PDA

View Full Version : This thread title is not creative...

Honest
April 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I think I might have spotted a thread like this before, and if it is still open, mods, feel free to close this one. xD

Well, PC has hundreds of thousands of threads. Some catch our attention and others do not. The first thing we see about a thread is the title of the thread, and usually hints what the thread is about, if not directly. So my question to you is this:

1) When you make a thread, do you try to come up with the most creative title, or simply just get to the point?
2) Do indirect thread titles make you more likely to see what the thread is about?
3) Are you annoyed when you can't tell what a thread is about via the title?
4) Is this thread title creative? xD

loliwin
April 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
1)Nah, I get to the point xD
2) Nope. :(
3) Nope, I roll over the thread title and I can see the contents. :D
4) Yes! xD

Melody
April 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I try to come up with something that not only tells what the thread is about, but is somewhat creative.
No, I find them annoying. I like to be able to tell what the thread is about without having to view the thread to see.
Yes, but I do like the creative ones...so it's not terribly annoying usually
Yes, it is in a humorous way. It's creative, and isn't too indirect.

Esper
April 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Why can't I be creative and to the point at the same time?

I always hover over a new thread to read what the beginning of the first post is before actually clicking on it so I can usually tell what any thread is about however weird the title is.

And your title is not creative at all.

Mattysaurus
April 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I've only made a few threads in my time here.
The first couple were really nooby. Uck. So no creativity there.

But my most recent on about the weather and how you feel about it was very creative, as said by the posters. ;3
I felt accomplished.

Ayselipera
April 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM
1. I start out trying to be creative, but then I eventually give up and just get to the point.
2. No, I do that little hover thing too before I click any thread. So if what I start reading is something I like then I go in for the kill so to speak.
3. More curious then anything.
4. It's creative in the sense that it caught my eye.

Cherrim
May 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM
1) When you make a thread, do you try to come up with the most creative title, or simply just get to the point?
I get to the point. I used to go for creative titles--especially when making polls and the like, but I grew out of it.

2) Do indirect thread titles make you more likely to see what the thread is about?
No, no, no, no, no. D: I hate them now. If I can't tell what a thread is about from the title (and perhaps mousing over and reading the alt text preview), I won't check it. Simple as that.

Oh oops, I answered this. Yes, I do get annoyed. (Some days I don't mind but for the most part, it's really annoying when titles aren't straight-forward. D:)

It was actually quite to-the-point! It wasn't a literal "Do you like vague thread titles?" but it was on-topic enough that I could tell what the thread was going to be about. Those are great. Had you titled it "OOGA BOOGA SKLDFJKS SUP LOL OMG", I would have been annoyed. (I have seen this poll done with a title like that before. D:)

Toshiro.
May 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I try to make a creative title, but I usually fail at it xD
Yes actually, it does.
Not really, I'll usually check most of the threads out anyway to see what they are about.

Sammi
May 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm more likely to get straight to the point. I'm not actually good at creative titles, so I typically don't try. Nothing wrong with a boring title. :p

Not really. I hover over all threads to check the alt text. If the thread sounds boring, even with its strange title, I won't click it. I don't check everything.

Only a little. Sure, I wish they would've gotten to the point in a different way, but it's not the end of the world. *shrugs*

I don't know, is it? ;D

Cassino
May 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
To the point. If it's a simple poll or somesuch question, likely the title is effectively my entire post.

Well yes, since I'm then forced to open it to know, so I do, but that's not a preference, haha, it's a nuisance.

I'm a hard person to annoy proper, but yes I do find it rather inconveniencing.

poopnoodle
May 5th, 2010, 04:09 PM
to the point, generally. though i do add an emoticon or two to spice it up!!~~~~~

no, i skim through thread titles to see if anything looks worth posting in, i'm too impatient to actually click and read what it's really about

no

Yusshin
May 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM
1) I stick to the point. Why make people search for something you can avoid so simply?
2) Not really. I click them to see what's inside, sure, but I always end up frowning and thinking: "Wth was the point of that?"
3) Yeah. It makes searching a specific thread difficult. I don't know why humans adore complicating everything.
4) It's an example of a thread title that's creative, but indirect, which kinda makes me frown.

Gary, the Magic Fairy
May 6th, 2010, 08:30 AM
1) I get to the point because I really don't care 98% of the time.
2) No, they make me angry and I try to avoid them.
3) Yes.
4) Not really, no.

Zorua
May 10th, 2010, 08:24 PM

I do whatever I can as long as the messages gets across. Sometimes they're witty, and sometimes they're just messages to get to the point. Usually it's the former, however.

Sort of. I can get a gist of what a thread is about just from the indirect/figurative language that's utilized in threat titles; thus eliminating the need to actually go to the thread itself to find out what it's about. However, if it's something that really does pique my interest, I might actually check it out.

Not necessarily. It says something about the thread creator's wit(that they've created such a creative title to baffle others), but its not nearly enough to come across as annoying to me. o.o

Um, sort of? xDD It was sorta witty, that's for sure.

Patchisou Yutohru
May 11th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Some of my official threads are more creative, but if I'm making a general thread about something on my mind, I tend to go for the more direct to the point thread titles.

This question makes my brain hurt. I'm not even going to bother trying to figure out what you're asking. I may just go back to bed...

Misleading thread titles is something that's frowned upon in OVP, so I usually change the thread title to a more relevant title because of that, anyway.

You're not very creative with thread titles, babe.