PDA

View Full Version : The Sims 2 W7 64-bit

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
So I have all of the Sims 2 expansion packs, and I installed them all perfectly - no issues at all. When I launch the game, though, it gets past the Sims 2 opening video, but freezes on the Mansion & Garden Stuff title screen. It won't even load and CTRL+AT+DEL shows that the game has become completely unresponsive.

I've tried looking for answers on Google to no avail. Nothing seems to work.

Here's my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 (2GHZ; 1080MB FSB; 3MB cache)
4.00GB SDRAM
256MB Mobility Radeon HD 4550 (Almost Tier 2)
Windows 7 64-bit (x86)

The Sims 3 works perfectly on my computer, but the Sims 2 refuses to start correctly and always ends up not responding.

I installed in Windows 7; I tried to run in XP, XP SP3, Vista, and Vista SP2 compatibility mode. Didn't work. I used "Run as Administrator" every time, but it still didn't work. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the expansions and it still didn't work.

I really love the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 doesn't have enough expansions to make it interesting. Please. How do I fix this problem?

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Well, some older games just won't always run in Windows 7. It's kinda hit or miss because Direct X 10 is a complete rewrite when compared with Direct X 9. Anything that was made before Vista debuted uses Direct X 9.

I'd try installing Direct X 9, and see how it goes. You could also try it on a per expansion pack basis, too.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Apparently it is supposed to be compatible.

I have XP 64-bit. I'm'a try to see if I can get that working... but I fear my drivers will be hard to find XD

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
XP 64-bit is pretty painful to get stuff to run on, too, just so you know. (b'-')b It can be done... but it'd be a challenge.

You could also get the patches for each game, too... could be some code that's causing issues.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I have all of the patches, too. It's entirely up-to-date but it freezes.

):

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Well, then... Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate for your Windows 7 version? I had up to Seasons installed and it worked in Professional. It shouldn't matter, but it might be the issue. :(

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Home Premium Edition x3 So Seasons should work? Maybe I just can't have the rest of it ;-; which is pointless. I wanted apartment life .-.

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Well, try it out on a per expansion basis... I had TS2 Deluxe, OFB, Pets, and Seasons. Though I do have a processor with 3 cores enabled. Is this a brand new install, or do you have a lot of custom content?

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Brand new install. No custom content at all.

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Well, it seems to be a certain expansion pack, then. Test them out one-by-one if this is the computer you want it on. Or use an older computer that can run the game, if you have one.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Other people got it to work on W7. I wonder why my computer hates me. Someone suggested it's not recognizing my graphic card because it's integrated. I dunno.

Swift!
May 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I have the Sims 2 and all of the expansion packs installed on Windows 7. :\

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Other people got it to work on W7. I wonder why my computer hates me. Someone suggested it's not recognizing my graphic card because it's integrated. I dunno.

EDIT: That's not it. You're using a separate video card. Update all your computer's drivers from the manufacturer's website, then try it again. (b'-')b

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I have the Sims 2 and all of the expansion packs installed on Windows 7. :\

I'm so jealous q___q is it 64-bit? Mine's not working ;-;

I'll try updating. I reinstalled The Sims 3 and it opens and closes the window, too, which makes me think my video card is out-of-date o_o but that would be weird, because I just played The Sims 3 four days ago ;-;

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm so jealous q___q is it 64-bit? Mine's not working ;-;

I'll try updating. I reinstalled The Sims 3 and it opens and closes the window, too, which makes me think my video card is out-of-date o_o but that would be weird, because I just played The Sims 3 four days ago ;-;

Update your drivers. Now. If it's a store-bought machine, have them do warranty work on it if it's still under warranty and the problem persists.

Or disable your network card and turn off your antivirus. Some programs suggest turning everything else off before running them. :\

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I'm updating now o.o I last updated in November XD big update at the moment.

But it worked four days ago before I uninstalled, that's the weird thing.

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Computers need to be updated weekly, at a minimum... preferably Tuesdays, since that's when Microsoft pushes out its updates. (b'-')b

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I updated, but it still doesn't work :s it opens and minimizes/closes itself.

Am I missing something here XD It worked when I was outdated, and now it doesn't work ;-;

Serene Grace
May 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I think it's a problem with your drivers, namely your video and graphic card ones. Have you installed them? You normally get a CD with your computer with the drivers included.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 11:02 PM
They're all installed; it worked before I uninstalled all of the Sims games. The Sims 2 never worked :| The Sims 3 opens and closes itself automatically.

I just updated my graphics driver, but the Sims 3 worked before I uninstalled it earlier due to some weird incompatibility with High End Loft Stuff. Now it just opens/closes itself. The Sims 2 freezes on the logo screen (after the video).

/sad

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Drivers updates aren't normally pushed out through Windows Update... :\ You either have to find your computer's CD or go to the website of your video card's manufacturer and hunt down the video card model you have.

Also, is it just these two games, or are there other games that have issues, too? 'Cause Maxis games are fickle when it comes to a computer needing working audio and video, from personal experience.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I did that. I went to ATI and downloaded the driver there, installed, updated, etc. then restarted the computer.

And it's just The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 that are having issues XD I can play my MMORPG fine.

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM
And it's just The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 that are having issues XD I can play my MMORPG fine.

Which MMORPG? WoW (can run on a toaster-turned into a computer)? Guild Wars (has higher system demands)? Runescape(is internet based)?

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Ragnarok. I figured The Sims 3 minimizing was a graphics thing because when I get a graphics card conflict with Ragnarok, the Set-Up doesn't provide any resolutions and it does exacty what The Sims 3 is doing right now: open and close.

So Ragnarok works. The Sims 3 and The Sims 2 don't.

Serene Grace
May 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The thing is, your graphics card is way better than mine and I can run Sims 2 and 3 fine. Also, I'm using Windows Seven 64 bit (although mine is Ultimate and not Home Premium.) What make is your processor? Although that might not be the answer.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Intel Core Duo 2 P7350 (2GHZ / 1080MB FSB / 3MB cache)

I've played The Sims 2 on a desktop a bit crappier than my current laptop. All the expansions worked. That desktop is dead now, though, so :|

The Sims 3 works at full specs on this laptop; it's just acting funky now. It worked four days ago XD Although World Adventures disabled my being able to add custom content (that pissed me off; the game worked at least, though.)

donavannj
May 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I'm all out of ideas, then... I'd have to be tinkering around with the computer to help any further, since I have minimal personal experience with an issue like this. D;

Serene Grace
May 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I'm actually quite jealous of your computer, it's much better than mine. I really have no idea why this could be happening. If it persists, just call them up and ask for a new one, if your warranty is still active.

Yusshin
May 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah, there's a mandatory one-year warranty for all PCs so... that ends in October.

You know what's funny, though? My adapter's already broken and my Windows 7 CD that came with the computer once tried to tell me it can't reinstall the OS lololol I friggin' hate Dell man.

I might end up reformatting. I need to anyway; I mean, I've already reformatted this thing five times - twice because I wanted a fresh copy, and three times because of a memory issue that I really have no idea wtf was happening there. Haven't had that crash since, though.

Might end up reformatting just to see wtfux is up with it lol need to burn a lot of stuff first ):