PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom privacy!

Forever
May 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Do you think teenagers (and early adults) should have the right to have a lock on their bedroom door if they're still living at home? Why or why not?

ANARCHit3cht
May 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I think that they have a right to have a lock. I have one, but I never use it. I mean, it takes like two seconds to picklock the bedroom doors in my house.. so it doesn't accomplish much. But yeah, we are all entitled to our privacy, regardless of our age.

donavannj
May 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I personally don't think so (though I wouldn't mind one to keep my kleptomaniac sibling out), since they don't own the property. If they are paying rent to their parents/guardians, though, they should be able to have whatever kind of lock they want.

countryemo
May 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM
yes they should!

Too keep unwanted ppl out, like siblings/ ect..
and yea.

Human
May 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Personally, I'm a nudist so it doesn't matter to me who walks in.

:paranoid:

ILoveDragonite
May 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
wtf....why does it matter? sure why not, it's not like it'll 'cause any problems.

Pazuru
May 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Everyone should have the right to privacy, regardless of their age. Though yes it's not nice to lock people out of your room when you're mad at them, taking away ones right for privacy can just upset the teenager even more, especially considering that at that age, teenagers are either a: really active, b: likes to be alone a lot or c: a mix of both.

EmeraldSerenade
May 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Of Course. Privacy is wanted by most teenagers. Although, I don't even have a lock on my door, so I don't really care :3

Kid Coma
May 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Well sure, not that it matters...

They can just fap in the bathroom anyway.

Eternal Nightmare
May 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah every human being has the right to privacy. There are certain exceptions with teens...like doing something they know there not supposed to be doing <_<.

loliwin
May 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Well yes, mainly if they are sleeping and they can handle killers! XD

fer
May 11th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Oh gosh I would love a lock, I hate when everyone comes into my room to bother me at times. There is something wrong with this knob however it never locks my dad has tried multiple times to put a lock on it and never accomplished it ): I think it just needs a new door.

Droidz
May 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I sometimes hate it when people just barge into my room but i dont care that much to need a lock.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
May 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I would have sold my soul for a lock for my bedroom door back when I was a teenager. Better yet, an electronic card-key lock like that have at the hotels, so a) it would lock automatically, and b) my parents couldn't get duplicate keys made at the locksmith. But alas, that is all but a pipe dream...

I once considered buying one of those "heavy duty" locks that nothing short of a SWAT team could force open...

Reginaldvonburger
May 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I wish I had my own room and a lock.
I have a younger sister who steals EVERYTHING. Hairspray, make-up, deodorant, my guitar + picks, anything she finds really. And she uses it all up or loses it. I'm kinda fed up of it tbh.

Cherrim
May 12th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Yes, especially if one has parents who barge in without knocking. 8( My mom never quite understood the concept of knocking. Oh, she knocked, but she would knock as she was opening the door. So if I was in various states of undress or something, there was never a chance to say "hey don't come in yet!" or to move out of the line of sight of the door. :| Even just that, nevermind a lock, would've been nice.

Well, I did have a lock but it didn't work. :( Mostly everyone but mom respected that. *sigh*

But I do believe a lock is fine. If it's a lock with a key, both the room owner and the parents should have a copy "just in case" but... if you're having privacy issues, that's not going to be solved by just putting a lock on your door. That's something you've gotta sit down and talk through with your parents. The lock would mostly just be there to keep siblings out and the like. :s

Guillermo
May 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I have a room, but without a lock, and it annoys me to no end. Having no privacy makes me feel uneasy and like my dad doesn't trust me, which I know he does. The only good thing about not having a lock is that if I fall and potentially hurt myself, then my dad can help me.

I mean it's not like I do anything I'm not supposed to, but it's nice to have a lock so you don't have everyone in your face all the time.

TRIFORCE89
May 12th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I hated my room. I still I hate my room. I never ever hang out in there. So, I don't really care if my parents walk in. They'll be the only ones in there XD

I don't know what you would have in there that you don't want your parents to find. But maybe you shouldn't even have it in the first place :p

If you want a lock, go right ahead. I don't really get it though. If you want privacy, I think just asking for it and having a discussion with your parents might be better. Or knocking. Or something. Some kind of level of respect.

The Cynic
May 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Yes they should be allowed to lock their doors.

It's about respecting privacy and respecting boundries. Everyone needs time to themselves.

My mum never let me have a lock on my door. :cer_blankstare: She also never let me really have any privacy. I however moved out as soon as I finished school and am SO happy now!

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 12th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Locks vs Siblings = Very good reason to have a lock.

Lock vs Ignorant Parents = Very good reason to have a lock.

My mother played the "Let me barge in every 5 minutes un-announced so I can try and catch a glimpse of what you're doing." game

So I played the "Everytime you forget to knock I lock the door when you leave so you have no choice anymore" game

Worst part was she never seemed to get why I was not happy to have her barge in. It's as if she thought she was invisible.

Melody
May 12th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I think teens should be entitled to having a lock. Fortunately where I live now has a "If bedroom/bathroom door is closed then knock first" attitude, so we dont have privacy issues

Cherrim
May 12th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Worst part was she never seemed to get why I was not happy to have her barge in. It's as if she thought she was invisible.
lmao omg this. D:

My mom would get so annoyed when I'd lock the door after she'd do one of her KNOCKANDOPENTHEDOORATTHESAMETIME things and obviously she never understood how annoying it was because no matter how many times I asked her to not barge right in, she'd do it anyway. :|

Though at least it was always just to tell me something rather than to check up on what I was doing.

Sneeze
May 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM
If people want privacy they should have the right, I don't have a lock on my door but then again I don't have siblings, my mum sometimes comes in to drop of washing or whatever but never really for no reason so I don't mind. I just make sure I have do anything that could be considering embarrassing during the day. <.<

hiphiphippo
May 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
knowing how annoying young children can be, teens should definitely be allowed to have locks.

but i'm usually never in my room (unless i'm sleeping) cuz my computer is downstairs. sometimes i wish i could have it in my room so i can lock my niece out though, but i like being around my siblings (they're older) when they're home rather than being isolated in my room..

shookie
May 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Privacy's definitely important for anybody, it isn't very fair (not to mention kind of rude) to make people publicize every little thing that they're doing. Plus people sometimes just need "alone time," not in what I'm sure people are assuming, but if they just want to take a nap or have some quiet so they can read.

I wasn't allowed to close the door to my room, let alone lock it. I'm also an only child so this was only when I was at my dad's house with my stepbrother, who closed his door all the time. I really only closed it if I was playing the radio and didn't want it to be too loud for other people in the house, but beyond that, there wasn't a lot for me to hide as a preteen. Sometimes I just liked having the privacy though, even if I was just doing homework and didn't want to be bothered.

Nowadays I don't spend a lot of time in my room, as all of the space I use to work (whether it's my computer or larger projects) is out in the living/dining room. I only use my room to get dressed, sleep, watch movies or play console games, and in most of those cases I keep the door closed. My mom doesn't have to drop off laundry or anything for a few reasons, the most obvious being that my room is literally right next to the washer and dryer, so it's useless for her to pick up something of mine, turn 180 degrees, and knock on my door.

Toshiro.
May 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I agree that teens (and early adults) should be able to have a lock on their bedroom doors. As said before, privacy is important for everyone, and everyone should be able to have it.

flight
May 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I have a lock in my room, and it's pretty hard to get into my room without actually knocking on it first. Though there's actually no reason why I should be locking my room, except if I'm listening to music and just want to be left alone or if I'm doing homework(which is rarely to like, never).

Sometimes I just want to be left alone most of the time so I lock the door in that case. My mother respects that, so of course she knocks first. We never seem to have any issues with each other in regards to privacy. She has hers and I have mine.

Ayselipera
May 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Everyone needs privacy no matter how small that amount is. This usually doesn't happen, but every once and a while when I'm in my room with the door shut someone will barge in to say nothing of any importance. I don't mind if someone needs to tell me something, even if it doesn't pertain to me in anyway, but I'd really appreciate it if they would knock. Times like this I wish I had lock just so I could have that sense of being alone for a little while.

I think the problem is some parents either don't trust their children or maybe they're just oblivious to the fact sometimes we get annoyed when they walk in unannounced. If a parent is weary of what their child is doing in their room then they should keep a key on hand to their room. That way the child can be able to have some privacy and if the parent thinks anything is up they can unlock the door themselves. That sounds like the simplest solution to me.

Saltare.
May 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I just shut my door. I never lock it unless I'm changing. My parents are pretty good about my privacy. If my door is closed, they will knock before opening it.

But I don't think teens should lock their doors...because they could be doing something bad o.o

Michfan
May 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Haha, there have definitely been times that I wish that I had a lock on my door.But I don't think teens should lock their doors...because they could be doing something bad o.oMainly for this reason, haha, but in my single days, there isn't anything that I would hide (I'm almost always either playing my bass guitar or online, since I own a laptop).

Ashe~
May 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I have a lock on my door, but my parents never go in there :)

Dixie Kong
May 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I think 16 and above have the right. Under that though, no, especially 13 year olds. God knows what they're doing in there. But that age...just really needs monitoring. I didn't think it was that bad when I was 13, mainly cause I was the 13 year old, so I no flaws in anything I did. Now that my sister is 13, I can't stand it.

She locks her door all the time. She's gonna get in trouble and I tell her over and over to leave it unlocked. She still locks it. She already lies about her age and stuff on the internet...don't need her in there doing God knows what.

I sound like such a southerner.

jmadude
May 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
You guys are lucky to have some privacy. My parents just walk into my room without knocking just to tell me something I truly don't care about. And to top it all of I have two younger brothers who are always in my room, so if I need privacy I just go to the bathroom.

Eeohnex
May 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
You guys are lucky to have some privacy. My parents just walk into my room without knocking just to tell me something I truly don't care about. And to top it all of I have two younger brothers who are always in my room, so if I need privacy I just go to the bathroom.
Haha, the bathroom, you must have no privacy at all, feel bad for you buddy.

I'm 17 years old and I have a lock on my door, but I rarely use it. I guess I could say I have some privacy, most of the time my parents walk in into my room without even knocking, or if they do, they are knocking at the same time they are opening the door. The good thing about it is that, at least they have something important to tell me.

Idiot!
May 13th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I am the only kid in the house now, and my parents are home maybe only to sleep and spend the weekend. It's like having a whole house to myself. But I still use the lock. The reason being cats. Yes, four legged, clawed, fish-stealing cats.

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 13th, 2010, 07:25 AM
lmao omg this. D:

My mom would get so annoyed when I'd lock the door after she'd do one of her KNOCKANDOPENTHEDOORATTHESAMETIME things and obviously she never understood how annoying it was because no matter how many times I asked her to not barge right in, she'd do it anyway. :|

Though at least it was always just to tell me something rather than to check up on what I was doing.

*Hugs* We shall share this pain. >o< She still does it too.

BHwolfgang
May 13th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Sometimes, I feel as if my room is my only santuary. My door luckily has a lock on it. My parents get so mad when I lock it. Whenever my mother would like to scream into my ear talk me, she'd have to pick the locks open. It's that bad of a situation. I hate my parents, and I hate them even more when they barge into my room for no apparent reason except to lecture me about how bad my grades are.

I too wish that my door also have one of those advance locks that one would only see in top security faculities. Wouldn't it be so cool to have a voice and fingerprint scanners as one of your security protection. However, I can see my mother bashing a hammer on each of them to get through.

Yeah, sometimes I go to the restroom or a friend's house for more privacy. Even if I'm at one of those places, one of my parents would at least check on me every hour. They would either call my friend's phone, or knock on the door to see if I'm done using the restroom yet.

Trap-Eds
May 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Heh...this reminds me of something from the FairlyOdd Parents:

"Timmy! I'm both respecting your privacy by knocking, but asserting my authority as your father by COMING IN ANYWAY!" *demolishes door with battering ram*

xDD Hehheh... but anyway, I believe that everybody deserves privacy, duhh; but you really shouldn't need a lock unless your family or whoever you live with doesn't know anything about personal space. My parents are pretty respectful of me and my room, thankfully...

TRIFORCE89
May 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Heh...this reminds me of something from the FairlyOdd Parents:

"Timmy! I'm both respecting your privacy by knocking, but asserting my authority as your father by COMING IN ANYWAY!" *demolishes door with battering ram*

xDD Hehheh... but anyway, I believe that everybody deserves privacy, duhh; but you really shouldn't need a lock unless your family or whoever you live with doesn't know anything about personal space. My parents are pretty respectful of me and my room, thankfully...
I laughed out loud. I remember that episode.

Akarei Yorume
May 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I want a lock so bad. I am one of those people who has parents who knock at the same time as opening the door. And, as irony would have it, it's usually in the middle of me changing... and putting certain items of clothing on >>;
Darn peoples won't leave me alone! *shakes fist*

Numbers
June 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I say yes. Everyone should have a right to privacy I hated it when I was younger (about 11) and my mum could just walk into my room whenever. Now I have a lock and she never comes in, it just makes me feel a little more free.

twocows
June 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
All people, legal minor or otherwise, should have the right to privacy. It is something that is necessary for many in the modern world.

Dubstep
June 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Unless the parents have reason to suspect that they're having a small herd of prostitutes over or doing drugs in there, why shouldn't they be able to? Privacy is important, especially for growing up. Kids need to have something that's just for them sometimes.

beca
June 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Yes.
It's ridiculous how many times I've been walked in on during really awkward moments :x it would have been lovely to have the option to keep unwanted visitors out. ~_~

Gold warehouse
June 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I've never spent any time in my room, my room is for sleeping and only my bed and clothes are in there. The computer, TV and other things have always been downstairs where anyone could use them and I never really had a problem with that.

With my own kids, I wouldn't let them have a lock on their room. I'd hope we'd be close enough so that they wouldn't feel the need to hide things from me anyway... But the only door that's going to be locked in my house, is the door that leads outside. Just because I don't think there's a need for anyone to try and segregate themselves from the rest of the family. I never felt a need to seperate myself, and if my child did want some alone time then they could just ask for it, if they're not doing anything they shouldn't be then I see no reason as to why they'd be reluctant to tell me about it.

FreakyLocz14
June 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
If they are paying rent then yes.
If not, they are living with someone else for free thus they are bound by the homeowner's or rent payers rules.

Tater Tot
June 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
They can just fap in the bathroom anyway.

^this rofl.

I mean, everyone deserves privacy if they need it, but... it's not a big deal. XD;

NOOBLMAO
June 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Since getting a lock for my door, I don't have to angle my computer screen away from the doorway anymore.

Throat
June 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I wrongly read "bathroom", so I was going to say "I'd never be able to use it without a lock", hoho. I think people shouldn't act like "you're not paying anything, you have no right". Keep in mind no one asked to be born and the parents have their duties, surely many things (almost everything) depend on the judgement of the adult, so if they have anything against it...

ChrisTom
June 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Privacy is a right, not a privelage. You are dehumanizing somebody by taking away there privacy. I remember when I went to a VERY bad school. It was filled with security cameras, metal detectors, and a very small library. I once asked a teacher a philosophical question on my mind.

Me: "Why can't I talk to teachers about homework and things relating to my studies? Am I less of a human just because of my Age? Is it true that despite the fact there are people older than me who are less mature and intelligent, I am less of a human being than them due to my age?"

*long pause*

Teacher: "Yes. Now be quiet and do your work."

I think that even children who know how to use a lock properly should be allowed to have a right to privacy. I'm surprised you asked this about teens because a healthy growing teen needs privacy for self esteem, confidence, and um... well you know... pleasuring. People who think otherwise must have had an awfully odd childhood. Teens need privacy like birds need flight. They need to learn to mature on their own and make decisions for themselves. Their world is for them to find out, not somebody else to make it for them.

Yamikarasu
June 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I rarely use the lock on my door, but when I do it's usually because I'm mad and just don't want anyone entering my room at the moment. I don't see why kids shouldn't be able to lock their rooms. I don't think it's a matter of it being a "right," but I think the parents would be jerks if they just walked in on their teenagers without knocking, or if they did it frequently just because they were paranoid about what might be going on in there.

Shake
June 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm "scitzophrenic" so I kind of need a lock. I also have a mom that knocks as she is opening the door T_T. She always says "If you want privacy lock the door" and when I do lock the door she tries to kick it down...Wah

Tranitar
June 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM
God... I have one of the locks that you can pick with a Butter Knife... My annoying as hell 7 year old Nephew always picks it so when I lock my door when hes over I have to push my bed infront of it so he doesnt come in then he spazzes out and goes to tell my dad to make me let him in... that really pisses me off... I also have those parents and older siblings that just barge in grab what your doing sit next to you breathing in your ear to watch me play HG that really pisses me off... I have a DS what am i gonna fing do? I have no computer and all I got in my room is a small plasma, a fan, a 360, and a ps2... And i dont even have live on my 360... so what am i gonna be doing in my room and whats the point of them barging in there?

Limey-chan
June 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Nevermind a lock, i'd kill to have a bedroom door that doesn't need lifting up and pushed in to get it to close, and one that doesn't pop back open at the slightest bit of movement/breeze.

Privacy isn't a huge issue for me anyway really, hardly anyone but me comes into my room. Nobody's got any need to.

Zoroark-Nightmare
June 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
*raises hand*
What if you're eleven?

Anyway, yeah... I DO think that they should.
If I could lock my door, I would put my computer in there.
but.. I can't...

Even though i'm not thirteen.

still.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty
June 9th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Yes. Everybody has a right to privacy. Although, I never felt the need to have a lock on my door because my parents always knocked and waited for me to answer. I don't understand parents who don't - it's basic manners!

lucariojon
June 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I can only close my door, not lock it. Not because my mom/dad won't let me, a stupid reason. My friend broke the lock trying to get in (I have the crappiest lock there is..)

I think that all people should be able to lock there doors while sleeping, no matter what.

Beechlgz
June 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I think if there will be a lock, the parents should be able to enter in the case of emergencies, emergency key or lock pick or something. I know that kind of defeats the purpose, but say you fell and banged your head, knocked yourself out and started vomiting due to concussion while unconscious, possibly choking on it? I know the probability is slim of something serious happening or needing serious emergency help and being unable to unlock your own door, but it can happen. Fire in the house, you might be a heavy sleeper (or deeply unconscious due to smoke inhalation) and people are banging on the door to try to wake you up so you can unlock it and let yourself out, but you don't awaken...

I dunno, but it just seems a hazard to me. At least with an emergency key only your parents knew about you could keep your annoying siblings out.

Captain Fabio
June 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
The way I look at it is, when my door is closed, it means I am busy.

When open, feel free to come in. That is the system I have at University!

Cassino
June 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Since my back's to the door while I'm at the computer that I'm always at, I would value something that lets me know when the door's been opened, but I don't believe privacy is a right in the house one's parents own... still, it seems a bit arsey not to give your child such a simple thing if they want it.

I know the probability is slim of something serious happening or needing serious emergency help and being unable to unlock your own door, but it can happen.
I should think it pretty standard for a household to possess an axe for cutting firewood... well, at least we use our fireplace. The same axe can be used to cut through the door.

Just a thought really, I don't expect many people actually do have axes handy anymore, but something sharp and heavy could be reserved for such an instance, or maybe just a crowbar.

Beechlgz
June 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I should think it pretty standard for a household to possess an axe for cutting firewood... well, at least we use our fireplace. The same axe can be used to cut through the door.

Just a thought really, I don't expect many people actually do have axes handy anymore, but something sharp and heavy could be reserved for such an instance, or maybe just a crowbar.

I honestly don't know anyone who owns an axe, or a crowbar, or anything heavy and sharp that could cut through wood. Also, where I'm from at least most people can't afford a fireplace (or don't have a chimney), or afford a house (some of us live in apartments). It's actually quite unusual for a household round here to have an axe or a crowbar. I've never met anyone who has one. Simple gardening tools at best.

Anyway, if someone felt secure in their ability to quickly remove a door with an axe or crowbar then fair enough. But cutting through the door/prying the lock or even going to fetch the item could waste valuable seconds, especially for someone who isn't used to chopping. Or the item might be out of reach due to fire or whatever other emergency.

I guess it's up to whoever it is to weigh the risks and decide how much of a risk they want to take. Minuscule risk but severe consequences. I just think it's a bit unwise to have the lock be completely unopenable.