PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Capture card

Apple Inc.
April 18th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Does anybody have any suggestions for an HDMI Capture card? I am looking to make an older computer of mine a DVR to replace a TiVo Series 2 that's collecting dust. So an HDMI input would be preferred. I would just upgrade to a TiVo HD or the new TiVo but I don't want to be tied into the contract. PCIe is obviously what would need to be used for a device of this nature. Thanks in advance!

Petie
April 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for an HDMI capture card as I have no experience with them but I did want to mention one thing. The new TiVo Premiere, if I remember correctly, comes with an option for discounted lifetime service if you upgrade an eligible box (of which TiVo Series 2 boxes are included). This option is a little pricey but I figured it was still worth mentioning as you said you would upgrade if it wasn't for the contract. Good luck either way though!

Apple Inc.
April 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for an HDMI capture card as I have no experience with them but I did want to mention one thing. The new TiVo Premiere, if I remember correctly, comes with an option for discounted lifetime service if you upgrade an eligible box (of which TiVo Series 2 boxes are included). This option is a little pricey but I figured it was still worth mentioning as you said you would upgrade if it wasn't for the contract. Good luck either way though!

Well the problem is my dad surprised me with the Lifetime service on my TiVo box. The problem with that is. It's for the box and not the customer. Meaning the service can't be transferred. I'll still look into it though.

Petie
April 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Well the problem is my dad surprised me with the Lifetime service on my TiVo box. The problem with that is. It's for the box and not the customer. Meaning the service can't be transferred. I'll still look into it though.
That's usually correct but this is a special offer. Usually, lifetime service is non-transferable but in this case, you're essentially transferring it for a fee to the new box through their upgrade program. I'm not entirely sure if the old one is deactivated or not but I do know that a Series 2 box with lifetime service is eligible for this deal because I have one myself and got an email specifically stating that it was.

Apple Inc.
April 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM
That's usually correct but this is a special offer. Usually, lifetime service is non-transferable but in this case, you're essentially transferring it for a fee to the new box through their upgrade program. I'm not entirely sure if the old one is deactivated or not but I do know that a Series 2 box with lifetime service is eligible for this deal because I have one myself and got an email specifically stating that it was.

Okay I will look into it! We have the DVR from the cable company and lets face it..its expensive and terrible. It's a lot cheaper to rent Cable Cards than DVR boxes from the Cable Company.

Petie
April 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Okay I will look into it! We have the DVR from the cable company and lets face it..its expensive and terrible. It's a lot cheaper to rent Cable Cards than DVR boxes from the Cable Company.
Agreed one hundred percent.