PDA

View Full Version : Microwaves


Yusshin
May 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM
My microwave in the kitchen killed my dad's desktop downstairs.

How?

We don't have a clue LOL especially since my dad's computer is connected to a top-of-the-line power breaker box.

It all started when I wanted penne pollo for breakfast, so I popped it in the microwave and waited. My dad then comes upstairs calmly and says "The moment you started the microwave, my computer restarted." I thought that was funny lol until he tried to log into his computer account and his keyboard no longer worked. It works in safe mode, but not on normal log-on.

He finally logged on normally, and now 70% of his programs don't open. He can't get online, and his anti-viruses Bit Defender 64x doesn't launch.

When he tries to return to a restore point, he gets the following two errors:

- Blocked disc; please replace the disc and try again
- Please reattach Port 3 Hub and launch system restore again

(Something like that)

It's about a year old the computer lol just after warranty. 8GB of RAM, octo-core, badass processor, top-of-the-line graphic card, and a harddrive the size of 1.5 terrabytes.

Now it's semi-****ed XD because of a microwave! Yay!

PkMnTrainer Yellow
May 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have no idea how that's possible, frankly o.O;
That things close to my Desktop's level too.
Majorly lame.

Yusshin
May 14th, 2010, 12:39 PM
inorite lol

It can't be a power surge. It's in an entirely different room + top-of-the-line power surge protection box.

It's nice weather, too :< sunny outside.

So random LOL XD

Cassino
May 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Microwaves are electromagnetic, so I'm thinking maybe it 'leaked' and damaged the computer? Magnetism does that to electrics... I have no idea how radiation works but it's a decent guess I think, since assuming your kitchen is also downstairs I'd gather it's reasonably close to the computer.
Just guessing though.

The Cynic
May 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Microwaves are electromagnetic, so I'm thinking maybe it 'leaked' and damaged the computer? Magnetism does that to electrics... I have no idea how radiation works but it's a decent guess I think, since assuming your kitchen is also downstairs I'd gather it's reasonably close to the computer.
Just guessing though.

Yeah this is the general gist of it. Microwaves are EM waves and electricity is also EM. Mobile phones use microwaves, hence that jittering you sometimes get before a phone call. Just move the computer further away.

I shouldn't cause that sort of damage though. That is weird. A computer-guy or computer-gal could maybe help with the software problems your having. I'm just explaining the physics.

Yusshin
May 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I know that :s but the microwave is upstairs; the computer is downstairs on the other side of the house.

I can imagine it damaging the computer if it was in the same room xD but it's not! It's so far away o_o That's why it's so weird!

Melody
May 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah... the timing of the failure is coincidental...it's probably faulty hardware to blame. x3

Zet
May 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
faulty hardware or just a virus he got from doing something. Though, I'm impressed he can hear a microwave downstairs at the other side of the house.

Yusshin
May 14th, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's kinda loud :< it makes banging noise sometimes; I think my sister busted it a bit XD

it'd be funny if it was coincidental xD

twocows
May 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Broken microwaves can leak electromagnetic radiation. It is important that you do not attempt to use broken microwaves, as electromagnetic radiation can be harmful to humans as well as to computers. If it's interfering with your computer on the other end of the house, you're getting a very unhealthy dose yourself.

Gumball Watterson
May 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
We are learning about Electromagnetism in my science class this month. And yes, I believe that the microwave may be broken and cause a leak of microwaves. That tends to seriously interfere with electronic objects.

However, that is only a possibility. It is also possible that the events were a coincidence. I suggest you check other electronics that were closer to the microwave to see if they work.

Archer
May 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
If it's making noises, I'm assuming someone put something metal in there. I which case it may be leaking microwaves. A good way to test is to put a 3G phone in there (or at least something between the 1600-2100 frequencies) and ring it from an external phone. If the microwave cuts out the reception, it's generally safe-ish. Don't take my word for it, though. Get a Geiger counter. :P

As for the computer, if the Microwave was pumping out that much radiation, you would have noticed. Coincidence.

I fail to see how it's octo-core. If it's an i7, that's quad-core; task manager will show up 8 threads, due to multithreading.

诶伊艾诶豆诶维伊
May 20th, 2010, 08:04 PM
it's probably the microwaves interfering with internet. it can happen..

The Cynic
May 21st, 2010, 04:32 AM
If it's making noises, I'm assuming someone put something metal in there. I which case it may be leaking microwaves. A good way to test is to put a 3G phone in there (or at least something between the 1600-2100 frequencies) and ring it from an external phone. If the microwave cuts out the reception, it's generally safe-ish. Don't take my word for it, though. Get a Geiger counter. :P

As for the computer, if the Microwave was pumping out that much radiation, you would have noticed. Coincidence.

I fail to see how it's octo-core. If it's an i7, that's quad-core; task manager will show up 8 threads, due to multithreading.

Do this! Just don't put the microwave on when your ringing the phone! :cer_tongue:

Archer
May 22nd, 2010, 01:21 AM
Do this! Just don't put the microwave on when your ringing the phone! :cer_tongue:
Well, yeah, but anyone clever enough to do that shouldn't be allowed to have access to electricity.