PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever looked directly into the sun?

Forever
April 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
We all know we're not supposed to... but I'm sure some people have at some point! Ever looked into it during an eclipse, too?

I used to as a kid a lot, and now it's just... only when taking pictures of the clouds and accidentally.

Yoshimi
April 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I think I still do, lol :(
Usually though, the only time I stare into the sun is when my computer has serious glare. It gets quite annoying sometimes.

MegaSlowBro.
April 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have, but I blink and look away quickly so my eyes don't hurt. I haven't done it when there was an eclipse, from the fear of becoming totally blind =P

Harley Quinn
April 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hah, haven't seen an eclipse so no bother answering that. But I have looked into the sun and still do, but like everyone else, I blink away two seconds later. Seems like everyones looked at it though, why make a poll about it?

Esper
April 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I probably did as a kid because I wasn't supposed to. I mean, it didn't really hurt if you squinted so they were probably lying about how dangerous it was.

During an eclipse my neighbor let me borrow his welding mask so I could look directly as the sun without hurting myself. That was fun.

Eurydice
April 18th, 2010, 09:22 PM
i did when i was a kid (which might explain my bad eyesight). but anymore its just from the glare off my ds/phone. it also shines in my window and blinds me quite a bit.

EmeraldSerenade
April 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah... probably for a few seconds though, nothing longer.. maybe that's why my vision is so bad -.-

Alinthea
April 19th, 2010, 12:28 AM
No, not been stupid enough.

Talli
April 19th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Curtis has, but I have not since I have more sense that him.

インフェルノの津波
April 19th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Um.....Sorry, but no. Not stupid or foolish enough to do that....

Code
April 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I did. As a result, I now use glasses. XD

loliwin
April 19th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I had the guts to face the sun...............with sunglasses. xD

Halcyon
April 19th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I tried that once or twice, I look away quickly.
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I still have no need to wear glasses. :D

Wings Don't Cry
April 19th, 2010, 03:14 AM
When I was little my teacher told me to not look directly into the sun, so I did just that. It was quite weird, I don't know if the sun had affected my sight then but when I looked at it I just saw a black circle with light emitting out of it towards all directions.

Binary
April 19th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Yes, when I was younger. Since I had no idea about it.
Now, I catch glimpses by mistake.

enzo51
April 19th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Well yeah, it blinds. And burns.

Limey-chan
April 19th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I haven't looked directly at it during the day when it's at its most full/brightest, but i've watched it at sunset when it's sort of a dim orange. Quite a few times, actually.

I also watched the eclipse we had a few years ago, that was certainly a surreal experience.

Zeffy
April 19th, 2010, 06:09 AM
With sunglasses yes, but without sunglasses I just spot a glimpse of the it. Haven't seen a Full Eclipse yet, so no to that.

Cassino
April 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I'll seldom look at it to judge its location — good when one doesn't have a watch at hand. I don't find anything harmful about it; although it burns a green circle into my vision for a short period, I have suffered no adverse long-term effects.

Mizan de la Plume Kuro
April 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I did during last years eclipse. I stared for one, maybe two hours and I got too see the eclipse. It hurt like hell for weeks afterwards and I almost went blind, but it was totally worth it...

I don't recommend anyone else doing it though...

NarutoActor
April 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I rather stare at the moon. But when I was a kid I wondered what the sun looked like so I gave it a quick glance, it didn't hurt at all, it barley bothered me. I have great vision so I don't know whats the big deal, with everything it's okay in moderation ;D

Toshiro.
April 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
When I was younger I did since I didn't know that it could completely blind me. Now that I know better, I try not to.

Honest
April 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I used to a lot when I was around 12. I'd always challenge myself to look at the sun as long as I can (I knew about the risks). Needless to say, I could look for about 30 seconds before I start getting weird, and then I could never look at something directly for a few minutes or so.... hmm, I haven't done this in a while... *goes to window*

Corvus of the Black Night
April 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
When I was thirteen, I thought it would be the coolest thing ever if I was blind in my right eye, so I would stare at it for 10 minutes. Somehow that didn't work, and I thought about just gouging it out with a spoon. Then, I came to the realization that it's probably better if I had both of my eyes. Go figure.

Pazuru
April 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
i did.

many times.

everytime i did it turned blue.

and now i have glasses. :B

But really, I know not to look at the Sun anymore, unless I'm watching it leave the Horizon. XD;

Ayselipera
April 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have in the past out of sheer stupidity. I hate when you look away and all you can see are blobs of different colors. I don't have glasses though thankfully.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I have in the past, for no apparent reason. It does hurt a bit and your vision gets funny for a few minutes afterward, but no permanent damage to my eyesight... at least not yet.

Captain Hobo.
April 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Yes, I have when I was little and it hurt.

SIN1488
April 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Yes when I was much younger. When I looked directly it was just for a second or less. One time though I could kind of see the sun out the window in my bathroom, and it was one of those bumpy windows that makes it impossible to see details through it since it scatters light in different directions. Well I stared at it for a while since I figured it wouldn't hurt my eyes, but I was wrong. Afterward I looked at my hand, and it had no color. x_X

It wasn't a permanent effect of looking at it, but it scared me, because I didn't know it would do something like that at all.

Mattysaurus
April 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I did before but then I had a glare in my eye. Wasn't fun. But it stopped. ;3

I take pictures of myself holding the sun in the palm of my hand. Very artistic. ♥

Broc
April 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM
yeah I have. Whats it do to ur eyes during an ecipse?

Dukey
April 19th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah every now and then just to see if I can xD
Me eyes water up :/

Relith
April 19th, 2010, 11:59 PM
My cousin looked into an eclipse before, and lost his vision from it. So, he's blind now. At least in one eye. And a little in the other.
I've looked into the sun for at least 5 seconds before, but then I looked away, and all I saw was blobs of mixtures of colors. Now, I'm always seeing those things a lot. Wherever I go, in the dark, or out in the sun again. Oh well, it doesn't affect me anyhow.

Jordan
April 20th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I don't think many people would be able to resist the temptation to look at the sun. I've looked at the sun on purpose a few times in my life; however, I do my best to avoid its gaze nowadays since my vision has grown worse over the years. That latter is probably because of my overusing the computer, not the sun.

SIN1488
April 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
That latter is probably because of my overusing the computer, not the sun.

That's probably why my vision will go bad too, turning down screen brightness and sitting as far away from it as you can helps though.

I HEART MEGA HITT
April 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
yes... and I've actually gone blind for like five seconds. x_x It's so bright and here, it seems brighter, especially when it goes down. I don't even look directly at it and I'm squinting my eyes. >_<