PDA

View Full Version : OMG MARIO XXVI

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 9:41 AM
Title is relevant.

The games industry is so vast and full of interesting games now-a-days, with different concepts and new game ideas coming through every single day... wait, no they aren't. It is full of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Halo, Final Fantasy (so on) games being spit out again and again.

I don't have a problem with it really, with the exception of Nintendo using the same characters over and over again. But, I am not here to rant about that.

The question I ask you is, is there a point where you get bored of all these version 2,3,4,5,6,7 blah blah, games coming out, or do you want to see more initiative games being brought forward?

One problem with the new game ideas, companies won't take a risk with a new game face because of the economic climate. They are too worried about how many millions they have in the bank.

So yah, you all getting bored of these, old but new release, games? Or can you not wait to fap over 'Halo 10 - Return of of Chief'?

Fox♠
April 25th, 2010, 9:45 AM
Personally i LOVE forking out £40 for a game I already have 6 times.

Ironic you should make this though Will, what with how many FIFA games you own ;]

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 9:58 AM
Personally i LOVE forking out £40 for a game I already have 6 times.

Ironic you should make this though Will, what with how many FIFA games you own ;]

PFFFF!
Fifa is an exception to the rule, because it is awesome.
Speaking of Fifa, FIFA WORLD CUP SOON BISH!

Barney.
April 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
PFFFF!
Fifa is an exception to the rule, because it is awesome.
Speaking of Fifa, FIFA WORLD CUP SOON BISH!

Oh my god hold me.

Anyway..

I'm not too sure what to say on this really, only that I personally think that Nintendo do change the Mario and Zelda games enough to warrant purchase, Whether it be story, gameplay etc.

But, I think that games like Halo and Gears of War are just re-packaged..But with a continuation to stories that people don't really connect to anyway. The campaigns can be beat in one day..and that's just milking it. Games like Zelda and Final Fantasy can last weeks, months..years?, and the gameplay, while it remains true to form, is the formula that made the originators of the series popular..So why fix something that's not broken?

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Oh my god hold me.

Anyway..

I'm not too sure what to say on this really, only that I personally think that Nintendo do change the Mario and Zelda games enough to warrant purchase, Whether it be story, gameplay etc.

But, I think that games like Halo and Gears of War are just re-packaged..But with a continuation to stories that people don't really connect to anyway. The campaigns can be beat in one day..and that's just milking it. Games like Zelda and Final Fantasy can last weeks, months..years?, and the gameplay, while it remains true to form, is the formula that made the originators of the series popular..So why fix something that's not broken?

I can understand that phrase, why fix if not broken, but I don't think, personally, it applies that much with games, as I do want something new for my money and not something that is much like a add-on.

Barney.
April 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah I do see where you are coming from..For example, as you can probably tell, I'm a Nintendo fanboy..But I am still yet to pick up NSMB Wii..Really because it just..Doesn't excite me that much. I can play Mario Bros. 3 on my NES/SNES whenever I want and that sort of satisfies my 2D mario needs. Also chances are I'm not going to pick up Galaxy 2 on release, if at all..And that's because I have the first one..And I for one really don't care for Yoshi, and that seems to be the only element that they've added.

But Zelda, I'll always buy..On release and play it nonstop until I beat it, because that is different all the time and the new things do excite me. Also Zelda Wii is set to innovate once again.

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah I do see where you are coming from..For example, as you can probably tell, I'm a Nintendo fanboy..But I am still yet to pick up NSMB Wii..Really because it just..Doesn't excite me that much. I can play Mario Bros. 3 on my NES/SNES whenever I want and that sort of satisfies my 2D mario needs. Also chances are I'm not going to pick up Galaxy 2 on release, if at all..And that's because I have the first one..And I for one really don't care for Yoshi, and that seems to be the only element that they've added.

But Zelda, I'll always buy..On release and play it nonstop until I beat it, because that is different all the time and the new things do excite me. Also Zelda Wii is set to innovate once again.

That is fair enough. I use to be a 'Sony fanboy' but I ain't a true fan of any company anymore. My course has taken all the fun out of gaming. Haha.

I haven't started FFXIII, Uncharted 2, Batman, GOWIII and so on, when I use to be dying to play them. Anywho, that is besides the point.

I can understand that you will always buy them most of the time, if Square Enix re-released a Dragon WARRIOR Monster game, I would buy it in a second, as well as the new Golden Sun.

Goku
April 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
As a society of shoppers, if we see a "2" or some continuation of something we've played before and enjoyed, we eat it up. Take a look at Modern Warfare 2's sales numbers. The story was mediocre and the multiplayer is still buggy, yet people ate it up beyond belief because of the expectations they got over the original.

I buy sequels and I enjoy them, even if they are just a continuation of the story. Granted, I make my purchases when the prices drop, usually.

Take a look at HeartGold and SoulSilver. They are...the same Pokemon games we've played for years and these are even a remake of ones we've played before, and they sold millions because it's shiny and new. I bought it too, but I don't regret it. It's fun.

I try to buy games that break the mold and do something unique. I bought Bioshock and Assassin's Creed when they came out and both of those were crazy games with crazy new ways to play, then I bought Assassin's Creed II, because I enjoyed the formula of the first one a lot and it was a fresh story that they improved on (controls, storytelling elements, etc), but I haven't purchased the new Bioshock 2, since mulitplayer I'll never play is not enough of a draw to get me back doing the same stuff I did last time.

On that note, I'll probably still end up buying Dead Rising 2, since I was non-stop addicted to the first.

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Dead Rising FTW. Just thought I would throw that in there =P

That is so true, Klippy. I end up buying the games, because I am excited to play them, but 9 times out of 10, I hate the new editions of the games. MW2, ACII, Bioshock 2 and all of them, I really really didn't like and was very disappointed by them.

Only Resident Evil 5 I liked, though, that is pretty much the same as all of them. Lol.

Shadow
April 25th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Mario is more famous than Mickey Mouse nowadays.

I'm going to ask you this. If you were in Nintendo's shoes, why would you stop making games starring someone that is known in more homes than a 100-year-old mouse that actually wins the write-in vote for President of the USA?

Not to mention, it's not like the games haven't evolved. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is lightyears (no pun intended) ahead of the original Super Mario Bros. Even New Super Mario Bros. Wii has many more features than the original.

They try new things with Mario all the times (sports, Smash Bros, etc), yet people harp on them for pumping out all of this "money sucking junk," but when we've only seen real Mario games in the past year or so, people whine "All we get are nothing but Mario games."

Niprop
April 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Eh? What are you talking about? After a set amount of games, FF changes almost completely from it's base RPG, In fact, if you took away "Final Fantasy" from XIII, you would almost be unable to tell that 1 and 10 are from the same series!

You saw what happened when they tried to exclude some Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire version.

Mario is well, what is the point of calling it a "Mario" game if Mario isn't even in it! Though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add additional characters...

Shadow
April 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Mario is well, what is the point of calling it a "Mario" game if Mario isn't even in it! Though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add additional characters...

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Look at Sonic recently. Adding additional characters is commonly a terrible idea.

They need to give more of our favorite characters more screen time (Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, etc).

Captain Fabio
April 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Mario is more famous than Mickey Mouse nowadays.

I'm going to ask you this. If you were in Nintendo's shoes, why would you stop making games starring someone that is known in more homes than a 100-year-old mouse that actually wins the write-in vote for President of the USA?

Not to mention, it's not like the games haven't evolved. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is lightyears (no pun intended) ahead of the original Super Mario Bros. Even New Super Mario Bros. Wii has many more features than the original.

They try new things with Mario all the times (sports, Smash Bros, etc), yet people harp on them for pumping out all of this "money sucking junk," but when we've only seen real Mario games in the past year or so, people whine "All we get are nothing but Mario games."

First off, I would never want to work for Nintendo, so I couldn't really answer that. I suppose I would have to be in the frame set of some unimaginative designers. I joke.

What?
That isn't what I am on about.
I am saying are people getting sick of having a stupid amount of games with the same characters in it.

Fox♠
April 25th, 2010, 3:11 PM
When i buy a sequel I like for it to you know, actually add to the previous experiance (Like MGS4) What I don't want is fundementally the same place and story as last time just as a different character (MGS2)

It's not just Nintendo who milk (Although they are by far the worst for it by a clear mile)

Crystal-Heart
April 25th, 2010, 6:20 PM
Eh? What are you talking about? After a set amount of games, FF changes almost completely from it's base RPG, In fact, if you took away "Final Fantasy" from XIII, you would almost be unable to tell that 1 and 10 are from the same series!
You're right actually, most of the Final Fantasy games try to implement a different system with each new game then the last game, be it a battle system, an EXP system, or both.

Captain Fabio
April 26th, 2010, 12:21 AM
When i buy a sequel I like for it to you know, actually add to the previous experiance (Like MGS4) What I don't want is fundementally the same place and story as last time just as a different character (MGS2)

It's not just Nintendo who milk (Although they are by far the worst for it by a clear mile)

That is why I included Halo in there ;)

But Tekken are milking is a hell of a lot. But is it different for fighting games? Or just the same?

El Héroe Oscuro
April 26th, 2010, 2:03 AM

You can also add in how Nintendo likes to milk its consoles. How many different type of DS's have they had now? Its just ridiculous ._.

Fox♠
April 26th, 2010, 2:36 AM
You can also add in how Nintendo likes to milk its consoles. How many different type of DS's have they had now? Its just ridiculous ._.

DSi XL is the funniest one yet. "Well we have being making them smaller so now we;'re making them larger again and charging even more than ever!!!"

I think the worst milking Nintendo has done in recent times is instead of just re-releasing games from obsolete platforms umpteen times, they;'ve started re-releasing gamecube games at full price even though the wii plays gamecube games.

Captain Fabio
April 26th, 2010, 3:36 AM
DSi XL is the funniest one yet. "Well we have being making them smaller so now we;'re making them larger again and charging even more than ever!!!"

I think the worst milking Nintendo has done in recent times is instead of just re-releasing games from obsolete platforms umpteen times, they;'ve started re-releasing gamecube games at full price even though the wii plays gamecube games.

Well, Apple are doing it too! Not seen the iPad?

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_kenneth/apple-evolution.jpg

Alistair
April 26th, 2010, 1:42 PM
I can understand that you will always buy them most of the time, if Square Enix re-released a Dragon WARRIOR Monster game, I would buy it in a second, as well as the new Golden Sun.

It always has been Dragon Quest. It will always be Dragon Quest. [/fanboyism]

But in all actuality, there are only certain series that I'll continually buy. Dragon Quest proper is one of them, due to their reletively distant releases in new titles. Plus, I can always count on outstanding quality in them. Mario proper (that is, spinoffs aside) also provide the same thing, as did Final Fantasy until recently.

But I think I enjoy these titles because I don't like looking at them as just another number in the series. I tend to treat every game I play as a new experience, regardless if it is or not.

A Pixy
April 26th, 2010, 1:48 PM
Strange.

I always thought the Mario games were consistently buckets of fun. :D

I'm sure if you've been playing the games all your life they'd seem repetitive, but they are trying to appeal to kids.

I'm sure to Nintendo it's kids/casual/family first, old fans second, everyone else third.

I'm so happy I fall into the first category. :D

Barney.
April 26th, 2010, 2:12 PM
but they are trying to appeal to kids.

I'm sure to Nintendo it's kids/casual/family first, old fans second, everyone else third.

Get out, scram, now.

The basic purpose of NSBWii was "To play SMB3 again".

Akeraz
April 26th, 2010, 2:55 PM
I don't really see the point in re-releases of sports games and stuff, but that's just me.
However, I crave sequels.
If there's a game I like and I hear about a sequel, I'm all over it.

Cacttus
April 26th, 2010, 3:17 PM
They need to give more of our favorite characters more screen time (Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, etc).

I do recall Lugia having his own game for Gamecube, Yoshi had his for DS and Wario has two out, I think one of them you create your own game; some type of contest is involved.
Strange.

I can see Nintendo trying to appeal to first time players, but the older fans either want to play NES or 64 Mario anything higher than that gets too complicated.

I for one am tired of saving Peach, I wish Bowser just win for once or something; I mean are Mario and Peach married/a couple or even interested in each other. I mean the guy risk his life each time for her; have you seen the new Mario for Wii the boss level is just crazy, but you gotta love Mario I mean he's Mario.

A Pixy
April 26th, 2010, 3:45 PM
Get out, scram, now.

The basic purpose of NSBWii was "To play SMB3 again".

True, I guess number one and two are interchangeable. o3o

Captain Fabio
April 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM
It always has been Dragon Quest. It will always be Dragon Quest. [/fanboyism]

Correction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_Monsters

El Héroe Oscuro
April 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I for one am tired of saving Peach, I wish Bowser just win for once or something; I mean are Mario and Peach married/a couple or even interested in each other. I mean the guy risk his life each time for her; have you seen the new Mario for Wii the boss level is just crazy, but you gotta love Mario I mean he's Mario.
Bowser should just kill Peach seriously... -___-

April 27th, 2010, 8:53 PM
Correction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_Monsters
Correction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest

"Dragon Quest (ドラゴンクエスト?), published as Dragon Warrior in North America until 2005"

Captain Fabio
April 28th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Correction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest

"Dragon Quest (ドラゴンクエスト?), published as Dragon Warrior in North America until 2005"

Actual correction.
It is a matter of preference.

Me and Alistair have already spoke about this over VM's and it depends, as it was originally called Dragon Warrior, as well as Quest.
And I was refereeing to the first and second game on the GBC =]

Zet
April 28th, 2010, 1:08 AM
Actual correction.
It is a matter of preference.

Me and Alistair have already spoke about this over VM's and it depends, as it was originally called Dragon Warrior, as well as Quest.
And I was refereeing to the first and second game on the GBC =]
Actual correction.
You can't handle the butthurt.

Seriously though, changing from Dragon Warrior to Quest and then back to Warrior and Quest one more time is kinda silly but in Japan it has been known as Dragon Quest only. And doing Dragon Warrior 1 to 3 and then change the title to Dragon Quest 4, 5 and 6 is confusing because straight away it's Dragon Warrior 7 and back to Dragon Quest 8 and 9.

hope that wasn't too confusing :<

And I never get bored of games like God of War 2, and umm.... not much else to list, since they offer new gameplay

Captain Fabio
April 28th, 2010, 1:22 AM
Actual correction.
You can't handle the butthurt.

Well, no.
Me and Alistair both have the original GBC game WITH the title Dragon Warrior Monsters.
So harp on all you want, but it was changed a long time after the game was released.

TRIFORCE89
April 28th, 2010, 6:15 PM
Nintendo has a large cast of characters. I don't have a problem with them using them. Every once and while a franchise we've "forgotten" about resurfaces like Punch-Out or Sin & Punishment.

I enjoy their franchises. Not really big on the spinoffs. But the core of each franchise is still pretty solid. Would like it if they come up with more new things like Pikmin once and a while, but whatever.

Doesn't really bug me. Because a game exists doesn't mean I'll buy it. Yeah I'd like to play new things, but I'd like to play well-made follow-ups as well.

Fun is fun, be it new, old, remade, or repackaged.