PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Virus

ReddishDegree
May 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
This is a warning to everyone about a new computer virus that has been recently released. The virus is called Antispyware Soft. It is a malware that gives a bunch of fake virus warnings and tries to get you to buy a $50 program to fix it that doesn't even work. Antispyware Soft also doesn't allow any .exe files to run. To get rid of Antispyware Soft you must follow my instructions sense it has worked for me and my friend.

1. Reset computer in safe mode by holding F8 and selecting Safe Mode with networking.

2. Open your internet browser and downloading Malwarebytes (http://cantalktech.com/?OFF_DJxF) free version.

3. After downloading and installing Malwarebytes run it and do a quick scan.

4. When the scan is over you can remove the infected objects.

5. After removing infected objects you have to reboot your computer.

6. All Done! The virus is gone!

If any help is still needed feel free to ask me.

thepsynergist
May 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I've had Malwarebytes for a while and it's helped a lot ever since my WoW account got hacked. Now I use an authenticator and AVG/Malwarebytes and "most" of my problems have been solved.

TheAppleFreak
May 4th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Oh no, a new computer virus!? This is tragic!
[/sarcasm]

Just a word to the wise; NEVER run any "antispyware" software from a questionable source. ESPECIALLY if you get a window in My Computer saying that your computer is infected with tons of viruses; Windows doesn't have a built-in virus scanner, so it shouldn't tell you that. Extra points if you see it on a Mac.

donavannj
May 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Also... Alt-F4 is your friend when an "antispyware" pop-up shows up, Windows users. And try other browsers like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. (b'-')b

ReddishDegree
May 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM
@Donavannj

I always use firefox its great!

@TheAppleFreak

Btw it isn't one of those virus warnings that show up in a internet window. Its a program that disguises its self as a antivirus software like McAfee but it gives you warnings about fake viruses that aren't even on your computer and saying that to get rid of them buy our low price $50 program. And the virus comes up in a pop up so you cant stop it unless you close it quick enough if you dont than it got enough time to install its self to your computer.

donavannj
May 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Btw it isn't one of those virus warnings that show up in a internet window. Its a program that disguises its self as a antivirus software like McAfee but it gives you warnings about fake viruses that aren't even on your computer and saying that to get rid of them buy our low price $50 program. And the virus comes up in a pop up so you cant stop it unless you close it quick enough if you dont than it got enough time to install its self to your computer.

Thing is, they still show up in a brower window... they just run scripts to make it appear like they don't. And, like I said above, Alt-F4 is your friend when you need to get rid of a window fast. (b'-')b

Petie
May 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM
For reference, this one is not browser based. The concept of these rouge antivirus applications has been around for a while now but this one is a little more severe than most. ALT-F4 will not help you, nor with the task manager or msconfig. It actively closes all windows you open that are not IE and only allows you to go to the program maker's website if you do open IE. The initial warning may have popped up in a browser as the rest of them do but once you're infected, you have an actual process running on your machine.

The advice to fix it is good with one notable exception. Run a full scan in Malwarebytes. Quick scan will sometimes take care of everything but I've had it leave enough behind for the program to rebuild itself in the past. One full scan should be all you need.

Stiwo's rule
May 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
omg, when they stop to release viruses?
I had to format mi old pc twice, because a spyware blocked my system, and deleted mi operative system... for two times!... now, I have Avira, Spyware doctor and Malwarebytes, and it goes very well xD

donavannj
May 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
For reference, this one is not browser based. The concept of these rouge antivirus applications has been around for a while now but this one is a little more severe than most. ALT-F4 will not help you, nor with the task manager or msconfig. It actively closes all windows you open that are not IE and only allows you to go to the program maker's website if you do open IE. The initial warning may have popped up in a browser as the rest of them do but once you're infected, you have an actual process running on your machine.

The advice to fix it is good with one notable exception. Run a full scan in Malwarebytes. Quick scan will sometimes take care of everything but I've had it leave enough behind for the program to rebuild itself in the past. One full scan should be all you need.

It should be noted that Malwarebytes doesn't catch everything, even on full scans.

Petie
May 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM
It should be noted that Malwarebytes doesn't catch everything, even on full scans.
Oh, I'm well aware. However, it does have an outstanding track record in terms of dealing with these rogue anti-virus programs so it's still my first recommendation when one pops up.

Magik?!
May 5th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Oh no, a new computer virus!? This is tragic!
[/sarcasm]

Just a word to the wise; NEVER run any "antispyware" software from a questionable source. ESPECIALLY if you get a window in My Computer saying that your computer is infected with tons of viruses; Windows doesn't have a built-in virus scanner, so it shouldn't tell you that. Extra points if you see it on a Mac.

Extra extra points if it's a pop-up that appears on an iPhone.

Anyways... uhh, I always solve those problems by going into the Programs part of My Computer and deleting their source files. Then again, that's cause I can't download antivirus thanks to not having admin rights. But yeah, it works too.

mew²
May 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Is it that pop up where is says like,
File Infected - Severe
File Infected - Moderate
ect.

I've had this pop-up for about a year and a half. It's nothing to serious. Avast! never detects anything and I haven't been hacked. So just pointing this info out.

Destiny
May 5th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I had this and, to be honest, it does nothing but scare you.

Yusshin
May 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM
AVG + Malwarebytes + Super Anti-Spyware = safe computer.

Really, viruses are only a big deal if they're recording your private info', like credit card numbers, passwords, etc. A few file corruptions or w/e isn't a big deal, unless they're targetting System32.

Reminds me of my dad. "NUUU A VIRUSSS!!111!!1" Just run a scan and tah-dah. Fixed.

mew²
May 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
AVG + Malwarebytes + Super Anti-Spyware = safe computer.

Really, viruses are only a big deal if they're recording your private info', like credit card numbers, passwords, etc. A few file corruptions or w/e isn't a big deal, unless they're targetting System32.

Reminds me of my dad. "NUUU A VIRUSSS!!111!!1" Just run a scan and tah-dah. Fixed.

Just like to say, I found out what it's like when all your System32 files are infected.
It pretty much slows everything down, videos, flash media, loading of programs.
It's not pretty.

A bit off topic, but just to let people know.

Zet
May 7th, 2010, 05:56 AM
NOD32 + Malwarebytes + a good firewall Critical Thinking = the key to success!. = safe computing

fix'd the first bit for ya :P

Though it's always good to use a firefox addon like web of trust or link extended.... link extended being for more reviews from other sources than just web of trust.

Team Fail
May 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Honestly, I ignore ads on the web that have flashy colors that tell me there's a virus on my computer. I know they're fake, because Windows doesn't have a auto-scan, and they aren't authentic-looking. (Ex. I use Vista, and the ads have the XP theme) I really want Norton 360, but pirating it is a VERY BAD IDEA. I use CCleaner, Spybot, and AVG Free.

Silver
May 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I really want Norton 360, but pirating it is a VERY BAD IDEA. I use CCleaner, Spybot, and AVG Free.
Don't do it. Norton is way overpriced for the level of service they provide. You're better off with AVG Free and such.

Archer
May 8th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Don't do it. Norton is way overpriced for the level of service they provide. You're better off with AVG Free and such.
Norton 360 is also a horrible, horrible product. Norton IS 2010 is usable and a lot cheaper, although I prefer Kaspersky and Eset Nod32.

Avira, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are the best free AVs, AVG doesn't quite cut it.

I'd also be inclined to run Combofix, if something gets that ingrained into the system. Malwarebytes is probably the best Anti-Malware program out, although Spybot does seem to find stuff MWB doesn't, although that's usually ad-ware like toolbars, etc.

I'm feeling too lazy, but someone probably tag this thread, so it's more likely to pop up in a search at a later date if someone needs it.

Virtual Chatot
May 8th, 2010, 04:46 AM
*COUGH*GET LINUX*COUGH*

On my Windows netbook, I prefer Avast to get it free of viruses. In the event that I would get hit with a virus I could just reinstall the OS anyways, because I do all my important stuff (Photoshopping, Flash, Dreamweaver) on my Mac anyways.

TheAppleFreak
May 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM
*COUGH*GET LINUX*COUGH*

On my Windows netbook, I prefer Avast to get it free of viruses. In the event that I would get hit with a virus I could just reinstall the OS anyways, because I do all my important stuff (Photoshopping, Flash, Dreamweaver) on my Mac anyways.
^ Je t'aime

Even the free stuff like Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast Free are more helpful than Norton. Either that, or use a different OS. Haven't tried Ubuntu 10.4 yet, but it should be more user-friendly that 9.10.

Zet
May 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
^ Je t'aime

Even the free stuff like Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast Free are more helpful than Norton. Either that, or use a different OS. Haven't tried Ubuntu 10.4 yet, but it should be more user-friendly that 9.10.

Ubuntu 10.4 LTS is alright though it sorta uses the mac interface for the close, send to tray and minimize/enlarge buttons. But other than that it's all right if you know what you're doing, but I digress since the mac OS is more vulnerable than Windows.(I'm not trolling since it has been proven).

I'm not really a fan of MSE since it doesn't have automatic updates(or it does, I just haven't seen an option for it) and I'm not sure if it has web protection and real time scanning.

twocows
May 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
It's just another strain of MS Antivirus, which has been around for ages. This isn't anything new.

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm not really a fan of MSE since it doesn't have automatic updates(or it does, I just haven't seen an option for it) and I'm not sure if it has web protection and real time scanning.

It updates through Windows Update.

HaloSonic
May 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM
thanks for the heads-up on that.

TheAppleFreak
May 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM
It updates through Windows Update.

I'm using it in W7 on my netbook until I stop being lazy and download AVG or something; it blocked a hit-and-run attack in real time.

Although OS X might be less secure, I find it's more polished and refined than Windows. Besides, the amount of Windows viruses compared to Mac viruses is very, very large, so chances are, a website will try to attack with Windows specific code and not affect me. Even if it manages to infect me with an OS X virus, I have iAntivirus.

EDIT: MY PAGE

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Norton's a virus in itself.

Personally, I use Mozilla Firefox with Script Lock (to block malicious, unwanted sites from running in the background), AdBlock Plus (to remove ads), AVG, Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware... I don't have a Firewall XD I use Window's Firewall for now. My dad uses, uh, Bit Defender, but I don't like it :| McAfee and F-Secure suck too. I used to use Zone Alarm, but it crashes my computer when I do full-screen stuff, so.

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm using it in W7 on my netbook until I stop being lazy and download AVG or something; it blocked a hit-and-run attack in real time.

Oh, yeah... it's real-time alright. Not complete protection, but does what most of us on this site need it to.

twocows
May 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Although OS X might be less secure, I find it's more polished and refined than Windows. Besides, the amount of Windows viruses compared to Mac viruses is very, very large, so chances are, a website will try to attack with Windows specific code and not affect me. Even if it manages to infect me with an OS X virus, I have iAntivirus.

EDIT: MY PAGE

MSE's detection rate is higher than AVG's and it is lighter on resources. In fact, it's lighter on resources than most anti-virus software.

donavannj
May 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
MSE's detection rate is higher than AVG's and it is lighter on resources. In fact, it's lighter on resources than most anti-virus software.
What may also be worth noting is that it's corporate AV, Forefront, is almost as lightweight as MSE, and has much higher detection and removal rates than most of its competitors. I think this may be Microsoft's best strength, even more so than its Office products.

AikuSeverin
May 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
meh, virus's they aint that big a threat if you have a reasonalble anti-virus, i mean system restores in safe mode are always useful, providing it doesnt imbred itself in your regestry (in which case you have the joy of either removing it key by key or reinstalling windows!)

i personally switched my pc into a virtual enviroment, everything except a few things are run through MS Virtual PC, so if i get a virus attack, i just use an undo disk, my host OS rarely touches the net anymore

Silver
May 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Avira, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are the best free AVs, AVG doesn't quite cut it.

Yeah, for some reason I thought AVG and Avast were the same thing. Though to be honest, I run OSX and don't have antivirus software on my windows partition.

Zet
May 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I hope you have an antivirus for your less secure OSX

linkinpark187
May 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I personally use a combo of Microsoft Security Essentials & avast!, along with SpyBot S&D & SpywareBlaster. I don't really feel that there's a need for extra firewall software as most modems (DSL/Cable) and routers will have a built in firewall, along with the Windows Firewall. Surprisingly, MSE and avast! don't seem to fight for resources. It's odd....but not bad. :D

As for the virus you mentioned, I've known about that one for about a month now. As long as you don't install anything or give them any information, and run your scans on a regular basis, you should be fine. Remember, boys and girls, don't run anything on your computer that you didn't install!

Mario The World Champion
May 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I had something like that happen to me a couple of years ago. A malware virus infected my computer as an anti-virus thing, but as soon as I got that, I got offline and never clicked on that.

Nowadays, I don't use anything that I don't trust at all. So, this new virus won't get anywhere near me. Just be careful when doing stuff online and you'll be fine.

诶伊艾诶豆诶维伊
May 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
so, uh?
this.. is the one I got and almost crashed my computer with...

...DAMMAGE.
>>
I coulda avoided it.

KAZillonaire
May 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
There's a good way to get rid of viruses like that in five days. You just need to open Task Manager, (ALT + CTRL + DEL) and then go to Processes, and then delete vma.exe. Then, open up your browser, if it pops up again, delete vma.exe again, and you have acess temporarily. Just don't open any windows, like calculator and all that. I suggest opening those first. After a few days, it should go away. I may be mistaken from another malware, but it might be helpful.

Zet
May 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
There's a good way to get rid of viruses like that in five days. You just need to open Task Manager, (ALT + CTRL + DEL) and then go to Processes, and then delete vma.exe. Then, open up your browser, if it pops up again, delete vma.exe again, and you have acess temporarily. Just don't open any windows, like calculator and all that. I suggest opening those first. After a few days, it should go away. I may be mistaken from another malware, but it might be helpful.

Not every virus has vma.exe, so that's kinda pointless and what you're doing doesn't sound like it's really removing anything

RyanGT
May 23rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
I actually have this "virus" right now. I let my sister use my computer while I was at work, and I came home to a bunch of virus messages. When I try to run a exe it says I can't and asks me to run the software to stop the virus.

I would like to try your method for fixing this, but the link you posted is not working.

Zet
May 24th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Try going into safe mode and then try to run your antivirus program

RyanGT
May 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Try going into safe mode and then try to run your antivirus program

The only problem with this is that I cannot connect to internet while in safe mode.

donavannj
May 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM
The only problem with this is that I cannot connect to internet while in safe mode.

Zet just means to run the antivirus you have installed already. Put one on a flash drive and run it from there if you don't have one.

RyanGT
May 24th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Zet just means to run the antivirus you have installed already. Put one on a flash drive and run it from there if you don't have one.

Ok I'll try that, thanks.

Alright well apparently I am no longer subscribed to Norton, and I can't download malwarebytes. So I have run out of ideas to fix this.

Any suggestions?

Zet
May 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Well since you're posting on the internet right now, download malwarebytes or anything else... maybe combofix but that's really a last resort method if everything else fails and if combofix fails, then you're going to have to format the computer.

RyanGT
May 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well since you're posting on the internet right now, download malwarebytes or anything else... maybe combofix but that's really a last resort method if everything else fails and if combofix fails, then you're going to have to format the computer.

I'm not able to download either of those, the pages do not load for some reason.

I guess I should format then. Except I'm not exactly sure how...

Help please?

Cheesymitten
May 25th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I'm not able to download either of those, the pages do not load for some reason.

Help please?
Restart (should be safe if it's a pop up thing)
Immediatly get up the Task Manager and whenever one of the pop up things come up use the task manager processes tab and click on "End Process" Next run your internet thing and search for the thing that keeps popping up.

Good and maybe innacurate!
=/
Try it.
It helped me~

Heart's Soul
May 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM
It's about as dangerous as this site- Not dangerous at all (http://1227.com/)

I'm not worried, I built a virus. Thank you, Wikipedia.

twocows
May 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Help please?
Some viruses block anti-malware pages. A mirror is a site that hosts the same content as the official site for various reasons. Try downloading it from this mirror (http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) and running it.