PDA

View Full Version : Cameron new British PM, Brown to quit as Labour leader

Peeky Chew
May 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Gordon Brown has said he is stepping down as Labour Party leader.
Mr Brown, prime minister since 2007, said he wanted a successor to be in place by the time of the party's conference in September.

Mr Brown announced his intention to quit in a statement in Downing St in which he also said his party was to start formal talks with the Lib Dems.

The Conservatives won the most seats and most votes in the election and have been in talks with the Lib Dems.

Mr Brown said no party had won an overall majority in the UK general election and, as Labour leader, he had to accept his part in that.

He said he had no desire to stay in his position longer than was needed to form a stable government, and that he would ask the Labour Party to set in form the process of a leadership contest.

He said it could be in the interests of the country to form a "progressive" government - possibly in coalition with the Lib Dems - the UK's third largest party.

It emerged earlier that the Lib Dem negotiating team, who have held days of talks with the Conservatives, had also met senior Labour figures in private.

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said one of the stumbling blocks to any Lib Dem-Labour deal had been Mr Brown himself.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8672859.stm

Blue Nocturne
May 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
about time, we never voted for him before, and we didnt vote for him this time, yet he's still there. He's like a barnacle really, impossible to scrape off. But if he had no desire to continue, why didnt he pull out of the election prior to the hung parliament and give his party a better chance?

The Cynic
May 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Someone really ought to give that man a hug. The economy wasn't his fault. The war wasn't his fault. people have to stop blaming him. At least now he'll be out of the media spotlight.

On another subject, the Lib Dems seem to be fratenising with the Tories like drunk flirts at a party. Its amusing to see them abandon their ideals in order to get power (then agian the Labour party did that in the 1990s when they decided to leave the working class in the gutter and pursue "Middle England").

Rokusasu
May 10th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I agree with both of the above posts. We never voted for Brown, but people do need to cut him some slack (I found the 'bigot' saga fairly amusing when the media were all over it; everyone says things behind someone else's back at some point or another, it was misfortune that his microphone was still switched on).

Went
May 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well done, he was the main problem for Labour. He should leave as soon as possible if he wants his party to have a chance at anything.

Option a) Lib-Dems pact with the Conservatives, get a new electoral system, then leave and get new elections, where Labour can do better without Brown and get enough seats for a Lib-Lab, which actually makes sense as a Government coalition.

Option b) Lib-Dems give up and hurry Brown up so they can talk to someone else, get the Lib-Lab coalition and do as in option a).

Option c involves not getting a stable coalition but it could end up any way so it's really hard to predict the outcome XD

Fox♠
May 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM
If only his dirty party would leave with him.

chikorita125
May 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM
i don't now who brown is, should i care if he steps down or not

Peeky Chew
May 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Well I guess I'll post my views on the thread, since I made it xD

I don't think Gordon was really a bad priminister, it was the party behind him which was. Their education (heck, I know how bad they are, my mum's a english tutor and it's shocking the things the kids don't know), Policing and immigration policies were all terrible, but we never seemed to realise due to Tony Blairs brilliant sales man esque strategy. Then when Tony left, suddenly we had a terrible public speaker, who couldn't make excuses for any of this. Then the economy failing sort of sealed it in the ignorant publics view, Gordon "had" to go. But he did actually have to go in the end, with all of this hung parliment stuff it would have been terrible if he had stayed as long as possible.

Zeph.
May 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
As long as the next Labour leader isn't Alistair Darling then I'm cool with this.

Sneeze
May 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I honestly didn't see this coming, I'm surprised. Not that I'm going to miss him...

Fox♠
May 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Well I guess I'll post my views on the thread, since I made it xD

I don't think Gordon was really a bad priminister, it was the party behind him which was. Their education (heck, I know how bad they are, my mum's a english tutor and it's shocking the things the kids don't know), Policing and immigration policies were all terrible, but we never seemed to realise due to Tony Blairs brilliant sales man esque strategy. Then when Tony left, suddenly we had a terrible public speaker, who couldn't make excuses for any of this. Then the economy failing sort of sealed it in the ignorant publics view, Gordon "had" to go. But he did actually have to go in the end, with all of this hung parliment stuff it would have been terrible if he had stayed as long as possible.

You;re forgetting that they systematically demolished our naval force, depleated the RAF and left the army under equipped to fight 2 wars.

pokemaster12378
May 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
you people do not like him i can tell a lot

slls81
May 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I honestly didn't see this coming, I'm surprised. Not that I'm going to miss him...

This has been kind of obvious ever since the Lib Dems ruled out any coalition with Labour if Brown remained as PM. The thing is now that Brown is no longer leader of the Labour party it's probably in their best interest to re-run the election, as in last weeks election many people were simply voting against Gordon Brown. So while Brown's resignation was made in a attempt to allow a coalition government with the Lib Dems, if Labour have any sense it could actually lead to another election in the coming months.

Suki
May 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Poor man, I personally feel sorry for him!

Galukxy
May 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I think it's great he's leaving, he's the main problem, But to be honest I never really liked the man he was so smug of him self.
Now, for him to step down as prime minister and mission completed hehe. :D

Rich Boy Rob
May 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Apparently the Lib-Dems are finalising their talks with the Conservatives and have come to no conclusions with Labour. Looks like we'll be have a Lib-Con government with David Cameron as PM.

Porygon-Z
May 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM
If I had known what an untterly devious b**t**d Nick Clegg was I wouldn't have voted Lib Dem.

Kon~
May 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
As we speak, Lib Dems have formed a coalition with the Tories and Gordon Brown has quit as PM.

Yup. He's done it. And Cameron is on his way to see the Queen to take over.

You and me both, Sneeze. You and me both.

Went
May 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
If I had known what an untterly devious b**t**d Nick Clegg was I wouldn't have voted Lib Dem.

What did you want him to do? Reject a coalition deal with the Conservatives and waste his chance to change the electoral system? Go for Lib-Lab and realize they would still need 11 more votes, meaning that they'd need to pact with pretty much all the other parties in the Parliament?

The problem was, half of his voters voted him to prevent Cameron from becoming PM, the other half voted him to prevent Brown from staying as PM. He couldn't win. He had to be a politician and choose the lesser of two evils.

After all (I still have to get proper info), chances are there will be new elections in a year or so.

.Wolfie-kun.
May 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Conservatives back in power... Proof that we're that much closer to 2012... XD

Fox♠
May 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Gotta give it to him, his final speech was pretty good.

ArcanineOod
May 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM
It was quite funny; I got home from food shopping and my mother put the news on, and I saw Brown's car on the way to the Queen for his resignation. Fortuitous timing, since I then witnessed the whole shabang.

Poor old Brown looked very tired.
So, we have a new PM and a new Government. I hope they manage to sort England out.
: ]

xX

Netto Azure
May 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Someone should change the title to :

David Cameron is UK's new prime minister
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8675265.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47827000/jpg/_47827360_jex_690127_de27-1.jpg

David Cameron confirmed as new prime minister by the Queen

Conservative leader David Cameron is the new UK prime minister after the resignation of Gordon Brown.

Mr Cameron, 43, entered 10 Downing Street after travelling to Buckingham Palace to formally accept the Queen's request to form the next government.
He said he aimed to form a "proper and full coalition" with the Lib Dems to provide "strong, stable government".
His party won the most seats in the UK general election last week, but not an overall majority.
In a speech outside his new Downing Street home, Mr Cameron said he and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg would "put aside party differences and work hard for the common good and the national interest".
He paid tribute to outgoing PM Gordon Brown for his long years of public service and said he would tackle Britain's "pressing problems" - the deficit, social problems and to "rebuild trust in our political system".
Mr Cameron stressed there would be "difficult decisions" but said he wanted to take people through them to reach "better times ahead".
He said he aimed to "help build a more responsible society here in Britain... Those who can should and those who can't, we will always help. I want to make sure that my government always looks after the elderly, the frail, the poorest in our country.
"We must take everyone through with us on some of the difficult decisions we have ahead."
"I came into politics because I love this country, I think it's best days still lie ahead and I believe deeply in public service.
"I think the service our country needs right now is to face up to our big challenges, to confront our problems, take difficult decisions, lead people through those decisions, so that together we can reach better times ahead."
We'll see how long this Tory-Lib Dem coalition lasts until the next election. It's just that the Tories aren't going for Proportional Representation. But alas even with a Labour-Lib Dem Coalition there was not enough votes. :/

I'm fine with this. Good Luck to the Conservatives, you guys have a lot of work getting the Economy back up again~

Went
May 11th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Clegg is going to be Deputy Prime Minister. I wonder how that will work out, since there hadn't been any since 1945 XD

The Cynic
May 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Clegg is going to be Deputy Prime Minister. I wonder how that will work out, since there hadn't been any since 1945 XD

Yes, the cabinet announcements being drip-fed to the media include Osborne as chancellor, Hague as foreign secretary and Clegg as Deputy PM. That means, respectively: cuts; “liberal interventionism”; and tea with two sugars.

Netto Azure
May 12th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Well, there at least is a respectable line of succession? XP

Anyways how long will it be until this coalition collapses? There will be a ton of cuts to manage that deficit in this administration.

Blue Nocturne
May 12th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I just don't understand why they had to cut into Eastenders to see Gordon Brown slowly drive over to Buckingham Palace. He resigned, Cameron is the new PM, Clegg is his deputy. Thats all we needed to know.

Talli
May 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Who wants to join me livingn on the moon. Far away from tory britian as possible.

Netto Azure
May 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I just don't understand why they had to cut into Eastenders to see Gordon Brown slowly drive over to Buckingham Palace. He resigned, Cameron is the new PM, Clegg is his deputy. Thats all we needed to know.

Jeez, cut the man some slack, he did his best during the crisis 2 years ago.

Went
May 12th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Well, there at least is a respectable line of succession? XP

Anyways how long will it be until this coalition collapses? There will be a ton of cuts to manage that deficit in this administration.

The day after the new electoral system is approved. Or five minutes after the new law is passed, for that matter. Unless it's just in the middle of a life-or-death emergency, then it will be as soon as the emergency calms down. My bet.

Zeph.
May 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Who wants to join me livingn on the moon. Far away from tory britian as possible.

I will.

What really annoys me is that my country (Scotland) has ONE Tory seat - and we still need to listen to them.

The Cynic
May 12th, 2010, 07:26 AM

I do! Only problem is Baron Ashcroft will just buy NASA and colonise the Moon, calling his extravagant moon-city "Death Star II - New Berkshire".

In all seriousness though, if you don't live in Scotland (which I no longer do) it's going to become very expensive to be a student. Or a single parent for that matter. Or a worker in the public sector. Or really anyone who dosn't have chums at Eton.

Zeph.
May 12th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Aaaaargh! I'm about to be a student! :(:(

(On a more positive note: my 800th post! :D)

The Cynic
May 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Aaaaargh! I'm about to be a student! :(:(

(On a more positive note: my 800th post! :D)

You live in Scotland. The SNP abolished uni-fees ages ago. The only good thing they've done.

Fox♠
May 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM

No, but please stay there :)

I don;t see why so many of you are raging over the torries, most of you weren't alive last time round, and the ones of us who were are too young to remember it. Give them a God damn chance. seriously.

MEGATOM
May 13th, 2010, 02:13 AM
A chance to do what maggie thatcher did? Which was bring the entire country to it's knee's lol
Making all these cuts isn't going to bring England out of the recession, it's just going to ruin the education of future generations like my daughter because I can't afford to send her to private school.
The tories are too old fasioned, their never going to work in a modern England.

No, but please stay there :)

I don;t see why so many of you are raging over the torries, most of you weren't alive last time round, and the ones of us who were are too young to remember it. Give them a God damn chance. seriously.

_Prince_
May 13th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Poor man, I personally feel sorry for him!

ohh do you? lol No welcoming the new PM in a kind warm loving way? lol

To be honest I don't care what happens ;p

Fox♠
May 13th, 2010, 03:54 AM
A chance to do what maggie thatcher did? Which was bring the entire country to it's knee's lol
Making all these cuts isn't going to bring England out of the recession, it's just going to ruin the education of future generations like my daughter because I can't afford to send her to private school.
The tories are too old fasioned, their never going to work in a modern England.

Thatcher was a hero compared to Brown and Blair. One war under Thatcher and we won it, 2 under Blair and they're still on going and we're still losing.

Sneeze
May 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I found this last night, apparently because of the coalition they are gonna raise VAT to 20%. Seems like an excuse to me, I saw this coming the second they temporarily dropped it to 15% so I'm hardly surprised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10112936.stm

Hopefully this is just as temporary as the decrease was.

The Cynic
May 13th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I found this last night, apparently because of the coalition they are gonna raise VAT to 20%. Seems like an excuse to me, I saw this coming the second they temporarily dropped it to 15% so I'm hardly surprised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10112936.stm

Hopefully this is just as temporary as the decrease was.

The Tories said they were going to scrap all these different taxes to "let the economy grow". Now, they're bumping them up.

Just goes to show, never trust a Tory.

Also the Lib Dems were going to introduce a "mansion tax" where homeowners pay an additional annual tax of 1% on homes worth at least £2m. However, now they're all pals with the Tories that idea has been scrapped.

Just goes to show, never trust a Whig.

Fox♠
May 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM
The Tories said they were going to scrap all these different taxes to "let the economy grow". Now, they're bumping them up.

Just goes to show, never trust a Tory.

Sorry, where are our 10 Chinooks and our EU referendum?

Just goes to show, never trust Labour.

Sneeze
May 13th, 2010, 06:28 AM
It just goes to show, never trust a politician.

MEGATOM
May 13th, 2010, 06:43 AM
It's got nothing to do with wars, that's just childish.
It's the domestic problems that really matter, and cameron is just going to make more for britain.

Thatcher was a hero compared to Brown and Blair. One war under Thatcher and we won it, 2 under Blair and they're still on going and we're still losing.

Suki
May 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
ohh do you? lol No welcoming the new PM in a kind warm loving way? lol

To be honest I don't care what happens ;p

MMM

David Miliband for PM!!!!

The Cynic
May 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry, where are our 10 Chinooks and our EU referendum?

Just goes to show, never trust Labour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of Labour or any of the "mainstream" parties at all. But seeing as smaller parties have no chance of any say in our wretched voting system, I become a Labour supporter simply in an attempt to thwart a Tory government. If there was a party that truly stood up for my beliefs, a moderatley left-wing group of liberal progressivists and the voting system changed, I would be right in there.

It just goes to show, never trust a politician.

Words of wisdom. The only 2 things I dislike about life in the UK is the politics and the high fuel prices. If we are talking about Scotland in particular, you can include the weather. Labour, the Tories and the Lib Dems are all very similar. If I still lived in Scotland, the SNP would be an option but frankly, unlike my "hoots-mon" brethren, I am not in the least bit Nationalist.

Talli
May 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Who thinks that my Ninja/pirate squirrel should run britain, he'd do better that Torries/labour/liberal could ever do.

Fox♠
May 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM
[COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"]

[FONT=Calibri]Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of Labour or any of the "mainstream" parties at all. But seeing as smaller parties have no chance of any say in our wretched voting system, I become a Labour supporter simply in an attempt to thwart a Tory government. If there was a party that truly stood up for my beliefs, a moderatley left-wing group of liberal progressivists and the voting system changed, I would be right in there.

Amen to that fella, I'm a UKIP man myself but there's no way they'd get in, especially with people tarring them with the same brush as the BNP, which is really unfair as UKIP aren't in the slightest bit fascist or racist.