PDA

View Full Version : First wind farm in U.S. that's offshore in Nantucket Sound

Muffin™
April 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
BOSTON, MA, APRIL 28, 2010 – U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today announced his approval of Cape Wind with a favorable Record of Decision for the project to be constructed on Horseshoe Shoal in Nantucket Sound off the coast of Massachusetts.

“Secretary Salazar’s decision today to approve Cape Wind has launched the American offshore wind industry. It allows our nation to harness an abundant and inexhaustible clean energy source for greater energy independence, a healthier environment and green jobs,” said Cape Wind President Jim Gordon.

Reflecting on the near decade long permitting path for Cape wind, Gordon said, “Going first is never easy and Cape Wind is proud of the role we played in raising awareness for what will become a major component of our energy future and in helping the United States develop a regulatory framework for this new exciting industry.

“What enabled Cape Wind to reach this crucial milestone is the steadfast support of leading environmental, labor, health and trade organizations and the support of the overwhelming majority of Massachusetts citizens who have repeatedly made their voices heard. We also appreciate Governor Deval Patrick’s support, vision and leadership to make Massachusetts a global leader in offshore renewables and the clean energy economy. Thank you to all those who made this day possible,” Gordon added.

“While this project was exhaustively analyzed and debated and even with Federal and State approvals demonstrating the significant environmental and economic benefits of Cape Wind, we recognize there are some local opponents who disagree, with Secretary Salazar’s decision. We appreciate their involvement in helping to shape the project and we now reach out to ask them to join the community and country in ushering in a new era of environmental stewardship, energy security and prosperity,” Gordon added.

Looking ahead, Gordon said, “We hope to begin construction of Cape Wind before the end of the year.”

Cape Wind completed State and local permitting in 2009.

Cape Wind’s proposal to build America’s first offshore wind farm on Horseshoe Shoal would provide most of the electricity used on Cape Cod and the Islands from clean, renewable energy - reducing this region’s need to import oil, coal and gas. Cape Wind will create new jobs, help stabilize electric costs, contribute to a healthier environment, increase energy independence and establish Massachusetts as a leader in offshore wind power. For more information visit www.capewind.org (http://www.capewind.org).

Finally. The government has gone out of the stone age. I have no idea why people are against this. I approve this (b")b

mystletainn
April 30th, 2010, 05:16 PM
My friend's cousin is one of the forces behind this. I'm pretty excited. I'll throw my support behind most alternative energy methods (besides things like burning babies).

donavannj
April 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Finally something that takes advantage of the windiest areas of the United States: the coasts. I mean, they're only so many wind turbines that can be fit in the Plains states before before mixed-use farms use more of their land for electricity as opposed to food.

Esper
April 30th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I heard that the people against this are upset because it will spoil their view and also some Native American groups who say the wind turbines will block some of the light from the morning sun which is important for their religious rites.

The more renewable power the better.

Ayselipera
April 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm really excited about this especially since it's happening in my own state. It's nice to know that others around me are as equally environmentally friendly as me... or as I try to be. Anyways it's a nice step in the right direction.

Cassino
April 30th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I heard that the people against this are upset because it will spoil their view
I never understood the 'bad view' argument against wind turbines, it's like deeming one's own city skyline an evil sight — that city was once a nicer looking forest, they should know. I think a landscape of turbines looks alright if not nice, reminds me of a countryside with windmills, although I guess Americans aren't familiar with that scene...

My own argument against wind turbines in general would be that they aren't efficient for the amount of space they take up, but hey, what else are people gonna do with the sea of all things? In all, every argument against them seems lame.

Morkula
May 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
This is excellent news. Incidents like the oil spill in the Gulf just serve to give us even more reason to find alternate energy methods like wind and solar. There are several places on the coast that could make great use of wind power - it's clean, efficient, and infinite. Rather than chanting "Drill, baby, drill" and planning to start more offshore drilling projects, maybe the government will wake up and start spending that time and money putting up more wind farms like this one, along with solar panels.

Jordan
May 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Any news about a step towards increased utilization of renewable energy resources is good news.

Netto Azure
May 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Any news about a step towards increased utilization of renewable energy resources is good news.

I'll go with this. (b")b

Anyways this has been building up for a while. Finally that $80 Billion for Renewables under the Recovery Act is jump starting things.

ANARCHit3cht
May 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM
This is a step in the right direction. I give my official approval. :D