PDA

View Full Version : Would you risk your life for a noble cause?

インフェルノの津波
April 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Basically, would you sacrifice yourself to save someone else, from like a gunshot, or save some people from a bombing?

Pfft, are you kidding me? HELLA YES, BRING IT ON.

Also, the reason I make these threads is because I like reading what you people say. Some are funny, others sad, others boring, some exciting, some very intelligent, and others....just plain stupid. So yeah, I like making these kind of threads. I hope you like my threads too!

Yusshin
April 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
I'd sacrifice myself for my fiance and my children 100%, and other close family members - maybe. I'd not do it for friends, though. It sounds cruel, but I'm not destroying my family life and the lives of others for something fate brought on / their stupidity, pending the situation.

Guillermo
April 22nd, 2010, 03:49 AM
Depends on who's being shot and why, I guess.

If it was a family member, for sure. A good friend, for sure. If it was just a friend, I would try and prevent it but I dunno if I'd take the shot for them. I mean this is all assuming I can jump in front of them in time. However, I might also take a bullet for a friend. I don't know if I'd be able to live with myself if I saw someone get shot when I know I could have taken the bullet for them.

A random stranger? Probably not, no. Again, I'd try and prevent it but I wouldn't take the shot.

Cassino
April 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
To me 'noble cause' implies the will of my nation, which itself is too easily swayed by others (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) and for now at least rather frail within its own borders anyway, so I'm not inclined simply to sacrifice myself for it.

Sammi
April 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Probably not, no. I am a coward, I hate being in pain, and I don't really want to die for anyone. Selfish, yes, but... honestly nothing moves me so much that I'd want to sacrifice myself for it. :/

Then again, it'd probably depend on the situation as well. I'm sure there are certain situations that, despite my selfishness, I would willingly die for. You never know.

ILoveDragonite
April 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Erik is lying, he would cave under pressure and walk away like the good little boy he is.
I sure as hell wouldn't i would be getting my ass out of there. I've done my share of heroism (Saving people from being jumped and such) and let me tell you it's not good for the hero, ever.

xJordan360
April 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
What could ever possess me to want to jump in front of my own bullet? I shot it for a reason, and it sure wasn't to hit me!

Doppelgänger
April 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'd take a gunshot for a family member easily. I'd also do this for a close friend. That's about it though, probably not for a random stranger.

PuNkSter
April 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'd do it for anyone, even if I don't know them, dislike them, or if they dislike me, I'd still do it. Well someone has to do it. On the other hand, I'm too young to die!!!

インフェルノの津波
April 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm lying? ILD, you don't even know where I live, who I am, or what I do. You don't know anything about me, so spare me your idiotic comments. I would do that for another person, and I don't cave under pressure. That's why my friends know better than to pressure me, because they kn ow full well I can kick their ass. And they're not geeks.

Dakota
April 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I would. I know saying it, and meaning it are two different things, but I believe that if a situation ever occurred, God forbid, I would jump in. I'd throw my life away for someone I truly cared for, because I usually tend to look after others before my own.

Mattysaurus
April 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hmmm. Probably for someone I care for deeply.
But not for a complete stranger.
I know that sounds selfish, but oh well. I have a life. Jeeze. >____>

Izanagi
April 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
For family, probably, for my religion even more so.

Patchisou Yutohru
April 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
I don't think I would risk my life for another, with the exception of four or five people. Two of them are friends online, two of them are close friends offline, and one's someone I care about more than a lot of things going on in my life. I don't know what we are exactly, though.

I don't know if I would risk my life for a family member. I'm not exactly the closest when it comes to a relationship with others in my family.

ILoveDragonite
April 23rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
I'm lying? ILD, you don't even know where I live, who I am, or what I do. You don't know anything about me, so spare me your idiotic comments. I would do that for another person, and I don't cave under pressure. That's why my friends know better than to pressure me, because they kn ow full well I can kick their ass. And they're not geeks.
I see what you mean, you would beat the crap out of your friends, of course you would take a bullet for them ^_^

P.s
Kicking your friends ass's for pressuring you shows your awesome problem solving skills, erik.

インフェルノの津波
April 23rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
I only kick their ass if they get on my nerves. Just because I beat them up doesn't mean I wouldn't risk my own life for them. Besides, they don't get on my nerves very often now, since we're pretty much adults by now.

Jesh
April 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
ryo, you sound like a real ******* irl. :|

I would, for certain people online/ My family... hmm. My grandparents maybe, but thats because i've known them my whole life. My dad because he's.... awesome. I don't know about my brother. He's the biggest dick ever, but... deep down, I'd miss him. And feel horribly guilty. D:

So yeah, close friends, immediate family, but not a stranger.

hiphiphippo
April 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
i would for almost anyone
but if it were a bullet, chances are, the person would be dead by the time i reacted ;-;

regarding other "noble causes," i'll fight for whatever i believe in

ILoveDragonite
May 1st, 2010, 12:31 AM
ITT
People pretending to be super cool and brave because they read to much manga.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia
May 1st, 2010, 12:55 AM
Like if it's one of these 3 people on Earth.
Otherwise, no.

I might take out the bullet afterwards and keep it..
Technically, yeah, I'd take the bullet.

loliwin
May 1st, 2010, 01:01 AM
Here's who would I sacrifice my life to if I was in a bad situation:

Chuck Norris - indefinitely.
Bruce Lee - idol of mine.
One of the members in my family - obviously. xD
Adam Lambert - He's pretty awesome

If one of them did some bad evil to me, I wouldnt sacrifice my life. :(

Idiot!
May 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Not for perfect strangers. Definitely for people I cannot imagine living without.

Cherrim
May 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
No, I wouldn't. I'd only entertain the idea if, say, some evil group came along and had to kill a certain number of people so that everyone else would live free and happily... and even then there's no guarantee it'd even happen. :(

I think jumping in front of a bullet is silly (and I highly doubt, even with an adrenaline rush, that I'd have the reaction time and accuracy for something like that). And defusing a bomb or something? Haha, I don't have the expertise for that. :s I can't even really see myself doing something like staying behind in a dangerous area to make sure everyone gets out okay--I'm short, not loud, and not overly noticeable or anything so I doubt I'd make much of a difference.

I have a "crowd" mindset in that I'll often hesitate far too long when I know something needs to be volunteered for. Even in completely harmless situations, if I don't REALLY want to do something, I'll wait and I usually wait so long that someone else has stepped up to do the job.

Vague post is vague because I have trouble thinking specifically for something like this. But overall, my answer is no. Not because I don't think humanity is worthy enough for my sacrifice or anything, but just because realistically I'm a bit of a coward and I hesitate too much. :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
May 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
No. I'm not one to step up to the plate in split-second situations like someone firing a gun. Besides, there are only a few "people" that I would consider taking a bullet for, and most of them are fictional characters that I've claimed in the bishie thread.

With that said, I would risk life and limb to protect certain material possessions that I own.

Hantsuki
May 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
My dad and my dog because I've known them longer than anyone else. Anyone else, sorry. Hope you don't get shot in the head.

Narcissus Secret
May 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Well, to be honest, I'd like to think that I would, but I wouldn't. At least not now. As for the guns shooting, I would be too crippled with fear to do anything, let alone jump in front of the bullet. Also, they would just shoot again, and thus my sacrifice would be in vain. xD

As for a bombing, it really depends on what you mean. I would calmly explain to everyone that there is a bomb, and that they need to evacuate, and then I would leave. I wouldn't risk my hide for a bunch of people to full of themselves to believe anything could go wrong.

However, in the event that I do join the military/become some agent of some kind/fireman or etc. I probably would risk my life. More often than not, it is in their job description, per se. That is, it is what is expected of you by accepting that job.

RuRuBell
May 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
For my family, definitely. Not distant cousins, or anything (though I feel rather bad saying that...), but my immediate family.

My best friend? I would for her, too. I'd like to think I would for my other friends too, because they mean a lot to me, but I'm not sure unless the scenario actually happened.

Guillermo
May 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Pal, you don't need to get worked up over a silly comment. Relax.

Kicking someones ass for pressuring you is a real friend thing to do, though.