PDA

View Full Version : What qualities do you think a staff member should have?

Forever
May 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
You don't need to give examples of current/past staff members, but if you feel the need to, then do so.

I believe staff members should not be lazy, read their vms and reply to their pms. They are clearly the essential factors. Too bad some of our staff can't seem to grasp those things though.

ANARCHit3cht
May 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
They need to be active, obviously. I don't mean come on every day, but a few times a week wouldn't be too bad. They should also read their VMs and PMs, and replay to the former. They should also handle things in a mature manner. Also, when approaching disputes, they need to approach them as unbiased as possible.

Signomi
May 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I believe staff members ought to be considerate and diplomatic with all members. They hold a responsibility over their shoulder and were brought up in the first place for their ability as a contributor, therefore certain aspects of professionalism should be taken and perfected as best as possible.

I also believe that certain staff members nowadays are a tad abrasive and prone to having childish bouts over very important decisions, I'm sure they know who they are.

They're the ones that let their inner feelings and prejudice grudges loose on the people who did absolutely nothing to purposely provoke them. And that is the type of behaviour that is not needed on a forum as big as this. It's fine for them to let off steam in their privacy, but to take their bad blood, personal assumptions and satirical commentary out on somebody in public is bad form, and certainly makes no good impression on you as a professional. Yes, such people exist on the staff team, unfortunately. Those are the ones that still have a lot to learn.

Maturity is the essence of these factors, you need to know how to handle a situation in a calm and relaxed manner, remember that each individual has their rights and values, ponder over obstacles with a sound mind, and finally...react with a resolution to the problem in a well-spoken manner. That is what makes a potential staff member.

loliwin
May 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM
1. Activity
2. Awesomeness
3. Considerate
4. Non-biased (unless its a joke XD)
5. Can handle arguments with ease

There, thats what I think a staff member should have, it'll take me a long way to be one. :(

Jolene
May 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
They need to be able to read the date.

Captain Hobo.
May 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Active, nice, well liked, inforced the rules. Is what I would like in a staff member.

Timbjerr
May 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM
They have to be active, helpful, well-liked, and most importantly of all, be able to keep a cool head. XD

Back in the day, too many staffers completely missed that last one, including me. XD

TwilightBlade
May 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I believe staff members should not be lazy, read their vms and reply to their pms. They are clearly the essential factors. Too bad some of our staff can't seem to grasp those things though.

loloololoolololololol

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4782/notifsmay.png

However, you can see that my reports = o.

It is not laziness; it is prioritizing. I can talk about Pokemons, food, partying, and such on another day.

I always appreciate a moderator who participates and positively influences his or her forum, ultimately becoming a role model and epitome of maturity and intelligence the forum demands. High activity is implied, but not required. Just be in the forum in spirit and perhaps the majority will behave without you physically being there for a while, yay.

Sammi
May 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
loloololoolololololol

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4782/notifsmay.png

And I thought my VMs got bad as a staffer. o____O;;

Anyway, as someone who was on staff before, I'd say...
- Active, obviously. At least one once a day to check their forum and reports, if not more, if they can manage it. Clean up their forum as soon as they can manage. And, if they can, post for fun as well as mod work. It's no fun to see a mod that just does their mod actions. (I realize many mods like posting in the staff sections but I do appreciate the ones that post for fun in the forum(s) they mod as well. However, that's not necessity.)
- Answer important PM/VMs. If they're not replying to non-official PMs/VMs I'm not going to fault them for it. They don't have to reply to every single "hello" VM they get from a member if they don't want to, it's not their job. However, if someone asks them an important question about PC/the forum they mod, they should reply as soon as they can.
- Know how to preform mod actions.
- Follow forum rules, mod rules, and the rules of their forum.
- Be as unbiased as they can be. They won't be perfect, but as long as they try to be impartial, even when they just want to split that guy's head open, that's all I can ask for. Maturity works wonders for a mod.
- At least attempt to improve their section and keep it active. It's not as important as making sure it's clean, but if they can make changes to the place to make it better as well, that's awesome.

God my list is boring.

Melody
May 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I believe staff members ought to be considerate and diplomatic with all members. They hold a responsibility over their shoulder and were brought up in the first place for their ability as a contributor, therefore certain aspects of professionalism should be taken and perfected as best as possible.

I also believe that certain staff members nowadays are a tad abrasive and prone to having childish bouts over very important decisions, I'm sure they know who they are.

They're the ones that let their inner feelings and prejudice grudges loose on the people who did absolutely nothing to purposely provoke them. And that is the type of behaviour that is not needed on a forum as big as this. It's fine for them to let off steam in their privacy, but to take their bad blood, personal assumptions and satirical commentary out on somebody in public is bad form, and certainly makes no good impression on you as a professional. Yes, such people exist on the staff team, unfortunately. Those are the ones that still have a lot to learn.

Maturity is the essence of these factors, you need to know how to handle a situation in a calm and relaxed manner, remember that each individual has their rights and values, ponder over obstacles with a sound mind, and finally...react with a resolution to the problem in a well-spoken manner. That is what makes a potential staff member.

Well, I'd try to say it better myself, but Siggy just put it all into words that I simply cannot top or improve upon. This is essentially exactly how I feel about what qualities a staff member should optimally have, as well as certain members of staff who are indeed allowing their feelings into the mix. x3

Toshiro.
May 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Just like others have said, they need to be active, kind/helpful, and know that they have a big responsibility and that they need to have maturity to handle situations.

Chibi-chan
May 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think staff members should be consistent and treat each member (and fellow staff members) like they would treat everyone else. No one should judge one person as 'noob' and the other differently. Basically, no one in staff should pick favorites, least favorites, and work as they should, not as they'd like.

curiousnathan
May 4th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Staff members are an important factor of this forum, and without them who knows what will happen. Although we might have staff members to assist us, most of them have the certain qualities in order to be a staff member that is successful and loved within the community.

Some of these qualities include:
- Stay Active; there is nothing worse than a staff member who is offline or inactive and have many things to catch up on. What is the point. Not being active means the job isn't done.

- Kind and Respectful; This is a key ingredient to becoming a respected staff member, if your not kind then you won't be treated nicely. I think staff should speak to other in a ordely manner, solving conflict as best as they can without starting any trouble or rudeness. Being kind to other members earns trust and happiness for all of the community.

- Proffessional; Hrm, we need staff member who have some proffessionalism, each considering that they do not let thier opinions impact a certian situation,guideline or rule. They need to be understanding and need to listen to both sidesmof the story. Not closing down threads created by someone who they dislike, even though it doesn't break any rules.

- Experience; experience, is what I think all staff members vitaly need to have, whether it be only a little or even a lot. Experience is what staff member can use to help,encourage and inform new members.....

chikorita125
May 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
a staff member should be motavated