PDA

View Full Version : ~VMs~

Melody
April 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Here's a pretty straightforward question.

Have you ever disabled Visitor Messages?

If yes, then why did you do it? Please be as clear as possible, and if it's seriously a personal/private reason then say so.

How do you feel about the Visitor Message system in general?

If you would ever disable your Visitor Messages, under what circumstances would you do so?

No, I've never disabled Visitor Messages. I have enabled a few 'privacy' settings such as not allowing unregistered members view them, but all registered members can see them unless they're on my Ignore list.

Personally, I feel that the VMs are useful. They allow for people to socialize and chat about anything and everything, thus allowing people to make friends far more quickly.

It really sort of worries me when I see someone disable their VMs. I could understand it if they restricted it to contacts and friends only, but arbitrarily disabling it entirely seems absolutely silly.

I'd probably only disable my VMs if I left PC for good, and I seriously don't plan on doing that. I'm a friendly and open person, and I vastly prefer getting a VM or PM rather than using IM. I seriously don't give my IM address out to just anyone, only people I am comfortable with.

Forever
April 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM
-has vms disabled atm- >>

Only because it looks neater for those voting in Prettiest Profile Contest, so... they'll be renabled in like 24 hours? XD

I don't usually disable vms though. D: I love getting vms. XD;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Not on PC. On another forum I have.

If yes, then why did you do it? Please be as clear as possible, and if it's seriously a personal/private reason then say so.
I have permanently left said other forum, and I don't see any reason to keep VM's active when I won't be around to read or respond.

I think it's very useful, especially when you want to set up a Wi-fi trade or randomly chat without filling up your PM space.

If you would ever disable your Visitor Messages, under what circumstances would you do so?
Only if I were to permanently leave the forum. If someone is really bothering me through VM, I'd just block that one person.

Eurydice
April 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Have you ever disabled Visitor Messages? Yes

If yes, then why did you do it? Please be as clear as possible, and if it's seriously a personal/private reason then say so. mostly because i dont like other people reading my conversation with other people. its ok for trade but other then that i like to use private messages.

How do you feel about the Visitor Message system in general? its ok

I HEART MEGA HITT
April 24th, 2010, 09:18 PM
...don't be mad if I don't answer those questions, lol. not like you actually would get mad at me, would you honey? <3

Anyway, I keep mine to contacts and morderators only. I don't really like having tons of n00bs spam my messages asking me to be their friend. >_<

I don't mind them in general since its kind of fun. It's also easier if you want to just send a quick message without wasting so much time trying to do it in PM. :3 I think VMs are pretty much better because you like I said, they are really quick and plus its fun if you want to just chat with friends about random things. Sometimes it's almost like MSn too. <3

Cassino
April 24th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Oh, Pachy, you may recall our brief conversation in somewhat regard to this; but here's for anyone else, since why I have no VMs is a question I tend to get.

Soon as they appeared.

1. Redundancy — PMs work fine as far as I'm concerned.
2. Privacy — I'm just a reserved person who, given the choice, prefers talk in private if at all.

I appreciate the convenience it allows others, but personally find it redundant and undesirable.

Galukxy
April 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Have I disabled them?
if it is profile privacy yes, I have.

why did I do it?
because I don't want any one getting into my business or reading any of my conversations with
my friends >=/

How do I feel about it?
I feel okay with vms, they're easier and quicker to answer.

Ninja Caterpie
April 25th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I've never disabled VMs. I find it much easier to post and send VMs rather than PMs.

I am getting this urge to disable them to stop Erik spamming me. The one with the jap name.

loliwin
April 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Nope. It's less time consuming sending VM's than PM's. :D

I think its great! :D As I said, less time consuming. and it doesnt fill up your PM inbox. xD
If someone says something that would be better by PM. :D

Binary
April 25th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Nope, I'm fine with them.

---

I think it's convenient and easy. It saves pm space XP.

Spam maybe.

piece of something
April 25th, 2010, 02:02 AM
nope, haven't got them disabled, too lazy to do so anyhow and it doesn't bother me

i think the VM system is great

i dunno what circumstances i would disable it under but suffice to say they haven't happened yet

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Nope. I love VMs; I hate PMs. Simple as that. Only contacts can PM me, but all registered members can see my VMs / VM me.

It's probably the main way to socialize. I prefer it over PMs and the IRC. It also adds a pretty count to your page views and your Total VMs number :]

I assume the only reason I'd turn it off is if I were to leave PC.

The Sly Fox
April 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I have never disabled VM's and probably won't ever. I like the VM system.

If I were to disable them, the reason would probably be if it was being spammed up.

EmeraldSerenade
April 25th, 2010, 06:45 AM
No, and I most likely won't do so.

I love it. Its so convenient instead of sending damn pm's -.-

the reason would have to be that i would like to simply be left alone for a little bit :). i'd either disable it or just go invisible :3

Godot17
April 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I personally love VMs. Because you can stalk conversations of other people :D. And people see me as boring enough to not stalk my conversations, so I have a Win-Lose situation with VMs.

PMs are for super-duper private important matters. But I still remember the days before VMs when PM inboxes filled up like hell...

Now that I think of it, I don't think PM space is a matter anymore with VMs. :\

Sammi
April 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I disabled the VM system once. It was right around when I stepped down from the staff. I was on a crappy computer with IE6, I believe, which meant no tabs(!!). It was very hard to navigate the forum in general, let alone reply to VMs. So, I didn't check them, and eventually disabled them completely. As soon as I could check them properly on a better computer, I turned them back on.

I like the VM system, personally. It's easier to chat with people, imo. That and I don't really have much to hide in my messages. Basically the only reason I'd turn it off again is if I absolutely couldn't answer my VMs.

Kinarii
April 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Naw, I've never disabled VMs and don't see a reason for me to do so in the future, either. I don't get trolled or spammed on here or any other site so I can't see myself ever shutting off such a convenient feature.

Personally I wish others would leave theirs on, just 'cause I see neat people I might wanna try and talk to/get to know but then find their stuff is disabled so I just decide 'meh, not worth it' and forget them :/

MSN seems to be the popular IM client here but I don't have/like it myself (I use GTalk and if there's a good enough reason, Yahoo) so VMs are really the fastest way for me to chat with people I know here. I also don't IM much in general these days anyway 'cause I'm rather busy with real life and it's less distracting to do something like VMs.

Captain Fabio
April 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM

WTF?
Why would anyone say anything seriously personal?
Stupidly intrusive.

Anyway, I have it enabled. Simple as.
Some people want to argue with me, so they can do it that way.

ReyRey-Pyon
April 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Nope. I like getting VMs

I really like it. being able to annoy talk to people on their profiles and such. :9
its a neat feature. and you can peek at other peoples convo's :U /shot

I don't know. maybe if i ever left. or seriously just didn't want to talk to peeps oAo

*Firestar*
April 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have never disabled it, maybe put a few restrictions on it (which aren't there now) but not fully disabled it. I'll probably disable PMs because they are annoying when I am trying to do something. But VMs are great. They are the simplest way of communicating, and are pretty much IM.

Cassino
April 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
WTF?
Why would anyone say anything seriously personal?
Stupidly intrusive.
I think what Pachy means is if it's something exceedingly personal, not to state the reason, but to say simply that it is personal and leave it at that.

Gold warehouse
April 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Yes. A few times.

If yes, then why did you do it?
Because I didn't want to communicate with anyone on this forum other than those that know my IM address.

They're good? It's true that they are redundant when we have a PM system. Although I'm not really complaining, it means I can stalk people easier with VMs around.
I'm generally a totally open person anyway, so there's nothing that I really want to keep private from anyone, so I just use VMs rather than PMs anyway.

When I'm feeling more emo/reclusive than usual.