PDA

View Full Version : Phobias in General

Yusshin
April 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Do you have any phobias?

I have:

- Arachnophobia (fear of spiders)
- Aichmophobia (fear of needles / pointy objects)
- Altophobia (fear of heights)
- Anthropophobia (fear of people / society)
- Autophobia (fear of being alone, though only in dark places)
- Entomophobia (fear of insects, specifically large insects)
- Lygophobia (fear of the dark, especially when alone)
- Xenophobia (fear of strangers and foreigners)

My sister has:

- Arachnophobia (fear of spiders)
- Turophobia (fear of cheese)

My dad has:

- Xenophobia (fear of strangers and foreigners)

Here's a large list of Phobias; use ALT+F to search for yours:

List (http://www.phobialist.com/#A-)

Illekn
April 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have:

Aeroacrophobia- The fear of open Heights. I could be a billion million miles high, as long as there is some sort of wall around me.
and
Cleisiophobia- The fear of being lockedin an enclosed area. I could be closed in the tightest space ever, my problem comes upon not being able to leave freely.

shookie
April 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Bambakophobia - fear of cotton and cotton balls. I can't touch them, have them on my skin, or anything.
Cleisiophobia - fear of being locked in an enclosed area. Same as Illekn.
Anginophobia - fear of choking, only to an extent.
Emetophobia - fear of vomiting, again, only to an extent. This and the choking mostly go hand in hand.
Arachnophobia - fear of spiders, though it's really more entomophobia than specifically spiders.

Death_Mande
April 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Here are mine:

Claustrophobia- Fear of confined spaces.
Cynophobia- Fear of dogs or rabies.

That's the only two I found o.o"

Anti-Hero
April 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't really have any phobias. Yeah... I'm afraid of stuff... but really only like when crazy people are chasing me. (which has happened a number of times.)

Is there a phobia name for that?

Yusshin
April 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Closest I found was Gary Larson's fictional phobia :P

- Luposlipophobia (fear of being chased around a kitchen table on newly waxed floors in your socks by timber wolves)

But if this makes you feel better:

Fear of Being Chased (http://www.saviodsilva.com/fear/fear-being-chased.htm)

Fxcking Tatertots
April 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Acrophobia- Fear of heights.
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
Gelotophobia- Fear of being laughed at.
Social Phobia- Fear of being evaluated negatively in social situations.
Spheksophobia- Fear of wasps.
Topophobia- Fear of certain places or situations, such as stage fright.
Apiphobia- Fear of bees.
Catagelophobia- Fear of being ridiculed.

LOOK A PATTERN.

hiphiphippo
April 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Aeroacrophobia- The fear of open Heights. I could be a billion million miles high, as long as there is some sort of wall around me.

O_O THAT MAKES ME CRINGE AND WANT TO CRY AT THE THOUGHT OF IT -TEARS EYES OUT- i think i'm sweating now ;-;
i guess i'm an aeroacrophobic..

others that i have:
Entomophobia- Fear of insects (including spiders, etc. since this is the broadest phobia pertaining to bugs)
Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles
Achluophobia- Fear of darkness
Ankylophobia- Fear of immobility of a joint
Apeirophobia- Fear of infinity (<-- exhausts my brain)

and lots more that i didnt think of/weren't on the list

lol @
Catoptrophobia- Fear of mirrors
Aulophobia- Fear of flutes
Barophobia- Fear of gravity

making this post has caused my muscles to go soft ;-;

Mattysaurus
April 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not really afraid of much.

Just the occasional spider or paranoia.

I am afraid of crashing while driving. Dayum driving, YOU SCAREH! ;D

Porygon-Z
April 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have:

Apiphobia (Fear of Bees)

and

Globophobia (Fear or Balloons)

Loxius
April 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Not afraid of anything. 8D Cept for the number 13... >-> OH NO I SAID IT.

Ayselipera
April 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I never really thought I feared anything. I see them more as things that irk me.

Such as being clustered in with many people. Which would be Claustrophobia, but only when it involves people. Small spaces in general don't bother me at all.

Limey-chan
April 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
None atm, though when I was younger I used to be absolutely petrified of being sick. (Emetophobia in technical terms).

Got over it now lol.

Timbjerr
April 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I don't think of it as a true phobia, more like an inexplicable anxiety, but I'm fairly genophobic (fear of sex or sexual relations).

Porygon-Z
April 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Well it's not so extreme as to be a phobia but I'm very superstitious about a certain number.
So much so that I don't want to type it.
The correct term for the phobia is this though: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia)

Missingno.7-4468
April 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I have...

Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
Aeroacrophobia- Fear of open high places.
Demophobia- Fear of crowds

That's really all I have...I may find more though.

Fxcking Tatertots
April 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I don't think of it as a true phobia, more like an inexplicable anxiety, but I'm fairly genophobic (fear of sex or sexual relations).

Same here. I'm afraid to admit it, though.

Oh crap.

Yusshin
April 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well it's not so extreme as to be a phobia but I'm very superstitious about a certain number.
So much so that I don't want to type it.
The correct term for the phobia is this though: Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia)

Mm... I'm not a fan of that number either, but it's not a phobia. I just ignore it and try to avoid it o-o

BHwolfgang
April 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I think I have Apeirophobia, which is the fear of infinity. I don't know why I have this, but I feel like I want to vomit whenever I dream of infinity. I would feel so sick when the thought of something going on and on, or a never-ending pattern. Another phobia that I openly admit is Arachnophobia. I absolutely hate spiders, and fear them. They are so gross; I just want to kill one when I see it.

I am uncertain with other phobias, however. There have been a case in my life that could fit under a lot of the phobias listed on that site. I have shown signs of Gerascophobia before. It is the fear of growing old. Whenever I look at my grandparents, or senior citizens in general, all I can show them is love and care. However, I feel the state of shock or fear whenever I think about myself growing old. Yeah, this sounds stupid, but it almost crippled my attitude towards the elderly. Fortunately, I talked about this to my grandfather. He reassured me that there was nothing wrong of growing old, and it's not as bad as it is.

I also am a Sinophobic.

Eternal Nightmare
April 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Fear of cheese xD but I used to be afraid of heights and being surrounded by people but now I grew out of both. Yay me :D. A girl I knew in middle school was afraid of fire trucks, my older bro was afraid of airplanes, my lil bro is afraid of spiders, my mom is afraid of heights, and laslty my compute apps teacher is afraid of hair o_o.

RuRuBell
April 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have hydrophobia, fear of water. Not things like puddles or showers (because someone always has to make some 'witty' remark about me avoiding baths when I say this), but deep water. If I can't see the bottom of the pool/lake/whatever I'm going to swim in, I'm not going in there. I get horribly nervous if it's deep enough to go higher than my shoulders. Things related to water count, too. I'm really scared of boats and bridges. You can force me to go, but I'll usually end up in hysterics. :/

My mom likes to tease me about this, because I used to be on the swim team. So I know how to swim, and fairly well.

On the other hand, my mom has Ophidiophobia-a phobia of snakes. Hers is quite bad, she gets sick when she sees so much as a picture in a book, or something.

I think snakes are pretty cute, though!

Cassino
April 30th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Moderate Aeroacrophobia
Mild Agoraphobia
Mild Hydrophobia — namely in my case a fear of being underwater, unless I'm in a submarine or something.

I'm also photophobic, the term doesn't refer to a fear though, just a physical discomfort (pain in eyes, headaches etc) experienced when exposed to bright light. You'll never find the main light on in my room.

Ninja Caterpie
April 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I've got entomophobia, particularly with spiders. D=

And a bit of aeroacrophobia. D=

Yusshin
April 30th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I've got entomophobia, particularly with spiders. D=

And a bit of aeroacrophobia. D=

That would arachnophobia xD Spiders aren't insects, so they get their own phobia name. How lucky for them~

Zebeedoo
April 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've got Cynophobia. I'm heart scared of dogs... when I was five, one jumped on me and knocked me over. It actualy stood over me while I was on the ground and I've been scared since. Though I'm completely fine around dogs on leads. If I see one not on a lead, I hide behind my friends. Even when I go into a house with a dog, I have to make sure if the person who owns the house has a dog... if they do I have to get my dad to ask them to put the dog outside. ;;

Toshiro.
April 30th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I have Hemophobia, the fear of blood. The sight of it makes me ill, sometimes when I see it I come close to fainting... Also, I have a small phobia of spiders. I just don't like them.

PuNkSter
April 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have:

Acrophobia(fear of heights)
Ailurophobia(fear of cats)

That's all.

Ninja Caterpie
April 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM
That would arachnophobia xD Spiders aren't insects, so they get their own phobia name. How lucky for them~

I know! I'm not silly. I'm just saying I've got entomophobia and arachnophobia, but phobias are too long to spell and I'm lazy.

Yusshin
April 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I know! I'm not silly. I'm just saying I've got entomophobia and arachnophobia, but phobias are too long to spell and I'm lazy.

Maybe you have hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (fear of long words)?

lolol XD

Chiku Hamasaki
April 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Acrophobia- Fear of heights.
Climacophobia- Fear of stairs, climbing, or of falling downstairs.
Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns.

&The big one.

Gamophobia - fear of marriage.

Eh, im so weird! Dx

hiphiphippo
April 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM

oh? i guess i'm an arachnophobic also then D:

RuRuBell
April 30th, 2010, 04:56 PM
oh? i guess i'm an arachnophobic also then D:

Yep, spiders belong to a group called Arachnids (hence the phobia name). They share this group with scorpions, ticks, mites, that sort of thing. Arachnids have 8 legs, whereas insects have 6.

Just a little info. xD And while we're on the subject, I have a huge fear of scorpions. Ugghhh.

Akari
April 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Aeroacrophobia - Mentioned before.
Algophobia - Fear of pain. I fear injuries in general, but especially to the eyes.
Atychiphobia- Fear of failure. (Probably the biggest and most relevant one right now for me)
Catagelophobia- Fear of being ridiculed.
Contreltophobia- Fear of sexual abuse.
Cyberphobia- Fear of computers or working on a computer. I'm in agony every second I'm typing this.

Koratah
April 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have:
Panophobia- Fear of everything. (This is the phobia I use to classify my EXTREME paranoia. I get scared of everything, even the noise of my own breathing sometimes..)
Kymophobia- Fear of waves. (especially giant ones.. I always have nightmares that a big one comes and drowns my family and I.. D: even though I live no where near the ocean.)
Antlophobia- Fear of floods.
Autophobia- Fear of being alone.

There's many more that I can't think of at the moment.. :<

Nincada
April 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I have a fear of death. Not of myself, but of the people close to me. I always think of what would happen if I came home and my parents or girlfriend were just gone. I don't think I could bounce back from that.

I HEART MEGA HITT
April 30th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Spiders and dentists.

Seriously, I hate spiders so much. Though now, as long as they are in sight and not hanging around or whatever... I can smack them with my shoe. Other than that, i freak out and have to sleep on the couch until it's found dead or alive. D:

As for dentists, I've been afraid of them since I was like... three. When i was three, they couldn't me to open my mouth. So I ended up having a pediatric dentist until I was fourteen... and I STILL have one... >_>

So yeah.

Oh... I also hate people throwing up. x_x I just... do. Not really sure why because it doesn't like... exactly gross me out... I just... hate it. >_> That's also why I hate hospitals because you always have at least one person who has to throw up and dsgdfghfgh YEAH.

I used to have some really stupid fears but I don't anymore.

hiphiphippo
April 30th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Yep, spiders belong to a group called Arachnids (hence the phobia name). They share this group with scorpions, ticks, mites, that sort of thing. Arachnids have 8 legs, whereas insects have 6.

Just a little info. xD And while we're on the subject, I have a huge fear of scorpions. Ugghhh.

ohh. right, the legs... lol.
i thought arachnids were only spiders? i guess not O_O
in this case, i'm an extreme arachnophobic

I have:
Panophobia- Fear of everything. (This is the phobia I use to classify my EXTREME paranoia. I get scared of everything, even the noise of my own breathing sometimes..)

i hadn't thought of this, i'm the same!

Kymophobia- Fear of waves. (especially giant ones.. I always have nightmares that a big one comes and drowns my family and I.. D: even though I live no where near the ocean.)
Antlophobia- Fear of floods.

LOL xD

Waki Tobaye
April 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I got lots of phobias, not normal phobias except for aranchnophobia, but still:

-Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia: Fear of certain number(I just avoid that number that contains three times the same digit... you know which; even when I get 66 exp points or 66 coins I'm already shaking)

-Thanatophobia: Fear of death (I quote Nincada's post)

-Autophobia: Fear of being alone (Now, here's an exception. I really like to be alone in my house, I can do whatever I want, turn my stereo to 18, because there's noise around (neighbors and the like) on the day. My real phobia is beign alone, in a silent, closed room or a really, really huge area[Ocean, big, big park] where you cannot see the end)

-Atychiphobia - Fear of failure (I try to make things perfect everytime, hence my way of posting and things like that; maybe the ridiculized one too but on a smaller scale)

-Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns (Some, not every clown I see on the streets. I read a book about clowns when I was five, so...)

-Arachnophobia - Fear of arachnids (Classic, bread and butter, arachnophobia)

-Teratophobia- Fear of bearing a deformed child or fear of monsters or deformed people. (Self-explanitory, also deformed fakemon)

[s]Alektorophobia- Fear of chickens.

That's all, I think. Thanks a lot OP, I learned a lot of phobias names in that page.

PD. I actually love chickens :D They're pretty cute.

helix
April 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Aeroacrophobia- Fear of open high places.
Cremnophobia- Fear of precipices. (Interconnected with the aeroacrophobia.)
Spheksophobia- Fear of wasps.
Topophobia- Fear of certain places or situations, such as stage fright.

I never want to be alone on a stage, or be the sole focus of attention in a lot of situations. I'd probably freeze if I was placed with any of the things above, actually.
The list doesn't seem to have a name for a fear of tidal waves. ;<

Trap-Eds
May 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Maybe you have hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (fear of long words)?

Boy, talk about irony. xDD Now for my "fears":

Autophobia- Fear of being alone or of oneself. (Just in the dark, when you can't SEE anybody or anything, and abandoned places where you're the ONLY one there O_o)

Athazagoraphobia- Fear of being forgotton or ignored or forgetting. (Heh. Everyday life for me. xP)

Chiraptophobia- Fear of being touched. (I'm not afraid, just annoyed by being touched randomly, but my friends would say otherwise...)

Aaand...I think that's it. *is too tired to bother reading the whole list*

zappyspiker
May 1st, 2010, 02:50 AM
I used to have slight Altophobia cause I was afraid to jump of 3m+ diving board 8 years back. I'm fine with rock climbing, bungy jumping etc but when it comes to things without a harness I used to freak out. I'm not 100% now cause I haven't been to a diving board for so long

mondays suck
May 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Death, People, Heights. I tried to look up what phobias these are, but I ended up with maybe 50 similar ones.

Kung Fu Quagsire!
May 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Trypanophobia; it's not just the medical injections though, I'm also petrified of using hypodermic needles for taking blood, injecting drugs, ect. It's not the fear of sharp/pointy objects, so I think this one fits better.

I also have aeroacrophobia, which is the fear of open high places.

dewgonglover
May 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
phasmaphobia-fear of ghosts

Pass!on
May 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Heights, insects, and water snakes. Not just snakes, water snakes.

vanna.
May 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have pretty prominent venephobia. That's a fear of veins, so I actually can't even really look at my wrists or feet without getting woosy, and I can't even get a blood test without passing out and having a semi-panic attack. It's quite annoying :S

I also have a fear of water snakes too, actually, but I wouldn't classify it as a phobia. It's nowhere near the degree of my venephobia.

Narcissus Secret
May 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
I have:
-Achluophobia
-Necrophobia
-Novercaphobia I don't have a step mom/know my dads new girl friend.. soo yeah.
-Testophobia

SIN1488
May 1st, 2010, 10:40 PM
Xenophobia XD

Acrophobia-I hate heights. If I'm standing on top of a roof, it's not so bad. But as I get higher in elevation, I hate it. I once took a tramway or whatever it's called up a mountain, and everyone was standing up in there but I had to sit down because it was too uncomfortable. I kept thinking about what if the thing broke and I fell? Or what if it stopped working and we had to be evacuated out of the top of it? Ahhhh!!! My parents think it's because I crawled out of my crib one day onto a dresser, and I leaned against the screen of the window. I kind of agree, but most of it probably came from my parents freaking out when they checked up on me, and it put that fear in me. Oh, the reason why is because we lived in a two story apartment then, so it was high up.

Aquaphobia-I think that's what it's called. I don't have it that bad, but I am afraid of big open bodies of water. I think even if I could swim, I would still hate it. I'm not completely sure where this one came from, but it could be from when I was younger and I wouldn't learn to swim, so my dad dunked my head under water for what seemed like too long of a time.

Yusshin
May 7th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Now that I think of it, I forgot one of my worst phobias:

- Odontophobia- Fear of teeth, dentists, dental surgery, and/or losing your teeth

I'm am so scared to lose my teeth o_o I have nightmares.

Forever
May 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Will says (4:52 PM):
*J.D has awesome fears.
» Forever n' ever says (4:52 PM):
*Spiders, being alone, heights... um. snakes. what else. and the dark/ghosts
*Normal fears~
Will says (4:52 PM):
*He's scared of pennies.

And cbf'd getting proper names for mine. :D Also kind of fear of confrontation, which is a bad thing for someone who wants to be a journalist. XD Though only with people I know, so.. yeah.