PDA

View Full Version : New epidemic: Changephobia

Fxcking Tatertots
April 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Symptoms: aversion to new things/features, whining about the changes, having an air of nostalgic elitism, feeling that something is ruined forever.

*Glares at those who whine about anything from the new YouTube format, new Pokemon games after G/S/C, and music*

Trap-Eds
April 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Lol. People like that tick me off too. You can never satisfy everybody.

/inbeforelock

Fxcking Tatertots
April 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I just wrote "Why do people go on an nostalgia trip and think every change is bad" in a tongue-in-cheek manner. =/

Yusshin
April 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
But the new Youtube format does suck.

I can't even replay videos anymore. It won't let me lol even if my Internet cuts, the old format would let me watch a video I've already buffered prior to the lost connection. Now, even buffered, you need to get the Internet back on or it doesn't work. It won't even play what's already been buffered. It just ignores it :|

Waste of bandwidth, if ya ask me. The old one would reload starting from where buffering stopped, too (when you lost your connection). You need to refresh and rebuffer / waste more bandwidth now, because of the new format.

It's also not very user-friendly. Of course we're going to complain lol

Sneeze
April 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'll admit, the new youtube is godawful. I really don't like it.

Throat
April 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm the kind of person who gets nostalgic often, heh. Well, the topic seems to be aimed for the youtube change (which I haven't noticed yet).

JakeyBoy
April 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
New epidemic: whining about whining. I find your use of the word "elitism" in this context hilarious, by the way.
Yeah, I wouldn't have a real problem with Newtube if it wasn't for that automatic playlist thing. It's everywhere. But isn't there a topic for this already?

Shadow
April 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I still haven't figured out how to view videos from the same user in the new Youtube layout. It is an abomination of a clunky and user un-friendly mess. And it looks horrible. It looks like there isn't a layout; there's a such thing as taking minimalistic too far.

I'm not opposed to change. I'm usually the one mocking people who are resistant to change. The Youtube change was a huge change in the wrong direction (on the heels of many other horrible ideas they had involving advertisements and the sort).

Maybe I should go make a thread called: New epidemic: Opinionphobia...

Trap-Eds
April 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I just wrote "Why do people go on an nostalgia trip and think every change is bad" in a tongue-in-cheek manner. =/

Okay, heh...well, I think it's because people are creatures of habit. Whenever something changes all of a sudden, we freak out for some reason.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Then I wonder how in the past, people adjusted to certain environments.
I didn't think they complained, they tried to make themselves as comfortable.

Think about this: Why don't you people try being in the position of the people making the changes? Maybe if you try it instead of sitting here and doing nothing, you'd accomplish something. Hence the example above.

Yusshin
April 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
But that's hard :| Whoever made the changes to BoobTube had bad taste. 80% of the BoobTube population is complaining lol and it's obvious that the new lay-out is difficult to navigate.

hiphiphippo
April 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
i never really thought about it, but i guess i'm pretty "changephobic"

i dislike change and i'll complain, but i'll adjust eventually

i understand that a lot of changes are inevitable, but i think youtube/other websites like FB changing their formats are unnecessary

P.S.
metathesiophobia is the correct term, i looked it up xD just an fyi~

Erin
April 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
You know what I'm changephobic about? Facebook in general. After the last major revamp a year or two ago, they've re-designed the format of the website every three or four months for no clearly identifiable reason. It doesn't save space or increase efficiency; the only thing it does is give more room for (or in some other way benefit) advertisers. && then you get changes like the most recent one (reforming of the info tab) that serve absolutely no purpose at all aside from confusing people && disrupting the normalcy && familiarity that made facebook so popular.

Mark Zuckerberg is a friggin sellout.

Aureol
April 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't think change is bad. I tend to be pretty open to change. It's not my fault that 4th Generation is so unappealing... >_>

Seriously though, what many people call nostalgia-based hate is actually just a realization of declining quality. Some things get better over time, but generally speaking most things get worse, mostly because, when you stick with one thing too long, you run out of ideas. (The following is based on opinion) Pokemon gameplay has improved over time, Pokemon design has declined over time. The Facebook layout has improved over time, the YouTube format has declined over time.

Come on, considering how old the Pokemon franchise is, it's pretty impressive they're still making as many good-looking Pokemon as they are. It's pretty hard to make 500 unique creatures and have them all look good, so perfection is hardly expected. Many of my favorite series I abandoned because they just dragged out for too long: Dragonball Z got pretty old after the 200th episode, Redwall got old after the 10th book, etc.

The examples I gave are debatable, but I feel a lot of people would agree that franchises might improve at first, but then continue to degenerate.

Chibi-chan
April 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hey guys!
So what exactly is this thread about?
I'm not sure if it goes in Tech (if you're just going to talk about Facebook and youtube), Pokemon, or change in general :|

Yoshimi
April 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I used to hate the new layouts, but now it really doesn't matter to me. The performance is still pretty good, and to me, performance comes first and everything else comes second.
I still like the old layout better, but I'm not one to complain about the new one.

Hey guys!
I'm not sure if it goes in Tech (if you're just going to talk about Facebook and youtube), Pokemon, or change in general :|

I think it's the latter, although it seems to have started as just a counter-complaint to the new Youtube layouts.

Zet
April 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hey guys!

I believe it's a bit of everything, like old shows being changed into something completely different or a game is changed completely to when you used to play the original. etc etc.

Missingno.7-4468
April 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not changephobic, I just don't like certain changes. Like music...Pokemon designs...And really that's it. While I liked the old Youtube better than the current one, I'm really not complaining.

I just can't stand today's music is the biggest thing for me >_<

Limey-chan
April 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
*Glares at those who whine about anything from the new YouTube format, new Pokemon games after G/S/C, and music*

Oh dear. Guilty as charged xD

Though admittedly I don't really whine about those sorts of changes, I sort of just shun them and stick with the old stuff.

RuRuBell
April 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, guilty.

I've never been comfortable around change, whether it be something minor like a friend cancelling last minute to moving to a different city and a new house. I like knowing things will remain consistent and predictable, but that's not life. :P

Zeta Patchouli
April 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Thank you, thank you so much. Even if there are legit problems with the new Youtube format (I can't access it in IE, which is my main browser, causing me to have to seek out Chrome, only problem to me.), that wasn't what I was complaining about.

I do have a bit of it, though, even if it is due to bad experiences with everything similar to it, and that's eating vegetables. Every single vegetable I have ever had has caused me to throw it all back up, and more.

Oh, and I do whine about TV show these days, so that counts. Even made a thread about it, but it wasn't all that popular. But not much else, I guess.

Gumball Watterson
April 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yep, I hate harsh direct changes. But get over it. It's probably for the benefit of your life.

As for nostalgic kinds of moments... get over that too. You're not a kid anymore. Today's entertainment is meant for today's children.

Kinarii
April 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Lol, people questioning new stuff and feeling that older things or 'classics' are superior is something that's been around forever. Every generation does it, it's just that because of the all-encompassing scale of the internet in our generation, complaints just seem more prevalent.

People develop their views on things as they grow up, and the things they grew up enjoying are cemented in their minds as 'great'. By the time they're adults and able to discern 'good' from 'crap', those with a strong taste for nostalgia don't go back and apply this new principle to those 'great classics' or 'the good old days'.

There are varying degrees of this. Some (like myself) acknowledge that they may indeed be biased in their views or that nostalgia gets in the way of stuff sometimes, and at least accept other views. Others are much more adamant about 'old > new' and can be rather closed-minded :/

Personally, I think 'to each his own' and try not to pay attention to people whining (nostalgic or otherwise).

Zeta Patchouli
April 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
True, true. It is their time, AK47. But I'm still a kid at heart, I still like the same stuff as I did when I was eight, and six. I still like playing with little toys, I still like playing pretend. I am a sixteen year old little kid. But yes, to succeed, you have to let go of your childhood. Something I seem to be unable to do, but whatever. I'll drown in my own devices due to not being able to get over it.

I will probably not make it out in the real world, because I can't get over it. Don't be like me and be a kid. No this is not sarcasm. So that is probably another thing. Thanks for reminding me, AK47. About how bad off I'll be, and no matter how hard I try, and I tried, and still try, I will not succeed.

(Don't worry, you haven't reminded me of much new. I'm still trying to work on those issues, and in all seriousness, I think it's actually going a tiny bit better then what that says up there, now that I think about it. But not well enough, I'm afraid.)

Åzurε
April 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Symptoms: aversion to new things/features, whining about the changes, having an air of nostalgic elitism, feeling that something is ruined forever.

Did somebody say Ruined FOREVER (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER)?

Check out that entry on Pokemon.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, I've checked it out. TV Tropes pull my heart strings. :]

The Pokémon was always better before (insert current generation here). Usually either centered around complaints that new Pokemon are not as "cool" looking as older ones, or complaints that adding extra evolutions have ruined that Pokemon forever. Diamond/Pearl also had the usual complaints, plus claims that a dramatic re-balancing of all the moves (creating "special" and "physical" categories) ruined competitive battling forever.

- The main reaction to HeartGold and SoulSilver seem to be "OMG they replaced Kris with Lyra! Ruined FOREVER!

-OMFG the grass looks slightly different! Ruined FOREVER!

-The game has more detail?! It's RUINED 4EVER!!!

-Whitney's Miltank is one level lower in HG/SS?!?! EPIC FAIL GAMEFREAK

-Perhaps a little conspiracy theory to go with it? "JUNICHI MASUDA IS BLACKMAILING THE ALMIGHTY TAJIRI-SAN TO TAKE OVER POKEMON! IT IS RUINED 4EVER!"

-Lopunny, Gardevoir, et al led to cries of "FURRYMON" across the Internet. A Japanese video game with Cute Monster Girls? That's just crazy talk.

-As soon as his silhouette was revealed, Zoroark was accused of being a Replacement Scrappy of Lucario. Seriously, WHAT?!

-When people saw Pokemon from 3rd and 4th Gen: Pokemon look like robots instead of animals?! RUINED FOREVER!

-The Tin Tower is now called Bell Tower. THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING!!

-The titles of the new games are BLACK and WHITE?! Oh no the, series is now absolutely going emo/racist by the NAME ALONE!!! It has been RUINED FOREVER!!!

My sentiments exactly. ^ [obviously, it was doing the RUINED 4EVER sarcastically.]

General Bravo
April 30th, 2010, 02:28 AM
lawl
Well, as far a YouTube goes I liked it in '07 because it looked better, had better features(bulletins, anyone?)and it ACTUALLY ****ING WORKED.
Pokemon-wise, well owning at least one game from every main series generation I can honestly say I like em all, albeit each game for different reasons. And just seeing some clips of the DP anime, I really thought the show I remember became fail and suckiness, but having started at DP Episode 1 and watching full episodes, I actually sorta like it. It's...different, Dawn can be a bit bothersome sometimes(and Piplup can be as retarded/insane as Ash's Totodile), but it usually doesn't take away from the story.

Hope and change? HELL NO, OBAMA.