PDA

View Full Version : HST (Canada-Related Topic)

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Here (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2304998)

So, this new HST combines the PST and the GST together and is implemented on July 1st (I believe...). Some items usually taxed only by PST will now be taxed a full 13% now, rather than the 6%ish prior.

What do you think about this, fellow Canadians (specifically, Ontarians, since from what I understand, it's only happening to Ontario in July)? Is this just another ploy of the government to milk out more cash from the population?

Electricity is one of the most important, vital things of society, and now, most people will be forced to pay another 30$ or more monthly for electricity. Not cool.

RuRuBell
April 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm gonna die. Food's expensive enough as is, dunno what I'm gonna do when HST is introduced...eat PC brand food, I guess. D:

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I believe food won't be taxed 13% - just these are now taxed more:

• Gasoline

• Utilities (heating/hydro/natural gas)

• Internet bills

• Adult footwear under $30

• Admissions under $4

(e.g. swimming pool, skating rink)

• Veterinary care

• Personal services (e.g. hair stylist, massage).

• Professional services (e.g. lawyers, accountants)

• Mutual fund management fees

• Membership fees (e.g. gym)

• New homes over $400,000

• Real estate commissions

• Commercial property rentals and leases

• Landscaping

• Vitamins

• Postal stamps and courier fees

• Golf green fees and ski resort lift tickets

• Most admissions to live theatres

• Taxi fares

• Conferences and seminars

• Dry cleaning

• Carpet cleaning

• Labour costs related to home renovation

• Motor vehicle services (towing, car washing)

• Ice rink rental

• Hotels

• Overnight summer camps

• Domestic air travel

• Domestic rail travel

• Bus tickets

• Christmas trees

• Electrical and plumbing services

• Snowplowing

• Bicycles

• Funeral costs

• Doctor fees not covered by OHIP, dentist fees

• Web page design

• Advertising in newspapers, magazines and other media

Usually taxed around 6%, they'll now be 13%.

lol as if electricity, taxis, and houses don't cost a lot already. Not to mention, real estate representatives get a boosted 7% more commission. Holy crap. They already gain like, 10,000$ per house :| Now they'll get 11,300$. Do they really merit that?

RuRuBell
April 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Oh, good. All's well as long as I don't have to eat PC.

Christmas trees? Really?

Bus tickets, though....already so expensive. :/

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I know :| It's like, 80$/month for a bus pass. That's including metro, though.

If you're not a student-student, even under 18 you pay about 3.00$ to get on the metro and ride the bus once. Holy crap ><

In Toronto, it's even more expensive.

In my small birth city, it's 50$ for a student for just the bus itself. Adults are 70$. Can you imagine with that tax :|

RuRuBell
April 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
That's crazy. ;/

My student bus pass is about $52 monthly, which quickly pays for itself. Riding the bus alone, on the Ottawa side, is $3.00. $3.25 if you ride in Gatineau. Considering the sort of people public transportation is usually aimed towards, you'd think it would be cheaper.

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
If you live in Brossard, it costs you 3.00$ flat to ride into Montreal. Then, you pay 2.75$ for the metro + the bus. All in all, a trip where you just go to one place costs 11.50$ for an adult.

If you want a pass for Brossard + Montreal, it's 100$/month.

Lame.

Not to mention.... Brossard->Montreal->Laval costs even more, since Laval has its own busses and its own metro fee >_>

RuRuBell
April 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Ugh, very lame.

Greyhound is horribly expensive, too. Ever been on those? They're supposed to be one of the cheapest ways to travel...well, going from Ottawa to Windsor (where I'm from) one-way on a student fare is $91. ;(

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
140$ to go to Montreal; 280$ if you want to go there and come back <_<

That's going to get taxed, too! Lovely :D

Kura
April 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I believe food won't be taxed 13% - just these are now taxed more:
[...]
lol as if electricity, taxis, and houses don't cost a lot already. Not to mention, real estate representatives get a boosted 7% more commission. Holy crap. They already gain like, 10,000$ per house :| Now they'll get 11,300$. Do they really merit that?

Yeah. Not to mention small business owners (like my dad) are going to now need to pay double the tax every month on rent :/ It's freaking ridiculous.
Way to kill small business owners' dreams.
For anyone else who'd be trying to start their own business, it'll be like.. making it just THAT much harder.

And yeah. Metro prices already went up a CRAPLOAD.. not to mention gas prices, too. Food prices, too. Everything is going up.. everything except for wages and the damn clothing industry. :/ It's just ridiculous.

I KNOW this new tax is a scam.. the bigups just want more cash in their pockets.

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Wages actually rose around two dollars in the past two or three years. That's about... hrm... 320$ extra in the pocket a month, if you work 40h a week?

I'll be angry if one day, they start taxing working more >_> Seriously. You know someone who gets paid 50$/h like my grandpa gets 8$ taken off in taxes? Where does this money go? I certainly don't see my streets getting repaired. I see a lot of unworthy people on welfare, though :|

Kura
April 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Wages actually rose around two dollars in the past two or three years. That's about... hrm... 320$ extra in the pocket a month, if you work 40h a week?

I'll be angry if one day, they start taxing working more >_> Seriously. You know someone who gets paid 50$/h like my grandpa gets 8$ taken off in taxes? Where does this money go? I certainly don't see my streets getting repaired. I see a lot of unworthy people on welfare, though :|

Yeah but that's if you actually work WAGES. Not if you're a business owner or you have another profession that pays in PRO RATED SALARY instead of per hour.

And yeah. SO many LAZY people are on welfare. I had this conversation with a friend of mine a little while ago. There are LOTS of people on welfare who genuinely need it, don't get me wrong, especially if someone's in school and it's just too tough for them to work 2 jobs and have full time class schedules.. but then there are people who sit at home, don't even bother going out and looking for a job.. and basically live out a stagnant existence on other people's hard earned taxes.

:/ The government is ridiculous.

Yusshin
April 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Not to offend, but in Quebec, I've noticed Hindus abuse the welfare system. Four kids, a wife, a husband, 2000$/month in a 4 1/2 that costs 600$+electricity. Abused? Yes. Jeez.

And my dad's on salary, too, so it wouldn't affect him that much, unless they decide to tax that, too lol Can they even do that -.- Wait, it's the government. It's like Flying Pika - they can do anything! :D

But yeah, this HST thing... really not cool that they're boosting taxes on the basic needs of life. Sure, they didn't target food, but they target electricity, heating, gasoline, Internet, etc. My heating is electric, so that's really not cool guys ><

Stairmaster
April 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, wow, that sucks. I'm glad I don't live in Canada. That's a really high sales tax. I would probably eat a whole lot less and find some way to keep from losing money.

EDIT: Didn't see the food part. But I would still probably be outraged.

Kura
April 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Not to offend, but in Quebec, I've noticed Hindus abuse the welfare system. Four kids, a wife, a husband, 2000$/month in a 4 1/2 that costs 600$+electricity. Abused? Yes. Jeez.

And my dad's on salary, too, so it wouldn't affect him that much, unless they decide to tax that, too lol Can they even do that -.- Wait, it's the government. It's like Flying Pika - they can do anything! :D

But yeah, this HST thing... really not cool that they're boosting taxes on the basic needs of life. Sure, they didn't target food, but they target electricity, heating, gasoline, Internet, etc. My heating is electric, so that's really not cool guys ><

Yeah around Toronto the "Welfare area" has spread ENORMOUSLY and it's full of the same types of dirty lazy people. :/ People with no common sense.

Like I said, there ARE people on welfare that have every right to be because they need the help and there are no other options for them.. but I have seen many that.. yes.. abuse the system. I just don't even KNOW where all our taxes are going anymore!

Team Fail
April 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I'm so glad I don't live in Ontario. (Alberta FTW) IMO, the HST thing is so dumb. There is a tax for nearly everything, these days! There's a tax for garbage collection, there's a tax for admission and there's even tax for water! What kinds of taxes are there going to have? A living tax!? Jeez...

Yusshin
April 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
We already kind of have a "living" tax.

I call it the tax we get for working :| We're taxed for WORKING - trying to make a living! What the Hell?

And where does that money go? To welfare which people abuse (and the right people don't have a chance to acquire), I know that. Where else does it go? My roads aren't fixed and haven't been maintained in years lol Ridiculous.

Team Fail
April 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
We already kind of have a "living" tax.

I call it the tax we get for working :| We're taxed for WORKING - trying to make a living! What the Hell?

And where does that money go? To welfare which people abuse (and the right people don't have a chance to acquire), I know that. Where else does it go? My roads aren't fixed and haven't been maintained in years lol Ridiculous.

I'm getting a job soon- That "living" tax will soon apply to me.

I was reading that huge list of some of the stuff the Harmonized Sales Tax will apply to. This one got me going:

CHRISTMAS TREES

Ok. The government wants to get me to spend $5 extra on some stupid-ass Christmas tree I'm only going to use for a month?! Is that really necessary! That's outrageous! There are a lot of people that can't afford to have another $30 pasted on their monthly bills! It would make it that much harder to live!

GST
PST
HST?
Carbon Tax?

This isn't necessary. Honestly, I think it's a big cash cow so the Governmemt can get more money.

TRIFORCE89
May 4th, 2010, 04:17 AM
We were looking to buy a house. And now we are not. A house is already expensive enough. But then you have to pay an additional tax on such an incredibly large amount of money? Forget it. We'd end up paying more in the tax up front, then we'd have to put initially down for our mortgage. So, so, stupid. Way to kill the housing market McGuinty.

And I *love* how they just randomly decided to implement some of it early. Last week they announced if you don't purchase certain services within two days, then you're going to have to pay HST on it early. Thanks. Now that we're not moving, we're working on replacing our windows. But thanks to the incredible short notice on that announcement, we had to just settle quickly to avoid the tax.

*shakes fist*

Best of all are provincial the tax collectors, who aren't losing their jobs, but being transferred to a federal department to handle the HST, are getting paid severance on top of their salary.

This provincial government knows jack **** about money. Collect more of ours only to waste it while hurting small business owners and the housing market. Brilliant.

Narcissus Secret
May 4th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I don't live in Canda, so I can really just offer my sympathy. I don't think I would be able to survive with these extra prices.. at least not very well.