PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Creating music with FL Studio Demo

Team Fail
April 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Ok. This is my first tutorial ever. I hope it all goes well.

Creating MIDI Music with the FL Studio Demo

What you will need:
FL Studio: http://flstudio.image-line.com/documents/download.html
A Media Player to sample your music.

INSTALLATION
1. Download and install the program. Do note that there are no time limits to the free version. The only downside to this is that you cannot save the files as a project, but I have found a way around that. ASIO4ALL will also be installed with FL Studio. It is a MIDI driver that is mandatory for the program to work.
2. After you have installed the programs, click the FL Studio icon on your desktop to begin!

CREATING MUSIC
This is your opening screen.
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9751/startingscreen.jpg
The New Project will already be started. This confused me for a long time, but to add new tracks, do the following:
1. Go to Channels.
2. Add One will be opened. Select, "MIDI Out".

The track will then be added. Right-click (or left-click if you changed it) on the "Sampler" track and delete it. There is no need for it.

To assign an instrument to the track, do the following:
1. On the channel settings, go to the "MIDI Out" drop list. Go to the presets and click on one of the sets you want to use. Personally, I use the Microsoft Synthesizer or Roland JP-8000. Select one.
2. Where it says Patch, click the drop down menu beside it. There are all of your instruments. Select one to your liking.
3. This is a critical part. Click the keyboard at the bottom. If no sound comes out, do this:
[S-HIGHLIGHT]A. After selecting the instrument, Right-click and open the Piano Roll. Place a clip of the instrument anywheres on it.
B. IMPORTANT: At the top, it will say 140. This is your tempo. Change it now, as you WILL NOT be able to change it after this unless you want to do a MIDI event.
C. Go to save. Name it whatever you want but change the save type to MIDI files. This is important. You cannot save it as a project (.flp) and reopen it in the demo. This is your workaround. Saving it as a MIDI will allow you to save your work and open it in the future.
D. Close FL STUDIO and reopen it (Remember, this is only if no sound comes out.) Then, open the MIDI file and import all the tracks.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
4. Now, you can create your song to what you want to do. To add more tracks, do the same steps (1 and 2). I have provided a sample MIDI of a song I made with the demo. Please give credit if you do use it...
5. Length of the notes can be changed. There is the extremely long notes, and the super short notes. To add incredibly short notes, do the following:
A. Beside the tempo, there is a drop list that says Line. Click it.
B. There are presets, click on one. Now, when you resize a note, it can be adjusted to a shorter time than "Line" will allow.

MIDI EVENTS
Right click the tempo, and select edit events.

Bam, tempo change. This works for volume and panning, too.

Simply put, do as so:
1. On the tempo control, right-click and click "Edit Events".
2 At the top, on the list that says Events- Tempo (coarse), there is a list of events you can do for each track, from panning to insturment changing.
3. Chart one to your needs.

-Credits for finding this goes to Blue4. Verified by me.

SAVING
If you didn't look above, this is the workaround to save in the demo:
1. Go save, save as, or export.
2. Save as a MIDI format file. Then, you save it wherever.
3. When you want to open it, open FL Studio and open the MIDI. Import all the tracks.

FAQ
Q: It won't open the file! What do I do?
A: You cannot save the .flp format and reopen it in the demo. Save it as a MIDI file.

Q: Why can't I change the tempo? It always resets!
A: You change the tempo by using a MIDI event. Look above.

Q: Why can't I change the instruments after I save?
A: You need to change the MIDI event. Look above.

OTHER USEFUL LINKS
AnimeX's Custom Voicegroup tutorial (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=189547)
This is useful for making a custom voicegroup for your song.
Maginus guide to Music insertion (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121856)
This is useful to put your song in the game. Without it, this tutorial was pointless.
Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen voicegroup lists (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148811)
This is used to make your song sound correct.
Pokemon R/S/E voicegroup list (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=158512)
Same as above.
Clonex25's Tutorial for looping music (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118722)
This is to loop your song, so it plays over and over and over and over... Yeah, you get the point.
None of the above links are mine, and I do not take any credit for them.

WHAT STILL NEEDS TO BE DONE
Give me some ideas, here!

REVISIONS
(04/21/10)Added the file "Sample MIDI.zip.
(04/21/10)Added how to change the length of a given note.
(04/23/10)Added info on how to add MIDI events.
(04/23/10)Fixed the FAQ to the MIDI events for changing the tempo.
(04/26/10)Fixed the FAQ for the tempo change question.
(05/14/10)Added a link to Clonex25's Tutorial on how to loop music.
(10/06/10) Fixed the FAQ.

Please do not take this and claim it as your own. If you would like to translate this document or translate and post it on your own site, please contact me via PM.

Zeffy
April 21st, 2010, 05:29 AM
This will be really helpful to me, seeing as I'm used to working with FL Studio. :D
What I haven't figured out is how to add new tracks. Thanks for pointing that out, now I can create custom music for my hack. Kudos to you, Mr. Fail!

Team Fail
April 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
This will be really helpful to me, seeing as I'm used to working with FL Studio. :D
What I haven't figured out is how to add new tracks. Thanks for pointing that out, now I can create custom music for my hack. Kudos to you, Mr. Fail!

Tbh, I found out how to do this by experimenting- that's what comes into your head on a hot spring day. I also updated- check it out!

Fire Blazer
April 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
This looks pretty useful, thanks a bunch.

Blue4
April 22nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
Q: Why can't I change the tempo? It always resets!
A: You do this before you save for the first time. It implements the tempo and you can't change it after the first save.

Right click the tempo, and select edit events.

Bam, tempo change. This works for volume and panning, too.

lord_kratos
April 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
So it IS possible to put in custom music into a hack?Cuz i heard a epic ost from the new naruto movie "inheritors of the will of fire" so i wanted to know is it possible to put it in?

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
So it IS possible to put in custom music into a hack?Cuz i heard a epic ost from the new naruto movie "inheritors of the will of fire" so i wanted to know is it possible to put it in?

What file format is it in? It must be a MIDI format file. MUST.

lord_kratos
April 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
What file format is it in? It must be a MIDI format file. MUST.
It must be in MIDI format?Hmm,is there any program or any way to change an mp3 file to MIDI?Cuz,the only word to describe this sound is "epic"

Ninja Caterpie
April 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Why don't you google it? Most such programs are pretty crap though, so it's most likely going to sound off. =|

As such, I really need to find a rip of Lyra's theme rather than off the OST. D=

lord_kratos
April 23rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
How much different does a sound sound in MIDI ?

Team Fail
April 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Why don't you google it? Most such programs are pretty crap though, so it's most likely going to sound off. =|

As such, I really need to find a rip of Lyra's theme rather than off the OST. D=

I have a rip. PM me your email and I'll send it to you. I have Lyra's rip and Ethan's rip.

How much different does a sound sound in MIDI ?

You cannot import a mp3 or WAV because in a MIDI, the sounds are sequenced. It's the only format that can work. Your best means for importing the song is to reproduce a custom remake and create a custom voicegroup to suit it.

EDIT: I have added info on MIDI events. Look at the update!

EDIT2:
It must be in MIDI format?Hmm,is there any program or any way to change an mp3 file to MIDI?Cuz,the only word to describe this sound is "epic"

You cannot convert a song. You'll have to reproduce it.

Team Fail
June 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Just bumping. Don't be afraid to ask any questions!!! :)

Team Fail
October 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I have updated the FAQ. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have!!!
REVIVED

Elite Trainer Red
October 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Do you know which instruments would be best for a town midi?

p.s. :D I'm Umbreon

Team Fail
October 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Do you know which instruments would be best for a town midi?

p.s. :D I'm Umbreon

OMG HAI. Well, I wouldn't know. I never made any GBA songs because I can't insert (Stupid Vista!). I know if you look at the voicegroup documents there, it may give you some ideas. I'd experiment on a clean rom and work your way up. I do know that this can be done with DS and GBA, as well as some other consoles, so I couldn't explain how to "hack 'em all".