PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite chess piece?

jynx
November 5th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Mine's rook.
In national chess, "rook"(castle) is Straight forward, but not as risky to attack as Queen.

And in Chinese chess, "rook"(車) is the most destructive piece.
------------------------------------------------------

Hey..I clicked "disable smilies" for my poll! =.=

Anyway...

pawn=卒
King=將
Queen=
Rook=車
Knight=馬
Bishop=象
Cannon=砲
Guard=士

PS: Have I left out a piece from any of the chess?

Shana
November 5th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Why, the King of course! Although, I haven't played chess in a while.

T.W North
November 5th, 2004, 04:51 PM
A cannon and a guard? In a chess game I havent heard of. Queen rules! Kings are hilarious. Me and my friends just muck around and make the peices do stupid stuff.

PikaPal
November 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
The horse one! YAY horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deathbyalice
November 5th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I love to play chess! I think the Knight is the best!

Kylie-chan
November 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM
The queen is useful, but the knight is cool. I like the way he jumps over pawns. I'm not experienced at chess, I think my greatest merit would be thrashing my brother on Chess (pay TV games), but I always get my knights out first.

He's great, he can always round corners.

The queen may be versatile, but she often gets smashed up.

DP

Monzae
November 5th, 2004, 05:13 PM
I like the Knight best...always have, always will.

Simmons_2.0
November 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I think the Queen is the best because it can move almost on the board.
but if you lose it during a match your pretty much a goner

Burne Starcofski
November 5th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I like the rook, you can use them to really mess up movements for an opponent's pieces. 2 Rooks paired with a queen and a Bishop, and I could get a Checkmate really easily. Allthough, I use Knights as no more than Shields, as I have never found much else use for them.

Timbjerr
November 6th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Knights definitely...they are my favorite piece because they are useful in disabling your opponent's queen...giving my own queen the opportunity to wreck havoc unopposed. Knights make greaat technicians at times too...

THIRTY-SIX
November 6th, 2004, 07:13 AM
bishop i love diagonals and they r always my last piece *to protect the king*

jynx
November 6th, 2004, 07:35 AM
A cannon and a guard? In a chess game I havent heard of. Queen rules! Kings are hilarious. Me and my friends just muck around and make the peices do stupid stuff.
That's Chinese chess.

PS: There are not any queens in Chinese Chess.

Ryoutarou
November 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM
National chess would be the knight, because it really helps out a lot and is more or less your power piece in most games. Chinese chess...the cannon, don't know why though,lol.

~Ozy~
November 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Rook, definately. My rook-knight combo is always a strong opener. Then, my rooks wreak havoc in the endgame.

That said, I'm not much good at chess. I'm far better at Go.

jynx
November 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM
National chess would be the knight, because it really helps out a lot and is more or less your power piece in most games. Chinese chess...the cannon, don't know why though,lol.
Destructive and tricky, maybe.

Cannon's my father's favourite too!

Mr Cat Dog
November 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
The Queen rocks! Always defending her fat lazy husband. The Simpsons Chess set displays this perfectly, with Homer being a fat King that can't move everywhere, and Marge being the Queen who can do anything and everything. The other members of the family take the other positions, but Marge is the best out of all of them. ^_^

digi-kun
November 6th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I think the Queen is the best because it can move almost on the board.
but if you lose it during a match your pretty much a goner
well lose the king and you ARE a goner XD

anyways i tend to rely on the knight a lot more than the queen...besides knight can make an opening move XD

T.W North
November 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Why hasnt anyone voted for a pawn yet? I shouldve before. They are really powerful, especially in transfer chess.

Composer of Requiems
November 6th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Mine's rook.
In national chess, "rook"(castle) is Straight forward, but not as risky to attack as Queen.

And in Chinese chess, "rook"(車) is the most destructive piece.
------------------------------------------------------

Hey..I clicked "disable smilies" for my poll! =.=

Anyway...

pawn=卒
King=將
Queen=
Rook=車
Knight=馬
Bishop=象
Cannon=砲
Guard=士

PS: Have I left out a piece from any of the chess?
Technically it's "General", not King... and "Elephant" not Bishop... the rest keep the relative meaning though...
I love the Cannon, or "Pao". Really useful, I usually use it as part of my opening move.

Lily
November 6th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Me- Queen.

Very useful...and perfect for sacrifices and martyr. ^_^ I mean, I love using it part of my strategies...always involving the Queen taken by the opposing team. So useful! XP

espeon and umbreon
November 6th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Hmm... Queen I guess. I always try to use Queen to kill the opponents' piece!

Eliana
November 7th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Queen, Knight, or Rook. I've been playing for a while ^^

jynx
November 7th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Technically it's "General", not King... and "Elephant" not Bishop... the rest keep the relative meaning though...
I love the Cannon, or "Pao". Really useful, I usually use it as part of my opening move.
Oh yeah! That's the world. But in national chess, they call it king.

No, that "象" does not stand for elephant. Although this character normally stands for elephant, in chess, it stands more like "臣"。
(if you don't know Chinese, that position is something like Bishop in the west, but unrelated to religions.)

Just like "車". Normally it means "car". But in chess, its is the "Charriot" and functions similarly to "rook" in National Chess.

Kelsey
November 7th, 2004, 07:48 AM
My favorite chess piece is the knight. Why? It looks like a horse!!!! =D

~Kelsey

jynx
November 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM
I love horses too ^^

But I sometimes find tricky using knight in National Chess...

Lizzie
November 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I like the knight, he's a very useful peice, the only one who can go over peices i think ^_^

jynx
November 7th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I like the knight, he's a very useful peice, the only one who can go over peices i think ^_^
In national chess, it is :D

Composer of Requiems
November 8th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Oh yeah! That's the world. But in national chess, they call it king.

No, that "象" does not stand for elephant. Although this character normally stands for elephant, in chess, it stands more like "臣"。
(if you don't know Chinese, that position is something like Bishop in the west, but unrelated to religions.)

Just like "車". Normally it means "car". But in chess, its is the "Charriot" and functions similarly to "rook" in National Chess.
Um, I am Chinese living in a Chinese dominant country =\
臣 is more like... official, I don't think it is related to religion actually... In fact, I think it is a totally different pronounciation (dang the number of words that look similiar ^^ I usually don't do well in spelling tests)

The horseman in Chinese Chess isn't a jumping over L shape, it's actually one step forward, then a diagonal, so you can jump over if it has an empty space two squares in front.
I hope that made sense ^^

Lizzie
November 8th, 2004, 09:11 AM
really? i never knew that, that's really cool-and confuseing, i learned it the L way XD

jynx
November 8th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Um, I am Chinese living in a Chinese dominant country =\
臣 is more like... official, I don't think it is related to religion actually... In fact, I think it is a totally different pronounciation (dang the number of words that look similiar ^^ I usually don't do well in spelling tests)Well, that thing I said was a conclusion of Hong Kong Chess Club and UK Chess Club.
And is widely published in the UK.

The horseman in Chinese Chess isn't a jumping over L shape, it's actually one step forward, then a diagonal, so you can jump over if it has an empty space two squares in front.
I hope that made sense ^^Which IS actually L shape! :D
The difference is, 馬 cannot jump over pieces, but "knight" can. :D

Composer of Requiems
November 9th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Well, that thing I said was a conclusion of Hong Kong Chess Club and UK Chess Club.
And is widely published in the UK.

Which IS actually L shape! :D
The difference is, 馬 cannot jump over pieces, but "knight" can. :D
Um, it can jump over. The diagonal is a direct diagonal, not one forward and one sideways.

The xiang... I'm quite sure it's elephant because the origin of the game was from India, where elephants were used in battle... here we treat it as an elephant. ^^

jynx
November 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Um, it can jump over. The diagonal is a direct diagonal, not one forward and one sideways.
Oh does it? My parents won't let me do so.

The xiang... I'm quite sure it's elephant because the origin of the game was from India, where elephants were used in battle... here we treat it as an elephant. ^^
India...possibly...
hey, but wait... 楚河 漢界 <---That's really really ancient Chinese. Don't think India was discovered at that time.

I think 楚河漢界 is about the time of 曹操 (correct me if I'm wrong)

*Chikorita*
November 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
My favorite is the rook, though I like the Knight alot too. ^^ I haven't played Chess for a long time. XD

Geometric-sama
November 9th, 2004, 05:33 PM
I like the knight, because it moves in a cool "L" shape. Plus the rook 'cause it's worth a nice round 5 points XD

AdamHays
November 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I like the queen,she can take you anywhere you need.

Dragonfree
November 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
The Knight. It's a horse and it's the most unique one.

Kylie-chan
November 9th, 2004, 09:47 PM

Well, the knight is the only one that can jump over far as I know... but the kids' chess club that holds tourneys doesn't let me use all the adult rules I know... -_- fair enough for the other kids, but...

Composer of Requiems
November 10th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Oh does it? My parents won't let me do so.

India...possibly...
hey, but wait... 楚河 漢界 <---That's really really ancient Chinese. Don't think India was discovered at that time.

I think 楚河漢界 is about the time of 曹操 (correct me if I'm wrong)
Aww... it's supposed to jump only at that point. Like...

The horse moves from A to B.
X is a random piece, E is an empty spot.

XB
E
A <- allowed

EB
X
A <- Not allowed

Here we see it as an elephant. That's why it can't cross the "river" in the center... do you play by that rule? And there's this rule of "pinning the elephant's legs" where the space between must be clear or it cannot move the diagonal.

Kylie-chan
November 10th, 2004, 02:00 AM
But that's turning chess into some roleplay game like my brother and I do it for fun...

*head spins*

jynx
November 11th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Aww... it's supposed to jump only at that point. Like...

XB
E
A <- allowed

EB
X
A <- Not allowed

Here we see it as an elephant. That's why it can't cross the "river" in the center... do you play by that rule? And there's this rule of "pinning the elephant's legs" where the space between must be clear or it cannot move the diagonal.
What what? What are all these X B E A?

corral
November 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM
my best assasin is my.....PAWN!!!!! the opponent never pays attention to an unsightly pawn XdDXxdDXDXDXLOL j/k *hehehehehehehe*

Composer of Requiems
November 11th, 2004, 10:02 PM
What what? What are all these X B E A?

Kylie-chan
November 12th, 2004, 12:10 AM
my best assasin is my.....PAWN!!!!! the opponent never pays attention to an unsightly pawn XdDXxdDXDXDXLOL j/k *hehehehehehehe*
And then the unsightly pawn turns into a knight, queen, rook, or bishop. And gets noticed.

Actually my ruthless brother, who has only beaten me once in all the board games we play (it was Chess) :P, loves murdering pawns, while my sneaky little rook and knight corners him and attacks him. :P Chess is a game of sacrifice (Ron Weasley's famous chess quote), and I sacrifice all my pawns.

Composer of Requiems
November 12th, 2004, 12:42 AM
And then the unsightly pawn turns into a knight, queen, rook, or bishop. And gets noticed.

Actually my ruthless brother, who has only beaten me once in all the board games we play (it was Chess) :P, loves murdering pawns, while my sneaky little rook and knight corners him and attacks him. :P Chess is a game of sacrifice (Ron Weasley's famous chess quote), and I sacrifice all my pawns.
You know, in Chinese Chess, the pawn pwnz because it can move freely once it crosses the 'river' in the center.
As compared to the General, and the guards, who are confined to the little 3x3 square in the center.

Kylie-chan
November 12th, 2004, 01:39 AM
oh well I've never played Chinese chess... I'll see if my Singaporean friend has.

the knight definitely rocks. It's my starter piece. Always.

Composer of Requiems
November 12th, 2004, 03:10 AM
oh well I've never played Chinese chess... I'll see if my Singaporean friend has.

I'm from Singapore too >.<

jynx
November 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM

You can buy Chinese Chess in London!

5pounds per set, said my maths teacher. He went bored and decided to buy one so I can teach him.

mewruler
November 12th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Feel the power of the queen !!

ryan
November 12th, 2004, 03:51 PM
i use rooks somewhat effectively (i'm not too good at chess) but i've voted for the rook

jynx
November 13th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Ya, rooks can do quite a lot^^

Pokemon Master #1
November 14th, 2004, 07:55 AM
My favorite chess piece is the king.....(It's good to be king)

jynx
November 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM
My favorite chess piece is the king.....(It's good to be king)
ya, you can't have a game without the king XD