PDA

View Full Version : [B/W] The Starter Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Noah Ridgewood
May 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hah, I hate these types of threads, but I came here so surprised that it wasn't already created within the few minutes this forum was public.

So there are three starters, of course. All with the basic types: fire, grass, and water.

So, for the purpose of starting a discussion, what's your favorite starter available?

Tsutaaja (ツタージャ) is the Grass Snake Pokemon, its ability is Overgrow, it is 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 8.1 kg (17.9 lbs). "Tsuta" means "ivy" and "ja" is one way of saying the word "snake."
Pokabu (ポカブ) is the Fire Pig Pokemon, its ability is Blaze, it stands 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 9.9 kg (21.9 lbs). The name derives from "pokapoka," which means "warm" in Japanese, and "bu," the sound a pig makes in Japanese culture (here it's "oink").
Mijumaru (ミジュマル) is the Sea Otter Pokemon, its ability is Torrent, it is 0.5 m (1.6 ft) tall, and it weighs 5.9 kg (13 lbs). "Mijuku" means "immature" and "maru" means "round" or "ball."

Source: PokeBeach [article link (http://pokebeach.com/2010/05/remaining-corocoro-pages-leaked-tsutaaja-pokabu-and-mijumaru-validated)]

As for me, design-wise, I find that Tsutaaja is my favorite. I'm a little confused, though, because although it looks like a reptile, it doesn't look like a sneak, but moreso of a lizard of some type. I'm severely disappointed that they're keeping the traditional Overgrow, Blaze, Torrent ability trio that was first introduced. I was hoping for a mix-up of new abilities. They're breaking a lot of traditions they first introduced when creating the games, and although we're only two generations in with abilities, baww at their choices. :(

Agent Clank
May 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Mijumaru is My favorite cause to me he resembles Piplup.
Which I love Piplup.
So yeah I am picking Mijumaru cause He's Awesome.

.EJ
May 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I for one despise the fire type starter. The fire-type starters have been able to stand on two legs....except for now. The grass type starter reminds me of Flygon/Sceptile so that's a plus. I like the idea of a sea otter pokemon and I'm glad he's a starter.

I hope the final evolutions are wicked.

Noah Ridgewood
May 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Mijumaru is My favorite cause to me he resembles Piplup.
Which I love Piplup.
So yeah I am picking Mijumaru cause He's Awesome.
When it comes to Mijumaru, at first I didn't like him. I found his design to be really childish and really unappealing to me as a whole. But after seeing the battle footage of him fighting Pokabu, I found him to be absolutely adorable. The way he moves is just adorable. For me, anything can overcome me with cuteness and that's what Mijimaru did. I found it to be so cute that it went from me not liking it at all to me absolutely adoring it (except not as much as Tsutaaja).

Tsutaaja > Mijimaru > Pokabu :>

Arcelio
It's an otter? I thought it was a bear... I also thought the snake was a dinosaur. The pig is the only thing I got right...

flight
I'm very pleased with the starters that they've managed to come up with. At first I was going to be "disappointed" but now what they have now is making me more eager to see what the starters' evos are going to be.

Guy
May 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
As far as design goes, I like Tsutaaja the best simply because it isn't overdone and it isn't underdone. It's just right as a starter and has a cool concept. As far as it being based on a Snake, I don't see it much as I probably should - more so a lizard than anything. I feel as though Pokabu was a little overdone and Mijumaju (love it's name by the way) was just a little too over-thought being based on a Sea Otter and all.

I can't actually choose a personal favorite as yet though. I feel as it's too early since final evolutions aren't revealed as yet and probably won't until prior to the game's release this Fall. When I did see them all first, it took some time to actually recognize them as region starters, but as of recently they've all sunk in. I even like Mijumaju (shame on you haters out there), and after it's debut today in Pokémon Sunday, I can say my likeness towards it grew.

BeachBoy
May 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I need to see the entire evolutionary chain before picking a full-on favorite, but so far, I'm in love with Pokabu. Yes yes, we all know I love water-types and Mijumaju, but Pokabu just seems so energetic, so lovable, so awesome. In my opinion, he's the best fire starter since the one I picked, Charmander. (go ahead Cyndaquil lover, hate me) Tsutaaja is so laid back and has a deceptive ideal, perhaps a touch of royalty, to him. So I like him as well.

It's going to be extremely difficult to pick one, I like 'em all. XD;

As for Mijumaju, the often said "ugly duckling" of these starters, I don't find it over-done. I find it adorable. Like Nick said, the battle scene gave it a new "whaaabbly" cuteness, too. Personally I think people are looking far too much into the official art and nit-picking about the nose, freckles, etc. (Orange is a very common contrast to blue, I don't know why people say orange is completely random, it's not) It also looks brown in some aspects and places, but yeah.

Toshiro.
May 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I am pleased with both the grass type starter and the fire type starter. Their designs are quite creative, especially the grass starter. I like him the most.

I am disappointed with the water starters design. I mean, it looks like Piplup, but an Ice type version. Idk, I don't like him.

I can't wait to see their evolutions.

shookie
May 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Pokabu, without a doubt. I mean, come on, it's a fire pig! It's just begging for bacon puns.

Hamilton
May 15th, 2010, 06:26 PM
so far i can't really pick between Tsutaja and Mijumaru (but i do love Pokabu too- just not as much)

Mongo
May 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Really disappointed in the water starter, but I like the other two a lot.

Definitely going to pick Tsutaaja.

Alternative
May 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Out of all the Gen 5 starters, I really only like the Grass one. It looks like a cool reptile/snake thing. It should get like, secondary bug type or something.

The fire one looks weird. I mean from seeing the Silhouette, it looked like a Turtwig x Spoink/Grumpig thing, and it's a fire type. I think it would be cool if it had defensive capabilities, which other fire types don't have.

The water one does look more childish than the other starters, and looks like a baby Polar Bear or something. It looks more like an Ice Type than water.

Waffle-San
May 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I must say based on their first evo's I love them all!! I'd have to single out Mijumaru as my favourite though, I mean ask me before Pokemon Sunday came out and I would have been pretty unsure but Mijumaru's animation put him over the top for me!! He's adorable!!

LordDarkrai
May 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I like Tsutaaja and the fire starter I don't mind and I don't like the water starter for now.

Tyrantrum
May 15th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I like Tsutaaja because he looks the coolest. XD; But Pokabu and Mijumaru are pretty cute, as well. When I saw Mijumaru's description, I started laughing. XDDD Immature ball... lol.

I might either start with Tsutaaja because of his awesomeness or Pokabu because I like Fire types. There could be a chance of picking Mijumaru, but for me, picking the starter mostly depends on the first gym leader's type and what kinds of Pokémon you find before the first gym.

Kirbychu
May 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
They aren't that good, but they are miles away from Sinnoh's.

allBlue
May 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Delthero (http://delthero.deviantart.com/) of Deviant art.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.

Edit: The artist goes by the name of StarryLatiasGirl (http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=15980) right here on this forum and on Deviant Art (http://delthero.deviantart.com/). Great job LatiasGirl :D

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8589/28512142793354893415506.jpg

Hamilton
May 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

For the confused minds, this is a fan art and an awesome one at that. As you can see, the grass starter already grew on me.

.............................. e.O .........................................
sorry i think i just went blind for a few seconds due to the pure win of that fan art

Mr.Crowley
May 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Snake is by far one of the coolest starters I've seen in a while.

The Otter... Is the whorst Pokemon concept I've seen to this day, I just plain hate it. I will decimate any of those I see while playing, without remorse.

Noah Ridgewood
May 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Shamelessly stolen from Serebii forums :P Credit goes to Sheimi-Shaymin of serebii.

That is probably one of the best evolution chains I've ever seen. Even though it's fanart. It reminds me a lot of the Treecko evolution chain, which is one of the very few chains that capture nearly every single aspect of the original Pokémon and expand upon each aspect of it. I'm really hoping that Tsutaaja's evolution chain plays out something like this. That final evolution stage is just... omg. <3

Sylphiel
May 15th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I feel weird, in that the grass type is actually my least favorite. I don't hate it, but it just...isn't doing much for me, really.

Pokabu was the one I fell for instantly...which is odd, since I don't tend to go for the fire starters too much. It's a cute pig, that's all I know. Mijumaru I was kind of "eh" about until I realized that it's supposed to be a sea otter - and while I do think that it could have benefited from being slightly simpler in design, I love it purely for it being an otter.

Still like Pokabu over it, though.

For once, I'm actually really wanting to see how these things evolve.

yomamathecableguy
May 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Ever since I first played Red version, I've ALWAYS chosen the fire starter. This will be no different. :)

Haza
May 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Tsutaja is my favorite. it looks like the biggest diva out of the three, and we all know who the biggest diva on PC is... we belong together haha.

PiPVoda
May 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Mijumaru for me. I find him adorable and I always start with the water starter anyways. Pokabu is my second favorite and Tsutaja still looks a little weird to me. It's just the shape of its body. It looks kind of sassy, sort of like Treecko, but uhh yeah Tsutaja's appearance just is....D:

Usagi-Chan~
May 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM
The cute glob of bacon! <3 I called that it would be a fire pig starter when I saw the sillohuete, With Tsutaja and Mijumaru tied for second~

lx_theo
May 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Grass lizard/snake one is easily the best of the bunch. I don't go for cute almost ever, and the concepts seem very lacking to me.

Waffle-San
May 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Besides a couple exceptions I usually find fan art to be either entertaining or just plain bad. This how ever (along with a dolphin Lanturn evo) is the mother of all exceptions. I mean I would kill for this to be a real pokemon!!

PiPVoda
May 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM

if Tsutaja's evos did look like this, then that would make it what a grass/dragon type more than likely? It is said to a grass snake, what snakes appear as dragons? Any?

Timbjerr
May 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Pokabu is by far the cutest starter ever created...and if he evolves into something appropriately cool enough (nothing short of a large razorback with a flaming body and oversized tusks) he will be the first fire-type that I have chosen since Cyndaquil. :D

Otherwise, I will default to my traditional affinity to the grass-type starter, and Tsutaaja looks as if it can evolve into something that will make Venusaur, Sceptile, and Torterra proud to be its predecessors. (Meganium omitted because it's not cool like the rest of them. XD)

Mijumaru...it's not bad, it's just that I'm not a big fan of water-types that don't have "Tenta" or "Quag" in their name...

...how the hell do people think he looks like Piplup though? I see a tiny bear, not a tiny penguin. =/

Dillon_68
May 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Its just something about the water starter, i'm just...in love with it! Idk what it is. I have never had a preference for my starter type, and I have had at least 1 starter of each type, specifically I have had 2 grass, 1 fire and 1 water. Now its gonna be 2 water.

yung_link
May 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
im definetely picking Mijumaru, always picked the water starter, always will...btw r those their english names?

lx_theo
May 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
if Tsutaja's evos did look like this, then that would make it what a grass/dragon type more than likely? It is said to a grass snake, what snakes appear as dragons? Any?

Chinese dragon? Its does have hands and feet, in contrast to a snake.

EmeraldSerenade
May 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm choosing Pokabu. I love pigs, and well, he's a.... fire pig :D
I love fire starters anyways ^^

Timbjerr
May 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
im definetely picking Mijumaru, always picked the water starter, always will...btw r those their english names?

Of course they're not. They'll eventually get translated names like Mosnake, Flamoink, and Beotter. :P

Dillon_68
May 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Nope, Japanese. The games haven't even been officially announced in English speaking countries, yet.

Sweet Smoochum
May 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I love all the fifth gen starters. They're absolutely adorable! I especially love the Sea Otter one. It's much cuter than Piplup. Gasp! I must have that otter pokemon! <33

The Fire Pig is cute.
The Grass one rocks and reminds me a bit of Flygon.
but the water one, gasp! It's a cutie! (I love the blue! and the shell is pretty.)

I think the water one may be my new favorite Pokemon. C:

Massai
May 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I was a little displeased with the starters at first glance and I'm still not a big fan of sad panda Wotter, but I expect all of them to have fantastic final evolutions, and Wotter will probably be one of the best.

I'm torn between which I will choose, whether it will be Smugizard or Pignition.

Bamboo Basara
May 15th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Pokabu stole my heart. :)

Toxicroak
May 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Tsutaaja is so unique, the other 2 look like they were bassed off Sinnoh starters.

i reccon Tsutaaja's final evo will look so freaking cool.

the water one would look like a giant icecream and the fire one would look something like grumpig

Rei Shingetsu
May 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Omfg, what can I say?
This is WHAT I have in mind!
This is just, awesome! -Drools-

And to answer this thread, yes, Tsutaja all the way!

FloatingClouds
May 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Grass starter equals : <3
I love it and the fan art

Rei Shingetsu
May 16th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Chinese dragon? Its does have hands and feet, in contrast to a snake.

Not to mention in the Chinese's mythology, Snake from 12th Zodiac was said to be a Dragon before he turned into a snake to join in the fray, so, it's possible.

Thunderpunch
May 16th, 2010, 12:36 AM

I would use that.

The fire pig looks terrible. Same with the blue teddy bear. What ever happened to teeth and claws? Charmander, Totodile, hell even Squirtle looked tougher than these things. At least the grass one looks like it has some attitude.

vibratingcat
May 16th, 2010, 12:58 AM
i like tsutaaja and pokabu. i will probs choose pokabu as i hav always chosen the fire type in my first running, but if the final evo is some fat ugly pig, then tsutaaja.

Zenith95s
May 16th, 2010, 01:14 AM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8418/tsutaja.png
3 CHEERS FOR TSUTAAJA!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4618/mijumaru.png
2 CHEERS FOR MIJUMARU!

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9518/pokabu.png
1 CHEER FOR POKABU!

As, Tsutaaja gets 3 cheers I might choose him, but Mijumaru also has chances!
But Pokabu, I'm sorry.....

hashtag
May 16th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I love the water starter so much. <3 I really do not understand why everyone is giving it so much flak, I think it's the best water starter since Johto. Overall, though, I think that the whole starter choice is one of the best that Gamefreak has ever presented us with; it definitely matches up to Kanto an Johto for me.

Idiot!
May 16th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Insert random filler here.

sampika08
May 16th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I always pick the one that has the coolest threevolution. Which may very well be the grass snake.

Major_Tom
May 16th, 2010, 04:34 AM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8418/tsutaja.png
3 CHEERS FOR TSUTAAJA!

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4618/mijumaru.png
2 CHEERS FOR MIJUMARU!

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9518/pokabu.png
1 CHEER FOR POKABU!

As, Tsutaaja gets 3 cheers I might choose him, but Mijumaru also has chances!
But Pokabu, I'm sorry.....
Thats basically my opinion of them as well.

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 04:52 AM
This will be hard for me, because I love all Pokemon, but I wanted to pick Mijumaru because it was not getting any respect, everyone hated on it, that's why it is frowning :< So, now I realize that people are going to be picking him, so that sort of changed directions! I may pick Pokabu, seeing as he's a so-so, some people seem to not want him, and some do seem to want him, so I will either go with Pokabu, or Mijumaru.

Left4Dead
May 16th, 2010, 05:26 AM
*Sigh* I think I'm the only one that hates all three starters :( I'm not usually a hater, I LOVE all Pokemon... up until now. Am I crazy? I'm not sure, maybe give me a little longer looking at them and I might come around. I'll have to see their evolutions first before I make the decision on whether I like them or not. I just feel these three look more like Fakemon to me :|
Anyway, If I HAD to pick a favourite it'd maybe be the grass type one. But only because I had a look at that fan art that someone posted earlier and the evolutions looked cool. It'd be great if the actual designs looked even remotely like those.

Forever
May 16th, 2010, 05:30 AM
They all look weird. Although Pokabu seems somewhat appealing.

Zeph.
May 16th, 2010, 05:33 AM
These starters have certainly grown on me :) At first i was like, "Meh..." but what I like about them is how creative they are. I'm glad GameFreak isn't just tweaking animals slightly and calling it a pokemon (Dewgong... *cough*).

I'm gonna pick Pokabu. It just seems to be the most comical of the three, and I like fire types too :3

Weird
May 16th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Tsutaaja is my favourite, because It reminds me of treecko. But POKABU has a good design, too. I loved the water starters in each game, but MIJUMARU is kind of ugly. Hopefully he'll get a cool evolution. In the end i'll use all of them in my first playthrough.

Sweed
May 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Ok, first off I am so disappointed in the starters designs. They all suck in my opinion, but until I see the whole line I cannot make any final decisions.

I could see a huge grass Cobra for Tsutaaja, a sort of bristled warthog for Pokabu, and for Mijumaru I don't have a design in mind.

In order of likes by looks, I like Tsutaaja, Pokabu, then Mijumaru.

Nemaru
May 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I think that I speak for a good amount of Pokemon fans when I say that disappointment is a mutual feeling among us. They could've done much much better, imo. I think they just rushed to get them out there because B/W is coming out later this year and whatnot.

But, seeing as there's no changing them now, we have to live with them. To be honest, I don't hate them, at least not as much as I did a few days ago. They sorta grew on me. Mijumaru is extremely cute, even if it does look like a Bidoof dressed in a snow-cone costume. I like Pokabu the least, it's like a Turtwig/Spoink demon child. Tsutaaja I think is my favorite, just a little more then Mijumaru. It just looks pretty damn epic.

But, these are also just the first evolutions. Piplup, a cute, harmless penguin baby turned into a bad*ss steel Emperor Penguin machine monster thingy. Charmander, an innocent, adorable Salamander turns into a fricken' Fire-Breathing Dragon, Charizard. See where I'm going? There is hope that these somewhat fail starters turn into amazing Pokemon.

juanhbk1
May 16th, 2010, 07:00 AM
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/135/a/6/Mijumaru_Evolution_Chain_by_TheKoopaDasher.pnghttp://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/134/6/1/Pokabu_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpghttp://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/135/b/7/Tsutaja_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpg

EPIC WIN! EPIC WIN! JIZZ IN MY PANTS!

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/i/2010/135/4/7/Theories_on_Pokabu_by_BrokenTeapot.jpg

Opposite Day
May 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I find all three almost equally adorable, actually. Even so, the grass one is my favourite, it simply looks so... smug and confident, compared to the others. Here's to picking the grass one this generation as well!

Mew~
May 16th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I gonna start with Tsutaaja! To me it looks like the best starter... the water one looks like a clown. I don't mind the fire one that much... but I wouldn't pick it because im sure I would feel guilty of eatin bacon n' sausages before turnin on meh DS and training meh pokebu!

My judgement may change if I think the evolutions are any good ;)

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/135/a/6/Mijumaru_Evolution_Chain_by_TheKoopaDasher.pnghttp://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/134/6/1/Pokabu_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpghttp://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/135/b/7/Tsutaja_Evolution_Line_by_PashaPup.jpg

EPIC WIN! EPIC WIN! JIZZ IN MY PANTS!

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/i/2010/135/4/7/Theories_on_Pokabu_by_BrokenTeapot.jpg
Lol at the HAM!
I like the evolutions but what happened to Tsutaajas arms and legs? And I think the water one looks a little like mewtwo (well its bottom end) and I like pokebus second evo but I don't really like the 3rd evo...

Arma
May 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
They aren't that good, but they are miles away from Sinnoh's.

Sinnoh had the worst starters, IMO

I really can't choose. I like Tsutaaja because it isn't as sluggish looking as the previous grass starters except, treecko. Pokabu is rather original, I mean the fire starters alway had low defenses, this one looks lot sturdier compared to the ones of the previous generations. I really didn't like Mijamaru when I first saw him, but he seems kinda cute.

I think it'd be best to wait till the final evolutions have been revealed.

Noah Ridgewood
May 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I find all three almost equally adorable, actually. Even so, the grass one is my favourite, it simply looks so... smug and confident, compared to the others. Here's to picking the grass one this generation as well!
I think that's one of the main reasons I like Tsutaaja so much. I think most of the other people are getting that impression as well. In most of the fanart I've seen, it's usually looking on from the rest of the Pokémon included as though it's superior to them. I think the last Pokémon that truly expressed superiority in anything was Charizard. I could be wrong, but... meh. It's interesting to see a Pokémon that genuinely looks as though it thinks it's better than anything. Granted it's just fan art, Tsutaaja just gives me a royal-like feeling. Especially with that cape-like collar behind it's neck.

I think the reason it's name is based on a snake isn't because of the fact that it looks like a snake (I personally don't see the resemblance) but because it's personality was meant to be like a snake. Even though all Pokémon, regardless if they're the same as one another, have different personalities, that's just my take on the name.

I'm really hoping that it becomes grass/dragon, though, like this (http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8589/28512142793354893415506.jpg) fanart represents... or even grass/flying. That would really be an interesting type mix. Even though it would be able to be destroyed by any ice-type move, it's something different and something that's commonly not thought of when it comes to possible type combination.

Yamikarasu
May 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
It really is going to depend on the final evolution for me, although I definitely hope the Grass starter will turn into a Dragon-like Pokemon (It doesn't necessarily need to be a Dragon type, it could be part Flying, like Charizard). The Fire starter is obviously going to turn into a bigger pig, I can't think of anything else that would make sense. I think it would be cool if the Water Starter turns into a polar bear. If it did I might decide to choose it.

BeachBoy
May 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/i/2010/135/4/7/Theories_on_Pokabu_by_BrokenTeapot.jpgOh my god I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thank you for posting that. hahahaha.

It really is going to depend on the final evolution for me, although I definitely hope the Grass starter will turn into a Dragon-like Pokemon (It doesn't necessarily need to be a Dragon type, it could be part Flying, like Charizard). The Fire starter is obviously going to turn into a bigger pig, I can't think of anything else that would make sense. I think it would be cool if the Water Starter turns into a polar bear. If it did I might decide to choose it.I'm going to pick based on the final evolution as well. And yeah, it does feel like Tsutaaja will go dragon, or perhaps dinosaur (as digi-kun and I speculate). No idea what the water-type will evolve into, but I'm hoping it evolves into something amazing, just to shut up all the people. XD Magikarp 2.0 as I've said.

NatureKeeper
May 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
[css-div="padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px; border-color: red blue; border-style:solid; background-color: #000000"]Tsutaaja is my favorite, since, well, I hate that otter-like creature, and a flame pig? Like, eww![/css-div]

Noah Ridgewood
May 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Oh my god I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thank you for posting that. hahahaha.

I'm going to pick based on the final evolution as well. And yeah, it does feel like Tsutaaja will go dragon, or perhaps dinosaur (as digi-kun and I speculate). No idea what the water-type will evolve into, but I'm hoping it evolves into something amazing, just to shut up all the people. XD Magikarp 2.0 as I've said.
Based on the colors, I think that Pokabu is going to become a Fire and Ground type come evolution time. Mijamaru seems to be something that could very well become Water and Rock, Water and Ice, or just simply Water alone. But since something that the basic starters seem to do often is become dual types, I think it'll be very unlikely that it'll remain just water. But I don't see why everyone thinks that it'll be weak alone. Based on what I've seen in the battle video, it seems to have a strong special attack. Then again, it was fighting Pokabu at an even level...

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I've made my descision, I looked at Tsutaaja and realized that this was the guy I was going to pick before the starters where even revealed. At first I thought he was a Grass Duck. I saw him the day they were released and I liked him, but then I figured out everyone was going to pick him, so I decided to go for Mijumaru, But now I notice that Pokemon aren't about how popular they are, Pokemon is about the ones you like, and if you like them, so be it, make them yours. That is the beauty of Pokemon, you can catch 'em all, or you can catch a few, but no matter what, it's what you are feeling that matters the most.

Zeph.
May 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I've made my descision, I looked at Tsutaaja and realized that this was the guy I was going to pick before the starters where even revealed. At first I thought he was a Grass Duck. I saw him the day they were released and I liked him, but then I figured out everyone was going to pick him, so I decided to go for Mijumaru, But now I notice that Pokemon aren't about how popular they are, Pokemon is about the ones you like, and if you like them, so be it, make them yours. That is the beauty of Pokemon, you can catch 'em all, or you can catch a few, but no matter what, it's what you are feeling that matters the most.

Poetry in motion. You are my favourite person of the day :D

That's why I'm picking Pokabu.

Hantsuki
May 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
If I were to play this game (which I probably won't because I don't have a DS), I would finally pick the grass Pokemon Tsutaaja. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the first generation grass types: Bulbasaur and Chikorita, but I always liked the other starters more than them. The third and fourth generation: Treecko and Turtwig did not appeal to me at all, however.

When I first saw these fifth generation starters, I was honestly appalled. The grass Pokemon looked like a Treecko/Cyndaquil rip-off, the fire Pokemon looked like an overly perky pig made with rejected stuffed animal parts, and the water Pokemon looked deprived, but I've started taken a liking to the grass one more now. I just hope it evolves into some evil looking serpent or something. I would be satisfied with that.

Angelroid
May 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I think my starter is going to be Pokabu.

But, I like all the starters. So, It's hard to pick one. :surprised:

Sosuke Aizen
May 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
All of them are cool; but Mijumaru is my favorite. =P

Agent Clank
May 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Well The water one's second form is cool
I am not liking the 3rd one.
Pokabu's Forms are Full of Awesomeness.
None of Grass ones are That Great.

Ayselipera
May 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
So far Tsutaaja stands out the most to me. It is a little Treecko like, but I loved Treecko so I'm hoping I'll end up loving Tsutaaja too. Recently though Mijumaru has also been growing on me. Something about it is so cute and endearing. Plus I have a feeling it might evolve into a pretty good Pokemon.

I'm sad to say that once again I'm not too fond of the fire starter. I was hoping after the disappointment that was Chimchar the new fire starter would bring back my old memories of what fire starters used to be. So far Pokabu hasn't done that for me yet, but I'm not throwing it to the curb so suddenly. We've only just seen the starters and I have high hopes that their final evolutions will make up for their basic form.

Zeph.
May 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
*Is speachless* Theese pokemon *dramtic pause* look gay.

How can they look 'gay'? Explain.

Bear in mind these are only the first forms. We still have to wait and see their evolutions ;)

JAK3
May 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
*Is speachless* Theese pokemon *dramtic pause* look gay.
I don't understand how a Pokemon can look "gay". They can look foolish, or strange, but not "Gay" because that is not really a way to describe something, but I think they all look great. Also, what about Tsutaaja, does anyone see a Snake? I can kind of, seeing as he has a sort of "S" shape, but the fact that he has arms and feet, is kind of not snake-like, but I read somewhere that snake's do have small feet that help them push themselves forward.

Raichupacabra
May 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
i personally love pokabu he is awesome
hes probly gonna have steam coming outta his nose in his final evo.
and some flaming tusks

shiny insanamon
May 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM
i love the grass dude

i hate that sea otter thing cause it looks ssooooooooo weird

GlitchCity
May 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Tsutaaja for the win! It reminds me of my hoenn days. I hope it turns into a grass/dragon type, or it could just be a grass type with some dragon characteristics.

Caelus
May 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I like all three of them, but I especially like the fire pig the most. Just seems so cute, and I'm usually a water type person.

I'll just have to wait for their final evolution before making a final decision.

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I actually don't want tsutaaja to become a dragon-type. There are enough dragon-types with a 4x weakness to ice as it is, plus neutralizing his fire weakness seems too unconventional for a starter. oh right, Empoleon did it before. XD

Pikataro
May 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I want Mijimaru, it's so cute and it's a Water type!

Sweet Smoochum
May 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Gasp! The fifth gen starters look so different from the ones before....0.0

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/KartWheelyGirl/Pokemonthroughoutthegens.png

Mijumaru is absolutely adorable. (I saw tons of fanart of it on deviantart earlier and had to favorite a lot of them. The sea otter is so sweet!) All the fifth gen starters are cute. =3 (especially, Mijumaru.)

Timbjerr
May 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Gasp! The fifth gen starters look so different from the ones before....0.0

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/KartWheelyGirl/Pokemonthroughoutthegens.png

That's because you're comparing B/W sprites to HGSS sprites. Because of the new animations, they're built differently. I guarantee they won't stand out as much once we have B/W sprites for the other twelve. ;D

Rei Shingetsu
May 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Seriously after looking at the 3 again and again I've no dislike against any of them now, though Tsutaja is still my choice. :)

Miss Dreavus
May 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
My boyfriend isn't really liking Pokabu and loves Mijumaru and Tsutaja but I feel the other way around. My favorite is definately Mijumaru and Pokabu. I'm not really impressed with Tsutaja as a snake starter. It looks too much like Treeko.

Vrai
May 16th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I really only liked Tsujata from the start, partially because it's the smug one, ya know? But... the other two have grown on me. I really like Pokabu's sprite because it's pretty damn cute, and Mijumaru... while still awkward, is making a better impression after seeing it in battle. I dunno what I'll pick, now. 0:

Redrup
May 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Tsutaaja without a doubt is the one I will be choosing. I've decided early so I don't start changing my mind when evolution concepts begin springing up more frequently.

So far, I chose Water in Generation I, Fire in Generation II, Leaf in Generation III and I went with Fire again in Generation IV. So by that logic, I had to pick from leaf or water this time around. Tsutaaja it is. :)

SIN1488
May 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
To be honest, I think the water and fire starters look stupid. :|

The green snake/lizard (lol) guy looks awesome though. Depending on what his full evo looks like, I think I will name him Trogdor!!!!!!!!!! :D

Redrup
May 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I agree that the fire starter looks a bit ridiculous. The water starter however seems to be so similar to Piplup that I'm questioning how much time they actually put into the design.

Eternal Nightmare
May 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Out the three I'd say Tsutaaja is the best looking one. I like Pokabu as well, due to it being a fire type, but Tsutaaja takes the cake. I will be starting of with my Bacon because fire types are my favorite and I have a tradition to continue ;).

Oh...my...god. If Tsutaaja actually turns out to be the awesomeness in this fan art me and Pokabu are over. No, wait what am I saying. I bet Pokabus evo stages are just as awesome as this fan arts. I'm just so anxious to see all there evo stages. I just hope Pokabu isn't a kung fu pig >.<.

Redrup
May 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I think Game Freak would do well to take note of that particular fan art.

It really is very well designed. It doesn't steer too far from the base Pokémon, yet grows into something awesome.

Of course, if something like that turned out to be Tsutaaja's evolution chain, then it'd definitely end up dual-type Grass/Dragon.

Esper
May 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM
That Tsutaaja fanart... it's not going to look that that and I wouldn't want it to. I want them to evolve into something that looks different, not just a bigger version with a few things tacked on.

I wanted the grass starter to be my favorite, but I can't say it is. Pokabu and Mijumaru are tied in my mind for how cute they are and how much fun I think I'd have. I didn't care for Mijumaru when I first saw it because I didn't know what it was, but since finding out it's an otter I'm seeing it as such and I like it a lot more.

Redrup
May 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
That Tsutaaja fanart... it's not going to look that that and I wouldn't want it to. I want them to evolve into something that looks different, not just a bigger version with a few things tacked on.

I'm actually the complete opposite to you in respect to evolution chains then.

My favourite evolved forms are those where they have expanded upon the original versions, but not steered in a completely different direction.

Arcanine and Houndoom spring to mind. Very similar to their base forms, yet two of my favourites.

Scyther > Scizor, for example, is something I was not fond of at the time.

AvianAzure
May 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Pokabu won me with his cuteness. And even more since his name is derived from 'buta' and I'm a Gurren Lagann fan boy (Boota the pig mole being the reference here).

Tsutarja has the aura of "i'm better then you and i know it" about him that somewhat turns me off.

Mijumaru at first i thought was horrendously ugly. But he's grown on me and he's cute. xD Still my least favorite of the three though sadly

Rei Shingetsu
May 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I agree that the fire starter looks a bit ridiculous. The water starter however seems to be so similar to Piplup that I'm questioning how much time they actually put into the design.

True.
When it first came out, I was eh, a pig? No thanks.
And water one seems to be a clown to me.

I've always loved Tsutaja right from the start - And still is my most favourite.

But now it's Grass > Water > Fire.

Azary3172
May 17th, 2010, 01:27 AM
For me is doesn't matter which one choose just likes previous version of Pokemon. At very important is battle the GYM 1 which always rock type at all regions except Johto which you will battle the GYM at flying type.

empty streets
May 17th, 2010, 01:33 AM
The ugliest water starter I've EVEN seen o___O

The other two look pretty neutral. I'll pick the lizard.

Emilio~
May 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Tsataaja looks the best, but I must see the their evos before I can make a decision. Because really, the final evo is the one that sticks with you the most, since it evolves at level 30-36 and has the same form all the way up to level 100.
I usually pick the starter that can hit fast and hard, but I might do it a bit differently with B/W since I'm getting tired of this routine...

A Pixy
May 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Tsutaaja - Cool. Nonchalant. Reminds me of Treecko. Definitely picking this one. Liked Treecko a lot. /points to original name

Pokabu - I can see this evolving into something fierce, but it looks kinda silly to me.

Mijumaru - Dx

dead-man-walking
May 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Hell yeah. Lets get this on hand.
Tsutaaja: The only one who attracted me on the first sight. <3
Pokabu: If it's evolving into a Steel-Clad Pigman, then awesomeness is knocking on your door
Mijumaru: Don't really like it.

Porygon Z
May 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I think I will choose Pokabu.

Cherrim
May 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM
The only one I like is the grass starter, but I won't choose it because I hate doubling up on types and Cherrim is the only grass type for me. n_n So unfortunately, it's out.

As for the fire type, I think it'll be the one I choose merely by process of elimination (I'll get to water after this). It's cute but it doesn't quite click with me. Still, I did kind of have a predisposition to fire since I tend to choose fire types on the odd-numbered gens and water on the even. So I guess I get to continue that pattern but honestly, I won't be surprised at all if I ditch for a different fire type, depending on what's available. D:

And the water type... ugh. Its design needs to be way simpler or else the other starters need to match it in complexity. There's just too much going on with it. It looks like a cross between Piplup, Bidoof, Pachirisu, and Marshtomp. :| It just weirds me out. It barely feels like a Pokémon to me, let alone a starter. Maybe it'll grow on me but for now I just really, really dislike it.

._. To be honest, I think this is the most disappointing set of starters yet. I'm hoping their evolutions pique my interest because otherwise this is the very first time I've really had no preference.

Lunamewtwo
May 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I hardly ever go with the fire starter, for my first playthrough I ALWAYS choose the water so I'm going with Mijumaru. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us:D

Porygon-Z
May 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I just relalised that the thing on Mijumaru's chest is supposed to be a sea-shell!

Did anyone else not get this straight away?

Either way I don't think it looks that good... :s

Sammuthegreat
May 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I definitely like Pokabu most. He's very cute indeed, and besides I always choose Fire. Tsutaja is ok I guess, a bit similar to Grovyle though as people have said. And Mijumaru is cute, but a bit overcomplicated - particularly with the shell, and the neck pattern, and the fact that he has too many different colours.

Obviously I can't tell for sure before I see final evolutions, but I'd rate their basic forms as follows:

Tsutaja: 6/10
Pokabu: 8/10
Mijumaru: 6/10

I think on the whole the Hoenn starters were the weakest. I also think the Fire starters have got weaker with every new generation, but it looks at the moment that Generation V will stop this trend.

JAK3
May 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I looked at all the starters from Generation 1-5 and for some reason the new ones stand out from the rest. They just seem to have more detail then the others, and I think that's what makes them special.
Edit: Thanks for the Poll, Patchisou!

Noah Ridgewood
May 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Added a poll to the thread for people to choose which starter they're choosing!

NeonMewtwo
May 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I'm going for Tsutaja, because it's been a while since I've started with a Grass-type Pokemon.

kieeeranz
May 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
i love pokabu + the grass starter , but the water one is a little wierd , i hope its other stages are better <3

Glacianus
May 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
My sinature says it all ^_^....god what happened to water pokemon holy crap

JAK3
May 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised, people started with Tsutaaja, but as time went by, people started to like Pokabu the most, this, however, does not change my feeling about Tsutaaja, but i'm happy that people are picking Pokabu, because it was seeming like he was getting the least amount of love, even less then Mijumaru.

TrilbyMenetti
May 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The grass one. It looks flamboyant and rather smug and that kind of attracts me to it. It gets my vote.

The fire one just made me cringe slightly. I've wanted to start off with a fire starter for once (not counting FireRed) and not either of the other two types, but I just don't like the design.

And as for the water one, I don't particularly like it either, but it's better than the fire one.

umbreon_4_life
May 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I sooo call Tsutaaja! I think it's the cutest one! And besides, I've barely ever chosen the grass type. I like Pokabu, almost as much, but I still think Tsutaaja is the best! And as for Mijumaru... Eh, I don't really like it. =( No offense to those who do.

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
It's an otter? I thought it was a bear... I also thought the snake was a dinosaur. The pig is the only thing I got right...

Besides Bulbasaur, all of the grass starters were regular animals until their last stage. At their last stage they were Dinosaurs.

It all comes down to what they evolve into, their moves and their typing. Based solely off of looks I am going to be using Pokabu!

Kenaku
May 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Mijumaru, because I haven't liked a water starter yet!

big NATE alpha
May 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Gotta go with Tsutaaja, it definitely looks the best, and (except for Chikorita, horrible starter choice and just not as appealing to me overall) have always been partial to grass. I think Mijumaru should probably be a water/ice type... and Pokabu is cute, but it doesn't seem to fit to me... it's not like the other fire starters, I actually think it would have done better as grass. Plus, the fanart of Tsutaaja's line is just epic win :D! Grass/Dragon type, anyone? I sure hope that's how Nintendo goes with it...

MistahDude
May 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM
So far I have heard Smugleaf for Tsutaaja and Wotter for Mijumaru.

Apparently Poku means warmth and Bu is the sound a pig makes in Japan. So something along the lines of a synonym for warm plus a synonym for oink.

God
May 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
So far I have heard Smugleaf for Tsutaaja

Bahahhaah, that is the most fitting name.

Though I hope they come up with better names, I'd re-name every starter I got if those were the names.

Reflux
May 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Gen 5 starters are just something the creators sneezed out. they fail. I will be dumping them as soon as i get second poke in game >_>

Markus_of_Hoenn
May 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Tsutaaja without a doubt. The new starters, at first, I thought were the worst yet. But now that I started considering them, I think they're the second best gen of starters. (Hoenn claims first, all of their starters were amazing, especially Treeko ^^) So I'll remain loyal to my passion for Grass-Type. I'm excited to see their evolutionary froms. Whoever made that fan art os Tsutaaja evolving into that Grass/Dragon-Type Is amazing! I've wanted a Grass/Drangon-Type for so long and that just looks amazing.

Conor
May 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Tsutaja!
Definately my favourite lookin' Grass type starter ;D
I 'kind of' liked Treecko but Tsutaja is far better!
The other two are pretty lame but so are most starters.
Chimchar/Infernape is still my favourite starter of all time, for now!

Anuhrima
May 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Gen 5 starters are just something the creators sneezed out. they fail. I will be dumping them as soon as i get second poke in game >_>
>_> If you don't have something nice or even appropriate to the conversation, don't say it at all. These are a nice set of starters.

I'm picking Pokabu cause I've always chosen fire types. ALWAYS. And because he appeals to me the most. I just love his happy go lucky attitude the picture portrays. Can't wait to see his evo's.

Sweet Smoochum
May 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Personally, I love all the starters for Black and White. The blue one is a favorite of mine. I seem to love Pokemon or trainers that others don't really appreciate as much. For example, a lot of people disliked Lyra, whereas I thought she was adorable. I knew the anime would make her more lovely than her artwork for HeartGold and SoulSilver. Many fans did a fantastic job drawing her. Even though people didn't like her artwork, her in-game battle sprite looked very nice. Same goes for Mijumaru. His sprite is adorable. The shades of blue they used on him look lovely. I love the shell on his belly. I know he's a sea otter, but he reminds me of a puppy, too.

My decision of which one I'll chose depends on how the evolutions of the Pokemon look, and their movesets. Also, knowing what other Pokemon are included this gen influences my decision making as well. If I like another Water type more than Mijumaru, I may choose Tsutaaja or Pokebu instead. I usually choose my team based on how much I like the appearance of the Pokemon in the game or by how useful they are to me.

DXrobots
May 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I like the Fire pig that is all I can see it turning into like a badass fire boar or like this:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/d/da/DarkBeastGanon_TP.png/225px-DarkBeastGanon_TP.png

but with fire everywhere

metapod23
May 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Well, this is a thread idea I had to just have some fun. So far we know of 11 Pokemon in Black & White: Tsutarja and its two evolutions, Pokabu and its two evolutions, Mijumaru and its two evolutions, and Zorua and its evolution, Zoroark.

So as the new Pokemon are revealed, we can start guessing what their American names might be, just for the fun of it. Well, I like the idea of getting my creative juices flowing and doing it, anyway. :)

I was thinking for Pokabu's second evolution maybe: Pigerupt (though that might be too close to Camerupt). That wouldn't be a good first or final form name, imo. Maybe for a first form name: Pyrig or Pyriglet (pyre + pig/piglet).

Go ahead and throw out your best guesses for the American names of any newly revealed 5th Gen Pokemon. :)

Demigod
May 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I can't believe what pokemon is heading to. If it wasn't for the money they shoul have stop at generation 3. even tough this gen looks a bit better then gen 4.

The grass type is the only one decent.

Ivysaur
May 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Sadly, Bloothump already posted this thread.

So use his, please: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=218913

Zeph.
May 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I have a strange feeling that Tsutaja's final stage will be dual type Grass/Fighting.

.EJ
May 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Mijumaru looks so adorable haha. I'd pick the grass type but as I've said somewhere before, he looks like treecko and flygon mixed together. The fire type starter looks decent but I almost never start with the fire type unless he is a monkey.

I gotta say that when I first saw them I wasn't too impressed but now for some reason they grew on me. I'm even more pumped to use these guys xD

Charizard632
May 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Mijumaru reminds me of Piplup. In fact, he is closely related to Piplup. I would pick Pokabu, because I believe its stats will be great for its final evolved form.

Xebelleon
May 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I'll be starting with DerpDerp A.K.A. Wotter A.K.A. that water one.

Pignition if I get the other version. Trade request the Grass one.

BleuVII
May 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru... the three starting pokemon for Pokemon Black and White. Well, at least, that is what their Japanese names are. They will likely have different names when they come out in English-speaking countries. So I thought it'd be fun to put on the translator's hat and have a go at what some good English names will be.

Note to the mods: I didn't know whether this would be better in the Black/White forums or the Trivia forums. I chose Black/White because it is game-specific, but I understand if you move it.

First, take a look at what's been done historically. Fushigidane (strange seed) became Bulbasaur (lizard with a bulb), which is a completely different name. Hitokage (fire lizard) on the other hand became Charmander (fire "lizard"), so the name was essentially translated. Others like Hinaorashi (Cyndaquil) keep the same basic idea, but change it to make it sound good.

So, here is our new starting trio (all images and information taken from Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page)):
===================================================
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/d/de/494Tsutarja.png/180px-494Tsutarja.png

Tsutarja - The Grass Snake Pokémon
Origin: Tsutarja may be based off of a lizard or a snake. Its shared traits with both make it similar to skinks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/skink).
Name Origin: Tsutarja's name is possibly derived from 蔦 tsuta, ivy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ivy), and 蛇 ja, snake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/snake).

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/0a/497Pokabu.png/190px-497Pokabu.png
Pokabu - The Fire Pig Pokemon
Origin: It appears to be based on a saddleback pig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddleback_%28pig%29).
Name Origin: Pokabu is derived from ぽかぽか pokapoka, warmth circulating through one's body, combined with 豚 buta, pig.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/8/87/500Mijumaru.png/180px-500Mijumaru.png
Mijumaru - The Sea Otter Pokémon
Origin: It appears to be based on a sea otter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sea_otter).
Name Origin: May be derived from 水 mizu, water and 丸 maru, round.
===================================================

So let's hear some ideas! I look forward to hearing creativity.

Please no sarcastic joke posts like
Tsutarja - Mudkip
Pokabu - Mudkip
Mijumaru - Mudkip LOLZ

Mason69
May 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I always pick the fire starters so i think in this one i will go with the grass one.

Redrup
May 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Tsutaja - GreenLizard
Pokabu - BrownPig
Mijumaru - BlueDwarvenClown or ???

I actually have no idea what they are likely to call them.

Judging by their past naming conventions for the starter Pokémon, they'll combine a verb or adjective with a noun and do their best to make it sound logical.

BleuVII
May 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
So, I just read the "Starter Discussion" thread and noticed that threads like this have popped up and been merged with that one. Sorry, didn't know that when I made this thread (only read first and last page), but I think they are substantially different enough to be separate threads.

MokG
May 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I really hate the water starter i think its very odd and i don't like its dimples and its plain bald head. tHE FIRE STARTER ISNT THT BAD BECAUSE HE'S NOT WEIRD JUST THE FACT THAT HE LOOKS LIKE GRUMPIG. THE GRASS STARTER IS REAL COOL AND HE LOOKS A LOT LIKE TREEKO WHICH I LIKE A LOT (ESPEACIALLY SCEPTILE) WHAT MAKES HIM DIFFERENT IS THAT I THINK HE FITS IN THE MOST WITH THE OLDER POKEMON AND HE'S COOL WITH THOSE EYES.

Ausaudriel
May 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Merged the dub starter name thread into the existing starter discussion thread.

NER:D
May 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Mijumaru. It's adorable, and it looks so sad lol.

Charizard3
May 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
well, since my brother isnt gettin te new games when they come out in the us, i have no second game to get all three starters in whereas in heart gold, i got all 3. I asked my friend, and he said that he wanted to do some trading with me to get all 3 black and white starters, but, if all else fails, pokabu here i come.

pokemongarnet
May 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I only chose mijamaru cuz its the underdog and im hoping it has an awesome evo.

assasinn
May 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Pokabu is a pig, and a fire type, is will fry itself (just like torchic did) I'm choosing the grass type mijumaru, which is probably going to evolve into a tree-thing, or maybe some sceptile-like evolution, and it becomes this cool A-word ninja.

~Platina's Jason~
May 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Tsutaaja > Mijimaru =Pokabu.

So basically I started out liking Pokabu the best and hating Mijimaru the most. After seeing quite a few good peices f fanart for Tsutaaja though, I've come to like him the most and put Mijimaru and Pokabu on equal levels of hatred. *Nod.*

Butterfree-Charizard
May 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I really like these starters, there all cool but I have to go with Mijumaru.

vobgro
May 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
OMG, Po-ka-bu sound so adorable!

PiPVoda
May 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I can't believe what pokemon is heading to. If it wasn't for the money they shoul have stop at generation 3. even tough this gen looks a bit better then gen 4.

The grass type is the only one decent.
I don't agree with you. Despite my mad love for gen 3 stopping there would have been a very dumb decision, from a business and logical perspective. If anything, Gen 5 should be the one they stop at, or at least increase the waiting period for new Gens. Perhaps the word Gen should be revamped. Do we need new pokemon in each new gen? Maybe there will be a day when we don't. Pokemon isn't stopping anytime soon. It's one of Nintendo's top money makers and they won't let it die out that fast. Besides, to come to their defense there are only 493 pokemon and over 2 million species alive on this planet (many left undiscovered). If you didn't mind seeing totally new pokes that resembled an animal you had no clue of then pkmn could go on for a long time.

Second, Tsutaja is alright, but I'd hardly rank it above Pokabu and Mijumaru. IMHO it's the ugliest of the bunch.
-----------------

I'll probably end up buying both black and white (black first) and starting off with Mijumaru in black and Pokabu in white..If they do a 3rd installment I'll choose Tsutaja (well it might be in 2nd if Pokabu's evos are hideous).

I really hate the water starter i think its very odd and i don't like its dimples and its plain bald head. tHE FIRE STARTER ISNT THT BAD BECAUSE HE'S NOT WEIRD JUST THE FACT THAT HE LOOKS LIKE GRUMPIG. THE GRASS STARTER IS REAL COOL AND HE LOOKS A LOT LIKE TREEKO WHICH I LIKE A LOT (ESPEACIALLY SCEPTILE) WHAT MAKES HIM DIFFERENT IS THAT I THINK HE FITS IN THE MOST WITH THE OLDER POKEMON AND HE'S COOL WITH THOSE EYES.

1) Mijumaru is a sea otter. His dimples and everyting to him are there to make him appear more like one. If it didn't have them then it would look like a clown xD. Why the hate for the water type? They've always been good starters to choose. And it's not bald. If Mijumaru is bald then what are the rest of the starters? The only ones that I can think of that definitely have hair are torchic and chimchar (since both are hairy). Other than them the rest of the starters are...'bald.' Maybe Mijumaru will get hairier when it evovles into a full-grown sea otter.

2) Yeah I thought Grumpig at first too, but Pokabu is cute and will more than likely turn into a beastly evo.

3) Tsutaja fits in with the other 12 starters yet the other two don't? Are you high or some m'? All of them fit in imo, they're not suppose to resemble the others really they're suppose to stand out. The eyes are the coolest part of Tsutaja it's the body that I can't stand.

A Pixy
May 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM
/looks at votes

It appears Mijumaru isn't as despised as I once conceived.

Poor Pokabu.

And Tsutaaja is still awesome sauce, JS.

Chocos0
May 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
That water type an insult to water starters! My favourite type!

Well, not really... Just it's face looks... Weird..
I would pick the Grass type for the 5th Generation, like I did for the 4th Generation.
I've always picked the fire or water type in most regions. Until I looked at those 2, they look bad.
But the grass one, honestly looks mature enough to be picked as a starter.

Ashe~
May 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I really like the Water type. It just screams hug me.

StrickeN
May 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Personally for Me I like all the designs.

I don't understand the utter hatred of the Sea Otter.

I think the little Otter looks cool and will probably have a cool evo chain. I mean hell, Piplup has always to me looked the most stupid but his final evo was awesome.

Pikabu looks pretty cool as well. I mean his picture is a little weird but hell they are digitalized animals given aspects of elements, so they all look weird to some. but I think I'll pick the Snake first and see how it goes.

Hell, I'll probably restart after completion several times before I choose a solid favorite. but for now, snake plz.

and I know I didn't type their names, I just don't feel like typing out the weird names on this keyboard that barely works :)

loliwin
May 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm definitely going with the sea otter, Mijumaru. I'm in absolute love with its design. And when it goes into its final evolution, I feel like it is going to turn into this completely massive beast that will wreak insane havoc. Maybe it can be more powerful than Arceus loolll.

Tsutaja looks fine, but I'm not really fond of grass starters. The pig looks fine as well, but i've always gone with the fire starter in the past games. :(

Sammuthegreat
May 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM
/looks at votes

It appears Mijumaru isn't as despised as I once conceived.

Poor Pokabu.

And Tsutaaja is still awesome sauce, JS.

Indeed. Tsutaja is riding on the crest of a wave of "OMG LOL SNAKEZ R BADAZZ", and Mijumaru is getting a lot of sympathy votes following the initial hate from those who don't understand that cute and cool aren't independent of one another.

Pokabu is the archetypal middle child, and is being ignored.

StarryLatiasGirl
May 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Um... sorry to interrupt, but where did you find this?

This is from my deviantART account (I'm Delthero over there), and if you found it there, I would have much rather that you gave permission for it, rather than just posting it here. If you found it somewhere else, please tell me where, because that person posted it without my permission, and likely gave the credit to themselves.

Want proof? Here's the original deviation I posted- http://delthero.deviantart.com/#/d2pq0m7

Sorry to butt in like this, I just really don't like my artwork being stolen. Thanks again. ^^

~Starry

Swift!
May 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I'm definitely going to be starting with Pokabu. I have always picked the Fire-type starter during my first playthrough of past games and I'm not going to stop now. Besides, it doesn't hurt that Pokabu is absolutely adorable as well. :3

Kon~
May 20th, 2010, 07:35 AM
As much as I want to get Mijumaju (did I spell that right?) because it's an otter (which I love), I am definintely going to get Pokabu.

You know why?

He reminds me of Gu-chan from Full Moon wo Sagashite. If I do not call myself Madoka and choose Gu-chan, I will be missing a great oppurtunity for that fandom.

Yeah. I'm gonna own a pet pig! :D:D:D:D

Arma
May 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Um... sorry to interrupt, but where did you find this?

This is from my deviantART account (I'm Delthero over there), and if you found it there, I would have much rather that you gave permission for it, rather than just posting it here. If you found it somewhere else, please tell me where, because that person posted it without my permission, and likely gave the credit to themselves.

Want proof? Here's the original deviation I posted- http://delthero.deviantart.com/#/d2pq0m7

Sorry to butt in like this, I just really don't like my artwork being stolen. Thanks again. ^^

~Starry
You created that!? It looks awesome, nice job, seriously!

*ahem* Back on topic...
I really like all 3 of them, I think I'll get them all 3 by trading.

A Pixy
May 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Pokabu is the archetypal middle child, and is being ignored.

That is just plain horrible.

YOU SHOULD ALL FEEL ASHAMED! D:<

Sammuthegreat
May 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM
That is just plain horrible.

YOU SHOULD ALL FEEL ASHAMED! D:<

Indeed. I should also point out that Pokabu is my favourite of the new starters by a considerable distance, but I always start with all three...

Okami Chi
May 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Hah, I hate these types of threads, but I came here so surprised that it wasn't already created within the few minutes this forum was public.

So there are three starters, of course. All with the basic types: fire, grass, and water.

So, for the purpose of starting a discussion, what's your favorite starter available?

Tsutaaja (ツタージャ) is the Grass Snake Pokemon, its ability is Overgrow, it is 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 8.1 kg (17.9 lbs). "Tsuta" means "ivy" and "ja" is one way of saying the word "snake."
Pokabu (ポカブ) is the Fire Pig Pokemon, its ability is Blaze, it stands 0.6 m (2 ft) tall, and it weighs 9.9 kg (21.9 lbs). The name derives from "pokapoka," which means "warm" in Japanese, and "bu," the sound a pig makes in Japanese culture (here it's "oink").
Mijumaru (ミジュマル) is the Sea Otter Pokemon, its ability is Torrent, it is 0.5 m (1.6 ft) tall, and it weighs 5.9 kg (13 lbs). "Mijuku" means "immature" and "maru" means "round" or "ball."

I'm doing all three, well for now. I'll find out when they evolve. But for now, all of them.

-Okami

Alexeon
May 20th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Based on first evos, I'm leaning towards Tsutaaja, for obvious reasons. xD But the other starters are great, too, so it's hard to say. My biggest fear is that Tsutaaja's final form may end up looking horrible...

Though I'd love it if it did turn into a Dragon, like in that awesome concept sketch StarryLatiasGirl presented. x.x Just hoping the final evos don't disappoint me too greatly because I'm really looking forward to this gen~ (so pessimistic -_-)

raekuul
May 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Besides, to come to their defense there are only 493 pokemon and over 2 million species alive on this planet (many left undiscovered). If you didn't mind seeing totally new pokes that resembled an animal you had no clue of then pkmn could go on for a long time.

And wind up with two million gimmick-y bug types :p

Seriously, most of our unknown monsters are in Arthropoda, so it stands to reason that we'll end up with a flood of bug types at some point.

I would probably go with the Grass starter to make up for having never even touched Turtwig.

Name Ideas: Leavenom, Wotter (duh), and Baykin

XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE
May 20th, 2010, 01:25 PM
That is probably one of the best evolution chains I've ever seen. Even though it's fanart. It reminds me a lot of the Treecko evolution chain, which is one of the very few chains that capture nearly every single aspect of the original Pokémon and expand upon each aspect of it. I'm really hoping that Tsutaaja's evolution chain plays out something like this. That final evolution stage is just... omg. <3

I SERIOUSLY hope the grass starter will look like that - those pictures are amazing!!

I picked the grass type, because in all honesty it's the only design that I like.

Dragonika
May 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Pokabu <3 >http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0a/497Pokabu.png

SonicThrust
May 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I don't like any of the new starter designs. I guess the grass one is the least horrible one though.

I'll be starting with Pokabu because I pretty much always start with the fire starter and since I don't like any of them it doesn't really matter. I'll probably just box it.

Haza
May 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
These starters give me a great feeling of what is to come from the rest of the region...

Esmas
May 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Tsutarja is my favourite, like most others', but Pokabu is a close runner-up. I just haven't gotten used to Mijumaru's design, probably because I hate otters >__< Hopefully their evolutions are just as epic :D

MartinJF
May 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
They should give the starters a signature move:

Pokabu: Bacon slap
Tsutuja: Big mean eye
Mijumaru: Shell throw

DON3GAN
May 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Tsutarja and Pokabu look awesome imo.
I'm still not used to Mijumaru but hopefully that'll change.
When it comes down to choosing I'll pick Pokabu. :D

Dominus Temporis
May 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Well, I was already going to use the Fire-type no matter what... but although I like all three, I really just plain like Pokabu the most. I have high hopes for his final evolution. I'll use all three across the various versions, though.

(and I'll team that pig up with a Squirtle. Prepare for the greatest Pokebromance ever)

インフェルノの津波
May 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Well....I think Pokabu would more or less likely to be a wild hog/swine that's Fire/Steel, Mijumaru.....I don't know, Rock? Also, Tsutaja looks a lot like Dragon but will likely become Poison or Flying.

Kai Lee Reddtail
May 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I think I like Pokabu the best at present. Especially if he turns into a badass boar. I hope they do his line well. Too bad he's condemned to be a permanent bacon/ham/pork/etc. joke.

Tsutaaja comes in second for me. He's okay. I am irked by the fact that he's stated to be a "grass snake" while I clearly see the presence of limbs. That notwithstanding, I'd let it slide if he evolved into some kind of dragon similar to the one posted in that fan art earlier in the thread, or became more snake-like (ie lose the limbs.) The latter would make sense, since scientists believe that lizards evolved into snakes, and not vice versa.

Not much a fan of Mijumaru. Not hating on him, just saying he doesn't really appeal to me. At first I thought he was terrible. Some fan art has made me think he's a little bit cute. Maybe he'll grow on me more. We'll see.

I won't say which one I'll choose until I see the evolution lines though, because a pokemon cannot reach it's max battle potentional unless it's fully evolved. Which is an aspect of pokemon that has always kind of annoyed me. I don't always WANT to evolve my pokemon, but that kind of forces me to if I want them to be battle contenders. Oh well.

livelyhans
May 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hahaha..see..? i just vote Tsutaja.. and i luv it when Tsutaja's Voter are the most... evryone knows that Tsutaja is the best.. and about Mijumaru i don't like it's head... like an ice-cream poncho.... about Pokabu..? no comment..

lucy_goosey
May 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Actually I think I might choose Pokabu. I love fire starters and he's kind of grown on me :) That or Tsutaaja.

Astinus
May 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
When I first saw them, I leaned towards Pokabu. Even when they were just silhouettes, I like it the best, which is odd. Then when they were released, I was happy that my favorite silhouette was a Fire-type and was adorable with detail, because it meant that once again, I would be picking the Fire-type starter.

Then I saw that Mijumaru was described as "odd"-looking, that no one knew what it was supposed to be. And then I saw some fanart used as icons that made Mijumaru look better than the official art. Since I always tend to like those things that other people don't like, I started to like Mijumaru more.

Tsutarja's tail will always make me think it's related to Flygon. It has the same shape to it, and the fins. So maybe, as someone else said, it'll have dragon characteristics, since it really doesn't strike me as a snake yet.

To make my final say, I'm still holding out for the final evolutions, to see what they look like. Then I'll know for sure which one I like the most out of the three.

mystletainn
May 20th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Pokabu <3 >http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0a/497Pokabu.png

Please don't surprass the four word limit we have in place.

And I'm definitely going to start with all three because I love them all.

fenyx4
May 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
I prefer starting with all 3, but my main man will be Pokabu. Aside from Generation IV, I always go with the Fire-type starter in-game. I'm especially excited to see the evos in the games! :) (Also hoping that one of the evo names in English is Pignition...)

EDIT: Ugh...I wish people didn't bring up the Flygon reference when referring to Tsutaja... That just made its design seem less innovative... I also looked at the color scheme for Chikorita, which dampened the innovation even more... But don't get me wrong, all the Gen V starters are awesome, including Tsutaja! Maybe the evos will be enough to differentiate them so that their designs are more unique despite incorporating similar color schemes of other Pokemon...

I wonder how I'd feel if Flygon was made to be Tsutaja's evo instead of being Trapinch's...one of the reasons I like Flygon being situated in the Trapinch line is because its design is similar to Vibrava's, yet radically different from Trapinch's...

Sammuthegreat
May 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
I prefer starting with all 3, but my main man will be Pokabu. Aside from Generation IV, I always go with the Fire-type starter in-game. I'm especially excited to see the evos in the games! :) (Also hoping that one of the evo names in English is Pignition...)

Best English names for Pokabu's evolutionary family I've heard are Pignition, Emboar and Blazorback. How cool would that be.

Crobat
May 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
I for one despise the fire type starter. The fire-type starters have been able to stand on two legs....except for now. The grass type starter reminds me of Flygon/Sceptile so that's a plus. I like the idea of a sea otter pokemon and I'm glad he's a starter.

I hope the final evolutions are wicked.

what about cyndaquil? hes sometimes on 4 sometimes on 2, maybe its like that

Dracoslythe
May 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
I would like to see their evolutions before I can really say. But from what we already know, I think Tsutaaja is the most appealing, upon seeing him I'd have to say he really caught my eye.

Even the fan art evolutions for him look amazing.

linkinpark187
May 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
I never noticed, until recently, that I've got the bad habit of picking the Grass starter. Chances are, I'll go with Tsutaaja, but eventually I'll have all 3.

Xephyr
May 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Well so far the grass and fire starters both look awesome. I'll base my decision on who I pick on their final evolutions.

I don't see myself picking the otter though <_<

Hessian
May 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM

That actually looks epically amazing.

Unfortunately, in terms of Pokemon actually being useful... generation after generation, the Water starter has noticeably outclassed its fellows so it's likely I will go with the otter in Gen V ;o

knook
May 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM
I like the look of Pokabu so I'll be choosing him. I also hold out a lot of hope for what he could evolve into.

~Azure-
May 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Tsutaja. First time i'll ever use the grass starter just because of looks :P

baseballa34657
May 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
the grass and water one are o.k. but that pig one just plain is horrible i hate it. But i need 2 see evolutions before a decision

Yingxue
May 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
If I have to pick one, Tsutaja, but I'd like to have all three, of course~!

Rumi
May 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
I wasn't crazy about the starters at first, but I've come to like them. I've always loved the grass starters the most, so I'll probably choose Tsutaaja.

infernape85
May 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Definately Pokabu, Fire all the way for me!..... fire or dragon.... BACON! ...I GOT CHOCOLATE BUBBLE GUM!

TotoPacMan
May 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'll need to see the final evolutions, but I'm probably going with the grass starter. He's so Joe Cool, you know.
The fire one is a pig. It better turn into a giant boar with tusks that shoots fire out of it's eyes.
The water one is... wait it's an otter? I thought it was a snowman. >.<

but of course I'll have all three.

Saska_Kitocha
May 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Grass starter, most definitely the grass starter. I prefer the final evolutions to be a surprise.

Hybrid Theory
May 22nd, 2010, 04:10 AM
Pokabu because I think pigs are awesome. =p

Christopher
May 22nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
but of course I'll have all three.

you better hope they have a gts or you by both Black and white what kinda makes me mad is the lack of backwards capability how am I supposed to complete the dex if I can't trade from my Platinum or Soul Silver?

oh and I'll choose Tsutaaja

Esmas
May 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
you better hope they have a gts or you by both Black and white what kinda makes me mad is the lack of backwards capability how am I supposed to complete the dex if I can't trade from my Platinum or Soul Silver?

oh and I'll choose TsutaajaWhat? There is backwards compatibility. I think it'd be obvious, as it has been stated several times and it's on the same system, but meh.

Gulpin
May 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
My first thoughts when I first saw them were:
Tsutaja - Sly looking and cool
Pokabu - Cute and playfule
Mijumaru - Terribly ugly

However, as I got to looking and thinking about them, Mijumaru really started to grow on me. To me it seems like something that is so ugly it's cute (like a manatee). Looking at them, I've started to like all three without really having a distinct favorite. So for now I won't know which I like best untill they release their evolutions.

tvoza2
May 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Tsutaja is my choice unless one of the others 3rd form wows me

TyranitarKing
May 22nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
I would pick Tsutaaja becuz it reminds meh of Treeko! :D

Totaldile
May 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Tsutaaja on one version.
I love the fanart for him.

I'm debating between Miju and Poka.
Miju looks really cute and adorable, but he seems like a pachirisu kinda pokemon to me.

Poka, I hate pigs, and I hate his animation, but he looks very stron g and I looooove fire types.
I'll have to see their evos.

cystar
May 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Tsutaaja and Miju im def geting im not getting poka for a first i hate the fire starter love the grass and water starters

Pokestick, good times.
May 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Looking at it now, I'll probably choose the Grass-typed Cyndaquil/Treecko fusion, Tsutaja/Tsutaaja.

But I'll have more looks to evolutions, attacks and Gyms before making my real choice.

Arcelio
May 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
I for one, think it is made of win and awesome.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/136/b/1/Smugleaf_and_Treecko_by_JoshR691.gif

Discuss the God that is Smugleaf, and his (hopefully) evolution into Smugdragon.

blaze_the_cat
May 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
I dislike the name. Smugleaf doesnt sound like it had much effort put in it.

Arcelio
May 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM

Well, there's also Smugrin and Smugrass.

███
May 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
he look cool :cool: but he acts somewhat like treeko :/

Timbjerr
May 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I seriously hope that it won't gain a dragon typing upon evolution. After bad experiences with Torterra, I'd prefer my grass starters to not be 4x weak to Ice...

Also, the name "Smugleaf" is too overused imo. I'd much prefer something like Hisseed or seemander.

Rei Shingetsu
May 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
I want a Grass/Dragon. *Stares*
And he's awesomenessly AWESOME~!
And, I dislike the name Smugleaf, let's leave it as Tsutaja, till then ^^;;

.EJ
May 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Isn't Tsutaja an unconfirmed name? Essentially any name is appropiate right now.

Aureol
May 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I don't like Smugleaf mostly because I learned it's becoming a forced meme. I hate memes that aren't good enough to spawn on their own.

As for the Pokemon itself, it's the best of the starters, doesn't look half-bad, but I hope it doesn't gain Dragon typing.

Flex_S
May 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM

It's not the Official name, it's just the name some people are calling it.

Logiedan
May 23rd, 2010, 01:29 AM
It's a tough choice between Mijumaru and Tsutaaja but I think i'll go with the snake,it's funny,I never chosen grass starters before because I don't usually like grass.

dooxer
May 23rd, 2010, 06:01 AM
i never got a trecko, which upsets me.
i want another go with this gen's grass! go grass reptile things!!

Zeph.
May 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Well, there's also Smugrin and Smugrass.

Oh god no. Those names are awful.

Back on topic though, I love Tsutaja's design. It'll be interesting to see what he evolves into :)

Kanto_Johto
May 23rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
*looks at Grass type* Meh, alright I guess.

*looks at Fre type* Wow, pretty good actually.

*looks at Water type* Wat. The. ****??

That water type is officially the worst looking starter I have ever seen in my entire life. How the hell do you go from the awesomeness of Squirtle, the coolness of Totodile, the okayness of Mudkip and the decency of Piplup, to this complete garbage?

The other two are okay though.

Edit: Actually, it depends on the final evolution for me. The fire type could end up being some fat slimy turd pig, and the water type could end up being an awesome Walrus thingy.

Just saw that fanart thing for the grass type. If the evolution chain is as good as that, I'll start off with that one, absolutely no doubt about it. A grass Dragon would be win. The only stupid thing about that is that fire type attacks will only be normal effective. They let you start off with grass, water and fire for a reason.

XxBr0keNxX
May 23rd, 2010, 06:51 AM
Pokabu looks kinda cool. I really hope it turns out as a fire/dark Pokemon! But Mijumaru looks kinda cool, too... And since it looks like an otter that makes it even cooler... But I'll choose Pokabu 'cause he's cute and plus the fact he might be a fire/dark. He'll 'prolly end up fire/ground, though...

Davav
May 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I a'm gonna choose Tsutaaja because it's head looks like that one from cydaquil and
I love jotho starters!

Just........FANTASTIC!

Infernaped!
May 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
I think for the first time in almost all of the games I've played I'll be going witht he grass pokemon (Tsutarja) on this one.. snakes are pretty awesome anyway..

Fiery Dash
May 23rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
I'm gonna get all three of them [=
that's what I do since Gen I--getting all starters.
I love the Grass starter, she looks seductive, lovin' those eyes!! xD
The Fire one is okay, but when I first see the Water starter.. I was like WT*!? :(
Hopefully they'll all look awesome and strong when they evolve...

Cyberglass
May 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Why doesn't anyone like Mijumaru? Out of the three, I thought it was the best designed, and I don't see why people don't recognize it as an otter. Pokabu is okay, and I like the design of Tsutaaja, but if I didn't read it was supposed to be a snake I wouldn't have guessed it. I have noticed that as the generations progress, the starters have focused more and more on cuteness as a design feature, but as long as the evos still look strong I won't mind it that much.

vietazn654
May 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Mijumaru. <3 So cute, and it reminds me of Piplup. xD But is the Grass Pokemon US name Smugleaf? Or did u make it up? o.O

Cyberglass
May 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Mijumaru. <3 So cute, and it reminds me of Piplup. xD But is the Grass Pokemon US name Smugleaf? Or did u make it up? o.O

The official US name hasn't been announced, people are just calling it that.

Bluerang1
May 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
I guess I should re-post my names here:

Tsutaja: Sneavi - (Snake - leaf - ivy) originally Leavi (Leaf -ivy) Bu tjust now, I decided to add "Sn" for "snake" as that's what it is. Also "Snea" is like "Sneaky":)

Pokabu: Flarig - (Flare - flame - pig)

Mijuramu: Tosea - (Otter - sea)

Hope you like them :)

☆DiaIsDia☆
May 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I'll be choosing Mijumaru. Simply because water pokemon DOMINATE! =D xD The when I get the other version, Pokabu. Then the third version, Tsutaaja.

Ashe~
May 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM

I love the water type too :D

so cute

Vrai
May 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM

People just use that to reference it. I think Mijumaru's reference name is Wotter, and Pokabu's is Pignition or Pignite, I think. Maybe, anyway.

TyranitarKing
May 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
i would totally pick the grass starter i bet itll look badass on its last evolution :D

brian1666
May 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Pokabu is fun! I like it and i'm gonna choose it!

Myles
May 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
I don't like Mijumiru's official appearance at all. But some of the fanart I've seen of it look a lot better, so who knows.

Tsutaja doesn't look too bad officially, but the fanart has still improved it. I like the look of Pokabu, although the colour scheme could probably be improved; and I haven't seen any fanart of it yet.

Although they'll probably grow on me, like the previous ones did.

Harmony
May 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM

Father in heaven I hope it's last form is something like that! <33
lol
tsutaaja, Mijimaru, Pokabu ( I think this is the order)
Anyways, right now I'm going with Tsutaaja. It's sort of weird because I don't usually go the grass starters ( - chikorita lol). It was the one I instantly fell in love with, I think it's cause of it's eyes. haha.

My second choice right now would probably be mijimaru..
Cause as unappealing as I think it is, I have a feeling it'll be a nice looking pokemon later on after it evolves, plus the type mat ch ups might not be so bad either. :p

Third choice will probably be Pokabu. Don't get me wrong it's super cute atm, but I have a feeling that will change. I can see it evolving into this ugly fat boar looking thing with like mamoswine tusks(not as huge as mamoswine) and red eyes etc. rofl Not something I'd want on my team.
But ya who knows? I could be wrong.

DoctorFred
May 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
I usually pick the Grass or Water starters, but for Gen V i'm picking Pokabu. :D

PiPVoda
May 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I guess I should re-post my names here:

Tsutaja: Sneavi - (Snake - leaf - ivy) originally Leavi (Leaf -ivy) Bu tjust now, I decided to add "Sn" for "snake" as that's what it is. Also "Snea" is like "Sneaky":)

Pokabu: Flarig - (Flare - flame - pig)

Mijuramu: Tosea - (Otter - sea)

Hope you like them :)

love the names bluerang! Especially Tosea (it could work). Flarig is okay, Sneavi reminds me of Sneaville. The names really could be based off of anything. I read on bulbapedia that Piplup's name comes from 'pip' (early stages of a bird) and 'plup or plop' for the noise they make when young or hatching..something like that, and it also mentioned some greek influences, especially for Empoleon.

Taichi
May 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'll continue picking Fire starter as always. SO I'll be picking Flameboar.
Smugleaf also looks cool.
I'm nuetral on Flotter.

raekuul
May 23rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
I still say the names are going to be (at some point)Leavenom, Baykin, and Wotter.

What? Wotter is a perfectly valid punny name for the English localization.

PiPVoda
May 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
I still say the names are going to be (at some point)Leavenom, Baykin, and Wotter.

What? Wotter is a perfectly valid punny name for the English localization.

Leavenom---leafeon
Baykin---BACON LOLWTF?!!!
Wotter----:embarrass just....no :laugh:

Pokabu's name should stay the same and the other two should be changed.

Sammuthegreat
May 24th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Smugleaf, Pignition and Wotter are still the best names I've heard.

As for Pignition's evolutions, Emboar and Blazorback are the best I've seen.

Droidz
May 24th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I usually go for the Fire type starter, but I'm going to choose the Grass type this time. It looks awesome, It's a grass snake!

ThePinkDragon
May 24th, 2010, 03:45 AM
It'd be a hard choice between Pokabu and Mijuramu. However, I think I'd start off with Pokabu. This is mostly because I'm a sucker for pigs and anything pig-like. I'm usually all about the Grass Starter, but I guess I have a thing for round Pokèmon. :D

Deathmoon412
May 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I want Pokabu because I want him to turn into some giant boar.

Opposite Day
May 24th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Idk if this has been posted here already, but I think this really reflects how people reacted to the B&W starters (myself included XD)
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/139/5/7/lol_starter_drama_by_The_Blue_Pangolin.jpg

fenyx4
May 24th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Likely going to be nicknaming Pokabu as Razorback (sounds awesome; a beast with razors lining its back as a formidable defense!) Really hoping that the official name for Pokabu's final evo is Pignition (Such an awesome name. The only thing is that it'll probably end up being something totally different. If Pignition had never come up as a speculation name, it probably would've had a chance... :( Unless the developers just so happen to be searching around on the forums for ideas and end up using Pignition as an actual name...that would be so awesome. Argh...that's the thing about speculation...winds up being something totally different at times. Well, who knows, only time can tell!

I would also be pleased if Tsutaaja was kept during translation. It's so fun to say and looks cool as well!

The only quibble I have with nicknaming Pokabu as Razorback is that I already have the name Razor set for my Sceptile, so seeing "Go! RAZOR and RAZORBACK!" in battle will seem kind of repetitive with the "Razor" part. I was considering lengthening Sceptile's nickname to RazorBlade but that seems to wreck it a bit... Ehh...simply having the name Razor alone exudes more of a threat, IMO. I don't know, simply adding 'blade' to the name makes the whole nickname seem less creative/stylish...wonder why the name "Leaf Blade" doesn't bother me at all...?

And I hope someone in an anime one day has Mijumaru as their name (really fun to say as well! Only reason I don't want it as the Gen V Water Starter's name is because I see the -maru suffix way too many times in anime these days.)

PiPVoda
May 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Smugleaf, Pignition and Wotter are still the best names I've heard.

As for Pignition's evolutions, Emboar and Blazorback are the best I've seen.

Smugleaf wouldn't work though, remember Smeargle? Pignition....ummm, too awkward to be a starter name IMO. Wotter is the best, but remember Wooper?

The names of the starters have to be cute, so I don't think nintendo would use these names. We could wind up with anything after all, there is no telling what the evos of the 3 are and names could be based off of the forms of their final evolutions.

It'd be a hard choice between Pokabu and Mijuramu. However, I think I'd start off with Pokabu. This is mostly because I'm a sucker for pigs and anything pig-like. I'm usually all about the Grass Starter, but I guess I have a thing for round Pokèmon. :D

FINALLY somebody who actually LIKES Mijumaru and will possibly pick it not because of sympathy but because it's cute and will probably be really strong when it evolves. People seem to forget the water starters are usually great choices and can beat most other types single-handedly. No hating on Tsutaaja (since it is cute and may be the best grass starter since Treeko) but if it evolves into grass/dragon then all it would take is to teach Mijumaru's evos ice beam and it's down for the counting. :shocked:

Zeph.
May 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Idk if this has been posted here already, but I think this really reflects how people reacted to the B&W starters (myself included XD)
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/139/5/7/lol_starter_drama_by_The_Blue_Pangolin.jpg

I'll confess being slightly guilty to that :P

Can't beat a good reference! xD You are my favourite person of the day.

Lanturnista
May 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Tsutaja for sure. I just love its design. In fact, I probably won't evolve it unless its evos are really, really, really awesome.

On the other version, probably Mijumaru. But that might depend on the evos.

Mew396
May 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Yea Tsutaaja has the best design so I'll definiteley be using him.

Bluemoon
May 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I like Tsutaja cause of the 3 he looks the coolest and because he is a snake... i just dont like the type because i prefer water type..

stu30
May 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
The grass type starter looks kinda cool. The fire type looks ok, but it kinda looks like a turtwig.The water type starter is just wierd because it looks like a piplup and a mime jr combined. Don't know where that came from :P

Bloothump
May 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm scooping up Mijumaru and never letting him go :3
I don't need no stinkin' third evo comformation. Mostly because I plan to buy all three games and have a different starter on each. I promised myself that I wouldn't look up any 5th gen pokemon once they were released (other than the starters, and Zorua/Zoruark) and that includes the starter evolutions. While everyone else is satisfied with their choice because of the threevo, I'll be completely surprised, which, to me is better. See, when I got Sapphire, the only pokemon I knew of was Lotad, because it was in the commercial. Third gen has been my most profound pokemon experience because of that, and so I'm mimmicking it with fifth gen, which I trust will be my favorite generation to date. I kind of ruined Pearl because every pokemon I encountered I was just like "I remember that one from serebii, what's the english name?" So... yeah. [/rant]

Azzurra
May 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I don't mind the Grass type starter. It reminds me of Treecko and Cyndaquil. So, I guess I'll be choosing him.

tsutaajafan95
May 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I love Tsutaja!! He will be my choice when it comes out!! The pig is okay and the otter is cute, but the little grass snake wins my love. ALso look in my siggy, theres a picture i found on photobucket of its final evo!! although its probably fake cause i didnt find the other two starters evos, but still it s cool!

Phazon
May 25th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I actually don't like any of them. I'm more bothered about seeing the final evos though, cuz I'll be stuck with them in the long run.

Kristine
May 25th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I'll be picking Pokabu simply because I always go with the fire-type starter no matter how ugly it is. I haven't actually liked any of the starter Pokemon since Generation 1, so I'll likely be swapping it out for something I like better at the first opportunity.

StarryLatiasGirl
May 25th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I love Tsutaja!! He will be my choice when it comes out!! The pig is okay and the otter is cute, but the little grass snake wins my love. ALso look in my siggy, theres a picture i found on photobucket of its final evo!! although its probably fake cause i didnt find the other two starters evos, but still it s cool!

Haha, that sprite has been found already? XD Yeah, it's fake, I made it. The animation for it is in my avatar.

Leki
May 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Pokabu. It's so cuuuute. I like how in the battle clips it hops and it's ears twitch.

I would like to see new Abilities. The onse they always stick with the starters are basically usless. But I'll make due. I'll get to attached to not battle with it. x3

....will never get that otter PKMN.