PDA

View Full Version : Do u hate it wen ppl tlk liek dis?

curiousnathan
May 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
For those who didn't quite get the title, I am talking about mostly young kids, teens and some adults who use slang and talk - liek dis. Argh it irritates me, I prefer to use whole words. I don't dislike LOL and LMAO and ROFL but the rest are just.. annoying to me.

Do you talk - liek dis? Do you like it? Do you prefer to talk properly? Is it easier for your fingers not to type that extra letter in? Can you fully understand it when someone talks like that?

Discuss and have fun.

Bluerang1
May 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
teh. I really hate that word, and the ones above. I mean I do have typos, but this browser mostly warns me of them.

SIN1488
May 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Yes, but only if they do it on purpose for reasons other than mocking people. I "tipe leik dis" when I am imitating what someone else sounds like to me. :P

Adri-chan
May 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Argh, I hate it when people type that way. I feel my IQ dropping every second whenever I'm forced to read something like that. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

poopnoodle
May 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
it's the internet, proper grammar and syntax don't matter to me, as long as i understand what someone's trying to tell me. when people go out of their way to make their sentences ridiculous (legible or not) and it's not for comedic purposes, i may get a little annoyed.

shookie
May 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Meh, I don't really know. As long as I know what they're trying to say, it doesn't bother me.

However, if they're trying to come across as smarter or better than somebody and type like that, I usually call them out on it. "ur/your an idiot" is my personal favorite.

Patchisou Yutohru
May 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I used to feel like this about how people type:
Argh, I hate it when people type that way. I feel my IQ dropping every second whenever I'm forced to read something like that. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Now I feel it isn't that important, so I feel more like this:
it's the internet, proper grammar and syntax don't matter to me, as long as i understand what someone's trying to tell me. when people go out of their way to make their sentences ridiculous (legible or not) and it's not for comedic purposes, i may get a little annoyed.
But I do tease my friends who type like that all the time and correct them. Even in texts. They get so angry when I do that, but that's the reason why I do it. <3

Timbjerr
May 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
The most annoying thing is when a wild n00blet appears on a forum and types in shorthand everywhere he goes under the assumption that, "oh, it's the internet, everyone does it." When in actuality, pretty much any place on the internet that isn't a chatroom will scrutinize you for an apparent lack of grammar. >_>

SIN1488
May 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
The most annoying thing is when a wild n00blet appears on a forum

*Wild N00blet appeared!*

*Timbjerr: Go, Grammar Nazi!*

*Wild N00blet used "Typ leik dis"*

*It wasn't very effective....*

*Grammar Nazi used Correction!*

*The wild N00blet fainted x_x*

:D

Zeffy
May 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I hate it when people type like that. Lots of people do, here in our country. They even given a name to those who type like that. I think it was Jejemon or something. :/

Ninja Caterpie
May 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
U DER 2 INSUT DA 1337SPK!!!!!?????????????

I hate it. Absolutely hate it. It's okay for someone to use it in a text, because it's faster and saves money, sometimes. On the internet, however...I swear, it's SLOWER to type in 1337 than with proper spelling and grammar. I mean, how much faster could it possibly be to type a 3 rather than an E? The only time anyone should ever have numbers replacing letters is when they're trying to write stuff on a scientific calculator.

I Also Get Annoyed When People Have Broken Shift Buttons. It Doesn't Make You Look Pro, It Looks More Like Your Computer Has Asthma. Just. Like. Continually. Typing. Like. This. To. Prove. A. Point. A. Bit. Is. Okay. But. Any. More. Is. Stupid. missing caps is usually okay for me when talking on MSN or something, but if you're on a forum, please, take your time to write properly!

hiphiphippo
May 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
i can read it, but it's still annoying
i'll use "teh" or "liek" on purpose sometimes to be goofy, but not very often

it also annoys me when people do like "&&;" or double i's all the time or adding ; everywhere to be cute or whatever

i.e.
ii type liike diis &&;; ii'm annoyiing liike dat;;

Katie_Q
May 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I sometimes talk like that to my friends when texting, sometimes msn. But I shorten by a letter (So I wouldn't write liek, I'd write lyk). But I try not to when I'm talking on chats etc. Most just when texting because it's quicker.

Wen Im readin sumtin leik dis tho- my brain uses a real, moron voice to read it. Or a little kids voice. It can be pretty annoying seeing it all the time, and it's funny when the person doing it is trying to be taken seriously.

I HaTe wH3N p30pl3 tYpE liKE tHiS tH0Ugh- I can barely be bothered typing like that, it takes longer then typing normally, and looks stupid.

Timbjerr
May 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
*Wild N00blet appeared!*

I knew someone would play off that. gg mate. XD

Anxiety.
May 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Pfeh. It drives me mad. Especially the 'Look, I'm cute, I add five 'I's to every word and sometimes throw in a 'W', so I sound like this 'hey bwaibiiiiiii cakes.'

`Espeon
May 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
*Wild N00blet appeared!*

^Epic win. :D

I don't like when people talk "liek dis" because it's annoying to read.

Some people are surprised when they meet a 12 year old that has proper grammar for once. :3 (Me)

PokemonLeagueChamp
May 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I herd u liek mudkipz?

But yes, it's annoying. You know what's worse? 1337 speak. 1t's wh3n pp1 t41k l13k th1s 4nd th1nk th3y'r3 a11 c001 and ****.

SIN1488
May 7th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I Also Get Annoyed When People Have Broken Shift Buttons. It Doesn't Make You Look Pro, It Looks More Like Your Computer Has Asthma. Just. Like. Continually. Typing. Like. This. To. Prove. A. Point. A. Bit. Is. Okay. But. Any. More. Is. Stupid. missing caps is usually okay for me when talking on MSN or something, but if you're on a forum, please, take your time to write properly!

That is definitely annoying, but you know what's more annoying? When people..... for some reason........ type like this........ with random pauses for NO FREAKIN REASON..............................period.......dot........dotdot.......

>_<

I can just imagine if someone did all three. :O

It would be like: I leik.... 2 Typ....... Leik dis...... Bcuz I tink...... BIDOOFS R AWSM...... XCLAMATION!

jon328
May 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
i hate it but i also hate when people get mad at you for mispelling some words or not using proper grammar >.>
its the internet for pete's sake!

MiniM00se
May 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yesh I hate that! Although I sometimes use "yesh" and "liek", but I hate the rest. Especially on my email. It's really not that hard to use grammar.

SIN1488
May 7th, 2010, 09:25 PM
i hate it but i also hate when people get mad at you for mispelling some words or not using proper grammar >.>

Yeah that is annoying too. If someone can correct you and tell you exactly how you should have spelled or worded something, then it doesn't matter because your point still gets across.

Yusshin
May 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I generally hate it. There are exceptions, like kidding around, but the fact I hate it is what makes the kidding around funny.

When someone talks liek dis, the chances of friendship dies because I can't deal with it :| That kind of chatspeak rapes my eyes, even if it's a text message.

loliwin
May 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I really dont mind it at all. Sometimes people are new to the internetz! XD

but I hate 1337 talk.

donavannj
May 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I post like that to keep myself entertained when bored, honestly.

Melody
May 7th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah. I'm the same way as Yu-chan is. XD

I absolutely HATEHATEHATE chatspeak. I either try to correct the person or ignore them. If they don't respond well to the polite correction, they're immediately marked as a troll or lazy in my book...depending on the severity of the negative response.

Reginaldvonburger
May 7th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I hate when people tipe leik dis. I delete them off facebook and MSN.

But, sometimes when I wanna post statuses that only my geek mates will understand 1 7yp3 l1k3 7h15. Because normal people can't speak 1337.
Or I lktay keliay isthay.
Because normal people can't speak pig latin.

Galukxy
May 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I'm not a big fan on all that type of writing 'i iz 8tin dat!! R I g2 go soz' that does irritate me a bit because I have to read over about 5 times to understand what they said =/
I just ask for them to say it again or tell them to explain or something similar.

Drew
May 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
YES.

YES MYGOD, I hate it.

I tend to not even add people who type like that, on any website and/or game.

You know what I saw someone say once? I believe it was in a youtube comment.. "I don't understand why people type like this, it doesn't make you look intelligent, it makes you look like a loser with no life." , and then he goes back to typing lyk dis fer da rest of da cmmt. D:

I tend to totally disagree with what he said.. and it makes me sad to know that some people think that way. Typing with proper grammar definitely makes you look more intelligent, because it makes it look like you at least passed third grade English. To me, typing like some n00b in that chat-speak is what makes you look less intelligent, not the other way around. Not even by a long shot. /rant

mondays suck
May 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I don't care if someone uses this way of typing only very, very moderately and for humourous reasons, but if it's too much, it's annoying. Very annoying.

Some years ago, I would probably have answered differently, since I was a big fan of purposedly misspelling things and using leetspeak back then, but after some time, I realized that it wasn't good for anything.

Guillermo
May 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Kind of. If I don't like the person, I do generally get annoyed. Especially if they're being a jerk to other people for another persons grammar. If it's a friend, then I would happily let them type like that. Sav, especially.

Jesus oƒ Suburbia
May 8th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Don't really think it's annoying..
Unless the person doing it knows how to type properly.
Than they have an excuse.
But if not, then that's a shame isn't it?

Blue Nocturne
May 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
When I'm on MSN, I don't mind people shortening words like 'u' & 'becos'. Its when they shorten words that have no need to be, like 'tlk' or 'soz'; or if the chatspeak makes it longer or just more confusing, like 'liek' and 'teh'.

On a forum however, i get annoyed at chatspeak of any kind unless its an imitation. But when I see someone use it because they think it looks good and intelligent, I fall into belly-laugh mode.

TziporaBatBinyamin
May 8th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hate it. For one I can't understand a flipping word of it and it just looking to me like they can't spell or type. Lol.

Whether it's on the Internet it SMS message, hate it! Lol
Infact there is a facebook page, something like " I talk like this and nt liek dis, because I'm an adult and not retarded"

Danikamakaze
May 8th, 2010, 02:03 AM
"Y R U POOP BANANZ?"
but seriously I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, I get so annoyed at chat speak.
Luckily majority of my friends type out whole words :)

EDIT: I also LOATHE it when people spell "my" and "mi" IT'S NOT EVEN SHORTENING IT, WHY DO IT?

Kon~
May 8th, 2010, 05:33 AM
This is on my list of thing that annoy the heck out of me. I despise bad grammar and spelling, and I full-on hate it when punctuation goes out of the window. I'll admit to using words like 'thar' because it's fun and goofy, if the situation is appropriate, but seriously, is there any need for replacing letters with numbers? How on earth does that help you get your point across?
Starting every word with a capital letter is a peeve, too. Capital letters go at the beginning of a sentence, Not On Every Word In The Sentence.
Alternating caps is annoying. It TaKeS aGeS to do and doesn't help with communication at all.

And elongating final letters. I have before been told that I am someone's 'mateeeeeee', to which I replied, "Are you a pirate? If not, don't call me matey, and if so, spell it right."

Gragh.

EmeraldSerenade
May 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I ha8 iT wEn pPL TaLK LiEK DIs.

Seriously, it makes you sound like you sound like a complete dumbass who has horrible grammar. And its annoying to read when they type like that in paragraphs >.>

Cassino
May 8th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I'm not really bothered, but people shouldn't expect me to actually bother with reading it.
It's weird since it seems to me that one would have to go out of their way and make an explicit effort to type in such a manner, but there we go... To my knowledge it came out of how phones could in the past only send text messages of up to a certain amount of characters, usually 200, so many people condensed what they had to say. I'm not sure how that's supposed to have carried itself over to computer keyboards and the character limit of over 300,000 we have for posts, but again there we go...

Amaruuk
May 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Oh, God, do I hate it! It's chipping away at my faith in humanity's collective intelligence. D:<

I hate all forms of it. Shortening words 'cause ur 2 lzy 2 tp da hole msg (especially on something like a forum, where you aren't 'rushed', and for the record I don't text like that either, on the rare occasion I text at all), Capitalizing Every Word In A Sentence (Seriously. Why go through the extra effort to look like a moron?), CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL (No, it most certainly isn't), and what makes it all worse is when the one writing it doesn't even know enough about grammar to string it together in a way that can at least be read/deciphered. That && thing pisses me off, too. I can't not think of ditzy myspace *****s when I see it. Who the heck even came up with that and thought it was cool? :/

On the internet, where pretty much most of your impression on people is through typed text, it's not hard for me to assume you're a moron if you can't at least make an effort to make sense.

Narcissus Secret
May 8th, 2010, 07:32 AM
It is kind of annoying... but I don't mind if I can read it. Some people go out of their way to add in zeros, and ones, and stuff like that... when they do that, it pisses me off Dx

Muffin™
May 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Unless someone says "i heard u liek mudkipz" I respond liek dis.

If some n00b comes inn and says "hey thar i liek teh internetz ppl u r funnah!!1! rofl lmao zomg dis is very fun too chat because i liek mispeling tings. Also, i am a gr8 sk8er and a awsom H4X0R!!11!!!" Then that's a different story

OokamiShipper
May 8th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Actually, it's kinda...inconsiderate, in my point of view, because you're talking "liek di$," and everybody else can't really understand you, and they have to cope with it until someone tells you off, it's just unecessary.
Plus, there's nothing wrong with using proper grammar! Hey, I'm talking normally right now, and I'm absolutely fine, it doesn't take that long to write "like this."

By the way, I'm considering writing and talking the same thing when it comes to the internet. xD

TheAppleFreak
May 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Only time I EVER use chat speak is in AIM chats and the PC Shoddy server. Even then, I at least make an attempt to properly spell all of my words.

I do occasionally use "teh" intentionally, though, but only for goofy purposes.

When people do speak like that, though, I break out my n00b/Human translator and begin deciphering what they're saying. If I need to quote them, I then do a complete rewrite into proper English of what they said.

Honest
May 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Chat speak:
eh, it really aint tht bad, buhh it duz get annoying whn u cnt tell wat the othr person iz saying. i usully cud tell wat rhre saying, tho. haha, im being a bit hypocritical seeing az how i tlk lyk this all the time on aim nd mayb facebook....

Real speak:
Eh, it really isn't that bad, but it does get annoying when you can't tell what the other person is saying. I usually could tell what there saying, though. Haha, I'm being a bit hypocritical seeing as how I talk like this all the time on AIM and maybe Facebook

I dubbed them Chat and Real speak by the way

Sneeze
May 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
It really annoys me, there's no need for it, I mean how much longer does it take to type "like" instead of "lyk", it's one extra key...

I find I can't take people seriously when they talk like it, it just makes them look stupid, even when texting on my phone I use full grammar, it's just habit, and not exactly a bad one. The amount of times someone has sent something or posted something in "txt speak" and I've had to ask them to decipher it which in the end just ends up taking longer.

BerserkerKing
May 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Yes most definitely. I find slang talk very annoying.

Lucy Lu
May 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah it is a bit annoying. I don't even type like that when I text either. I will spell everything out. What gets me is that why can they spell everything out? It is a lot quicker than doing that chat-speak stuff. It is everywhere and I can understand of what they are saying, sometimes. Now if they use chat-speak and capitalize the letters and use numbers with it, I have a problem. What is wrong of using proper grammar and pronunciation? If I started typing in chat-speak...my twelve years of English education would had gone out of the window! No way...

But oh well. As long they don't do it all the time it is okay. I won't get too annoyed.

Tyrantrum
May 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
That actually pisses me off! D:<

Seriously people, lern 2 tiep rite.

Moltres111
May 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Yes. I do get annoyed by that.

I am indeed 13 years old, but I still try to write english (and norwegian) correctly to my best knowledge. I've always been good at english though - when I was 6 years old I told my sister's friends on MSN "My name is <insert my name here> and I am 6 year old." Yes, it is supposed to be "years", but I was 6, and i'm norwegian. I still think that's pretty impressive.

The Corrupt Plague
May 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I like it better when people actually type properly and use spell check. I can mind looking at occasional mistakes, but deliberately misspelling everything on purpose, in my opinion, just makes you look very uneducated and makes it difficult to read.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
May 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
It's annoying beyond belief, and I see little purpose in typing like that. Unless it's abbreviating a truly long word for something like an IM or text, there's really no excuse for it. Chat-speak isn't the type of grammar you learned in school. Stop using it.

Felly
May 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I can understand if you're using it on social networking sites & such, in chat rooms, and text messages to an extent as it's not a formal site & the only people that are really seeing it are your friends & the people online in the chat. But if you're on a forum, it's really pointless. I'm fine with it to an extreme extent. If your whole post is going to be chat speak, then it's not even worth reading. If it's not that bad and actually readable, then it's fine.

EDIT: I'm also fine with it if it's for the lulz. If it's for the lulz, then it's actually worth it since it's funny. (:

Alli
May 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Can't stand it. I recall closing a thread for the first post being typed like that. The thread has no point if you can't even read the first post. If it's just messing around though, it's fine with me. I find it hard to type like that, though. I have some friends that like to type like that just jokingly, but I still have a hard time thinking "hmm, how can I type this badly?"

Zorua
May 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
There used to be a time where I used to type like this.

However, I got told off for having improper grammar, and I thought using improper grammar was cool on the internet because...well it's the internet. I mean, I knew how to use grammar, I just thought proper grammar was sorta frowned upon. :(

It's a good thing I decided to change my ways though; god knows what could happen if I would've stayed a noob.

Nowadays, I don't mind it as much as long as it isn't excessive.

Yrie
May 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM
No duh

I even text in proper grammer. I think I must be a grandmother in a child's body </scary thought> Really, I just mind it because it's difficult for me to read, yeah, if someone types 'yew' instead of 'you', not such a big deal until it becomes over the top excessive. Not to mention that I always tend to wonder how someone can seriously think its easier to type like that. By that I don't really mean "u" instead of "you" but "liek" instead of "like" or something (unless it was a typing mistake from typing quickly).

Although, like Felly said, it can be funny if its used for humorous purposes xD

Eternal Nightmare
May 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I don't hate it but I'm not fond of it. It is the internet so people really can substitute there I's for 1's or there E's for 3's or even "tlk liek dis," granted that I can make out what they're saying and they do not talk or spell the way they type. I have a friend who texts me like that and I can understand what she's saying 45% of the time. Also, I love to correct people on grammer :3 its fun.

jon328
May 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
there are a lot of grammar police officers on here. O.O

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I remember some nurb when I was playing Ragnarok.

"J'M bcp ce jeu!!!!"

Dude. It's "J'aime beaucoup ce jeu." Take two extra seconds to look intelligent please :|

Like I said, I don't even consider befriending those kinds of people. Waste of my time.

RuRuBell
May 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Nope! I don't mind it. As long as I understand what you're saying, it's all good. There were actually a few instances where I just could not decipher AT ALL what a person was saying...
But mistaking words like there/their/they're or you're/your/ur...well, whatever. Not really worth getting angry over.

Actually, what annoys me are the people who agonize over every spelling and grammatical mistake. They practically have a hernia trying to correct someone and completely ignore what the person is saying just because they don't spell a few words properly. The person may be making a good point, but s/he's totally ignored on the basis that s/he can't type properly. Give them a chance! It just seems snobby and ignorant to me.

Actually, what annoys me even more is when someone tries to get uppity and tells someone to fix their 'grammer'. :|

Idiot!
May 9th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Makes me wonder how can someone verbally tlk liek dis.

If someone types like that on the internet, at least I know there's someone who has lower brain power than I do.

Limey-chan
May 9th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I don't mind people using 'u' for 'you' for example or shortening one or two words, so long as I can understand what they've said it's fine.

But people trying to have full conversations with me in txtspk really irritates me. If I can't make out what you've said i'll ignore you. Either speak to me legibly or don't bother speaking to me at all ^^

Andraya
May 9th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Normaly, I just ignore people who write like that. I understand if people use that to write notes in class (sometimes I do that to write things that my teacher is saying), but doing that every single time? Sometimes, I write "u" instead of "you" or use the "LOL" expression, but that's it.

I've seen paragraphs (!) of people tking liek dis & pr0ud of it. IZNT TAHT GR8T???!!!1!

Kenpari
May 9th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I almost didn't click on this thread until I just managed to see what it was really about by just finishing the reading of it before I clicked on another link...

So that would answer the question.

SalemGreen
May 9th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I loath it. Ultimately, I end up typing out my rambling paragraph faster than they type that jarbled mess because there is no way they can type like that without thinking about it. They have to intentionally spell everything wrong, which causes their subconscious mind to stop or slow down. It makes someone just LOOK young and unintelligent. I never take them seriously and I never read what they type.

Note, it's kind of like that with excessive emoticons too. I can tell someone using excessive emoticons is under the age of 21 and regardless of their age: I don't like them.

Edit: This post INCLUDES my hatred for "u" instead of "you". Any shortening like that and I generally either ignore them or from that point on imagine them as an eight year old. No one over the age of eight should not know how to spell "you". It's two keystrokes more to type it the right way instead of the wrong way. Those two keystrokes literally take less than a second.

Serene Grace
May 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Honestly, I don't hate if people type, or even talk, in colloquial or slang language. This is because, well, it's their choice to type however they want. I know some people who get the same grades as me in English, however, when it comes to Facebook they type in slang. It means that they can type properly, they just choose not to.

What's wrong with that?

That's not to say everyone can type properly. The people who type in colloquials all the time, well, I still don't hate them because it's their choice. However, they reall should think of improving it at least for important tasks.

Ayselipera
May 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I only type like that when I'm joking around. Although when I was younger and just started using aim I did it a little more then anyone should be allowed to. I find it a little annoying when I see someone type like that. It's great and all that you're a qualified gangster, but you really don't need to silently tell me through your text.

JWittz
May 9th, 2010, 10:26 AM
If I'm talking to a friend on aim/skype or whatever then sometimes I'll talk silly just because there are in-jokes between me and the person. But if it's on a public forum that anybody can read, I like to speak with proper grammar and spelling-- bad grammar and spelling just makes yourself look bad to people you don't even know.

Druid
May 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
To a certain degree, yes. But most of the time I'm perfectly fine with imperfect grammar, even if the correct way to type the word(s) is obvious. Why? Because the person got their point across.

We type to communicate a message, not to show our skills at English. Plus, the internet has created a whole new way of expressing ourselves, even if it may seem lazy and stupid to the average English scholar. Leaving out capitals and apostrophes shouldn't be a federal offense in my books, and misspelling words is fine as long as it's not on purpose and there's a reason the writer didn't check it over. In an MSN conversation, words move fast and the idea is to get your point across. u can understad me perfectly if i talk like ths.

On a forum, though, some people might be less forgiving, but I even find that a bit too strict for the internet. You don't have to write everything on the internet as if you're writing a novel, and why should you? Professional authors get payed to write well. Forum posters shouldn't be refused access because they put a dash instead of a semi-colon.

Of Cersse, I Doo Have A Problem If Ppl Tipe There Sentances Liek This All The Time. As I said before, there has to be a purpose to the grammar infractions.

i didnt proofread this post

WolfgangWhiplash
May 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Just here to say...

I hate it when people on IRC chats and forums type without capital letters.

Like this:

Randomguy: hi

It just makes me go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

But that's me being picky. As of everything else, people get more interesting when they type properly, at least for me. Of course I can befriend a guy that tyepes liek dis, but it still makes me twitch a bit. I get used to it quick.

But I don't mind stuff like "tbh", "imo", "ofc" and "btw".

Pyonkotchi
May 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I do hate chatspeak. But its mostly because Im pretty used to people typing properly. even on IM
so when I chat with some of my IRL friends on MSN or something and I see all kinds of chatspeak
it does kinda bother me. I have no problem with LOL OMG ROFL GTG BRB etc
i don't care if you forget to capitalize a letter or something

but when ppl start 2 tlk lyk dis n riitin evrything shortr then it bugs me. Even if its joking. Typing like that isn't funny anymore B|

When Every Letter In Every Word Capital. That bogs me too
But S33iNg PpL TyP LyK DiiS oN MySpAc3 oR FaCeB00k aNd MaKInG 3vErY oThEr LeTtEr CaPz is even more annoying

curiousnathan
May 10th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Some really good posts. I also understand however how you can still understand them but I just don't like how it looks. I am a major grammar Nazi. Don't get me wrong however I wont crack it at you. Haha. I also understand that people make mistakes, I admitt everyone does including me. But you can tell when it is typed intentionaly or just a common mistake.

Meh, people have the right to type in the way they want to. Good for them hey, I was always taught from my parents to use proper spelling and grammar. My mum and dad think it is rude, I support that however not as strongly. I just believe that the use of slang is rude in situations where you are talking to important people or on forums of discussion.

For example I wouldn't type a letter to my principal saying: "Heyz how r u? i am gud. hope fingz are gud ovah ur end ect."
I would have written: Hello, how are you? I am good, how about you? Have a nice day. - (My name here.)

And just to think though things would sound a lot different without proper punctuation.
Another example: 1. No Puncuation - "Can I eat grandma?" 2. With Puncutation - Can I eat, Grandma?"

So yes, keep discussing. Have fun.

Binary
May 10th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I don't hate it so much. As long as it's understandable, it's fine with me. If people type like that, then it's their problem, not mine.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
If they don't put any effort into typing properly, I sure won't put in any effort into tolerating it.
Fair deal is fair.

RuRuBell
May 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I just remembered something...

It REALLY bugs me when people Type Like This And Capitalize Every Word In Their Sentence. I'm totally cool with people who can't write properly, but those who capitalize every word in their sentence drive me crazy! I have no idea why.

Well, it's not like I jump on them when they do. I agonize over it mentally. :P

Eeohnex
May 10th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I don't mind when people talk like that as long as I can understand what they are saying, no problemo. But then they start talking like this: T@1k T0 M3 L1k3 tH15 it's just irritating.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Making yourself look intelligent is incredibly easy. You just take a quarter of a second to capitalize the first word in every sentence, the word "I" and put a period, question mark, or exclamation mark at the end.

Boom

what im not an idiot <--- Makes you forgettable, in short

is turned into

What? Im not an idiot. <--- Even though it's not great, it still looks over 9000 times better.

This is why I don't bother with people who won't bother trying to type correctly.

I'm good friends with people who quite frankly type like a drunk horse. I don't mind, however, because they try.

Cheesymitten
May 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Yus, I do.
But in fact I always spell words wrong for more "points".
But no I hate it when people add on extra letters and you can just see this whole entire row of e's and a's and etc.. It's like GAH GET A LIFE PLEASE! Don't you have something else to be doing except just holding down that key?
I also like trying to read things that don't make sense like 1337 speak wtf is this and how can you people type like that? D=

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I believe holding a sound like that is not incorrect. ._.
It's simply dialog. After all, offline, in speech, it is not odd at all for human being to say something like "aw" only holding it to make it longer. Some other common words this is done to are "or", "maybe", "no", "yes"...

Point made.

Porygon-Z
May 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yes I hate it! I hate it a lot!

I heard you LIKE Mudkip?

Pass!on
May 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I really don't care.
Honestly I find grammar nazis way more irritating than txt talk.
This is probably because I'm used to txt talk after texting and using fb so much.

Kid Coma
May 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm kind of like a closet Grammar Nazi. It pisses me off, but I don't call anyone out on it.

curiousnathan
May 12th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I'm kind of like a closet Grammar Nazi. It pisses me off, but I don't call anyone out on it.

(Watch the language there budy..)

I do consider my self as a grammar nazi but I do make mistakes like everyone here and there. And the face that how P3OPL3 TYP3 L1K3 TH1S, it takes too long for me to type like that. Plus proper grammar, spelling and punctuation looks better anyday. In my opinion.

GoingPokemonCrazy
May 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I really hate it, since I used to think it was cool. But now I think it is just so not cool.

curiousnathan
May 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Wow, havent seen you in awhile GoingPokemonCrazy.
Yes, it does get annoying.

Jammy-182
May 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
It does irritate me, especially with world like 'Teh' and 'Liek'. I mean, its the same letters just in a different order, wouldn't it be easier just to type it correctly?
I'm not exactly a grammar Nazi (I'm dyslexic after all, thank god for google chrome's spell check!) but it does get on my nerves!

Air Lock
May 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I do it for fun sometimes.
i get lazy some times, and type like that you lazyass
But for the most part, I talk properly.

WonderGirl
May 16th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I don't really mind. Though I prefer writing correctly for a change.

derozio
May 16th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I won't say that I hate it, but yeah, I do think that it's irritating to a certain extent.

Left4Dead
May 16th, 2010, 05:06 AM

This is how I feel.
Also, I try to use proper words and try to spell things correctly when I'm speaking to someone from another country but when I'm speaking to someone from Scotland I tend to use Scottish words because it's easier that way.

Kotowari
May 16th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I don't like it when people don't use or don't even try to use proper spelling and grammar.
I'd like to be able to read something without having to puzzle for a bit before being able to read what is meant.
I'm no grammar nazi, I often make spelling mistakes myself and sometimes I have to check a word twice or thee times before I'm sure of the spelling. I'm still not too sure of the spelling of "Innocence" (had to check it again). I'm not comfortable with "s/cens/ce".
But mistakes like that do not annoy me... it's the lack of grammar that annoys me the most. =0 I have the feeling that typing properly gives a hint of intelligence.

On a side note, I find giving negative reputation for writing "sense" as "sence" ridiculous. Grammar nazi or not. :<

诶伊艾诶豆诶维伊
May 16th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I don't mind, but it IS quite annoying at times.

I would prefer if you're 10 or older to type correctly.
schools are supposed to teach you that stuff..

Relith
May 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Sometimes, but not usually. I'm used to it, considering I grew up in Albany.

Sosuke Aizen
May 16th, 2010, 07:43 AM
...Yes, I do.

WonderGirl
May 16th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I find that writing correctly gives more impact. People who write slang all the time are just meh. It doesn't feel right. It seems they're bored or something.

Hantsuki
May 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Yes, it bothers me. I automatically have no respect for people who type that way (because they are not physically speaking). I wouldn't be a true English major if I didn't despise people who can't seem to be bothered to type a few extra letters to make a whole complete word instead of trying to make a new butchered version of the English language. However, I do know of English majors who type like crap too.

I even type properly during the times I rarely sign on an Instant Messenger. The only exception is texting which I only do when it's an emergency. I don't have free texting or a fancy cell phone to make texting a hobby (even if I did have both things, texting is boring to me; if you really have that much time to text, you should be doing something more productive instead).

Typos are understandable. It's human nature to make mistakes, but pure laziness is unacceptable.

Co500
May 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
LOL is ok but I hate anything else but how do you think I feel one person in my school says lol and brb ........... oh I could kill him!

Loxius
May 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I'm of the opinion that if I can read it and understand it just fine then I don't really care how people type but I've met a couple people who have just abused the English language.

S0m3thiiing lik dis b0therss mii t0 n0 3nd!!

And I actually do know people who type like that on a daily basis. I actually find it harder to type like that than the regular way so I really don't understand why people do that.

Tacogeddon
May 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I've used it ironically sometimes to poke fun at those who do, but you know what I'll never understand? DOUBLE AMPERSANDS. && has meaning in programming languages, but I don't get why people started jamming it in sentences where one ampersand will do, or even just the word AND.

curiousnathan
May 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
^ I don't even do that, since I hate it so much.

GoingPokemonCrazy
May 17th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I remember when I though I was cool and 'top stuff' when I used to type liek dis n th3n 1 daii I realized it waznt cool at all. Since then I hardly do type 'like that'.

curiousnathan
May 18th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I remember when I though I was cool and 'top stuff' when I used to type liek dis n th3n 1 daii I realized it waznt cool at all. Since then I hardly do type 'like that'.
Majority of people do or did think that it was cool. I was like that too.

Mario The World Champion
May 18th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I can't say I hate people who write like that, but it annoys the hell out of me when some people do type like that. It makes me think that the person on the other side is that dumb and can't spell correctly or is too lazy to even do that. And don't give me that "it's the Internet and I can do whatever I want" crap. I can call them something bad and I'll use that for my defense.

WonderGirl
May 18th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Sometimes people do exaggerate and that's annoying. I don't mind if you don't write with capital letters and write things like "u" or "neva" but I absolutely hate when people write "you're" when it's supposed to be "your" or write "apple's" when it's supposed to be "apples" because that basically shows that the person sucks at english completely. Even if you're writing slang or just typing lazily, you don't make that kind of spelling mistake without annoying me.

KillehKiwi
May 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM
i usd 2 typ liek dis, && i thot it waz soo kool!

Yeah, no. That was when I was younger, and now, looking back, I realize that typing like that is plain idiocy, and extremely annoying!

I only type like that when I'm in a hurry and can't spell out everything in time. And even then, it's not as extreme as above, or even close!

Lol, lmao, rofl, and ily don't bother me, and I use some forms of 'slang' like 'dun' and 'ur', but not that often. Although I do prefer 'haha' to 'lol'.

I even tell people who are texting me or messaging me to quit typing like a moron, and use proper English, or stop messaging me! We made the English language for a reason, and I like to type as I would speak. ;D

devilicious
May 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I don't really mind it as long as I understand the message and the person is saying something that isn't incoherent, but it of course depends where that language is being used. For instance, it's fine on IMs and texts, but having a good grammar in a discussion forum is seriously required.

Then again, I've mostly lost my faith in the current generation of children, so I'm not expecting them to have good sense or grammar and am prepared to deal with it.

Nicktheant
May 18th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I don't mind it, I don't talk like that because it doesn't make me look professional.

Yuukihime
May 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Sometimes I talk like that. But it's only with certain online friends. I try not to talk like that with anyone else. (Although I fail at it sometimes.)

Brittani
May 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yes i strongly dislike it when people talk like that. I always tell them to stop (unless they cant help it and they arent doing it on purpose)

zaury
May 19th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Hate that too, but I'm used on LOL... it's all I understand since I started using the net... I'm not really used in chatting... When I use my PC all I'm doing is gaming, and lol is what I got there... lol

Jacob77
May 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I hate it :[ !
The only "Slang" that I use is LOL or ROFL or LMAO ... And making a incredibly amount of dots sometimes ... But only sometimes I swear :[ !

DarcyBangBang
May 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
If your going to talk use words >.> Thats all I have to say

ChrisTom
May 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Well sometimes it's okay. But if you're trying to be serious joo dond tolk liek dis. r joo zeriusly goeeng 2 tolk liek dis at teh enterviewz? But that is completely different from 1337 5p34k. b3c4u53 1n 1337 5p34k, v3ry f3w p30p13 c4n und3r574nd y0u.

I think there is a right time and a wrong time to talk like that. For some instances it's okay. For example, Meme's and 4chan:

so i herd u liek mudkipz?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pCmUmzLfX9hctM:http://www.herosguild.net/uploads/images/profilebackground/Emerald-Mudkip1.png (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.herosguild.net/uploads/images/profilebackground/Emerald-Mudkip1.png&imgrefurl=http://www.herosguild.net/uploads/images/profilebackground/&usg=__fh_rwrOpI7buPyUR0unOUCbmB9k=&h=544&w=421&sz=82&hl=en&start=1&sig2=JyGiYL5arQQnV8j2oP-ctQ&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=pCmUmzLfX9hctM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmudkip%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1I7GGLL_en%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=xzr0S-ywEoHGlQfV1J2WDQ)

I'm sure that's a time when all of use fellow Pokecommunityers can appreciate. But don't use it in a serious and intellectual conversation.

KieronGames
May 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
always ahppens to me
i spell havent as ahevnt sometimes

Sacr3d Fire
May 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hell yeah i hate those who talk liek dat i can understand only 25% of what they say.

I HEART MEGA HITT
May 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Yes it's really annoying. It shows that you have know intention to even try to write like a regular person. I don't mind if someone has a little bit of bad grammar, as long that look like they are trying.

Some people do it either because of laziness or because they aren't even TRYING to type.

I'll admit that my grammar isn't the best either but that doesn't mean I'm capable of getting my point across. Not everyone has perfect grammar or spelling... it's just a matter of whether you are doing to be a n00b or you're actually REALLY trying to type.

Yamikarasu
May 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
If someone talks like that, I automatically loose a little bit of respect for them. It's a pretty good judge of character from what I've seen. :P

Of course, when I'm chatting I'll say things like "lol" or "jk" or "brb," since they're just plain useful.

Numbers
June 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I don't actually know anyone that "tlks liek dis" but yeah I can see how that would get annoying. I'm annoyed already haha.

NOOBLMAO
June 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I dislike it more when people use black font on a dark gray background.

Rapide
June 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yep. I just hate it sometimes.

"Writing liek dis"

annoys me because it makes me think that people don't know how to spell. I understand if people have wrong grammar sometimes. Everyone doesn't have perfect grammar. But at least they're actually trying. It gets hard for me to read and understand few times also. Though I still use LOL and ROFL too. I don't hate those because they're just simply relatively easy to use.

DXrobots
June 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
UGH yes, yes a thousand times yes. you save like what? 2 seconds of your life? Just type properly.

Romantica
June 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
It's one of my biggest peeves. I can't take anyone seriously that types like that.

RYOUKI
June 10th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, sometimes. Many of my classmates tend to spell that way it takes a while to understand them. It doesn't bother bother me though, but somtimes it gets in my nerves. though sometimes I type like that when I seriously can't be bothered, so don't flame ppl hu typ lyk dat 2 bad.

Alinthea
June 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I don't hate a person who types like this, however, if it is in a discussion, I normally ignore their views, no matter how intelligent they may be.

If is worth listening too and taking note off, then why should I have to struggle to understand what they are saying?

Throat
June 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Pokecommunity users lack too much in humility and respect toward different points of view, thinking the way they do anything is the best. Fortunately 90% are kids or youngsters still building their personality.

Does it hurt to see a message written like that or any other way?

Aggressor
June 10th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I hate lol. I actually say hahahaha if I think it's funny. Lol looks lame and pathetic. I only use dis langwiggg when I troll (Last.fm mainly)

Trainer Matt
June 10th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I just see it as lazy, even though really if it's used in text messaging it's just saving space to fit more into the message. But some people take it so far it can be very difficult to read sometimes. I don't hate those who do it, I still wish they wouldn't though.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 10th, 2010, 04:05 AM
txt spk makes me want to stab people. Especially when they use the excuse that as they are no longer in a classroom environment, it's A-OK for them to abuse the English language like this. NO. JUST...NO. It also slightly boggles my mind when they use u, b/c and h8 in a sentence alongside fully-formed words like 'environment'. So, you shorten a three-letter word to a one-letter word, then fully spell out an eleven-letter word? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN.

SPEEDIE
June 10th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I hate it, but if i can read it i can put up with it, also i hate that there is heaps of things like lol and brb (some are useful but there are too many to learn)

PkMnTrainer Yellow
June 10th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I find emoticon spam more annoying than text speak these days. Mostly people who use emoticons for things that are not faces. >_>;

*Cough*everyabbreviationhasanemoticonwithglowingtext*choke*

Also, I find internet speak / shorthand annoying. Yet, I never comment on it.

RTHookers
June 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Sometimes it's annoying when people do it intentionally. Otherwise for joke purposes it's all fun to go "lol".
Also I kinda agree with Yellow honestly I see people start using emoticons for any crap, like "?" and "!" AKA horrible tbh. One of the reasons I have smiles off. Meh I like things like =D etc more than a stupid smiley like :D etc.

@tl;dr OT:
http://www.black-woods.de/pix/fun_pix/No_not_rly_owl.jpg

KejiBebi
June 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I only talk like that on rare occasions when I want to pretend to be an imbecile. :D
Sometimes its fun to but I rarely do it and refuse to type like that on an ordinary basis.

xPsychosocial
June 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
It doesn't bug me, I remember when I used to type like that. xD I just prefer typing like this. =)

Aether
June 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Only acceptable when texting or using a phone, nothing else.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
June 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM
...Am I the only one who never, EVER thought purposely misspelling things was cool?

Worst I ever did was shorthand, which was not so much laziness as it was I was just a freakin' kid and couldn't type better if I tried. I taught myself out of that one. =3

Eldrei
June 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I dunno. l337 sp33k is just a typing style which I sometimes do while texting and people really hates it when I do l337 sp33k so..neutral!!!

colcolstyles
June 10th, 2010, 08:19 PM
...Am I the only one who never, EVER thought purposely misspelling things was cool?

Man, I came to this thread to post this opinion specifically but it seems I've been beaten to the punch. I can tolerate the shortening of "you" to "u", "are" to "r", "for" to "4", and so on but what I can't stand is when people try to satirize "lazy" people by going overboard with abbreviations and homonyms. It really frustrates me and I've never really found it all that funny. Maybe, if it's only one word and it's in good taste but when people form phrases (or, God forbid, paragraphs) with these abominations, I weep for humanity.

Blackhebrew2
June 11th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I hate girls texting language and yes,it is completely different to boys (where I live anyways "I h8 wen ppl talk abou mii bhd mi bk! X x x X x X x X X xX XX XXX XX" -example of girs text. THE weapon used by terrorists that will take over the normal speaking/texting world! We must stop this indescrible mess of speech!

PkMnTrainer Yellow
June 11th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I can tolerate the shortening of "you" to "u", "are" to "r", "for" to "4", and so on

Actually, that's what I have difficulty tolerating. I most often ignore people who type like that. If they can't be bothered to try to type correctly I can't be bothered to type at all.

Sora
June 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I can tolerate it (considering sometimes I do 'liek' or 'hueg' or something along the lines for the lulz). However, when it gets too extreme, then it's just incrediably annoying, because sometimes they do it so much that you can't understand what they're saying.

Luckily, I don't really have any friends that text like that. Either they do it slightly ('u' 'r'), or they don't do it at all.

And yes, I really only tolerate it during texting, when we have limited characters. Any other time no thanks.

colcolstyles
June 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Actually, that's what I have difficulty tolerating. I most often ignore people who type like that. If they can't be bothered to try to type correctly I can't be bothered to type at all.

Well, I don't ever talk to people that type like that but I won't go out of my way to tell them to type out their damn words either. There's nothing I can do to convince them to put more effort into their posts so why bother? And chances are that if a person can't get over the fact that typing is slower than talking, our personalities won't match enough for us to get along. For that reason, I, like you, just ignore them and move on which, in my opinion, is pretty similar to the act of tolerating.