't all get along can never be realized.

Merzbau
April 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
To be a light in the darkness as I usually am, the shellfish and pork argument is a common rebuttal to the bringing up of Christians of Old Testament passages such as Leviticus 18:22 which calls homosexuality an abomination; laws in this book and this surrounding are sometimes funny or downright ludicrous, and no Christian follows them today. Calling homosexuality an abomination in that context is similar to calling shellfish an abomination.

Thread defeated.

Stairmaster
April 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Anytime religion and or politics are introduced into a discussion, it all goes downhill fast. Having a forum dedicated to that will only turn it into a flame war. I personally don't like talking about that stuff. So, you asking if we can't all get along can never be realized.

I think that's the problem though. This topic had nothing to do with politics or religion. Just someone's personal preference to participate in the event. I don't even know how the topic got on politics or religion, but I don't think it's against any laws or anyone's religion to protest against violence.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thread defeated.

The point of the thread was to say whether you participated in the Day of Silence then someone brought up religion... "-__-

Merzbau
April 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
It's all happening because people read their prejudice into books - especially ancient ones that are impressionable and easy to seduce, like the Bible.

Reading the Bible literally is like reading The Boy Who Cried Wolf and thinking that one should never say the word "wolf."

Anyway, to get back on topic - as I am an executive board member of my university's gay-straight alliance type group, I participated in the activities, t-shirt making, and stuff. We weren't silent, though - we were obnoxious. Silence works in high schools, not universities. I hope that was clear for everyone.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
It's all happening because people read their prejudice into books - especially ancient ones that are impressionable and easy to seduce, like the Bible.

Reading the Bible literally is like reading The Boy Who Cried Wolf and thinking that one should never say the word "wolf."

Okay, that is probably one of the funniest things I have read all day.

Felly
April 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I forgot it was yesterday till I had gotten to school & saw my friend at her first block class doing her homework. She had duck tape over her mouth & that was when I remembered. I saw a bunch of the "table/tree kids" (which is a group of gothic/emo/scene/whatever kids at my school that stand by a tree outside in the morning & during 20 minute break when it's nice outside; I chill with them sometimes despite the fact that I'm not gothic/emo/scene/whatever) with black duck tape over their mouths too. Once I saw 'em, I remembered completely. I had already understood what was going on & so whenever I talked to one of them, they would write their response down on a piece of paper.

I believe most of the teachers at my school knew about it; I know my Theatre & English teachers knew about it, but I dunno if my Chemistry teacher knew. My friend had my History teacher from last year that day & I was chillin' in that class for a bit to talk to my friend; I would assume she knew. My friend also has my Spanish teacher from last year, but I never went to that class with her yesterday in between blocks, so I dunno if she knew. As for my ex-Foods teacher, she's too dumb, so I highly doubt she knew. There was one History teacher, whom I hate with a passion, who had no idea what it was about. I was with two of my friends at the time when she had come into the room looking for my ex-History teacher and she had asked us what it was for. None of us had bothered to answer her.

I didn't partake in it due to the fact that I had Theatre that day and we're basically required to talk in that class. I don't talk much anyways, so yeah. However, despite the fact that I didn't partake in it, I still support gays, lesbians, bisexuals, whatevers. Some of my closer friends are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or whatever & I really don't care if they are or not.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
^ Ah, that's okay. I couldn't stay silent, but I still work the Day of Silence paper, and stood up for anyone participating.

Merzbau
April 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I forgot it was yesterday till I had gotten to school & saw my friend at her first block class doing her homework. She had duck tape over her mouth & that was when I remembered. I saw a bunch of the "table/tree kids" (which is a group of gothic/emo/scene/whatever kids at my school that stand by a tree outside in the morning & during 20 minute break when it's nice outside; I chill with them sometimes despite the fact that I'm not gothic/emo/scene/whatever) with black duck tape over their mouths too. Once I saw 'em, I remembered completely. I had already understood what was going on & so whenever I talked to one of them, they would write their response down on a piece of paper.

I believe most of the teachers at my school knew about it; I know my Theatre & English teachers knew about it, but I dunno if my Chemistry teacher knew. My friend had my History teacher from last year that day & I was chillin' in that class for a bit to talk to my friend; I would assume she knew. My friend also has my Spanish teacher from last year, but I never went to that class with her yesterday in between blocks, so I dunno if she knew. As for my ex-Foods teacher, she's too dumb, so I highly doubt she knew. There was one History teacher, whom I hate with a passion, who had no idea what it was about. I was with two of my friends at the time when she had come into the room looking for my ex-History teacher and she had asked us what it was for. None of us had bothered to answer her.

I didn't partake in it due to the fact that I had Theatre that day and we're basically required to talk in that class. I don't talk much anyways, so yeah. However, despite the fact that I didn't partake in it, I still support gays, lesbians, bisexuals, whatevers. Some of my closer friends are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or whatever & I really don't care if they are or not.

If you're still in school next year and wish to participate, talk to your teachers beforehand and ask them if they have a problem with it. If they give you any problems, then skip that teacher. Talking in class to a teacher, and answering teacher questions, at least in my experience, is not forbidden...after all, some teachers will get you in trouble for not answering them.

In my opinion, it's the voluntary conversing that should be silent. Speak in class if you have to, but don't otherwise.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
If you're still in school next year and wish to participate, talk to your teachers beforehand and ask them if they have a problem with it. If they give you any problems, then skip that teacher. Talking in class to a teacher, and answering teacher questions, at least in my experience, is not forbidden...after all, some teachers will get you in trouble for not answering them.

In my opinion, it's the voluntary conversing that should be silent. Speak in class if you have to, but don't otherwise.

Yeah, I believe that the DoS site says that you can talk to teachers, but that is about it.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Lol, our school makes a bit deal out of it. We even made T-shirts and a lot of the Staff wore them if they wanted to show their support. I'm not part of the actual club that sets up the school stuff for this, but I definitely participate. I just don't go to the club because I don't want people thinking I'm gay or anything when I actually am straight and just support the cause itself because of my friend, and others.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Lol, our school makes a bit deal out of it. We even made T-shirts and a lot of the Staff wore them if they wanted to show their support. I'm not part of the actual club that sets up the school stuff for this, but I definitely participate. I just don't go to the club because I don't want people thinking I'm gay or anything when I actually am straight and just support the cause itself because of my friend, and others.

I think that next year, I am going to wear the T-Shirt instead of just the piece of paper.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Okay here is some examples of morals being changed.

1: African American Rights.
2: Women Rights.
3: No Children working.
4: Minimal Wage
5: Universal Health Care.

And how the hell did you drag politics into this.

1: African American Rights.- The bible said all men are created equal and so did the consitution, some people just chose to be not moral.
2: Women Rights. same as the first
3: No Children working. Why can't children work, I am working it is savory that is wrong, and god saved the jews out of Egyptian savory.
4: Minimal Wage- how dose this have to due with morals?!?
5: Universal Health Care. many people believe this is un constitutional and not moral so it hasen't change it just means some people are acting un moral.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I think that next year, I am going to wear the T-Shirt instead of just the piece of paper.

Same. Sadly, I had to go without the shirt this year because by the time I was convinced to support it this year, the shirts were sold out. I had the paper though, that's something, and at least I attempted really hard to do the right thing. ^_^ I didn't use the tape either, simply because I can't breathe through my nose that well all the time.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:49 PM
1: African American Rights.- The bible said all men are created equal and so did the consitution, some people just chose to be not moral.
3: No Children working. Why can't children work, I am working it is savory that is wrong, and god saved the jews out of Egyptian savory.
5: Universal Health Care. many people believe this is un constitutional and not moral so it hasen't change it just means some people are acting un moral.

1) The makers of the Constitution didn't include Africans because a lot of them were slave owners, and didn't want to give them up.
2) Women according to the bible are "servants to men" if I remember correctly from my Christian days.
3) Children use to work in the coal mines and other dangerous jobs. Then America made that illegal.
4) People use to think that the government shouldn't interfere with business, but then that changed.
5) The sad thing is that a lot of people in other countries celebrated this passage. They were celebrating, because we finally caught up with the rest of the civilized world. They already had it.

Stairmaster
April 17th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Just wondering, how big is the sheet of paper? Because if it's not noticeable/legible then I don't see how it would mean anything to anyone who isn't participating.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Same. Sadly, I had to go without the shirt this year because by the time I was convinced to support it this year, the shirts were sold out. I had the paper though, that's something, and at least I attempted really hard to do the right thing. ^_^ I didn't use the tape either, simply because I can't breathe through my nose that well all the time.

I thought that the duct tape was stupid, and went without it. :P

Just wondering, how big is the sheet of paper? Because if it's not noticeable/legible then I don't see how it would mean anything to anyone who isn't participating.

A little bigger than the picture in the first post.

shookie
April 17th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Not that I'm a big fan of going off topic, but do you know what child labor even is/was? I'm also thinking you meant slavery, not savory.

Anyway, teenager =/= child. Child labor is talking children as young as three working on coal mines, factories, cotton mills, the like. They would work for at least 12 hours a day and be vastly underpaid for their services. A majority of children would be injured or even killed given whatever their job was.

But, like I said, this is off topic. >_>

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Not that I'm a big fan of going off topic, but do you know what child labor even is/was? I'm also thinking you meant slavery, not savory.

Anyway, teenager =/= child. Child labor is talking children as young as three working on coal mines, factories, cotton mills, the like. They would work for at least 12 hours a day and be vastly underpaid for their services. A majority of children would be injured or even killed given whatever their job was.

But, like I said, this is off topic. >_>

Yeah, I don't even know how it got this off-topic, but you are right. I would've said Teenager if I meant teenagers.

lx_theo
April 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Wow, they chose to be immoral? Just... wow.

Thats like saying a person chooses to like apple juice more than orange juice or visa versa.

Oh, I have a question for anyone who is against gay marriage. If it is a religious thing that makes it wrong for them to be married, how come atheists can get married?

1. Where do I get started? Lets go with separation of Church and State.
2. Goodie, more room.
3. That is only about morals. I think someone has already posted some details on that.
4. Similar idea as three, but different enough. People weren't being paid enough to live past the necessities. Then eventually a change in how importance the morality of that situation kicked it and required certain wages rather than just treating as the norm, which is how almost all changes in morality take place.
5. Wait, you think adding a small, if any, extra burden on everyone for the sake of allowing as many people as possible to get that all important health insurance is immoral?

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Separation of church, and state was made to protect the churches from the government in fear of people who think they can change morals. (that's the whole reason they left Europe to reach religious freedom.)

Mario The World Champion
April 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I don't have a problem with Gay Marriage. Heck, I live in Massachusetts, which was the first state in the country to allow it. I worked with a guy who was gay and I never had a problem with it. In fact, he was a cool guy.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM
@NA Yeah. The Constitution says this.

Freedom of Religion
This also means Freedom from Religion.

But how did this thread get, so far off-topic? Maybe it should be renamed to "Morals Thread".

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 07:12 PM
No I hate it when people try to compare civil rights movement to homosexuality. Being black isn't a sin. You are born black, you aren't born gay(weather you don't want to believe that with your twisted logic ,or not; you are not born gay)

^ I believe this is the origin of the off-topic'ness, after rooting through all of the pages. Most religion-based conversation seems to have started on what NarutoActor has stated here.

I slept all day, by the way. Does that count as being "silent"?

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I was quoting somebody, so you can root it farther, don't try to blame me sister. :P

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I slept all day, by the way. Does that count as being "silent"?

I think it counts.

I was quoting somebody, so you can root it farther, don't try to blame me sister. :P

I still think it is you who started it even further back though.

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM

But you went on to mention "sin" which bounced into the religion subject.

So as far as I can tell, you having mentioned "sin" is the root, since afterwards, it forced Luck to mention pork and shellfish, which forced into a Catholic talk, which just introduced religion altogether.

lx_theo
April 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Separation of church, and state was made to protect the churches from the government in fear of people who think they can change morals. (that's the whole reason they left Europe to reach religious freedom.)

Thats funny, because it wasn't anything like that. It was, in fact, the opposite. It was meant to protect the government from the influence of a single religious group, therefore protecting the right of Freedom of Religion among the people. The latter of your statement also proves false in common thought, since the reason that they left wasn't because the governments weren't effecting the Churchs as much as the Churchs had so much influence in some governments that they could force people to believe their religion, like in the Spanish Inquisition.

wee187
April 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
No, let's not rename it, let's just get back on topic then, heh. I don't want this thread to get locked. D: Anyway, yeah.

My only trouble I had during the DoS was yesterday at Lunch. It was a joke, but even so I didn't like it. My friend Travis jokingly took away my card and told me I'd have to say something to get it back. It was just a joke, but then this idiot named Drew came along, and he would have made Travis rip it, so I had to speak a little today, but after that I was silent for the whole school day after. I felt bad though, next time I want to definitely bring more than one card in case that happens. D: And the shirt.

See, to not to the teachers, we had to show some form of proof we were supporting DoS. That paper was my only proof.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
But you went on to mention "sin" which bounced into the religion subject.

So as far as I can tell, you having mentioned "sin" is the root, since afterwards, it forced Luck to mention pork and shellfish, which forced into a Catholic talk, which just introduced religion altogether.

You could of left it alone, you chose to argue it, which created the problem. If you guys where truly so accepting then you would of excepted my opinion and left it be.

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM
You could of left it alone, you chose to argue it, which created the problem. If you guys where truly so accepting then you would of excepted my opinion and left it be.

While you're in the process of editing your post, you should edit spelling errors, too. They're plentiful.

In any case, your "logic" had several flaws that others decided to voice their opinion about. Technically, they, too, are at fault, but on a matter of religion, a lot of people get stingy and have various opinions. Why you should be the only one to voice your opinion on how religion affects rights is beyond me.

chadgraphix
I would just like to point out that the "Yes" votes are outvoting the "No" votes.

lx_theo

Why say it if you wish it to be ignored rather than seen as what it is, a controversial topic that will be argued just because its a controversial topic of its type?

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM
No, let's not rename it, let's just get back on topic then, heh. I don't want this thread to get locked. D: Anyway, yeah.

My only trouble I had during the DoS was yesterday at Lunch. It was a joke, but even so I didn't like it. My friend Travis jokingly took away my card and told me I'd have to say something to get it back. It was just a joke, but then this idiot named Drew came along, and he would have made Travis rip it, so I had to speak a little today, but after that I was silent for the whole school day after. I felt bad though, next time I want to definitely bring more than one card in case that happens. D: And the shirt.

See, to not to the teachers, we had to show some form of proof we were supporting DoS. That paper was my only proof.

That's mean. Even if it is a joke.

shookie
April 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
The day I "died" for the drunk driving demonstration, my friends came up to me all day like "If you're dumb say nothing hurrrr." I ended up speaking with my middle finger instead of my voice most of the day.

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Why say it if you wish it to be ignored rather than seen as what it is, a controversial topic that will be argued just because its a controversial topic of its type?
Because I am allowed to post my opinions, you are the guys complaining about the debating when you where the guys who chose to start it.

lx_theo
April 17th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Because I am allowed to post my opinions, you are the guys complaining about the debating when you where the guys who chose to start it.

So you think you're not at fault at all? Ever hear of instigating an argument, fight, or whatever?

NarutoActor
April 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I am just saing don't try to put all the blame on me. Okay? <3

lx_theo
April 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I am just saing don't try to put all the blame on me. Okay? <3

:cer_no: Typical.

Whatever, I'm out of here

Stairmaster
April 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM

I think the reason why people argued against you (other than the fact that the point of posting something like what you posted is pretty much to start a debate) is that you had a very opinionated statement and you referred to the logic used to indicate that gay people are born gay as "sick" (despite the fact that it has been scientifically proven and that, even if homosexuality is something that occurs because of a series of events over one's childhood, it's not the person's own doing).

You also said that it was "1000 times worse for a black person" (that's the past, and doesn't really apply to this debate), stated that you intentionally disrupted the protest (I don't agree with the protest methods but you're basically saying that you don't care about the people who are the victims of these hate crimes), brought religion into the discussion ("Being black isn't a sin") when you neither explained what that had to do with the protest (Not all sins are illegal, this isn't Vatican City) or why it even mattered that it was a sin (though in my studies I have only gathered that homosexuality was a crime in ancient Christian settings, not a sin), and stated that you felt you need to tell gay people that "what they are doing is wrong" (when, frankly, they have probably heard enough of that in their lifetime and don't need to hear it from you).

So if you were still wondering why no one left it alone, that's why. However, relating back to the protest, you never really gave a legitimate reason for disrupting the silence.

Guillermo
April 18th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I don't see how being silent for people who like the same gender as themselves proves or solves anything. If people want to be losers and pretend they know it all by making fun of gays, trans, lesbians, whatever, then that's their stupidity and one day that's going to come back and bite them in the ass. That's just that.

I love gay people, I really do. They're (most of the time) friendly and really get involved with stuff, and I support gay marriage. But I'm not going to be silent for them because to be honest it's a topic that needs people fighting for it, not being silent.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 18th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I would just like to point out that the "Yes" votes are outvoting the "No" votes.

Yeah, I noticed that. :D

I think the reason why people argued against you (other than the fact that the point of posting something like what you posted is pretty much to start a debate) is that you had a very opinionated statement and you referred to the logic used to indicate that gay people are born gay as "sick" (despite the fact that it has been scientifically proven and that, even if homosexuality is something that occurs because of a series of events over one's childhood, it's not the person's own doing).

You also said that it was "1000 times worse for a black person" (that's the past, and doesn't really apply to this debate), stated that you intentionally disrupted the protest (I don't agree with the protest methods but you're basically saying that you don't care about the people who are the victims of these hate crimes), brought religion into the discussion ("Being black isn't a sin") when you neither explained what that had to do with the protest (Not all sins are illegal, this isn't Vatican City) or why it even mattered that it was a sin (though in my studies I have only gathered that homosexuality was a crime in ancient Christian settings, not a sin), and stated that you felt you need to tell gay people that "what they are doing is wrong" (when, frankly, they have probably heard enough of that in their lifetime and don't need to hear it from you).

So if you were still wondering why no one left it alone, that's why. However, relating back to the protest, you never really gave a legitimate reason for disrupting the silence.

Owned.

I don't see how being silent for people who like the same gender as themselves proves or solves anything. If people want to be losers and pretend they know it all by making fun of gays, trans, lesbians, whatever, then that's their stupidity and one day that's going to come back and bite them in the ass. That's just that.

I love gay people, I really do. They're (most of the time) friendly and really get involved with stuff, and I support gay marriage. But I'm not going to be silent for them because to be honest it's a topic that needs people fighting for it, not being silent.

Well being silent would make people ask why you are being silent. Then you show the piece of paper, and they read it. Sometimes being silent is just an effective if not more effective way than shouting through a megaphone.

FreakyLocz14
April 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I don't think we're going to have one at my school this year but if we do I'll be silent outside of class but I would have to speak in class because most classes grade on participation, but I'd only speak during class discussion or when the teacher asks me a question.

I understand the concept. It's a non-violent protest. History has shown non-violent protests to be much more effective than violent ones.
Unfortunately, when the usual homophobes see pro-homo rallies and people protesting they just brush them off as "silly queers" or words to that effect.
If they see lots of people being silent for that same cause they may even see some people they care dearly for participating and they won't just write them off as "silly queers".

The Fame Monster
April 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I don't think we're going to have one at my school this year but if we do I'll be silent outside of class but I would have to speak in class because most classes grade on participation, but I'd only speak during class discussion or when the teacher asks me a question.

I understand the concept. It's a non-violent protest. History has shown non-violent protests to be much more effective than violent ones.
Unfortunately, when the usual homophobes see pro-homo rallies and people protesting they just brush them off as "silly queers" or words to that effect.
If they see lots of people being silent for that same cause they may even see some people they care dearly for participating and they won't just write them off as "silly queers".
dont talk in the future tense. it was last friday.

i did it at my school. a lot of people did it at my school too!! i was happy.

i actually got my entire french class to do it so we didnt have to do oral excercises!! muahahahaha

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
April 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I took part in it, but on the 14th, not the 16th.
Sure, it seems silly and counter-productive, but it's really trying to make a point.

but a lot of people who bully and try to make you talk on that day are actually being extremely disrespectful to the point.
and deserve to be Gibbs-slapped. >:O

But anyway,
homophobes suck, go gay rights. Woo.

NarutoActor
April 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Testing how much they truly supported this vow. Also the African American thing was a reply of someone who said that gays are suffering the same way blacks did.

FreakyLocz14
April 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
dont talk in the future tense. it was last friday.

i did it at my school. a lot of people did it at my school too!! i was happy.

i actually got my entire french class to do it so we didnt have to do oral excercises!! muahahahaha

It might have been last Friday where you live but here it's whenever the Student Body Council approves it to be. If we get clearance from the Student Gov't the teachers might have to respect it.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM

A lot of the more famous protests were non-violent. Remember the sit-down. A lot of African Americans sat down at restaurants, and wouldn't leave, and wouldn't buy anything until they let them come in and eat. :D

I wish more people in Oklahoma supported, so we wouldn't have to do those in my Spanish class.

homophobics suck, go gay rights. Woo.

I agree.

November Darling
April 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I did the Day of Silence the past couple of years at my high school, but this year I'm in college and my only Friday class was canceled. There really would have been no point in participating by myself at home. XD

I think it does raise awareness of the issues, though. At least it did at my already pretty gay-friendly school.

The Fame Monster
April 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
It might have been last Friday where you live but here it's whenever the Student Body Council approves it to be. If we get clearance from the Student Gov't the teachers might have to respect it.
it's an internationally set date.

the date does not vary.

Silver
April 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM

the date does not vary.

While it is an internationally set date, lots of high schools end up observing it at later dates, because of getting it approved by the school council etc. Because we're high schoolers and don't plan ahead. lol

FreakyLocz14
April 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM

the date does not vary.

While it is an internationally set date, lots of high schools end up observing it at later dates, because of getting it approved by the school council etc. Because we're high schoolers and don't plan ahead. lol

Well I'm in college and most teachers grade on participation so having some sort of legitmacy behind your silence like Student Gov't approval or even better approval from the school administration is a must. This is neccessary so as not to risk scholastic penalty.

{NM}Redwolf
April 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
But anyway,
homophobes suck, go gay rights. Woo.
REALLY? With an attitude like that why would you act so offended when someone calls you a ****** or queer? With an attitude like that you're just looking for a fight and i garentee you say that in public you'll have a hell storm on you in no time. Somethings deserve to be keep to yourself. Do the world a favor and know the limit of when to keep quiet.

Trope
April 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I think no one does it here in Belgium, since same sex marriage is legal here... We do the silent thing to remember drunk driving accidents tho.

Gotta love my country. <3 Sometimes.

Xairmo
April 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I support what the Day of Silence stands for and all, I just find it pointless to be silent. If anything it just makes all those homophobic, right-wing conservatives think "Thank God, the gays are finally shutting up for a day."

Rumi
April 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I wish I hadn't forgotten! Oh well, I didn't have school that day and I'm kind of a quiet person in general. I need to remind myself of it next year.

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think no one does it here in Belgium, since same sex marriage is legal here... We do the silent thing to remember drunk driving accidents tho.

Gotta love my country. <3 Sometimes.

Ah, I love your country now. :3

EmeraldSerenade
April 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM
My school did it today, and people had to papers stuck on their shirts, backpacks, etc. I wanted to partake in it, but I didn't. Mainly because I don't think I could last the whole day without talking, and if I did (while doing it), I would feel really bad that I broke the silence.

Retrospect. My whole school didn't stay silent for the who day, but my friend Kari did.
I didn't participate in this though, and I felt a bit bad :/

NarutoActor
April 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
REALLY? With an attitude like that why would you act so offended when someone calls you a ****** or queer? With an attitude like that you're just looking for a fight and i garentee you say that in public you'll have a hell storm on you in no time. Somethings deserve to be keep to yourself. Do the world a favor and know the limit of when to keep quiet.No, it's called freedom of speach anybody group should be able to speak there mind. If any body wants to fight them for that they are going against there right and is breaking the law. They have the right to speak, and the right to stay silent. They chose to stay silent that day.

Stairmaster
April 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
No, it's called freedom of speach anybody group should be able to speak there mind. If any body wants to fight them for that they are going against there right and is breaking the law. They have the right to speak, and the right to stay silent. They chose to stay silent that day.
It's ironic that you stated that they have the right to remain silent (I completely agree) but that you infringed upon that right in your aggressive attempt to get them to talk.

I've studied psychiatric behavior and sociology (etc) informally and obviously what you were doing was not "testing to see how devoted they were" but using an easy outlet to overpower someone verbally. Of course, they were sick of your harassment and responded, but not any less devoted to their cause.

FreakyLocz14
April 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
It's ironic that you stated that they have the right to remain silent (I completely agree) but that you infringed upon that right in your aggressive attempt to get them to talk.

I've studied psychiatric behavior and sociology (etc) informally and obviously what you were doing was not "testing to see how devoted they were" but using an easy outlet to overpower someone verbally. Of course, they were sick of your harassment and responded, but not any less devoted to their cause.

It would be hard to argue that someone other than a police officer or prosecutor in a criminal case violated someone's right to remain silent. The rights to remain silent is to shield people from the government, not other citizens.

The Fame Monster
April 20th, 2010, 02:59 AM
No, it's called freedom of speach anybody group should be able to speak there mind. If any body wants to fight them for that they are going against there right and is breaking the law. They have the right to speak, and the right to stay silent. They chose to stay silent that day.
no its not.

your not very smart.

TRIFORCE89
April 20th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I dislike all these sorts of events. They always give me a vibe of the focus should be on the people participating rather than the cause. Like walk-a-thons. Why must I walk? Can't I just donate money?

Like last week was pink day to show that people are bullied are something. That just seemed more like a goofy social event than anything else.

PokemonLeagueChamp
April 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
REALLY? With an attitude like that why would you act so offended when someone calls you a ****** or queer? With an attitude like that you're just looking for a fight and i garentee you say that in public you'll have a hell storm on you in no time. Somethings deserve to be keep to yourself. Do the world a favor and know the limit of when to keep quiet.

If anyone will have a hellstorm on them it will be you and me. If you are anti-gay, considered anti-gay, or look at somebody who's gay in a way that they get upset about, you will get decimated by the IRL b&hammer known as political correctness, which, these days can and will come from anywhere and anyone. This whole thing for "equality" is BS because of the minority rule. And besides, the only one looking for a fight is you. I am not going to hunt down and harass every gay person around, as long as they do not DEMAND everyone accept and agree with their beliefs, and seeing as I doubt anyone here intends to force their opinions on anyone(I don't, not that it would even work anyway), so we shouldn't have any problems here.

ILoveDragonite
April 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I didn't even know that WAS a day. But i support it because gay people are loud....so a day of stfu is nice

also i don't hate gays, i've just never met one that wasn't loud
cept one, she was pretty cool

NarutoActor
April 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM

I've studied psychiatric behavior and sociology (etc) informally and obviously what you were doing was not "testing to see how devoted they were" but using an easy outlet to overpower someone verbally. Of course, they were sick of your harassment and responded, but not any less devoted to their cause.I have the right to talk, and they have the right to stay silent. You could say I was talking to myself(since they weren't replying, of course that would be slip of the hand)

I wasn't yelling at them, my voice was completely monotone. So how was I overpowering them verbally?

and I do not find what I said ironic. I belive if you are a american cittizin you have cretin rights weather you be right, or wrong.

Stairmaster
April 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
It would be hard to argue that someone other than a police officer or prosecutor in a criminal case violated someone's right to remain silent. The rights to remain silent is to shield people from the government, not other citizens.
Oh, I definitely agree with you, I was just questioning Naruto's reference of freedom of speech.
I have the right to talk, and they have the right to stay silent. You could say I was talking to myself(since they weren't replying, of course that would be slip of the hand)

I wasn't yelling at them, my voice was completely monotone. So how was I overpowering them verbally?

and I do not find what I said ironic. I belive if you are a american cittizin you have cretin rights weather you be right, or wrong.
Was your conversation directed at them? It doesn't matter whether they responded or not. I don't know the situation but it sounds like you were definitely talking to them, and not yourself.

They weren't talking, you were. That would be overpowering.

I do agree with your final point, but I do not see how you can explain your actions with that standpoint.

NarutoActor
April 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM
It doesn't madder if it was directed at them. With anything that happens with a slip of the writs you can make your self seem innocent. :D Take a law class you will see how wording madders so much in court.

They chose to be silent so there was no need to overpower. xD
(do you want me to speak sign languages?)

It explains why I posted saying they are allowed to speak, or not.

I HEART MEGA HITT
April 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I didn't even know when it was. >_< It's usually something they have you do in school, for those that support it. But I never did it because I didn't care that much about it at the time. I don't really care because love has no boundaries. D:

Guillermo
April 21st, 2010, 03:35 AM
Well being silent would make people ask why you are being silent. Then you show the piece of paper, and they read it. Sometimes being silent is just an effective if not more effective way than shouting through a megaphone.
No, that's stupid. This is a topic that needs arguing every single day. Getting someone to read a piece of paper stating that you're being silent for 24 hours because you don't want other people making fun of gays or whatever isn't going to solve anything. Besides half the people in the world right now can't even read, with how stupid we're all becoming with every passing generation. It's much more powerful to voice your opinion and lay it hard than to sit there twiddling your goddamn thumbs hoping someone asks why you're being silent. Which is the better option?

FreakyLocz14
April 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Why whenever there's an LGBT theme thread made, it turns into a troll/flame war?

Team Rocket's Raichu
April 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
^ Because people can't learn to accept everyone.

Guillermo
April 21st, 2010, 11:39 PM
Why whenever there's an LGBT theme thread made, it turns into a troll/flame war?
Happens with racism and abortion too, pal. Heated debates don't belong on a Pokemon forum.
If this is directed at me, I'm laughing.

Feign
April 21st, 2010, 11:57 PM
Wait wait wait... wait just one second... People are totally misinterpreting the reasoning and purpose for being silent on this day... It's not about voicing one's opinion at all (people can do that any other day of the year, and we already know it is effective compared to being silent). The purpose of this, is to show or emulate the ignorance some people place towards the LGBT community. That being persecuted disallows them from having a voice in the matter...

Idk... I thought that would have been obvious to everyone...

Guillermo
April 22nd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Wait wait wait... wait just one second... People are totally misinterpreting the reasoning and purpose for being silent on this day... It's not about voicing one's opinion at all (people can do that any other day of the year, and we already know it is effective compared to being silent). The purpose of this, is to show or emulate the ignorance some people place towards the LGBT community. That being persecuted disallows them from having a voice in the matter...

Idk... I thought that would have been obvious to everyone...
Yeah, I get that. My question is what is being silent going to do?

Feign
April 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I get that. My question is what is being silent going to do?

*slaps forehead*

The purpose of this, is to show or emulate the ignorance some people place towards the LGBT community. That being persecuted disallows them from having a voice in the matter...

It's a silent protest, not a movement to change things politically... voice is needed for that.

インフェルノの津波
April 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
What is this thread about again? Lost track awhile ago. Is there an argument going on?

EDIT: SILENT PROTEST? Why don't they just stop talking to those who oppose homosexuals and others in general?

PokemonLeagueChamp
April 22nd, 2010, 02:22 AM

No....not everyone is EVER going to accept everybody else and that is just human nature...unchangable by the likes of you or me.

Guillermo
April 22nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
*slaps forehead*

The purpose of this, is to show or emulate the ignorance some people place towards the LGBT community. That being persecuted disallows them from having a voice in the matter...

It's a silent protest, not a movement to change things politically... voice is needed for that.
Yeah, so tell me why we have a day of silence for the gays, transexuals, etc? They're no different to anyone else, really. They just like the same gender as themselves. I think it's bad we have a day of silence for them because hell, you're like pushing them from the rest of the population and giving them a 'special day' where everyone is silent for them. Just treat them equally and everything will be fine.

Again, I love gays. This is not by any means a gay bashing post.

Feign
April 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
While it is nice to know you have accepted LGBTs and such, there are still those who persecute them, even countries with less rights (of course), thus, this is like a demonstration of essentially what it feels like to be voiceless. It's like the same reason why it is hard for them to come out. Saying "Well then just come out, you shouldn't have to fear it." is not enough.