PDA

View Full Version : [Official Thread] Call Of Duty 7: Black Ops

Swolligator
May 8th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Call Of Duty 7: Black Ops

Yes you heard right, the next game in the Call Of Duty series has been confirmed aslong with a trailer at: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops/

The set release date for it is November the 9th this year and speculation across the web says that it is set during the Vietnam War/Arms Race Era, possibly as a sequel to World At War and as well as an interlude for a possible Call Of Duty 8, sequel to Modern Warfare 2. COD 7 is being made by Treyarch, the same people who game us World At War.

This is the official thread for Black Ops, speculate away, discuss what you want to see and what you don't, anything about the upcoming game.

Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops

Akeraz
May 8th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Firstly, let me unleash my wrath upon you for naming the thread "Call Of Duty 7", when "Call of Duty 5" hasn't even been released yet.

Secondly, I have my hopes high for black ops.
I'm hoping that treyarch actually get it right this time.
After infinity ward's numerous failures in MW2, I'm hoping this one will get it right.
I've slowly been losing my faith in the series, if I'm perfectly honest.
However, provided the guns are balanced, and there's no Marathon/Lightweight/Commando setups, and the game isn't entirely killstreak based, I see no reason why the game shouldn't be good.

Alinthea
May 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Simple.
Not buying it.
Never going to buy it.

IW killed the series for me.

Also, Why COD7?
COD5 hasn't been released yet.

SereneMidnight
May 8th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Also, Why COD7?
COD5 hasn't been released yet.
CoD: World at War is usually called CoD5. So it's natural to call this one CoD7. (And Modern Warfare 2 is usually called CoD6.)

Cassino
May 8th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Well why Windows 7 for that matter? That's because 95 was 4.0, 98 was 4.1, XP was 5.1, and Vista was 6.0.
I don't understand what it is people have against people using numbers to denote the latter CoD games, but CoD7 is the seventh mainstream game in the series and therefore CoD7. Calling them CoDWaW, MW2, CoDBO and so on will get confusing sooner or later after another million CoD games are released... it'll be hell like with Tōhō game title abbreviations, when again for that series everyone could just use numbers.

But anyway, I'm not buying it. For a series that started on the PC, they've really gone a way to screw the PC versions over, and its becoming more of a series of multiplayer gimmicks than anything. Anyone remember the intro to the original CoD? Yeah...

JP
May 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Unlike other people in the thread, I'm looking forward to it. I actually already pre-ordered it lol. I'm looking forward to seeing how the pull off the story with the whole Vietnam and Cuba settings, and to see what the multiplayer will look like.

Swolligator
May 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I am definately going to buy it, it seems like a good game and the setting is interesting.
Im seriously looking forward to it, hoping that it will fix mistakes in earlier games.
the Call Of Duty series goes like this:
CoD 1-3
CoD4 = MW
CoD5 = WaW
CoD6 = MW2
ergo CoD7 = Black Ops

also there is a rumor that Activision (i think) have already began making CoD8.

Cassino
May 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Well that's a given really. As soon as one game's done and the sales figures are in any company like them will immediately start work on a sequel, only a fraction of the personnel will work on any future updates.

Arcanine
May 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Abbreviations > numbers
Play the games online and you'll see no one calls them by their numbers anymore (CoD4 was the last). Really, go into a room of people with mics and say "Hey guys, how do you like Call of Duty 6?" and see how many "What?"s you'll get.

I'll be getting the game, but sadly I don't have high hopes for it. I got burned with MW2 so I'm keeping my hopes low for this one. From CoD4 to WaW Treyarch looked bad, and I agree that CoD4 was a better game. But from WaW to MW2... Treyarch fixed things, IW doesn't (or they take a really really long time to fix), Zombies > Spec Ops, the lag and such on WaW was never as bad as it is on MW2. They listened to people and took out spawn tubes, MW2 still has them. And I know they have no control over this... but the community on WaW was so much better.
I wish the best to Treyarch, and I hope they make a great game. But like I said, I'm not getting my hopes up.

JP
May 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Modern Warfare 3 was in development (and still is? Maybe? not sure what the status is at this point.) And then this new studio, I think it's called Sledgehammer, is supposedly making a new title that's going to take the CoD franchise into the Action-Adventure genre.

Fox♠
May 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM
CoD: World at War is usually called CoD5. So it's natural to call this one CoD7. (And Modern Warfare 2 is usually called CoD6.)

Where on the box does it say "CALL OF DUTY 5: WORLD AT WAR?" Just because some fans refer to them as that number doesn't make it so.

I am definately going to buy it, it seems like a good game and the setting is interesting.
Im seriously looking forward to it, hoping that it will fix mistakes in earlier games.
the Call Of Duty series goes like this:
CoD 1-3
CoD4 = MW
CoD5 = WaW
CoD6 = MW2
ergo CoD7 = Black Ops

Are you going to count Big Red One, Roads to Victory and Final Fronts in there? Considering Big Red One has a number associated with it and considering Final fronts was a side story to WaW by your logic they would be numbered too.

Droidz
May 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM
CoD: Black Ops looks really cool. I think TreyArch did a good job on WaW, I enjoyed the campaign and the multiplayer. I've been playing WaW a lot recently, because MW2 just makes me so pissed off.

Barney.
May 9th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I think this looks really, really good.

Also, don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the release date..It was on the walls in Zombies.

Fox♠
May 9th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I was contemplating giving up on Call of Duty as a series after MW2's awful community and even worse dev support, however from what I remember of WaW, Treyarch was actually really good for fixing things, gave us (moderaly) frequent and likable DLC that didn't cost as much as what was effectively 1 good map, 1 ok map and 2 re-release maps (yes stimulus im looking at you).

Also WaW's multiplayer was a lot more balanced than mw2, so I may give this a chance.

May 9th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Where on the box does it say "CALL OF DUTY 5: WORLD AT WAR?" Just because some fans refer to them as that number doesn't make it so.
Pretty much every major gaming site refers to WaW as CoD5, MW2 as CoD6 and Black Ops as CoD7.

Are you going to count Big Red One, Roads to Victory and Final Fronts in there? Considering Big Red One has a number associated with it and considering Final fronts was a side story to WaW by your logic they would be numbered too.
Simple. Both are considered spin-offs to a main title of the franchise.

This is Call of Duty 7.

Alex_
May 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a reputable gaming site refer to MW2 as CoD6.

Fox♠
May 9th, 2010, 06:57 AM
This is Call of Duty 7.
In your opinion. WaW doesn't say 5 on the box, no where does Activision or Treyarch call it CoD5 and most reviewing sights don't refer to it as CoD5. If it was meant to be known as CoD5 then it would of said so in the title bro.

Razer302
May 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Will definatly be getting this. Treyarch gives much better support than IW does so for me their game are better. Although they have issues atleast they try to sort it out and the don't harge stupid prices for DLC that still have the same glitches as they did on xbox even though they had a month to take them out.

Game looks good and I heard that the online was made by same people that did BC2 online and that for me beat MW2 easily so this should be just as good and wth the support trey give it a much better game.

Fox♠
May 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM
From the trailer the guns I've seen are the AUG, M4, AK 47 and RPK. There's also a shotgun that looks a lot like the SPAS 12

Barney.
May 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-pop-block-call-of/65165

Full analysis of the debut trailer.

Fox♠
May 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Akimbo AUGs?!?!?!?! AHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, that's definately the SPAS-12. I'm looking forward to this more and more.

El Héroe Oscuro
May 9th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Just in: Vietnam Zombies! will be a game mode that is unlocked once you beat the game!

Can't wait for this game, hopefully it will be a better Treyarch game than Call of Duty World at War. I liked that game, but it didn't really "wow!" me.

Barney.
May 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Just in: Vietnam Zombies! will be a game mode that is unlocked once you beat the game!

Can't wait for this game, hopefully it will be a better Treyarch game than Call of Duty World at War. I liked that game, but it didn't really "wow!" me.

Is that real? because it should be.

I literally thought Treyarch were brilliant, The amount of easter eggs and little touches in Zombies was brilliant.

Pityflame
May 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Abbreviations > numbers
Play the games online and you'll see no one calls them by their numbers anymore (CoD4 was the last). Really, go into a room of people with mics and say "Hey guys, how do you like Call of Duty 6?" and see how many "What?"s you'll get.
I lol'd. I've actually done that before, It was funny

Droidz
May 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Vietnamese zombies?!?!

Freakin' Sweet, now this is making it more exciting for me!

El Héroe Oscuro
May 10th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Is that real? because it should be.

I literally thought Treyarch were brilliant, The amount of easter eggs and little touches in Zombies was brilliant.

Vietnamese zombies?!?!

Freakin' Sweet, now this is making it more exciting for me!
Haha noooo, I just made that up. But wouldn't that be FREAKIN AWESOME! xD

Droidz
May 10th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Haha noooo, I just made that up. But wouldn't that be FREAKIN AWESOME! xD
Awww elheroe :(... Nah its okay that would be awesome though if they did!

Munch Dog
May 10th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I'm only considering this because it has a Vietnam setting, and I love me some Vietnam... But yeah... other than that I'm not looking too forward to this, MW2 really burned me out and I've never really been the biggest fan of Treyarch's CoD games. I still really haven't forgiven them for the abomination that was CoD 3 and WaW was ok, but meh. I'll probably skip this unless I just hear really good things about it.

And guys, shut up about the numbering thing. I mean seriously, who cares?

JP
May 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Worldwide trailer was uploaded on the site last night,

http://www.callofduty.com/blackops

It looks too cool :D

Arcanine
May 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtRnpC7ddv8
For you lazy people like me who didn't want to waste your time putting the date and such in.
The trailer looked pretty good, but it looks like they're sticking to the Vietnam time. But still, the game looks pretty good. And YAY for the SPAS (and I love the SR71 Blackbird).

Haza
May 18th, 2010, 11:25 PM
*Dies of a heart attack*

Looks amazing... looking forward to maybe a Nazi Zombies spinoff! :D

Alex_
May 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
It looks good, but I hope they don't include all the crutches for bad players like MW2 did. I also hope they don't include vehicles.

Munch Dog
May 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM
It looks good, but I hope they don't include all the crutches for bad players like MW2 did. I also hope they don't include vehicles.

If they do MP like they did with WaW you can pretty much expect it to be a straight up copy and paste of MW2's multiplayer with different maps, guns and vehicles.

But hopefully they won't do that. At least the PC is getting dedicated servers back for this one, which I immensely respect Treyarch for doing.

Akeraz
May 19th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I hope to god that crossbows are in the MP..
That'd be pretty damn awesome.

JP
May 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM

I read that they will have vehicles for the multiplayer but it won't be in the same sense that WaW used them, so possibly killstreak rewards like the ones in MW2. I can't remember where exactly I read this though, so it might be b.s.

Fox♠
May 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Here's how Treyarch can make this game great.

Remove Commando
Edit Scavanger so it doesnt restock equipment, just ammo
Bring back some of the older perks (replace marathon+lightweight with Extreme conditioning)
less camping maps
fix the SPAS 12 consistancy issues
Remove the Nuke and Tac insertions

Barney.
May 19th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Nuke may get replaced with Napalm? perhaps?

Also, No Noob Tube..Which I doubt that it would be in there anyway.

Fox♠
May 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Nuke may get replaced with Napalm? perhaps?

Also, No Noob Tube..Which I doubt that it would be in there anyway.

Noob tube/rifle grenades will be there, theres a good chance the thumper will be as well, as 'Nam was when it was mainly in active service

Alex_
May 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
It seems like Treyarch is reaching out to the community and taking suggestions on what players would like to see, and even having their Devs respond to feedback that some of the bigger YouTube CoD players have given. I think they realize the massive fail that MW2 was and are trying to win back the respect of everyone that IW lost.

Fox♠
May 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
It seems like Treyarch is reaching out to the community and taking suggestions on what players would like to see, and even having their Devs respond to feedback that some of the bigger YouTube CoD players have given. I think they realize the massive fail that MW2 was and are trying to win back the respect of everyone that IW lost.

I found world at war boring for the most part, but i found little reason to fault treyarch over it, they fixed glitches, the mp was mostly balanced and the perks were cool.

Barney.
May 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Noob tube/rifle grenades will be there, theres a good chance the thumper will be as well, as 'Nam was when it was mainly in active service

Great, more cheap Buzzkills on the way then.

May 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
You mean I get to grief with grenades and rockets? I'm in!

Fox♠
May 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Great, more cheap Buzzkills on the way then.

I'd rather get tubed than commando pro'd or camped with the ACR anyday tbh, and since this is treyarch tubes will probs be less broken and a later unlock

Barney.
May 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I'd rather get tubed than commando pro'd or camped with the ACR anyday tbh, and since this is treyarch tubes will probs be less broken and a later unlock

I suppose you're right. I mean, without Danger Close, Noob tube is much less effective IMO. But I don't think they should get rid of Danger Close, seeing as it's sort of a standard perk, if you will.

Arcanine
May 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I use Danger Close and I think they should get rid of it. I mean tubes are for there for 2 reasons...
1: To get rid of campers.
2: To use on tubers.
If you get right down to it, if everyone used tubes the right way... then it's use is to be used on campers, nothing more, nothing less. But people don't play right do they? They spawn tube, they pocket tube, they camp tube, and so on. So having Danger Close is pointless, it just helps them pocket tubers (I will take my first tube not killing, over getting killed by someone camping with a tube and Danger Close). If you got a kill on CoD4 with a tube (and I'm not talking about camp tubing, or spawn tubing) then it took a little skill.

Dragonika
May 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
THIS SITE IS FOR POKEMON JOIN A COD FORUM IF YOUR GUNNA PUT CRAP ABOUT CALL OF DUTY ON HERE !!!

Arcanine
May 20th, 2010, 11:15 AM
THIS SITE IS FOR POKEMON JOIN A COD FORUM IF YOUR GUNNA PUT CRAP ABOUT CALL OF DUTY ON HERE !!!
I'm going to give you a little piece of advice... How about you read the forums before posting your crap? You're posting in "Other Games" and here is the Other Games forum description
"For non-Pokémon games discussion, talk about other games from any console, new or old."
Do you know what that means? That means this forum is for non-Pokemon stuff, meaning we can talk about Call of Duty in here. So next time you make posts in bold, and all caps maybe you should know what you're talking about before making a fool of yourself.

Barney.
May 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Oh god that was..Hilarious.

Anyway, although I see your point, Danger Close just seems to be too standard of a perk to take out, I mean it's explosive damage. I mean maybe they should make it only affect certain explosives?

Alex_
May 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
THIS SITE IS FOR POKEMON JOIN A COD FORUM IF YOUR GUNNA PUT CRAP ABOUT CALL OF DUTY ON HERE !!!I AGREE WITH THIS. ALL OF THIS CALL OF DUTY TALK ON THIS POKEMON FORUM IS TRULY DISGUSTING.

El Héroe Oscuro
May 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Alright Barney and Droidz, your going to laugh at this, but I was actually right. Treyarch is putting a Zombies thing in Call of Duty Black Ops:
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/call-of-duty-treyarch-project/1090369p1.html
My friend gave me the link, I still can't believe this haha.

Arcanine
May 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
If zombies was a stand alone game (with a few more maps) then I'd buy it at the full $60 price. I loved it, loved the teamwork, loved the co-op, and so on. Most of the time it was just us trying to hold down one spot, but it was so much fun. So if it's making a return in Black Ops then I'm glad, I just hope they put out more maps (I don't care if it's just a single zombie map for 400 points, put a new one out every 2 or 3 months).

Razer302
May 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Zombies was my favourite part of this game, ME, Fox and to of his friends had hours of fun playing it. Hope they add it in again.

Akeraz
May 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Well, they said they're listening to the fans.
So I don't see any reason why it's not going to be in.
This is shaping up to be the best CoD game since CoD4, Imo.

Barney.
May 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
If they have any sense, they will add it.

It was the main selling point for CoD:WaW in the end, and it certainly helped shift copies way after it's "lifespan".

Arcanine
May 23rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
If they put out a Zombie map right now for WaW everyone would flock back to that game. They might not play the multiplayer (if they do then it won't be for too long), but people will spend countless hours on it. I know I'd be downloading it. And I really really wished they put out more maps after MW2 came out. I know it would have hurt MW2 a little, but still, Zombies was sooo fun.

Droidz
May 23rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
I can always get a zombie game whenever i go back to WaW, but its hard to get a good game in the MP. Which sucks because I've always liked it.

JP
August 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM
So I know this is a major bump, but I figured I didn't need to make a brand new topic for this.

http://blackops.digitalwarfare247.com/news/first-black-ops-multiplayer-footage

First Multiplayer reveal of Black Ops and it looks fantastic! I'm so glad they kept the point system (as far as I can tell) that MW2 uses, something I enjoyed greatly. The reveal surely got me excited.

Alex_
August 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Looks to me like they're doing the same thing IW did by adding a bunch of unnecessary stuff. Video cameras and RC cars have no place in a military shooter and are bound to be abused. I just pray that they don't bring back Tac Inserts. I'd hate to have to go after boosters with them having a camera watching for anyone that comes near them. Also, if you look to the right side of the screen at :35 you'll see a guy do some weird lunge. That just isn't needed. I can already see myself hitting someone with a million bullets only to have them dive to the side, get up and kill me.

The sniping did look better, and the weapons looked like they had a bit more recoil, which was all good. I also liked that they're including a theater type mode like in Halo.

Like I said, I just hope they don't do like IW and add so much that it ruins things. You can see how well things like Tac Inserts, Riot Shields, overpowered secondaries, etc. went over on MW2 and they'll likely go the same way if they're included in this one. I'm just not going to get my hopes up on this one like I did with MW2.

Fenrir Reki
August 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM
The camera, R/C Car killstreak and Ballistic Knife all seem unnecessary. I can see people abusing the ballistic knife and the R/C Car and boosters with a camera set up. But the gameplay besides that looks great and Black Ops seems to be turning into a great game. Something still tells me that it might go downhill though and almost might end up as bad as MW2. (or even worse which I really doubt)

Arcanine
August 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM
As much as I'd like the thread to go on, it went past the 30 day mark so I went ahead and made a new thread.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=228646

*Closed*