PDA

View Full Version : HELP! It's a mouse!

Negative Creep
April 17th, 2010, 12:40 AM
So after finding a mouse-shaped hole in my bread and hearing him run around at night, I've been able to determine I share my place with a mouse...

Mice are cute, but he's gotta go 'cause they carry nasty diseases and stuff O.O I don't want to kill him, and they don't sell Have-A-Heart traps where I live in Holland.

Does anyone have any ideas for makeshift mousetraps that won't harm him? :rambo:

Kura
April 17th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Can you order a trap online?

Guillermo
April 17th, 2010, 12:49 AM
My dad had this problem, and he ended up having to kill it even though he didn't want to. They're way too quick and they can fit almost anywhere, so you're not going to be able to find a safe alternative. There is a trap where you put food or something in a box and the mouse goes through the door to get it and the door locks itself once it's closed, with the mouse inside. They never fall for it though. :(

Kura
April 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM
My dad had this problem, and he ended up having to kill it even though he didn't want to. They're way too quick and they can fit almost anywhere, so you're not going to be able to find a safe alternative. There is a trap where you put food or something in a box and the mouse goes through the door to get it and the door locks itself once it's closed, with the mouse inside. They never fall for it though. :(

If you put it in the middle of a room, they wont fall for it. Rats and Mice like to run close to walls, so put it there and it should've fallen for it.

Guillermo
April 17th, 2010, 01:00 AM
If you put it in the middle of a room, they wont fall for it. Rats and Mice like to run close to walls, so put it there and it should've fallen for it.
It was against a wall, lol. We put it in lots of places, really. And we even had more than one in the house.

Kura
April 17th, 2010, 01:02 AM
It was against a wall, lol. We put it in lots of places, really. And we even had more than one in the house.

:/ Well that kinda sucks..

Hopefully this Creep person can solve their mouse issue..

Negative Creep
April 17th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Lol @ "This Creep Person" :D

I'm moving back to the States in 3 weeks so I'm not sure if it's worth it to order a trap... I was hoping for a box-and-stick kind of setup you see in cartoons!

But it's true, they're really smart and fast, and the one trap I did build (with peanut butter and a paper towel tube) he didn't fall for. D:

robobbiebob
April 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM
once i had a mouse and i stayed up all night with a bucket so when it walked out of were it was hiding it put the bucket on it to catch it.
then we figured out we had more but my dad killed them. :(

The Darkest Gale
April 17th, 2010, 03:38 AM
my dad had this problem in his garage aswell but he didn't really care :(
what you could do is kill them in the 2 least painnful ways possible
a) this quick poison, it kills them while they are asleep but doesn't hurt them
b) a trap that breaks the neck, the pain is so short it not really painful
there the only options I can think of :( good luck though!

BakingBluePotatoe
April 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM
lets see if I can remember what happened the the mice I've seen....

got any plastic or foam cups? get that and something to cover it (a thick piece of paper should do) and try to grab it and take him outside (preferably a distance away from the house)

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Go to Walmart or a pet store; they'll have a trap where you set food, and it wanders inside a hole and SNAP! It'll get pushed into a safe area, but unable to get out.

We use that. It works like a charm.

Mice are cute, though :s

Trope
April 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Our cat eats all mice that dare enter out home, so I'm afraid I won't be able to offer much advice here. However, my grandpa always removed mice by using glue traps, which work quite well. The downside to those are that the mouse may struggle so much, that it wounds itself. =/

Zeph.
April 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
We had this problem once and I remember my dad getting his finger caught in one of the traps x'D.

Back to the point though - I'd only kill it if your sure it's carrying diseases. Who knows - it might just be a harmless, scared little mouse :P

.hack
April 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
We got this machine a while back which emits this screech that humans can't hear and mice can. It supposedly drives them out and we don't have a mouse problem any more however now we own a cat so I'm unsure if it's that, that worked.
Worth a shot though =3

The Fame Monster
April 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
We got this machine a while back which emits this screech that humans can't hear and mice can. It supposedly drives them out and we don't have a mouse problem any more however now we own a cat so I'm unsure if it's that, that worked.
Worth a shot though =3
yeah i see informertials that sell that. it doesnt work

if your moving soon dont worry about it. if you dont touch the mouse or its poop you wont get sick from any diseases it might carry. mice are actually cleaner than humans.

Splash
April 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I also have a mouse im clicking it touching it and it glows underneath...

Åzurε
April 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
^Also, fail.

if your moving soon dont worry about it. if you dont touch the mouse or its poop you wont get sick from any diseases it might carry. mice are actually cleaner than humans.

Well, so long as you stay out from under wherever it's been. And close up your food behind a layer of plastic. It's not much trouble to get a mouse out, you know. We use traditional, fatal mouse traps and it makes them much easier to deal with. You may also want to find where it's getting in and seal it up. I doubt whoever's moving in there next wants to deal with mice, so you may as well fix that while it's a non-issue.

perfectmonster
April 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I am surprised no-one has considered GETTING A CAT. :P

Moon Dreamer
April 18th, 2010, 09:00 PM
heres what you should do: go to any health food store and buy lots of mint oil
sprinkle it around your house and it will be mouse free in no time at all
i read that mice hate the smell of mint
its a humane way to get rid of mice without harsh chemicals

Åzurε
April 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I am surprised no-one has considered GETTING A CAT. :P

Cats are surprisingly unreliable, in that lots of cats I have seen simply show no interest in catching mice. If you find a good hunter, then you still gotta clean up what's left of them anyway. Not like it's a problem, but yeah.

Demigod
April 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Leave a door open so it can escape.

Reginaldvonburger
April 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM
When I was younger one of my hamsters escaped.

We captured it by getting a bucket and lining the bottom with paper towels (So she had a nice landing), and put nice treats in there. We put a little make-shift ladder up the side and in the morning she was curled up asleep in the corner of the bucket all tired out from her treat eating.

Gumball Watterson
April 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Glue traps work...one day or another.

2 years ago we set up a glue trap... we forgot about it... and found it behind the stove... with a dead mouse barely decomposed...

You may say it wasn't a pretty sight, but glue traps sure do work like a charm.

Alistair
April 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well, we caught the rat living in my room by moving all the furniture to the center, than trapping it in a waste basket. It was kind of hard, because the thing was fast, but I got it.

But besides that, our little Yorkshire Terrier does a great job at hunting the mice that live in the big room in the basement. The glue traps work, too. We use those in the more furnished rooms in the basement. But we add a little food to them, to lure the mice a bit quicker.

Melody
April 21st, 2010, 08:17 PM
Glue traps are useful, but a simple one is to put a bit of soda in a bottle cap or something small enough to hold a little bit of it, they'll drink it and kick the bucket since they can't burp. :P

RemEngel
April 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
The problem with non-kill traps is that there's a good chance the mouse might come back if you don't chuck it far enough. It's not pretty or pleasant, but it is much more sufficient to just kill it. Then you have to clean the trap because the mouse probably would've done its business in it. It is not very fun if you have the misfortune of catching three mice at once.