PDA

View Full Version : Question about using an old cellular phone~

Comrade Nikita Ivanova
May 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM
See, I'm looking into buying a cellular phone, but the kind of phone I want is not sold in stores anymore. I know that when you buy a new cellular phone, you usually get the phone when you sign the service contract, or something like that. But what about when you want to use an old phone, how would you get service on it? I mean, do you just call up the phone company and ask for service? Or can you not use an old cellular phone at all?

I hope that made sense. I'm kind of phone-impaired, and bad at explaining it. xD

Ayselipera
May 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Just bring your phone to the company that features it. (At&t, Verizon, Sprint, etc.) Tell them that you would like to either switch over to that phone or begin a contract with that phone. This depends on whether or not you already have an existing cell phone plan or not. You may not be able to if the phone is extremely old, but in most cases it should go through smoothly.

donavannj
May 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
On networks that use SIM cards, like T-Mobile and AT&T, you could try inquiring about getting a SIM card without a phone, since the vast majority of these phones from the last 8 years have the same size SIM card slot.

Comrade Nikita Ivanova
May 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
So would one of those 80's brick phones be considered "extremely old"? Not that the 80's were all that long ago, but I'm sure it's a different case when it comes to cellular phones. And how do you know which company features it?

Wait, so the SIM card gives you phone service when you stick it into the phone? That's kind of nifty. Do phones older than 8 years have the SIM card slot at all, or did they just have a different sized one?

donavannj
May 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
So would one of those 80's brick phones be considered "extremely old"? Not that the 80's were all that long ago, but I'm sure it's a different case when it comes to cellular phones. And how do you know which company features it?

Wait, so the SIM card gives you phone service when you stick it into the phone? That's kind of nifty. Do phones older than 8 years have the SIM card slot at all, or did they just have a different sized one?

Those had smaller SIMs. And most of the phones you're going to find aren't likely going to be older than 5 years old and still be working.

FreakyLocz14
May 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't see why you would need a contract if you have your own phone and not buying a new phone.
You could always pre-pay.

Take AT&T for example.
It's $69.99 for unlimited Talk on AT&T contract plans but for the same price on GoPhone you get Talk AND Text.

I've learned to reject long-term contracts. Prepaid service is way better than it used to be it often rivals postpaid service nowadays.

Pokabu-M
May 13th, 2010, 04:44 AM
On networks that use SIM cards, like T-Mobile and AT&T, you could try inquiring about getting a SIM card without a phone, since the vast majority of these phones from the last 8 years have the same size SIM card slot.
I agree with this. You can just use your existing SIM card and transfer it to your new old-modeled phone.
If you don't have any subscription yet, you should bring your phone and apply using it.

Comrade Nikita Ivanova
May 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Really? I looked on eBay and there were lots of brick phones that said they still worked. Of course, they could be lying. I guess you never know.

Well, I've never had a cell phone before, so I can't use one of my old SIM cards. But you're saying that I can bring the phone to one of those cell phone places in the mall and tell them I want to use it? So it's that simple, as long as the phone still works?

donavannj
May 13th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Those places in the mall will probably try to sell you a new phone entirely, just to warn you. You should make it clear you're just looking for a phone service. And those "brick" phones are probably younger than you think. They are probably at most 10-12 years old, and most of them are probably in the ballpark of 5-8 years old. All you have to do is Google the phone model to find out how old it is.