PDA

View Full Version : Help with a virus!!!

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I got a virus then I system restored an everything was fine.
but the file that is the virus is still on my memory stick and I am afraid to put it in the laptop again.
but loadsa important stuff is on there.
what can i do? (Besides buy a new memory stick)

Any help appreciated,
Destiny¬

Zet
April 17th, 2010, 05:36 AM
boot into safe mode, put the memory stick in and delete the file. Then virus scan, reboot, etc

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 05:41 AM
So safe mode acts as a shield?
(as in everything done in safe mde is safe and won't harm my computr?

Ziraider
April 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
boot into safe mode, put the memory stick in and delete the file. Then virus scan, reboot, etc
Then when you go into normal mode go to cmd and find that file uncheck and scan with your anti-virus and i also use spybot SD and Malware bytes.

xJordan360
April 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
its safer, yes. Nothing is 100% safe, however.

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 05:47 AM
but my laptop doesn't have Anti- virus.

Except crappy, unregistered windows security.

Ziraider
April 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM
use AVG free editon, there used to be avast that was free idk if they do that anymore. and malware bytes and spybot SD are free ;)

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM
But my dad said don't install A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G. He knows I am Virus prone.

We use AVG on our family PC

xJordan360
April 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Download Avast or AVG, both are free for home editions, and great virus protection. Also get yourself Malwarebytes, amazing malicious software scanner and I would suggest CCleaner, which is a registry cleaner, as well. I'd also suggest Defraggler, an alternative to the TERRIBLE Windows Defragging system while I'm recommending good freeware. :]

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I think it is protected by McAfee

xJordan360
April 17th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Yeah, except McAfee sucks and costs money. But maybe that's just my opinion. I got rid of McAfee as soon as I got my laptop.

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM
So what do I do?

No downloading, Mcrappy and a virus on a memory stick.

Zet
April 17th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I recommend not using AVG as it fails in virus detection and pretty much everything else.

And just use this free online virus scanner: http://www.eset.com/online-scanner
You just need to use it in internet explorer.

xJordan360
April 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I never really liked AVG, but I've had a lot of success with Avast!

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 06:09 AM
hmm...I don't trust those but ok, I will reboot into safe mode now.

Ziraider
April 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
They are legit programs, they are free editions you can buy them.

Yusshin
April 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Download Avast or AVG, both are free for home editions, and great virus protection. Also get yourself Malwarebytes, amazing malicious software scanner and I would suggest CCleaner, which is a registry cleaner, as well. I'd also suggest Defraggler, an alternative to the TERRIBLE Windows Defragging system while I'm recommending good freeware. :]

^ This guy's got it goin'. CCleaner + Malwarebytes + AVG Free Edition = the best thing you can get, free.

McAfee sucks, by the way. So does F-Secure. And Norton, the Anti-Virus that is a virus.

You'll want AVG... or Kaspersky, but that cost monies o-o

My dad uses Bit Defender; I don't like it, personally. Three weeks ago, the program "updated" and actually put a virus that crashed all of its users' computers. Luckily my dad did some ninja moves (or something >>) and he didn't crash - he was just unable to log-on normally. 'Had to use Safe Mode and get rid of it.

Summary: Bit Defender sucks.

Zet
April 17th, 2010, 06:15 AM

As the moderator of Computers & Technology, I can safely say the listed things are safe.

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hey Zet, ummm my PC won't boot into Safe Mode, it just gives me a load of filepaths.
and is that link safe?

Ziraider
April 17th, 2010, 06:55 AM
^ This guy's got it goin'. CCleaner + Malwarebytes + AVG Free Edition = the best thing you can get, free.

McAfee sucks, by the way. So does F-Secure. And Norton, the Anti-Virus that is a virus.

You'll want AVG... or Kaspersky, but that cost monies o-o

My dad uses Bit Defender; I don't like it, personally. Three weeks ago, the program "updated" and actually put a virus that crashed all of its users' computers. Luckily my dad did some ninja moves (or something >>) and he didn't crash - he was just unable to log-on normally. 'Had to use Safe Mode and get rid of it.

Summary: Bit Defender sucks.
I pay for my anti- virus but i use other things for free and i hate cc-cleaner i use tweaknow i also use eset nod32 buss edition. I don't like bit or mcafee either and kaspersky cost too much and uses to much ram norton isnt worth anything anymore >_>

twocows
April 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Disable autorun/autostart and put it in, then delete or modify autorun.inf to get rid of the infected crap it automatically starts. If you need a free anti-virus, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/).

Zet
April 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Zet, ummm my PC won't boot into Safe Mode, it just gives me a load of filepaths.
and is that link safe?

It will list file paths and then boot into safe mode, so there's nothing to worry about.

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Zet, it still won't boot in safe mode.
Should I plug in on nrrmal mde

Zet
April 17th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Are you pressing F8 when you turn on the laptop?

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Yes I do exactly that

F8>Safe mode with Networking>1 Gazillion file paths that dont go away unless i shut down.

donavannj
April 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Yes I do exactly that

F8>Safe mode with Networking>1 Gazillion file paths that dont go away unless i shut down.

Does it look as if they are scrolling? 'Cause that means Safe Mode's still loading. Give it half an hour.

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
No, it scrolls for about 5 secs then stops.

Zet
April 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Don't boot into safe mode with networking, you really won't need any network connections

Destiny
April 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Ys, I need to use that link zet, that you gave me.

Lock this Zet, I solved it.

Zet
April 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Locking upon request from OP~