PDA

View Full Version : Death?

John-117
May 3rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
So here is what i want to know.
sorry for my bad english.

I am fifteen years old. I would like to ask you a few questions, but I do not know if they are relate to physic. My questions started when I am ten. At that time almost every night, I was afraid of ghost and skeletal appear in front or behind me while I am sleeping. Solving this problem is easy. Two years later, I found something that really, really bothers me. The thing is Death. At that time, I study in a Catholic school. People in there believe heaven and hell. I believe at first. After I know the “mystery” of the sky, I start to not believe it. I really want to know what will happen if we die. My second question is –what is me? Why I am feeling myself? People said we are soul and we have this body. When we die, our soul will come out. Scientists said because the nerves system.( I forgot where I heard this.) I also though that when I person die, he/she just disappear forever and he/she never feel that “me” again. Every time I thought about it, I can feel that my body is going to explode.

John-117
May 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
so....what do you think. Have you ever thought about it. We have to face it some day......
I forgot to tell everyone. Orginally, I want to send this to a phsicist, but I think it is better to send it and share it here.

Spinor
May 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hmmm... Life, The universe and Everything... doesn't necessarily mean topics like these XD. It's under Technology for a reason...

Well anyways. I stopped basically reading at "fifteen years old". It's total bull that young people even begin to worry about this kind of subject. Death is something all organisms will go through. And nobody knows what's after death.

Deal with, tough cookies. Just don't think about this crap and live a life as ****ing awesome as you can make it... and no, I don't mean going around and bunking with every random girl you see.

Åzurε
May 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Eh, in an effort to provide useful information:

Science, while citing the brain and nervous system as what controls what, and gives us coherent thought (no comment on sentience), seems to point to the existence of a soul on some level. Coma patients and the like can have, to the extent of our current knowledge about such things, fully operational nervous systems and still be in a vegetative state. Very often, nothing can be done to revive the person.

John-117
May 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
ya, but.....I don't know why I have this scary feeling and I want someone to help me so I won't worry every night or other time. I just.....want something that can comfort me forever......

donavannj
May 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM
You gotta live life to its fullest, otherwise you will become worried about what happens afterward because you feel idle. Worry about death when it actually happens. Just be sure not to get killed on your way to old age. (b'-')b

Zet
May 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM
While you may have been confused with the subforum name, LUE is really just for "hey you want a lockerz invite?" and "have you been to this flash game site? if so what's your favorite game?". And seeing as how this is really something for more on the discussion side it belongs in Other Chat.
~moves.

Death is a natural thing in life, but to say someone disappears forever would be incorrect, the person will always be in our minds and memory forever so no one can truly disappear forever. And while you may feel like your body is going to explode, that's just crazy talk... not unless God wants your body to explode then that's another story. :P

But people have had things called "near-death experiences" and saw their own vision of the after life and some of them may have seen nothing because they didn't believe in God or belong to any religion, but I think God willing accepts anyone into Heaven, despite what religion they belong to.

So you really shouldn't think or worry too much over the thought of death, no one can escape it.

thepsynergist
May 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
"You can't win the game of Life."

Kenpari
May 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
This sounds like a kind of religion vs science thing. The way the scientists put it, humans are groups of many many cells, some forming tissues, organs, whatever. The cells carry out our bodily functions, and whenever we give way and die, we are simply dead. No more than that. No Heaven, no Hell, no anything of the sort.

The Catholics and some other religions, however, believe differently. I was raised as a Catholic, and you mentioned you are going to Catholic school. It is believed by myself that whenever you die your body is left behind and your soul is sent up to Heaven(or hell, it depends on whether you lead a good life or not) and you will live for eternity in joy and happiness. Both sides claim to be in the right, but nobody can really know for sure. It's just what you want to believe. You are being raised as a Catholic and are going to a Catholic school, so you are being taught the God, Heaven, Hell side of it.

Really there is no answer to what happens to you after you die. Once more, it's just what you believe. Whether you think you are going to Heaven(if you lead a good life) or are going to go to Hell(lead quite a horrible life or the like) or if you are going to simply be "gone" is just part of your beliefs.

John-117
May 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
ya, I don't think about it when I awake. I think about it when I'm lying on the bed and can't sleep.
Death is a natural thing in life, but to say someone disappears forever would be incorrect, the person will always be in our minds and memory forever so no one can truly disappear forever.
What I mean is I thought we might not feel ourselves after we die. You know how you can feel "this-is-me"? Ya this is wasting time, but....thanks for posting and make me feel better now. :)

Trap-Eds
May 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
ya, I don't think about it when I awake. I think about it when I'm lying on the bed and can't sleep.

Been there, done that. The best thing to do is to just accept life as it is and move on. Keep striving for happiness and a long life. :)

poopnoodle
May 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
we've all contemplated death and it's an overwhelming idea, but it's inevitable and no one is truly certain of the answer to what happens after. so the most you can do is accept the fact that we're all going to die and move on; and seeing as this life is the only life we're guaranteed, fulfill your goals and desires, try to live a life you're proud of.

Sneeze
May 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Related:

http://www.little-gamers.com/comics/2010-02-26.gif

Saltare.
May 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm acutally in New York for my grandpa's funeral. He was sick. I was just here about two weeks ago for my other grandparents who died in a car accident.

It happens to everyone.

The hard thing is explaining to young kids that they don't have any grandparents because of death...

FreakyLocz14
May 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Death isn't that bad. When I died I felt nothing but peace. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Jolene
May 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Science, while citing the brain and nervous system as what controls what, and gives us coherent thought (no comment on sentience), seems to point to the existence of a soul on some level.

It depends on who's carrying out the study.

And to me, the thought of getting old is scarier than dying. Getting more and more frail, hair turning white and all sagging skin, as friends and family die one after another. Not nice at all.

Death_Mande
May 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Death Is everywhere around us. You should live life to it's best and fullest. No one actually knows exactly when someone else dies. I personally don't fear Death, it'll happen to everyone someday. And remember, "Cowards Die many times before there time, but only the Brave die once."

John-117
May 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys! This really helped me!! :) :) :)

Finnix
May 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hey I've also grown up going to a Catholic school and lots of their teachings don't make any sense to me anymore when you try to fit them with the science that proves so many of their teachings wrong. It ended up leading me not to not believe in the old testament, but only to believe the teachings of Jesus, man if you just live life to the fullest (This means experiencing the good times, messing up, and even losing the ones you love) you will end up living a great life knowing/loving them you will gain their unconditional love. With this said i hope you will have no worries about death my friend :P

Grim MotherF*ing Reaper 1234567890
May 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Did somebody call?...

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Yusshin
May 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Nobody knows what happens after death because obviously, there haven't been any witnesses who've come back to tell the tale.

It's an age-old question that no one can answer and jogs many humans' minds. I believe in Heaven, and I believe in a Hell focused on our phobias as punishment. I believe we all have unique souls within our bodies who "escape" after our physical being dies. There are some who believe differently, and might even say that religion teaches this to "make people feel more comfortable with death", but I actually find that having a soul makes more sense than not having one at all. We can't just die and not exist anymore. That doesn't make sense to me.

People will think and ask themselves "what happens after death?" many times in life. We're all curious, but no one can ever know until they really do die.

Guillermo
May 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Nobody knows what happens after death because obviously, there haven't been any witnesses who've come back to tell the tale.
There have been people who have died and had doctors bring them back to life. They all speak of practically the same thing.

Death is a weird topic. I guess the best way to deal with it is live a life you're happy with, and strive to be your best.

Yusshin
May 5th, 2010, 11:55 PM
There have been people who have died and had doctors bring them back to life. They all speak of practically the same thing.

Those people were technically dead by medical standards, but I'm talking about the "you can't reviv'em" people. If you can revive someone from death, then I don't count them as 100% dead. There's still hope for them, so they aren't really "dead", if you get what I mean.

Even then, the people who do come back from their "dead" state speak of a white light. One man even said he saw someone and spoke to him about something that was sworn to secrecy. When he was revived, he couldn't remember anything the man had told him - just that there was a man who talked to him.

I read that in the newspaper anyway.

Guillermo
May 6th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Those people were technically dead by medical standards, but I'm talking about the "you can't reviv'em" people. If you can revive someone from death, then I don't count them as 100% dead. There's still hope for them, so they aren't really "dead", if you get what I mean.

Even then, the people who do come back from their "dead" state speak of a white light. One man even said he saw someone and spoke to him about something that was sworn to secrecy. When he was revived, he couldn't remember anything the man had told him - just that there was a man who talked to him.

I read that in the newspaper anyway.
Even if there's hope for them, they're dead. If your heart physically stops and you have no pulse, you're dead. It doesn't matter if you're being revived or not.

Grim MotherF*ing Reaper 1234567890
May 6th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Actually, real death occurs when there is no pulse and no brain activity. Technically, the brain is still alive even without pulse, but it's dying. You are dead when the brain completely shuts down and no body functions can be continued.

If you revive a person while the brain is still active, the brain-heart dependance cycle can continue and the person's body functions continue. The body functions just stop on cardiac arrest. Once the brain goes, then you're gone for sure.

How would I know this?... oh come on. :P

Heart's Soul
May 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Well, death is a special thing. We see it as something horrendous, but nobody wants to live forever. I had thoughts about suicide at one point because I noticed I am no more than just a slave in a world where no true freedoms exist living under the monetary existence that is currency, but I changed my mind. I enjoy life to the fullest and I do not believe that death can stop it. I die. It happens, who knows what may happen after?

(Or maybe I get revived :P)

Captain Riolu
May 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Death isn't that bad. When I died I felt nothing but peace. There's nothing to be afraid of.

I feel terrible for finding this hilarious.

FreakyLocz14
May 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I feel terrible for finding this hilarious.

Why? Death is nothing to laught at.

hiphiphippo
May 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
There is no life without death.
apart from that..
the more you think about death, the more confused you get. and then it becomes scary
or at least that's how it is with me..

Idiot!
May 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Everyone has to die. After they die, everyone goes to heaven, because everyone almost always thinks they are right. To prevent overcrowding in heaven, we get reborn again as who-knows-what.

Izanagi
May 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
There's Heaven, and there's Hell. Those who've accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour go to Heaven, eternal happiness, when they die, and those who don't go to Hell, eternal suffering and damnation.

Simple.

poopnoodle
May 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM
i love how people smugly barge in here and tell people what's going to happen when they die as if they're certain.

Those who've accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour go to Heaven, eternal happiness, when they die, and those who don't go to Hell, eternal suffering and damnation.
sounds a bit like an abusive relationship between god and his people, does it not? lets start looking past the 'answers' our parents fed us and do some critical thinking for ourselves.

Death is nothing to laught at.
why not? if you can't laugh at the painful truths, life can get pretty miserable for you.

Izanagi
May 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Are you really any different? Waltzing in here and telling us that our beliefs are pure fairytales that out parents fed us? Get outta here with that ********. You're no better than anyone else. I know what happens after death. I don't see you helping anything.

Gold warehouse
May 8th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I know what happens after death.
If you're posting this, I assume that you're still alive. If you're still alive, how can you know what happens after death?

Guillermo
May 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Are you really any different? Waltzing in here and telling us that our beliefs are pure fairytales that out parents fed us? Get outta here with that ********. You're no better than anyone else. I know what happens after death. I don't see you helping anything.
When in that post did she say your beliefs are fairytales?

poopnoodle
May 8th, 2010, 07:00 AM
waltzing, more graceful than your barging. please point out where i said your beliefs were wrong. you're the one asserting how right you are.

Izanagi
May 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I may just be jumpin the gun, but when people say that parents feed us "answers" they're usually implying parenst are feeding us bullcrap. Hence the quotes.

They call me Brandon Lee
May 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
HAY GUIZE

Death's kind of awesome. There's so much crap you can't do in real life, but I still kinda miss Earth. Although things are kind of the suck down there so I'm probably going to just hang around here before I resurrect myself, lol

Spinor
May 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Ok, I know death has much to do with religion, but Izanagi, that's sort of pushing it. Have you thought about other religions that are isolated and forced to never hear about Jesus's word. Do they go to hell? That is, if that is the case of afterlife. Because truth is nobody know for real what happens in death.

All we have is science to explain the phenomenon. As I said in my poor banned alternated (XD) You don't really die until your brain activity terminates. After that it's all pure mystery.

Izanagi
May 8th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Just posting my view on it froma a Christian stand point. Didn't expect for everyone to just fall in line. I don't know about isolated people. I'd think that if you've never heard of Jesus Christ you would be given grace, sort of like a child who cannot understand would, or God would send someone to spread the Gospel. Again, this is from a Christian standing point.

Sneeze
May 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
You where posting it from a "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, ACCEPT IT" point of view not a "This is what I, as a Christian, believe happens" one.

And no, no it's not simple, it's far from simple.

Also, if you don't "accept" Jesus you go to hell, if you do heaven. What if you are good person, what if you do charity work, have a happy family, help the needy, but atheist? do you go to hell then? What if you are a bad person, hurt people, maybe even kill, commit adultery but at thiest? Do you get into heaven (Assuming you confess before you die)?

WolfgangWhiplash
May 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
About this heaven/hell talk...
I'm an atheist.
Maybe there is something beyond death, maybe it is just a passing sleep, though. We don't know. The religious can believe in something, but at the end of the day, they aren't sure of it. Everybody is agnostic if logic and reasoning is applied (not calling anyone dumb here, just saying that religious people act on feeling instead of logic), but religious people feel their faith, they feel it like it's there. Well, that's probably something only they can feel, maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong.
I have no idea how death is like, but I want to die one day, this is why I refuse the idea of a heaven. Immortality is too painful, the heaven would turn into hell after a couple of centuries. I want a final rest. I am terribly afraid of dying and leaving a son without a father to raise him in the future, otherwise, may death come.

This is from an atheist stand point. Don't get offended.

EDIT: corrected a typo.

Spinor
May 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm an atheist.
Maybe there is something beyond death, maybe it is just a passing sleep, though. We don't know. The religious can believe in something, but at the end of the day, they aren't sure of it. Everybody is agnostic if logic and reasoning is applied (not calling anyone dumb here, just saying that religious people act on feeling instead of logic), but religious people feel their faith, they feel it like it's there. Well, that's probably something only they can feel, maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong.
I have no idea how death is like, but I want to die one day, this is why I refuse the idea of a heaven. Immortality is too painful, the heaven would turn into hell after a couple of centuries. I want a final rest. I am terribly afraid of dying and leaving a son without a father to raise him in the future, otherwise, may death come.

Then again, it is possible that either heaven is something mere mortals can never imagine. Or it could lead to the concept of reincarnation.

Yeah, reincarnation is possible. When you die your soul energy or whatever is probably shot up from your body and attracted to a fertilization somewhere else. Peace gets boring after a while too, you know. So why not keep living as something else?

WolfgangWhiplash
May 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Then again, it is possible that either heaven is something mere mortals can never imagine. Or it could lead to the concept of reincarnation.

Yeah, reincarnation is possible. When you die your soul energy or whatever is probably shot up from your body and attracted to a fertilization somewhere else. Peace gets boring after a while too, you know. So why not keep living as something else?

I don't mind reincarnation. But it's pretty pointless if you don't remember your past life, isn't it?

It's more like a Divine Soul Recycling Project, other than something we actually experience.

Bah.

Anyway, even if heaven had Heavy Metal and pretty girls forever, I would still want to die sooner or later.

The Corrupt Plague
May 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I am not afraid of death because I know that it is eventual. I am only afraid of some of the painful ways of getting there that are beyond my control, like murder or cancer because you have to go through a lot of suffering and wait them out for what feels like an eternity. The best way to die, in my opinion, would be in a deep sleep without even knowing.

Åzurε
May 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
And no, no it's not simple, it's far from simple.
A term I use is "complex simplicity". You can sum it up, but the underlying explanation and such is what gives the short version meaning.

Also, if you don't "accept" Jesus you go to hell, if you do heaven. What if you are good person, what if you do charity work, have a happy family, help the needy, but atheist? do you go to hell then?
Yes. It's not abusive, it's a tough fact. One sin qualifies you for eternal separation from God. Christ's death cleanses sin. My little take on it is this: Upon dying, the Bible says the faithful become like God. Perhaps it's a fusion of consciousness. God, as a perfect being is not able to become one and the same with an imperfect being. Disaster ensues.

What if you are a bad person, hurt people, maybe even kill, commit adultery but a theist? Do you get into heaven (Assuming you confess before you die)?
If one were to assume that it was a true, deep-as-the-core confession, I'd say yes. If the person lives saying they were Christian, and did nothing to change their behavior from doing all those things, they were living a lie. En fin.

I'm an atheist.
Religious people don't have to act on feeling instead of logic. it's simply a matter of accepting truth, and applying it as such to their sense of logic.

I admit, Heaven didn't seem appealing to me either. It took contemplation, study, and eventually a new perspective merged. It's not something I can really describe in so many words.

WolfgangWhiplash
May 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Religious people don't have to act on feeling instead of logic. it's simply a matter of accepting truth, and applying it as such to their sense of logic.You think so? There are countless illogical inconsistencies on the bible/kuran/buddha's teachings/etc. And lots of things that science has proven wrong. And yet there are religious people that still know, as a fact, that they're right?

I don't think so. Nobody is sure how death is like, otherwise, we wouldn't be afraid of dying. Even the most holy of humans will try to survive at a critical condition. Why is that? It's because we're all agnostics at the very core. We're not sure of anything. It's beyond human knowledge and comprehension, as of today.

All that religious people can do is believe. And that, is feeling.
Everyone else thinks about the most logical end.

Åzurε
May 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM
You think so? There are countless illogical inconsistencies on the bible/kuran/buddha's teachings/etc. And lots of things that science has proven wrong.
I'm not concerned with the Koran or Buddhism, name something science can disprove about the Bible. Not theoretical or assumed, proven.

And yet there are religious people that still know, as a fact, that they're right? I don't think so. Nobody is sure how death is like, otherwise, we wouldn't be afraid of dying. Even the most holy of humans will try to survive at a critical condition. Why is that? It's because we're all agnostics at the very core. We're not sure of anything.
Martyrs, remember? Jesus and the Apostles didn't resist death. I'm not afraid of dying myself, for death's sake. I'd love to keep living, young as I am, but if it happens it happens. I'd obviously try to sway things that encourage my living, but it's not fear. I've got people to help, and maybe chillin's to raise. And it's not fear for many people I know who are in Iraq or the hospital with terminal cancer. You can be unsure, and so are most people, but Not everyone is. Outside of Christianity there are those Muslim extremist suicide bombers who work on a far more violent expression of the same concept.

It's beyond human knowledge and comprehension, as of today.

All that religious people can do is believe. And that, is feeling.
Everyone else thinks about the most logical end.
As of today, huh?

Are you saying that faith makes a person illogical (real question)? I have yet to see anything factual and logical that contradicts my faith.

I don't plan to carry this on for much longer, lest the mods attack. But one more round or VMs are okay with me.

Aureol
May 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Death is an interesting concept.

If there is no afterlife, you may be sad for a while, but everything must come to an end. It sucks, but it's inevitable, and we can only move on.

If there is an afterlife, death isn't all that sad because it's only a temporary separation, not really an end.

Either way, death isn't all that bad to the guy going through it in my opinion. It does tend to be pretty bad to those who loved him or her though.

Are you saying that faith makes a person illogical (real question)? I have yet to see anything factual and logical that contradicts my faith.

Classic argument: atheists are obviously immoral, while religious folks are obviously idiots. I like the way this article puts it: Sarcasm Society! (http://blog.sarcasmsociety.com/religion-spirituality/atheism-makes-you-smart.html)

I refuse to be baited by people that claim science has disproven much of religion...

FreakyLocz14
May 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Death is an interesting concept.

If there is no afterlife, you may be sad for a while, but everything must come to an end. It sucks, but it's inevitable, and we can only move on.

If there is an afterlife, death isn't all that sad because it's only a temporary separation, not really an end.

Either way, death isn't all that bad to the guy going through it in my opinion. It does tend to be pretty bad to those who loved him or her though.

Classic argument: atheists are obviously immoral, while religious folks are obviously idiots. I like the way this article puts it: Sarcasm Society! (http://blog.sarcasmsociety.com/religion-spirituality/atheism-makes-you-smart.html)

I refuse to be baited by people that claim science has disproven much of religion...

Afterlife=a chance your loved on went to Hell

Guillermo
May 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Afterlife=a chance your loved on went to Hell
See, now you're forcing your religion on everyone by saying that there is absolutely, no flaws, a Heaven and a Hell.

Death is one of those things you can look at and say, "Gee, I wonder what will happen after I die? I want to know but I don't want to die yet." Personally, for me, living forever would make me miserable. Really, there's a time when you would keep telling yourself you want to die because you're sick of living and you'll say to yourself, "Dammit, this is going to go on forever. :|"

FreakyLocz14
May 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
See, now you're forcing your religion on everyone by saying that there is absolutely, no flaws, a Heaven and a Hell.

Death is one of those things you can look at and say, "Gee, I wonder what will happen after I die? I want to know but I don't want to die yet." Personally, for me, living forever would make me miserable. Really, there's a time when you would keep telling yourself you want to die because you're sick of living and you'll say to yourself, "Dammit, this is going to go on forever. :|"

I was quoting what the above user said. He/she said that death is peaceful whether there is a an afterlife or not. I was just pointing out that if there is indeed an afterlife there could be a Hell, which would not be peaceful.

Guillermo
May 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I was quoting what the above user said. He/she said that death is peaceful whether there is a an afterlife or not. I was just pointing out that if there is indeed an afterlife there could be a Hell, which would not be peaceful.
Yes, but you could have worded your post better, by saying that there could be a hell, not there is a hell.

But yeah, if there is a hell and we didn't do good then sucks to be us. :D

Aureol
May 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM

Well, based on my beliefs, you only end up in hell if you're a really bad person (and I mean REALLY bad), so you had it coming. If it turns out that we were required to follow a certain religion or burn forever, and we didn't pick the special religion, then I agree: we're pretty screwed :\

Yes, but you could have worded your post better, by saying that there could be a hell, not there's a hell.

Lighten up a little bit... many people automatically assume that God doesn't exist around me, but I don't go jumping on them for it. I'm just saying that mostly because I usually state many things such as Jesus living and heaven existing as fact, even though it is obviously my opinion, and I don't want to be ranted at for not including every single opinion in my post :P

FreakyLocz14
May 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
All the churches I've attended said Heaven/Hell is based on whether you had faith in Christ or not and has nothing to do with whether or not you are a bad person.

In God's eyes everybody is a bad person because everybody has sinned at least once in their life so if it was based on your deeds everybody would end up in Hell. Christ died to exonorate us form our sins and it is an absolutely free gift from Him but to benefit you have to accept it.

This is just how I see it you don't have to prescribe to my beliefs.

Guillermo
May 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Lighten up a little bit... many people automatically assume that God doesn't exist around me, but I don't go jumping on them for it. I'm just saying that mostly because I usually state many things such as Jesus living and heaven existing as fact, even though it is obviously my opinion, and I don't want to be ranted at for not including every single opinion in my post :P
Lighten up? I don't quite understand how I could be any less lightened up as of now. By telling him he could have worded his post better, I'm ranting at him? Really? I'm just saying what I want to say, so there you go.

FreakyLocz14
May 10th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I'm a her by the way, guys.

Åzurε
May 10th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I did not see that coming. XD

AimayBee
May 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I'm a her by the way, guys.
Noone ever checks the gender thingy... They just look at the profile pic. lol

Anyway! Death... I've met her, i've shaken hands with her but she let me go...

My girlfriend helped me believe in a soul and as soul mates i am not bothered what happens to my body, i'll be with her forever!

So death is not too bad for me.

And as for the religious standing on death, this guy called Jesus died yes? Can i ask, where were the nails nailed into him on the cross?

Heart's Soul
May 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't believe in an afterlife. I'm just not religious.

But, if what the 9 commandments say is true, then nobody can live in heaven. Everyone is evil in some point. Like me or my friend, Kristoph.

WolfgangWhiplash
May 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I don't plan to carry this on for much longer, lest the mods attack. But one more round or VMs are okay with me.

Whoa, chill bro. Sorry if I made you mad. I can see your point now, btw.

EDIT: But no, I didn't say faith makes someone illogical, I just said faith is something that's felt. Also, science has proven the bible wrong in our creation, hence the whole christians against evolution and stuff.

Åzurε
May 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Whoa, chill bro. Sorry if I made you mad. I can see your point now, btw.

EDIT: But no, I didn't say faith makes someone illogical, I just said faith is something that's felt. Also, science has proven the bible wrong in our creation, hence the whole christians against evolution and stuff.

I'm chill, I promise. Not mad. Just saying, stuff like that tends to get locked really fast in here.

"All religious people can do is believe... everyone else thinks about the logical end" Looking on it now, I think I see what you meant. Atheists think only about the death part of death, or something to that effect. I was kind of getting on to you about your phrasing in the first place.

AimayBee: "Can i ask, where were the nails nailed into him on the cross?"

I'd assume, where the Romans usually put nails into people while crucifying them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion). ;]

AimayBee
May 11th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I'd assume, where the Romans usually put nails into people while crucifying them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion). ;]

I guessed that, hun. But most figurines or those thingies religious people have the guy on the cross is nailed by his hands.
Seems logical at first but if you think about it, the weight of the average made would make a massive rip down his hand and split it clean in two.
He would of had to have the nails through his wrist to keep him up.

And everyone always says they did him through the hands... Umm... Not possible... Unlesss being the son of god makes him anti-gravity guy?

Anyway, went a little of topic with religion, some kid is scared of death and all people are saying is that the kid's going hell if he doesn't like become jesus b**ch...

If you are with those you love, death isn't such a scary prospect.

Guillermo
May 11th, 2010, 03:57 AM
If you are with those you love, death isn't such a scary prospect.
Until you then realise that eventually you'll have to leave them, or they'll leave you.

AimayBee
May 11th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Until you then realise that eventually you'll have to leave them, or they'll leave you.
I already know that.
But i'm not bothered about death because i'm much more interested in life... And there willl be no crying at my funeral... I'm leaving that in my will. lol
When i get around to making one... In about 70 years... lol

Do you have someone special that makes death less scary?

Guillermo
May 11th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I already know that.
But i'm not bothered about death because i'm much more interested in life... And there willl be no crying at my funeral... I'm leaving that in my will. lol
When i get around to making one... In about 70 years... lol

Do you have someone special that makes death less scary?
I'm just not scared of death because I personally believe there's more behind life than just rotting in the ground, and I don't mean Heaven or Hell. Telling people not to cry at your funeral would be a waste of space, because they will.

And no, I don't. I have people that makes living much more awesome.

AimayBee
May 11th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I'm just not scared of death because I personally believe there's more behind life than just rotting in the ground, and I don't mean Heaven or Hell. Telling people not to cry at your funeral would be a waste of space, because they will.

And no, I don't. I have people that makes living much more awesome.
I believe the same thing but i hope there is something better... I hope there is something better.

And the crying thing... I can make people do anything. ^^ lol

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 11th, 2010, 04:18 AM

Or better yet, you shouldn't need to feel as if you have no right to believe these things publicly. ;/ This is the poster's thread, not an open religion debate thread. It seems to me we as posters should be considering what he has asked for, not coming here to argue with others.

To the poster...
There's really no reason to question heaven and hell. When you think about it, it's pretty self-evident that something is going on. I mean the universe and the human species are just this insanely improbable coincidence otherwise. Simply do what you feel is ultimately right, and try to take pride in it. That's how I get by, anyway.

Richard Lynch
May 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
A lot of people have been throwing around the idea of a Soul (something I don't believe in, personally), but, being a scientist myself, it always reminds me of a rather eerie experiment performed near the beginning of the last century...

Weight of the Soul (http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp)

(Gotta love Snopes <3)

Anyway, about death, I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. If you strip away the religious implications, you have what I call "The Big Sleep". Think about it... life is hard. You spend about 1/3 of it preparing for work (some people take up to half of their life preparing), and the rest of it actually working. Life is not easy, and while you must enjoy it to the fullest extent possible, death is truly a nice way to end it. You just go to sleep... for a really long time. No more worries, both personal and financial, no more health concerns, no more pain. (Just a note, what I'm saying is a suicidal kid's wet dream, so don't get any ideas, anyone who's depressed! Life is a hotel you shouldn't check yourself out of).

Death is the only thing that unites us all. No matter your ethnicity, social standing, education, profession, or how much money you're worth, everyone still ends up in the same place: six feet under.

Is that so bad?

I believe that you can only truly learn to appreciate life when you've learned to accept (and perhaps even embrace) death. Life is a zero sum game: you come from nothing, you go back to nothing. What've you lost? Nothing!

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 11th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Well you've got the right idea, Mr. Lynch.

I believe we could do more to persuade them (Suicidals) that death is not in fact better, a solution, though.

Richard Lynch
May 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Well you've got the right idea, Mr. Lynch.

I believe we could do more to persuade them (Suicidals) that death is not in fact better, a solution, though.

Oh, I agree.

But at the same time, it's very hard to convince people that your opinion of life is what they should believe... some people, like myself, see life as simply something to enjoy in all aspects. Others see it as advancement in a career (we all know at least one workaholic). Yet still others see it as something you should suffer through (look at some hard-core Catholics, Opus Dei-style), which is the complete opposite of my belief.

Same thing with the unhealthy vs. health freaks. I enjoy unhealthy food, and I don't exercise very much (among other unhealthy activities)... the health freaks would say I'm committing slow suicide because I do what I enjoy. It's a hard thing to balance. haha

Off topic, my apologies.

诶伊艾诶豆诶维伊
May 11th, 2010, 06:26 AM
if i think about it, I wonder...
will I be alive again someday?
will I be remembered?
will I go to heaven?
or hell?
I don't know...
it's creepy to think about.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 11th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Oh, I agree.

But at the same time, it's very hard to convince people that your opinion of life is what they should believe... some people, like myself, see life as simply something to enjoy in all aspects. Others see it as advancement in a career (we all know at least one workaholic). Yet still others see it as something you should suffer through (look at some hard-core Catholics, Opus Dei-style), which is the complete opposite of my belief.

This is true, but I think we can all agree it's important to avoid suicide in any form as much as we can(Within Human and Moral Limit), and important to instill at least the value of life onto others.

Of course, John seems to be seeking comfort. This to me suggests he is having a hard time believing this sort of thing, or perhaps that he wants a friend.

I'd personally classify myself as highly religious. Isn't it odd that we see eye to eye? It's pleasant, to say the least.
But at that, I have moved slightly off topic as well.

Richard Lynch
May 11th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I'd personally classify myself as highly religious. Isn't it odd that we see eye to eye? It's pleasant, to say the least.
But at that, I have moved slightly off topic as well.

It is rather odd, considering I, myself, am an outspoken atheist (and, I'd even venture to admit, a die-hard anti-religionist).

I personally do not believe life has any intrinsic value... we are merely biological organisms with the ability to ask questions, and its in those questions that philosophy, religion, and even science (yes, my own field) stem from, albeit each has its own degree of logic. However! I believe life should be individually cherished, because I enjoy life, and I think other people should as well. I don't believe in any afterlife, so death isn't that bad of a scenario, but let's face it: life is fun! That's the bottom line. Between learning more about the world around us, watching TV, playing music, or even just playing Pokemon (among other games), life is pretty nice. Questions are good, health is moderately important, and curiosity never truly killed the cat, but sometimes you just have to sit down with a good book and be fat, enjoy everything around you - the tastes, textures, smells. Everything! You only get to experience it for so long (because looking at the alive-to-dead time ratio, it's basically one to infinity), so why not enjoy it?

That's just my opinion, though. And yes, off-topic... though if you'd like to continue this discussion, Yellow, perhaps PMs or VMs are in order. ;)

flight
May 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I believe that one should enjoy life as much as possible instead of worrying about death. Seeing this from a psychological perspective, being concerned about death only causes you to be more focused on it, and causes your main concern(or one of) to be about death, which is sorta unhealthy in my eyes.

Death is something that will come after life, and going from Guillermo's post, there are some that have witnessed what death was like and perhaps have lived to tell about it, but I believe that was during a near-death situation and heaven forbid that we were put in a near-death situation just to experience what death was like.

Death will comes when it comes, in my perspective. Life is the primary focus at the moment, so why not take the opportunity to live life(although as cliche as this is) to the fullest?

Sneeze
May 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I believe that one should enjoy life as much as possible instead of worrying about death. Seeing this from a psychological perspective, being concerned about death only causes you to be more focused on it, and causes your main concern(or one of) to be about death, which is sorta unhealthy in my eyes.

Death is something that will come after life, and going from Guillermo's post, there are some that have witnessed what death was like and perhaps have lived to tell about it, but I believe that was during a near-death situation and heaven forbid that we were put in a near-death situation just to experience what death was like.

Death will comes when it comes, in my perspective. Life is the primary focus at the moment, so why not take the opportunity to live life(although as cliche as this is) to the fullest?

"It isn't death we should fear, but a life poorly lived" ~ Yakko, Animaniacs.

:3

Eternal Nightmare
May 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Death is inevitable. We all are going to die one day, so why fear what going to happen anyway. Why fear what can't be stop?
So the best solution is live. Live life to its fullest potential, have a laugh one or two in your life with friends and family, and importantly love yourself your life and the world around you until your time has come. Well that is just my take on so called "death."

FreakyLocz14
May 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've experienced death, being dead and I tell you it's not bad at all unless you're a damned soul.

Just live your life to the fullest and be happy so your family will see a smile on teh face of your corpse.

John-117
May 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
thanks guys! I'm now 100% happy! :) Just yesterday, I went to sleep the second I lay on my bed. :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
May 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I attempt to live life to its fullest because death can strike at any time, and when it does I want to say I didn't waste it. Plus, I'm not sure if the afterlife is better or worse than our lives on earth, so I want to have a good time in this life in case afterward it's... not so pleasant...

Corvus of the Black Night
May 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I hate how both sides can be so arrogant about death. Nobody knows what happens, and we all have different ideas about what goes on when it does happen. So stop your "I'M RITE AND UR RONG" ********.

Personally, I think that all life has an unknown force that, for whatever reason, has not been detected thus far. Of course, if substantial scientific evidence shows otherwise, as well as no evidence supporting it, I will change my opinion. It seems that the debate is completely open at the moment.

TheUltimateSacrifice
May 14th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Your fear distorts reality, and if you let it, it will fester like a thorn in your side, and consume you.

Death is what makes life so great...

Don't concern yourself with heaven or hell, what is "right", or "wrong"; just learn enough to avoid ignorance, experience enough to learn love, and risk enough to see heartache. Naturally enough you will find an equilibrium in life; tolerance and love will help you to attain this. Live according to your heart and mind, and the world will be your oyster.

Jammy-182
May 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Well, my uncle recently committed suicide, he used to always tell me never to fear death, because if we think about it when we die we cant think of death, there is NOTHING going through our minds not even silence. this may sound scary at first but there are zero troubles when you are dead. it is actually the only time you can achieve total peace. and yes, death comes to us all but we should hope it's not for a long time yet. don't spend your life thinking of death kiddo! ;)